China Economy: News & Discussion

DEV1729

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
My guess is that he is a Taiwanese rebel. Posting of CCP and Chinese greatness in an effort to breed resentment, envy or even hatred against the CCP, China and Chinese people. I like China and the Chinese and his posts often frustrate/annoy me. :) I am quick to anger and rage. Marked me a bad man.
You are a CCP wumao

KurtisBrian

Country flag
Same reason why they are on top of the US market as well.

Germans and Japanese make good cars!
He asked a good question. It is VERY interesting. Koreans and Japanese don't buy foreign cars. I think they NEVER did. They try to block most Western non luxury items. Yet Chinese are willing and eager to buy "Western" stuff and in HUGE numbers. Even Buick was a top seller for a long time.
maybe I should say, "foreign" stuff instead of "Western"

Last edited:

SexyChineseLady

He asked a good question. It is VERY interesting. Koreans and Japanese don't buy foreign cars. I think they NEVER did. They try to block most Western non luxury items. Yet Chinese are willing and eager to buy "Western" stuff and in HUGE numbers. Even Buick was a top seller for a long time.
maybe I should say, "foreign" stuff instead of "Western"
Japanese and Koreans blocked foreign cars when their industries were ramping up. China used the joint venture model where all foreign cars are made in China. All of the foreign brands sell the vast majority of their vehicles from Chinese factories.

Japan and Korea protected their brands. China just created jobs. Maybe protect local brands when West gets more hostile.

KurtisBrian

Country flag
Japanese and Koreans blocked foreign cars when their industries were ramping up. China used the joint venture model where all foreign cars are made in China. All of the foreign brands sell the vast majority of their vehicles from Chinese factories.

Japan and Korea protected their brands. China just created jobs. Maybe protect local brands when West gets more hostile.
yeah, but I'd say Japan still blocks foreign cars and brands...except luxury goods or might even just be their Nazi Catholic/half Taoist and German allies goods.
Korea mostly the same but also has a couple joint ventures (like China does) probably in order to cheaply obtain technology.

btw do you know what factor SUPPLY might play in Chinese consumer purchase choices? ie is there far more money and wealth than autos to buy? Perhaps the limiting factor is road space and fuel and thus gov't restrictions.
Chinese and Indians who move to Canada usually seem to have huge sums of money with which to buy up or take housing.

If Chinese need to become more protectionist it is okay. Pretty much everyone does whatever they can to protect themselves.

no smoking

Country flag
Can u tell me one thing why Chinese are more interested in Volkswagen Toyota and Honda
Volkswagen was the first one set up JV to produce locally in 1980s. They had been marking their cars as high-end brand successfully since then. So, if you are rich but not rich enough to pay the luxury import tax, local produced Volkswagen is your best choice.

Toyota and Honda were those entering Chinese market earliest. Since then, they create an impression of reliability and proprietary price among Chinese public. If you are middle class and you want to have minimum trouble with car on maintenance, Japanese brand is good.

Unlike most of members in this forum thought, improving industrial products quality is a long term project (at least 30-50 years). It will be even longer if you want to build it on local supplies chain. So far, Chinese products' qualities are still lagging behind, people is still buying them for the cheap price even though the gap is getting narrowed. But as we all know, poor people doesn't buy cars.

rockdog

Country flag
I didn't ask about usa
I just wanted to know Chinese mentality while they buy cars and the basis of their choice
General question
1. For conventional cars, the competition is over, VW and Toyota, GM make good cars and with 50-100 yrs of brand reputation, Chinese comsumers especially mid class trust them.

2. Same as S.Korea and Japan, the rich class still love BBA (BMW, Benz, Audi)

3. The EV market is providing a good opportunities to new local brands, government and investors believe this is the same chance as Chinese brands to gain the market share when Apple led smartphone changed the whole market ecosystem 12 yrs ago.

4. Some new EV brands are selling higher price than Telsa in China: BYD, Nio, Xpeng, Li Auto are selling with $45,000 per and the sum of sales is more than Telsa monthly sales.

Eg. The Li Auto's Type One with $50,000, the monthly sales is 14,800, it's the number lager than the sum of all the mid-large size SUV from VW would make in one month.

5. Chinese consumers love new EV brands, and willing to pay even higher prices than traditional luxury brands. Actually, 2021 Chinese luxury EV brands sold around 300,000, in fact they ate the those BBA's share.

0.jpg

SexyChineseLady

1. For conventional cars, the competition is over, VW and Toyota, GM make good cars and with 50-100 yrs of brand reputation, Chinese comsumers especially mid class trust them.

2. Same as S.Korea and Japan, the rich class still love BBA (BMW, Benz, Audi)

3. The EV market is providing a good opportunities to new local brands, government and investors believe this is the same chance as Chinese brands to gain the market share when Apple led smartphone changed the whole market ecosystem 12 yrs ago.

4. Some new EV brands are selling higher price than Telsa in China: BYD, Nio, Xpeng, Li Auto are selling with $45,000 per and the sum of sales is more than Telsa monthly sales.

Eg. The Li Auto's Type One with $50,000, the monthly sales is 14,800, it's the number lager than the sum of all the mid-large size SUV from VW would make in one month.

5. Chinese consumers love new EV brands, and willing to pay even higher prices than traditional luxury brands. Actually, 2021 Chinese luxury EV brands sold around 300,000, in fact they ate the those BBA's share.

View attachment 137755
Yup. EV is where Chinese brands have equal footing. But even here, China allowed Tesla to come in during a trade war when the US was blocking Huawei. It means strengthening the competition in your own market.

So why do it? It is a strategic decision, China believes in its workers gaining new skills and the country gaining the plants.

Some top foreign companies eventually lost out. VW, Benz, Toyota, BMW and Honda are good and had held out for decades. Hyundai used to be a top five company in China. Now it is 19. Jeep had plummetted out of the top 30.

rockdog

Country flag
yeah, but I'd say Japan still blocks foreign cars and brands...except luxury goods or might even just be their Nazi Catholic/half Taoist and German allies goods.
Korea mostly the same but also has a couple joint ventures (like China does) probably in order to cheaply obtain technology.

btw do you know what factor SUPPLY might play in Chinese consumer purchase choices? ie is there far more money and wealth than autos to buy? Perhaps the limiting factor is road space and fuel and thus gov't restrictions.
Chinese and Indians who move to Canada usually seem to have huge sums of money with which to buy up or take housing.

If Chinese need to become more protectionist it is okay. Pretty much everyone does whatever they can to protect themselves.
Population size like korea and japan can protect local market like this, once they build one or five brands the whole country would become rich.

but how a billion class nation to do so? we need to benefit western nations,then we have access to them. another negative sample is inida, the protectism didn't make their auto industry strong.

SexyChineseLady

Here is where China's strategy with Tesla pays off -- Tesla exports twice as from their Shanghai plant as it sells in China, Chinese battery pack for Tesla cars, 2nd Giga factory, million car capacity

SexyChineseLady

China is creating a base and a partnership for Elon Musk. It would not be that far fetched that SpaceX might eventually have a factory in China!

ym888

Here is where China's strategy with Tesla pays off -- Tesla exports twice as from their Shanghai plant as it sells in China, Chinese battery pack for Tesla cars, 2nd Giga factory, million car capacity

Shenyang has no seaport, which is not conducive to import and export.

SexyChineseLady

Unprecedented change in GDP in China where the second place nation (Poland) was not even close!

Between 1990 to 2020, China's economy grew nearly 3600%! Poland at 857% at number 2.

3C91E979-5857-47EA-85A1-28C9D61BE6F3.jpeg

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles