Camouflages and Uniforms of the Indian Armed Forces, The Past, Present and Future

Physx32

Country flag
Since when NIFT started making MTPs?
Of course it's a copy. You can't expect a fashion institute to develop a completely new camo lol. Instead army should make jv with dedicated labs if they want new camo. With so many options (whether copied or not), it's the army who selected this ugly uniform. You can't blame others for this.

Anandhu Krishna

Of course it's a copy. You can't expect a fashion institute to develop a completely new camo lol. Instead army should make jv with dedicated labs if they want new camo. With so many options (whether copied or not), it's the army who selected this ugly uniform. You can't blame others for this.
I'm not surprised. I knew its going to be bad. I hope at least they are going to stop using all the bright coloured insignia on the camo.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
This camo is suitable for the semi-arid terrain of Gujarat, MP and Rajasthan. What exactly are we going to be hunting in these states?

Tell me what good does it do in:

1) Ladakh, Arunachal, north Sikkim, east Uttarakhand and Northeast Himachal
2) Green plains of Punjab & Jammu
3) Golden sands of Rajasthan
4) Lush green forests of Manipur, Mizoram, Assam & Meghalaya.

There is so much yellow in there, it is as if the uniform was designed for the army to do a dandiya dance with the lions of Gir forest reserve.
As @FalconSlayers said, we need theatre-based camo. There is no camouflage in this world that will work in all Indian terrains.

This camo will work in jungles, plains, and semi-arid conditions just fine. Basically where there is vegetation and mud.

LaIllahaSigmar

Country flag
Just my guess, “scanning this code will give out details of its user, in case soldiers get injured, lost, or become PoW”.
Will be useful for security aswell.

We have seen many cases of terrorists wearing our army fatigues.

Army has repeatedly raised this issue and easy availability of their old camo.

In the future, we may also see something similar to what the Chinese have done here:

5d94d4e387966d0b3923a5f1.jpeg

Dharmic_Crusader

Country flag
Will be useful for security aswell.

We have seen many cases of terrorists wearing our army fatigues.

Army has repeatedly raised this issue and easy availability of their old camo.

In the future, we may also see something similar to what the Chinese have done here:

View attachment 131415
If the latest version of any product is available.... Logic would dictate that you upgrade to the latest, most lethal version if its avaiable at the same price, or if Its within ur budget.

But when it comes IA, Logic holds no water... They, as usual, like to operate beyond Logic...In the 5th Dimension.:dude:

You Gentlemen will be long dead before IA decides to bring this concept in the mainstream.

ShouvikGhosh

Country flag
:hmm: how will this new camo work in ladakh ?

i dont get it , chinese have 5 camo variants for diff terrain , that seem like the obvious choice.

We can ask for 5 different camos for our Indian soldiers. But in the present system where a soldier is supported to source his own material & get it stitched using government allowance.
The soldiers has to source 5 different camos and make 2 pairs each, so10 sets of uniform.
I don't think IA is going to invest so much for uniforms of non commissioned officers, Jawans.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
We can ask for 5 different camos for our Indian soldiers. But in the present system where a soldier is supported to source his own material & get it stitched using government allowance.
The soldiers has to source 5 different camos and make 2 pairs each, so10 sets of uniform.
I don't think IA is going to invest so much for uniforms of non commissioned officers, Jawans.
The new uniform will be supplied by forces and will come in readymade sizes. So the responsibility of sourcing and stitching uniforms will go away.

Also, it is not strictly required for all soldiers to have all pairs of uniforms. They can be issued according to the theatres.

ShouvikGhosh

Country flag
The new uniform will be supplied by forces and will come in readymade sizes. So the responsibility of sourcing and stitching uniforms will go away.

Also, it is not strictly required for all soldiers to have all pairs of uniforms. They can be issued according to the theatres.
Yes the new system does away with some of the problems.
But still during emergency deployment. If central command troops are fast deployed to northern command , one of the issues would be to provide appropriate uniforms. So the Army also has to maintain additional stock pile of uniforms , like ammunition. An un necessary logistics problem. And by the end of his tenure a soldier would definitely have almost all 10 sets of uniforms.

Last edited:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
This looks better than the stock image we were presented earlier. Is less yellow, more realistic and will blend in reasonably well with the general semi-arid/green terrains. While this can be a standard, I am eager to see other camos for other terrains.

Ideal way to bring down the cost would be to reduce ceremonial uniforms to just 2 per regiment - one with traditional like Sikh LI/Rajputana Rifles/Madras regiment, Gurkha, etc. and the other for award ceremonies on Republic Day/medal felicitations.

ShouvikGhosh

Country flag
Maybe

Maybe the solution is , the creation of integrated theatre commands & standardized of IA uniform associated with each theatre command. This may do away with the problems associated with rapid redeployment of troops , especially logistics or changing uniforms ( if IA goes for multiple camos eventually )

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
As @FalconSlayers said, we need theatre-based camo. There is no camouflage in this world that will work in all Indian terrains.

This camo will work in jungles, plains, and semi-arid conditions just fine. Basically where there is vegetation and mud.
Yup. point taken. I really don't want to see a repeat of this shit:

1642020923667.png
1642020956256.png

If I were a Pakistani/Chini sniper, I won't be needing my scope to take them out.

Global Defence

Articles