Camouflages and Uniforms of the Indian Armed Forces, The Past, Present and Future

MIDKNIGHT FENERIR-00

VICTORIOUM AUT MORS
This Tread is Created to Discuss the Camouflages and Uniforms of the Indian Armed Forces from the Past, Present and Future. Armed Forces Includes other than Army, Navy and Air Force all the Paramilitaries, CAPF, Local Police Forces and Counter-Insurgency and Terrorist Units across the country. Please Contribute to the thread with all info you have.

Last edited:

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
I think this is the best standard issue DPM for IA Infantry in the future!!
Based on multicam pattern, suitable for multiple terrains India has except desert environment!!
1st option :-
fb3fec19862965a4df198a89e4bd36da.jpg

2nd option :-
49e5bd632610ea81ce70dfdecf3ab25c.jpg

For desert environment, its another subject altogether!! First pattern comes to my mind, is
For Full Arid conditions, like Thar, then Tan colour should be dominant
Eg:-
82ab37b158c6d303ddbf7939c726866e.jpg

For Semi-Arid conditions
6f799e4e4e9e3c5f055aaf3e56f06793.jpg

Killbot

Country flag
Multicam variant under trials by the Indian Army. It'll be used in Arid, semi arid and mountainous terrains and probably in urban areas as well. So we need a pattern for tropical regions.

images (7).jpeg

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
Multicam variant under trials by the Indian Army. It'll be used in Arid, semi arid and mountainous terrains and probably in urban areas as well. So we need a pattern for tropical regions.

View attachment 65799
Will IA have two sets of camouflage in the future?? I think that concept is very narrow and only stick to one!! It would be good we if we had two sets of uniform.

MIDKNIGHT FENERIR-00

VICTORIOUM AUT MORS
I think this is the best standard issue DPM for IA Infantry in the future!!
Based on multicam pattern, suitable for multiple terrains India has except desert environment!!
1st option :-
View attachment 65793
2nd option :-
View attachment 65794
For desert environment, its another subject altogether!! First pattern comes to my mind, is
For Full Arid conditions, like Thar, then Tan colour should be dominant
Eg:-
View attachment 65795
For Semi-Arid conditions
View attachment 65796
I think Fleckentarn is a better Camo than Multicam. Multicam is overused now. Almost all countries in the world now have some form Multicam Uniforms.

MIDKNIGHT FENERIR-00

VICTORIOUM AUT MORS

View attachment 65799
Indian Army needs issue subdued Military Formation Patches and Qualification Patches and Tabs for soldiers on the frontline.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
I think Fleckentarn is a better Camo than Multicam. Multicam is overused now. Almost all countries in the world now have some form Multicam Uniforms.
Hahaha, Last thing we want is the copyright claim from the Germans for using fleckentarn pattern, also its actually a failed camouflage pattern since not many countries opt for it, other than Germany and some Nordic countries!!
Since India has multiple terrains and climates, but go for DPM and dedicated desert pattern camo.

Killbot

Country flag
Will IA have two sets of camouflage in the future?? I think that concept is very narrow and only stick to one!! It would be good we if we had two sets of uniform.
No, I think they are going to adopt theater specific camo.. I've heard that from an acquaintance in the military, but he isn't involved in the testing of samples, so he might have been wrong.

Killbot

Country flag
The one IA is testing seems pretty unique to me. It's swatches are shaped like those on the British Multi Terrain Pattern, and the color palette seems suited for arid, semi arid and mountainous terrain. It can probably be fairly effective in areas with light foliage as well, owing to the use of shades of green.

I think similar one with a different color palette will be for areas with heavy foliage. Or, they might just stick with the current DPM for such areas. Which is just as well, because DPM is pretty effective in the jungles and such, especially when faded..

I don't think flecktarn is nearly as versatile as multicam, which is why multicam is so widely used.

The one we are trialing or some variation of it will be selected for service soon and be issued in 5-6 years. It'll see widespread use in another 8-9 years, maybe. However, front line troops might get it much sooner.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
No, I think they are going to adopt theater specific camo.. I've heard that from an acquaintance in the military, but he isn't involved in the testing of samples, so he might have been wrong.
Even better!!! But the problem is even in every Theatre, the climate and nature is diverse, so I don't know how it's going to work out!!

MIDKNIGHT FENERIR-00

VICTORIOUM AUT MORS
Hahaha, Last thing we want is the copyright claim from the Germans for using fleckentarn pattern, also its actually a failed camouflage pattern since not many countries opt for it, other than Germany and some Nordic countries!!
Since India has multiple terrains and climates, but go for DPM and dedicated desert pattern camo.
I don’t think Fleckentarn is a failed Camo. It’s an excellent Camo which has worked well for the Germans in different terrain. They have used different variations of it all the way from the forests of Europe to Cold Wastelands of the Arctic and down to the Arid/Desert Areas of Afghanistan. I mean it will be a bigger copyright infringement if we start copying and mass Producing the British MTP. I believe the Copyright for the Pattern is owned by the British MOD and Multicam is owned by Crye.

Last edited:

MIDKNIGHT FENERIR-00

VICTORIOUM AUT MORS
The one IA is testing seems pretty unique to me. It's swatches are shaped like those on the British Multi Terrain Pattern, and the color palette seems suited for arid, semi arid and mountainous terrain. It can probably be fairly effective in areas with light foliage as well, owing to the use of shades of green.

I think similar one with a different color palette will be for areas with heavy foliage. Or, they might just stick with the current DPM for such areas. Which is just as well, because DPM is pretty effective in the jungles and such, especially when faded..

I don't think flecktarn is nearly as versatile as multicam, which is why multicam is so widely used.

The one we are trialing or some variation of it will be selected for service soon and be issued in 5-6 years. It'll see widespread use in another 8-9 years, maybe. However, front line troops might get it much sooner.
The Reason I believe Multicam is now widely produced and used is because the Americans themselves. US Military is a trendsetter for the rest of world with every other state and non-state actor following there footsteps in adopting uniforms and equipment both there friends and even there enemies. Most countries want there forces to look elite like the US Armed Forces.

MIDKNIGHT FENERIR-00

VICTORIOUM AUT MORS

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
Coming to think about it, India doesn't have its own designed camouflage pattern, where most top 30 militaristic countries have their own pattern designed in their country!!
For eg:-
South Korean DPM
3057a0a008ac299635c96b618f7d34aa.jpg

Other unknown country's Pentagon pattern!!
dfde163cc6dc90c20cf68efe86be9d7d.jpg

55c41edecd6c2980f5e02166e7c68bad.jpg

Indonesian Army’s newly designed pattern
98fb485e702a64a1ec4f80b32acdcd9e.jpg

MIDKNIGHT FENERIR-00

VICTORIOUM AUT MORS
Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles