BrahMos Cruise Missile

Galaxy

Country flag
The Army is a secondary customer. The primary captive customer is the Navy. We have around 7 ships with Brahmos missiles and each have between 30 to 40 of them. All new capital ships will carry Brahmos. The order book for Navy is the largest with some 20 odd frigates and destroyers coming online within the next few years.

The two regiments raised for the Army have around 240-260 missiles in them, not 125.

Pretty good numbers. Production will be between 200-300 a year by 2013. That's why Russia is hurrying up with transferring technology so we can manufacture the engines here. The Russian plant cannot handle the backlog of orders. We will have 2 companies handling engine manufacture.
1 Regiment consists 61 Missiles. This is what i read from multiple sources. As far as Navy, May be 100 odd Missiles. I don't think it will be more than that. Still It's not more than 225 in so many years. If you have any source which tells we have more, Kindly do post.

Last edited:

agentperry

You have summed it up, I didn't know Brahmos Aerospace Inc comes to your college. Which college do you study in IIT ? The idea should be to check for basics and train these freshers. From our educational system, or for that matter most other systems, we can't expect industry ready graduates, can we ?
they go to iit and top 25 clgs of India and mine is at no 8 this year( not iit but i dont care). people are recruited for production lines only and few for R&D. most of the R&D for brahmos design and development was done by russia and only new and improved softwares are given out by Indians

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Indo-Russian JVs are supposed to export arms only to countries which are mutually close to both New Delhi & Moscow.

IA/IN did place large orders but there are always user inputs coming in to enhance the missile characteristics or to tune specific performance parameters. I'm yet to see anyone from IA or IN expressing unhappiness over missile delivery rate. So I don't think production rate is problem unless somebody is ready to believe that we are going to war early morning tomorrow.

Also Brahmos is very expensive so its little difficult to find customers who can put sizable orders which will considerably appreciate their defense capability.

--

I am really confused with all these News.
You never know if that is the plan to keep everyone confused.

Defcon 1

Country flag
1st Brahmos regiment was ordered in 2004 and inducted in 2007. 2nd few days back. So 7 years and only 2 Regiment (122 Missiles). Per year production = 15-20.
i read somewhere brahmos was inducted as a part of army in 2007......doesn't matter, my fault probably, still, the third regiment is estimated to be inducted in 2013, that means we are accelarating....

Defcon 1

Country flag
they go to iit and top 25 clgs of India and mine is at no 8 this year( not iit but i dont care). people are recruited for production lines only and few for R&D. most of the R&D for brahmos design and development was done by russia and only new and improved softwares are given out by Indians
which college are u from btw???/

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
A Brahmos battery contains 4 launchers with three missiles for a total of 12. Each regiment contains 4-5 batteries for a total of 48-60 missiles. Two regiments is 100-120. The Talwars are the only ships being fitted with Brahmos at the moment and they only carry 8 for a total of 24 delivered. There is no serial production of air launched Brahmos.

Galaxy

Country flag
A Brahmos battery contains 4 launchers with three missiles for a total of 12. Each regiment contains 4-5 batteries for a total of 48-60 missiles. Two regiments is 100-120. The Talwars are the only ships being fitted with Brahmos at the moment and they only carry 8 for a total of 24 delivered. There is no serial production of air launched Brahmos.
That means around 125-150 Missiles are operational. I also said the same earlier.

Anyway, May be we have more and MoD don't want to highlight on public domain otherwise only 1 word - Pathetic !!

agentperry

its nice to have intelligent folks here, however, i doubt ur claim that brahmos goes to IITs....they recently setup an excellence centre at IISc
they do serious recruiting. 6 people from my college only and many from iit, though i dont know the exact no but yes they do take people. in iits and here in dce they give 6 lakh rs package and after the decision of psu- all, to not to go to campus for recruitment, people wil go to brahmos, thats for sure

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
That means around 125-150 Missiles are operational. I also said the same earlier.

Anyway, May be we have more and MoD don't want to highlight on public domain otherwise only 1 word - Pathetic !!
There is nothing hidden, it is pathetic results as usual from GoI. That is why there is such a huge backlog. They aren't filling orders!

SPIEZ

Country flag
they do serious recruiting. 6 people from my college only and many from iit, though i dont know the exact no but yes they do take people. in iits and here in dce they give 6 lakh rs package and after the decision of psu- all, to not to go to campus for recruitment, people wil go to brahmos, thats for sure
How d you get in DCE ? AIEEE ?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Brahmos is tested 25 times so far, it has three versions, one is anti ship version, second is land attack version block I and third is land attack version block II, so even if we take 3 missile each for tests of these versions (standard practice of DRDO) rest can be consider tested from production versions. Thus 16 missile are tested from random selection production batch, this would give you some sort of figure for actual brahmos in service. This is my guess.

Now how many missile per batch is made we have to see Russian practice in this regard.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
The production speed is pathetic. Forget exports, I doubt our own military will be able to arm itself at this rate. We need automated assemblies that can make at least 50-100 missiles per year.

The company is sitting pretty with an order book of $5 billion from the Indian armed forces. "We have an option of exporting the missile, but have refrained though there are enquiries as the domestic demand is very huge," Mr Pillai told Business Line here.
Pathetic excuse for not putting more work force into use and exporting to potentially allied nations like Vietnam and Indonesia who will become strong India supporters.

p2prada

Wrong information.

For the Navy,
The Rajput class destroyers were the first ships to carry Brahmos, 3 in total with a presumed 48 missiles on each.

The Talwar class followed. 3 in total with a presumed 24 missiles in each.

That's a total of 216 missiles(estimated operational) for the Navy.

Upcoming fleet:
Kolkata class(Project 15A) will start coming in from 2012 and 2 more in consecutive years. So, they will each need 48 missiles, if not more. 7 ships are to be built.

Shivalik class(Project 17). 12 of them will carry Brahmos. Upgrade has not begun yet with the existing ships.

Project 17A and Project 15B will carry Brahmos II, so it's moot to the discussion.

For the Army,
The first regiment of the Army has 67 Block I missiles with 67 more in reserve. Meaning these are not carried to the battlefield and will be transported as and when needed. That's a total of 134 already active missiles.

The second regiment could already have 67 Block II missiles operational since the regiment has been raised. So, expect the next batch of 67 to follow within 2 years end along with the orders for 3rd regiment. All this while building missiles for Talwar classs and Kolkata class ships at the same time.

So, do the math.

As for Air force version, it has not even been flight tested, so serial production is moot as of now.

plugwater

^^^ Kolkata class delayed by three years. First ship will be inducted in 2015.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles