BrahMos Cruise Missile

Koovie

We wont export this missile to anyone with this productionspeed...........

p2prada

60-65 Missiles.
The Army has ordered 134 Block I missiles and 240 Block II missiles.

Regiment 861 has 67+67(reserve) Block I missiles. Two more regiments(862 and 863) will follow with Block II missiles.

Two more regiments are in the works from what I know. Both will be deployed along China border and will have Block III version which can dive vertically.

p2prada

$5 billion... That is an insane backlog for one weapon. Why aren't they pumping them out?
The orders are for over 500 missiles today and will climb again up and over a large number already delivered. Even at 100 missiles a year, that is 5 years. The corporation says the Armed forces needs are for 1000 missiles and another 1000 in the export market. It is actually much higher for India because the Army itself has ordered 334 missiles and plans to order another 240 missiles for 5 regiments. Navy and Air force don't count.

Russia will also be placing an order once their Frigates construction has matured a bit. They are planning 20 frigates, so no idea of numbers required.

A second production line is being set up in India. I guess they gave a 2012 date of completion. Apart from BATL, one more company will manufacture engines. Current production can be assumed to be at least 100 missiles every year and is set to double pretty soon.

Galaxy

Country flag
The orders are for over 500 missiles today and will climb again up and over a large number already delivered. Even at 100 missiles a year, that is 5 years. The corporation says the Armed forces needs are for 1000 missiles and another 1000 in the export market. It is actually much higher for India because the Army itself has ordered 334 missiles and plans to order another 240 missiles for 5 regiments. Navy and Air force don't count.

Russia will also be placing an order once their Frigates construction has matured a bit. They are planning 20 frigates, so no idea of numbers required.

A second production line is being set up in India. I guess they gave a 2012 date of completion. Apart from BATL, one more company will manufacture engines. Current production can be assumed to be at least 100 missiles every year and is set to double pretty soon.
If Current production rate is around 100 per year then how come only 125 Missiles (2 Regiments) inducted in last 7 years ??

Last edited:

SPIEZ

Country flag
fat order book and lazy production line. pathetic work culture.
Stop showing you frustration here AP. Do think about the organisation after the order of 1000 missiles. What will happen to all those people employed and trained for this job ? Which aerospace industry will they work for after that? What about the huge money that is spent on infrastructure ? should the tax payers money go to further waste ?

Galaxy

Country flag
Stop showing you frustration here AP. Do think about the organisation after the order of 1000 missiles. What will happen to all those people employed and trained for this job ? Which aerospace industry will they work for after that? What about the huge money that is spent on infrastructure ? should the tax payers money go to further waste ?
Actually he is saying the truth. 7 years and only 125 missiles induced and few for Navy ? Common. It's pathetic. Are we planning to have 1,000 Missiles in 25 years ?

We need to change this work culture and procedure. It's very slow. by this speed, It won't serve our purpose if God forbid we face 2 front war.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Actually he is saying the truth. 7 years and only 125 missiles induced and few for Navy ? Common. It's pathetic. Are we planning to have 1,000 Missiles in 25 years ?

We need to change this work culture and procedure. It's very slow. by this speed, It won't serve our purpose if God forbid we face 2 front war.
Yes! I agree the structure should be changed. The existing infrastructure facility can be expanded to increase production.

The Govt, must take steps to bring in the required work force and keep them there. Once they take care of the economics, development will not be far away.

agentperry

the production line should not be too slow to field 67 missiles in 7 years. regarding the workers, its not paddy field that once orders dry up people are sent back to home. its an organization and for survival it should market and develop existing and new products, find new customer, diversify. iai, imi and other israeli, european missile manufacturers are not shutting down there facility but instead they prefer making new weapons and sell there products to world which is made up of 190+ nations with most of them having army and enemies.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Mr.Pillai talks the same thing over & over again. He should visit potential customer countries & make the announcements there for better marketing.

Brahmos missile is accepted as crucial element in India's offensive capability & tax payers are satisfied with used funds. Hearing Brahmos corp's order book figures every 5-6 months is not worthy of discussion or any period conclusion.

btw he's not going to get more orders for SLBM variant unless tests are conducted & stubborn stand on VLS setup is loosened.

SPIEZ

Country flag
the production line should not be too slow to field 67 missiles in 7 years. regarding the workers, its not paddy field that once orders dry up people are sent back to home. its an organization and for survival it should market and develop existing and new products, find new customer, diversify. iai, imi and other israeli, european missile manufacturers are not shutting down there facility but instead they prefer making new weapons and sell there products to world which is made up of 190+ nations with most of them having army and enemies.
Work is slow, I agree. A brief history of Isreal's defense industry would show you that they were a loss recurring organisation. Also Israel is a small country which draws major investment from the defense industry.

Coming to Indian scenario, think of this, how many nations are able to keep up their economy with blind spending on defense ?
Hardly a hand-full.

Possible solutions can be a) Expand the existing infrastructure (b) For heavens sake, please employ the large talent pool.( believe me, there are many) (c) Set up realistic targets (d) Give the employees a chance to grow and try different ares in the defense sector at least.

This alone would do

Defcon 1

Country flag
brahmos was inducted in 2007, that means there have been only 4 years and not 7...and the reason that we are not going for exports is our domestic order book is fat enough....

Galaxy

Country flag
@ SPIEZ

It's not about economy and development. Brahmos is Russian technology. I don't think there was any major problem in development. Russian had this tech for last 20 years and We started JV around 12 years back. 1st Missile was tested in 2001 i suppose. Still it took 10 years for 2 regiment ? It's peanuts as per our requirement. We need at least 1,000 Brahmos and by this speed (2 years for 1 Regiment - 61 Missiles), It would take 20 years. After 10 years, We still don't have a single Brahmos regiment in N-E. 1st planned to be inducted in 2013-2015 as per earlier news and current speed.

Last edited:

agentperry

Work is slow, I agree. A brief history of Isreal's defense industry would show you that they were a loss recurring organisation. Also Israel is a small country which draws major investment from the defense industry.

Coming to Indian scenario, think of this, how many nations are able to keep up their economy with blind spending on defense ?
Hardly a hand-full.

Possible solutions can be a) Expand the existing infrastructure (b) For heavens sake, please employ the large talent pool.( believe me, there are many) (c) Set up realistic targets (d) Give the employees a chance to grow and try different ares in the defense sector at least.

This alone would do
in term of talent, they do have one of the most difficult placement paper, they recruit every year from my college thru campus placement. well if this weapon is actually a miracle weapon and not a luxury show off item, many countries will be ready to buy it. as not many countries are as big as India, they have their enemy capitals within 300 km, so if given a decent package it will draw many customers. but again this requires people with active thought process in top circles

Galaxy

Country flag
brahmos was inducted in 2007, that means there have been only 4 years and not 7...and the reason that we are not going for exports is our domestic order book is fat enough....
1st Brahmos regiment was ordered in 2004 and inducted in 2007. 2nd few days back. So 7 years and only 2 Regiment (122 Missiles). Per year production = 15-20.

SPIEZ

Country flag
in term of talent, they do have one of the most difficult placement paper, they recruit every year from my college thru campus placement. well if this weapon is actually a miracle weapon and not a luxury show off item, many countries will be ready to buy it. as not many countries are as big as India, they have their enemy capitals within 300 km, so if given a decent package it will draw many customers. but again this requires people with active thought process in top circles
You have summed it up, I didn't know Brahmos Aerospace Inc comes to any college. Which college do you study in IIT ? The idea should be to check for basics and train these freshers. From our educational system, or for that matter most other systems, we can't expect industry ready graduates, can we ?

Last edited:

SPIEZ

Country flag
@ SPIEZ

It's not about economy and development. Brahmos is Russian technology. I don't think there was any major problem in development. Russian had this tech for last 20 years and We started JV around 12 years back. 1st Missile was tested in 2001 i suppose. Still it took 10 years for 2 regiment ? It's peanuts as per our requirement. We need at least 1,000 Brahmos and by this speed (2 years for 1 Regiment - 61 Missiles), It would take 20 years. After 10 years, We still don't have a single Brahmos regiment in N-E. 1st planned to be inducted in 2013-2015 as per earlier news and current speed.
Pls refer to my post #18. Russia has a lot of tech most nations do not have.

Also the production is highly sophisticated, even ISRO uses Brahmos engines, which should give a picture about sophistication.

p2prada

If Current production rate is around 100 per year then how come only 125 Missiles (2 Regiments) inducted in last 7 years ??
The Army is a secondary customer. The primary captive customer is the Navy. We have around 7 ships with Brahmos missiles and each have between 30 to 40 of them. All new capital ships will carry Brahmos. The order book for Navy is the largest with some 20 odd frigates and destroyers coming online within the next few years.

The two regiments raised for the Army have around 240-260 missiles in them, not 125.

Pretty good numbers. Production will be between 200-300 a year by 2013. That's why Russia is hurrying up with transferring technology so we can manufacture the engines here. The Russian plant cannot handle the backlog of orders. We will have 2 companies handling engine manufacture.

Galaxy

Country flag
1 month back, News came that currently 3 brahmos regiments are operational and 4th one is new order for A.P. , N.E.

The three Brahmos missile regiments raised so far have been deployed in the western sector to counter the Pakistan threat. This will be the fourth regiment.
This was news from all sources and suddenly news came that 2nd Regiment is inducted few days back. I am really confused with all these News.

China flexing muscles, govt clears Brahmos for Arunachal - Indian Express

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles