BrahMos Cruise Missile

Galaxy

Country flag
I think news is not 100% correct. Most likely process of deployment has already started some 6-12 months back at least or may be already deployed ?

Normally 1 Brahmos reginment with 60-70 Missiles takes 12-15 months for induction as per previous track record.

Press Information Bureau English Releases

07-March, 2011 18:8 IST

Testing of Brahmos Missile

The supersonic cruise missile BrahMos has been tested successfully for application in Indian Navy and Army. On 2nd December 2010, Block-lll version of the missile was test fired to establish the steep dive capability of the missile with large manoeuvres. The mission was accomplished successfully, establishing a unique capability of supersonic dive in mountain operations.

Block-I and II versions of the BrahMos missile are already in service with the Indian Army. Block-Ill version is likely to be inducted in the 12th Plan.

This information was given by Defence Minister Shri AK Antony in a reply to Shrimati Botcha Jhanshi Lakshmi in Lok Sabha today.
It's already 10 Months old news. So process must have started @ that time.

========================================================
in 2007 Mid, 1st Regiment was deployed, In 2009 starting 2nd regiment was deployed and

Also, in 2009 Mid, 3rd regiment to be deployed in Ladakh news came (BELOW IMAGE). So, By 2010 end, Most likely - 3rd regiment would have deployed. Now, It's already 1 Year.

So, Most likely approximately within 6 Months, It would be deployed if not deployed already if my simple calculation is correct. ;)

Last edited:

nrj

Country flag
Another reason to particularly choose Brahmos here & not shourya is low altitude flying capacity.

Brahmos is field proven missile which can travel at low altitudes (as low as 10m). That makes it natural choice when you are attacking surface targets situated at lower elevation. Not to forget its capability to steep dive into deep targets for precision strike. This supersonic dive coupled with complex maneuvers (typically S type tested in recent test) are perfect characteristics to keep PLA at its toes in event of conflict.

sandeepdg

This is certainly a good development, although I am not quite sure how a 290 km range missile will be able to effect considerable damage across our eastern border !

Even the nearest PLAAF airbase in TAR in Shannan and Shigatse is beyond the reach of the Brahmos. It can only border posts or barracks of the PLA troops near the Indian border, I guess. No idea of the air defense bases in TAR.

agentperry

they clear project but then dont do anything to materialize it. hard working nature must in MoD. if damned def minister continues to leave his office attending rallies and campaigning for his buddies all over India then i dont think clearing brahmos or even nukes in arunachal will make any effect.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
What would these missiles achieve without proper surveillance? Point is, when we can't stop PLA men from entering our side and encroaching it, when our government can't do anything other than building cover up stories then how can there be proper espionage for pin pointing missile attacks?

arya

Country flag
What would these missiles achieve without proper surveillance? Point is, when we can't stop PLA men from entering our side and encroaching it, when our government can't do anything other than building cover up stories then how can there be proper espionage for pin pointing missile attacks?
well lots of thing required to do , but its ok if we deploy our missile there

i think agni5 will be game changer , we need to deploy more fighter planes and footprint to china border and have to provide more power to our navy

sandeepdg

well lots of thing required to do , but its ok if we deploy our missile there

i think agni5 will be game changer , we need to deploy more fighter planes and footprint to china border and have to provide more power to our navy

Why the hell do you need to deploy Agni-5 with a range of 5000+ kms in Arunachal in the first place ?? That's a really outrageous thought.

Even a A-5 launched from Chennai can hit Shanghai.

have to provide more power to our navy
What the hell will the Navy do on the Arunachal border ??

arya

Country flag
Why the hell do you need to deploy Agni-5 with a range of 5000+ kms in Arunachal in the first place ?? That's a really outrageous thought.

Even a A-5 launched from Chennai can hit Shanghai.

What the hell will the Navy do on the Arunachal border ??
this is the not about only AP , we have to ready to the worst condition .

if any conflict take place in future then navy power will be game changer to any nation,

sandeepdg

if any conflict take place in future then navy power will be game changer to any nation,

This thread is dedicated to Brahmos for Arunachal. You can talk about the navy in other relevant threads.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag

Navy in our case will be the last resort in conventional war, bhai. Look at the distance. Do you seriously think PLAN would come into IOR to fight? Hardliy. They know that they'd be stepping on a time bomb and a virtual suicide for all the sailors and soldiers on their warships. How many warships would they bring? We've a natural aircraft carrier in Andaman and Nicobar which can be used as a constant supply depot for the military. PLAN might be strong in SCS but they'd be pulverized in IOR. Any conflict for short and medium term will remain on land.

And indeed, it won't be about Arunachal just; my state Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Himachal and Ladakh would come under fire too. What concerns me is the chicken wing. Because of past blunders, the chicken wing region in India is so thin. We could have easily taken northern Bangladesh with force. After 71 war, Bangladeshis were happy for anything in exchange for the freedom we gave them. We could have asked for a bit of land to thicken our corridor and they'd have agreed.

Still, what is gone is gone. We still have pathetic defense infrastructure in bordering states to LAC. This is what worries me that this government is too slow and unwilling of protecting our nation. It has a legacy behind it.

Param

Navy in our case will be the last resort in conventional war, bhai. Look at the distance. Do you seriously think PLAN would come into IOR to fight? Hardliy. They know that they'd be stepping on a time bomb and a virtual suicide for all the sailors and soldiers on their warships. How many warships would they bring? We've a natural aircraft carrier in Andaman and Nicobar which can be used as a constant supply depot for the military. PLAN might be strong in SCS but they'd be pulverized in IOR. Any conflict for short and medium term will remain on land.

And indeed, it won't be about Arunachal just; my state Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Himachal and Ladakh would come under fire too. What concerns me is the chicken wing. Because of past blunders, the chicken wing region in India is so thin. We could have easily taken northern Bangladesh with force. After 71 war, Bangladeshis were happy for anything in exchange for the freedom we gave them. We could have asked for a bit of land to thicken our corridor and they'd have agreed.

Still, what is gone is gone. We still have pathetic defense infrastructure in bordering states to LAC. This is what worries me that this government is too slow and unwilling of protecting our nation. It has a legacy behind it.
You mean Chicken Neck.:D Chicken wings taste great.

Galaxy

Country flag
BATL set to make BrahMos engines

KOCHI, October 24, 2011

It had bagged orders worth Rs. 190 crore for various products

Good tidings are in for BrahMos Aerospace Thiruvananthapuram Limited (BATL) — it has embarked on its second phase of development to put in place a full-fledged missile integration complex.

The company, a wholly-owned subsidiary of BrahMos Aerospace that caters to product requirements in the country's defence, aerospace and nuclear sectors, is set to land orders for production of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile's liquid ramjet engine, thus making it the first Indian company to manufacture BrahMos engines.

"The BATL has already bagged orders worth Rs. 190 crore for various products, including Rs. 65 crore from the Indian Space Research Organisation. Given its performance, we have decided to ask it to make the entire BrahMos missile, including the nose cap, the whole of F3 [the missile section comprising airframe and fuel tank] and the ramjet engine. In effect, it will be the complete missile except the composite part and warhead. Anyway, the BATL is already making some critical airframe components of the missile such as the front docking unit and the shutter assembly," BrahMos Chief Executive Officer A. Sivathanu Pillai told The Hindu at an interaction in New Delhi last week.

The BrahMos being an India-Russian joint venture, a transfer of technology agreement would soon be signed between the appropriate authorities of the two sides to manufacture the engine in India.

At present, the BrahMos engines are produced at Orenburg in Russia. Besides the BATL, one more Indian company would be qualified to make the missile's engines, Mr. Pillai added.

As reported by The Hindu earlier, the BATL had received a go-ahead from the ISRO for manufacturing cryogenic engines for the GSLVs.

On the company's phase-II, he said construction of the integration complex had begun and the Defence Research and Development Organisation released Rs. 50 crore for the purpose.

"We are interested in developing the company by placing orders on it in a phased manner and this is what I told the Chief Minister [Oommen Chandy] when I met him on October 12 and he offered us all support," he said.

Mr. Pillai, however, expressed reservations over the trade union activities at the BATL that threaten to mar its progress.

"When we took over the sick Keltek, we pulled it out of the woods by paying all its debts and implemented a number of employee welfare measures. We paid them 23 months' arrears besides two increments across the board. We also introduced family medical schemes and most recently, an Onam bonus of Rs. 16,000 was paid to every employee. In lieu of these, we reached an agreement with them at the time of acquisition that there would not be any trade union activity on the campus for the first five years. However, a handful of workers went back on their written commitment and began unsavoury campaign aimed at tarnishing the image of the establishment," Mr. Pillai said.

While major trade unions such as the CITU and the INTUC had understood the 'sensitive' nature of the establishment, the BrahMos Employees' Union affiliated to the AITUC launched a series of baseless campaigns against the company, said sources in the BATL.

"The BrahMos Aerospace has India holding majority stakes, 50.5 percent to be precise, with Russia holding the rest. The BATL is its subsidiary, in the business of defence and aerospace production. So, how can you treat it as a routine private enterprise?" they said.

The Hindu : News / National : BATL set to make BrahMos engines

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
So India is the only country with hypersonic cruise missile.

And it is a ram-jet, from the looks of it?

Last edited:

KS

Bye bye DFI
Sorry for the noob question..but has anyone got picturesof Brahmol TEL ?

I till now had thought that land attack Brahmos was launched from Silos

Articles