AWACS will change Asia's military dynamics

StarScreen

Country flag
the KJ-200 will be in perfect range for our KS-172 AWAC KILLER.
Are you sure that KS-172 is an active program? Because earlier I had read in the Aviation Week magazine that Vympel officials had called Novator's AWACS killer KS-172 a "complete bluff". I believe that Vympel R-33 and R-37 are the real deal. :wink: Even the Russian Airforce has not shown any interest in KS-172 while they are actively involved with R-33 and R-37 programs. Besides, thinking logically, Vympel has a massive experience in designing and developing air-to-air missiles whereas Novator is best known for designing the 9M82 and 9M83 missiles of the S-300V (SA-12 'Gladiator') SAM system. Naturally the inclination here is to think that Vympel has an upper hand as far as air-to-air missiles are concerned.

Here is the link to aviationweek online magazine containing this report. Please be patient while the ebook loads as it may take some time.
Farnborough 2008 Show News - July 16, 2008 - (12)

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
Well even I have doubts about the KS 172. I dont think a project like that exists. Perhaps we might fund the Novator programme. I still havent seen any official confirmation about the program in Indian government.

ajay_ijn

Country flag
Well even I have doubts about the KS 172. I dont think a project like that exists. Perhaps we might fund the Novator programme. I still havent seen any official confirmation about the program in Indian government.
perhaps its like K-15, ATV or Akula. it won't confirmed untill its completely developed or has to be unveiled.
its neverthless a unique weapon and would be interest to western countries because their AWACS will be under threat with such missiles.

LETHALFORCE

Country flag
Indian government must have been pocketing the money?? DRDO was suppose to be involved in the project??

StarScreen

Country flag
perhaps its like K-15, ATV or Akula. it won't confirmed untill its completely developed or has to be unveiled.
its neverthless a unique weapon and would be interest to western countries because their AWACS will be under threat with such missiles.
There is nothing to hide. The concept of AWACS killers in not new. The Russians have mastered this technology by developing R-33 and R-37. KS-172 as speculated in the media was supposed to be funded by the Indian side. If you consider the BrahMos success story of Indo-Russian JV that was so public and highly successful in meeting its objectives in such a short duration of time, the same should have been emulated with KS-172. But I somehow feel that the 'KS-172 AWACS Killer' is nothing but a fanboy day dream.

LETHALFORCE

Country flag
this project had originally started around 1993 and India got involved in 1997;so if nothing has come up since then i would agree with starscreen.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
We will be getting the R 37 along with PAKFA...Period.

IBRIS

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Russia Delivers First of 3 AWACS to India

Russia Delivers First of 3 AWACS to India
By Nabi Abdullaev
Published: 20 Aug 2009 13:20 Print | Email

MOSCOW - Russia has delivered the first of three ordered A-50 Shmel (NATO code name Mainstay) early warning aircraft to India, Alexander Mikheyev, deputy head of the Russian arms export monopoly Rosoboronexport, said Aug. 19.

"Russia successfully implemented the contract to supply to India the A-50 airplanes, Russian analogs of AWACS systems," Mikheyev told journalists at the MAKS-2009 air show outside Moscow.

Related TopicsEurope
Asia & Pacific Rim
Air Warfare
The A-50, based on the Ilyushin Il-76 transport aircraft, is produced by the Irkut-controlled Beriev aviation plant, Taganrog, and can control up to 10 fighter aircraft.

Mikheyev also said that Vietnam signed a contract for eight Su-30MK2 fighters with Russia in January, after a "small pause of several years."

"We started working on the contract at the Komsomolsk-on-Amur aviation plant [part of the Sukhoi company]," he said. "The contract will be executed in 2009 and in 2010."

Mikheyev did not disclose other details about the two deals.

Meanwhile, the Russian Air Force deputy commander, Maj. Gen. Oleg Barmin, told journalists at MAKS-2009 that the military will procure more than 80 new airplanes and helicopters in 2009, in "what matches the level of procurement during the Soviet times."

He said that under the six-year contract signed by the Defense Ministry and Sukhoi this year, new Su-34 fighter-bombers will replace the existing fleet of Su-24 attack aircraft.

Barmin said that the Russian Army began this year receiving its first Mil Mi-28N attack helicopters, Kamov Ka-52 attack helicopters and Kazan Helicopter Plant's Ansat-U training helicopters. Barmin did not specify the amounts.

Russia's state-controlled helicopter-building holding, Russian Helicopters, said in a statement on Aug. 19 that despite the financial crisis, it doubled the number of the helicopters supplied to its clients in the first half of 2009, to 64 from 32 in the first half of 2008. In total, the holding expects to produce 220 helicopters this year, compared with 169 last year.

In 2008, Russia produced a record number of helicopters since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991.

Russia Delivers First of 3 AWACS to India - Defense News

KaFka

we are getting phalcons so its addition to it?
No guys these are the same Falcon AEWCS system form Israel with Russian platform.Only difference is this news is from the RUSSIAN side and also with some errors :blum3:

Tuco

Country flag
Hope these clears the confusion

BANGALORE (India), February 12 (RIA Novosti) - Russia will deliver the first A-50 AWACS aircraft developed on the basis of Il-76MD military transport plane in the near future, a Russian aircraft industry official said on Thursday.
India ordered three A-50EI variants fitted with the Israeli-made Phalcon radar system in 2001. The first aircraft was scheduled to arrive in 2007-08 but has been delayed.

"The AWACS version of Il-76 will be soon delivered to India," Viktor Livanov, vice-president of Russia's United Aircraft Corporation, said at a news conference on the sidelines of the Aero India 2009 air show in India.

In many aspects, the A-50 is comparable to the E-3 Sentry of the U.S. Air Force. It is fitted with an aerial refueling system and electronic warfare equipment, and can detect targets up to 400 km (250 miles) away.

The existing Russian-Indian military-technical cooperation program until 2010 includes up to 200 projects worth about $18 billion.

In addition to the Russian A-50 aircraft, India has recently purchased eight Boeing P-81 long-range maritime reconnaissance (LRMR) aircraft from the United States, and signed a deal with Brazil to jointly integrate domestically developed AWACS systems onto three Brazilian-made Embraer-145 aircraft to be later commissioned with the Indian air force.

clicky

shankarosky

it is normal in any developing complex system like indian awac where lot of details are not fixed at the time of order but gets integrated all the same .30% increase may be high but maybe IAF is asking for more features

shankarosky

phalcons are true force multipliers -it will allow much more efficeant deployment of IAF f assets - make response to threat faster and backed by sufficeant air defense assets - make penetration of indian air space a very difficult.During combat it can control air combat on a real time basis -adding a great punch to IAF

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
But I stll think we need 10...the DRDO is working on it I guess

shankarosky

understans ding the true capabilityof a phalcon system is to say the least is difficult.For example any aicraft in pakistai air space can be tracked not just when in air but also when it is moving on runway ,its complete flight profile ,patrol altitude,comunication frequency -patrol duration will be recorded and analyzed to accurately predict how it will fly in combat and for how long and most likely ingress/egress path -that is a generation leap in air combat guys

Articles