AWACS will change Asia's military dynamics

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
What i fail to understand is that if the IAF needed 6 or more of these, then why did they not buy all at one go in the first place? Prices of these dont come down, they always go up.

If the thought was to operate the first batch and evaluate, then why talk about a new batch without the first batch being acquired. Sheer waste of taxpayers money.
And the Israelis will milk it for all it's worth

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
I dont there will be any objection by the US to use Gulfstream. When they can sell P8s to us, why not Gulfstreams? But India made its choice to rotomount it on the Il 76 and thats how its going to be. The Il 76 seems to be the cheaper option.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
Atleast we will know the technology and we can develop more advanced radan than the Phalcons in the future.
I like your optimism. But i think we will be depended on Israel for a quite a long time. We bought Greenpine from them, and also be sourcing AESAs from them.

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
I like your optimism. But i think we will be depended on Israel for a quite a long time. We bought Greenpine from them, and also be sourcing AESAs from them.
AESA's for the LCA right?

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
if I were the defence minister of India, I would rather spend money in building one shipyard that can building AC,instead of buying 3 AC.
Cochin Shipyard is already making the aircraft carrier... so, no need of another shipyard... first, get your aircraft carriers off the drawing table...

And, we're mighty lucky you aren't our defence minister...

luckyy

Form ages IAF operating Early warning aircaft system........

even in 1971 they had russian Tu-126 "Moss".....

couldn't understand why there is so much talking worldwide on Falcon AWACS ?

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Form ages IAF operating Early warning aircaft system........

even in 1971 they had russian Tu-126 "Moss".....

couldn't understand why there is so much talking worldwide on Falcon AWACS ?
That was just on lease, this one is our very own... I guess that's why they're making such a big issue of it...

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
MMR for LCA

No LF, the MMR has "most" of the component that are Indian. The issue with MMR was mainly in A2G mode were Israelis provided there expertise. Right now there is no info available that which component are Indian and which components are Israelis.(Does some informed member have it?)

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
if I were the defence minister of India, I would rather spend money in building one modern shipyard ,than buying 3 ready AC
Don't worry there will always be a difference between dreaming on and fulfilling of dreams. So carry on

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
if I were the defence minister of India, I would rather spend money in building one modern shipyard ,than buying 3 ready AC
What's the relation between acquiring an AWAC and building a shipyard? Both are in it's place. India has modern shipyards that's why it can build stealth frigates, destroyers, aircraft carriers, nuke subs. But yes there is lack of capacity which will be taken care of in due course.

AWACS are most definitely required, especially when we have two neighbors who are used to sneaking up and attacking.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
Bad guy will you ever talk some thing on Topic rather then acting like a sabatur

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
I am surprised that no one talked about data-link capability of air-craft or missile.
Does anyone know the data-link present in MKI and Mig 29?

LETHALFORCE

Country flag
I am surprised that no one talked about data-link capability of air-craft or missile.
Does anyone know the data-link present in MKI and Mig 29?
I don't think datalinking will be an issue, it will be a much bigger issue for Pakistan with SAAB eeryie,HQ-9,F-16's and j-17 with unknown radar all the effort just to be blown out of the sky by ASTRA and KS-172.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
Phalcon was custom built for India so everything will be kept in mind. Datalinking, Image sharing and all must have been done.

p2prada

IAI won a contract for designing the ODL (Operational data link) for India. Rafael wanted to make the data link for free as a gift to India. But, India refused. We wanted to pay.:blum3:

LM supposedly bid too much, so IAI won with the second cheapest bid.

Our air assets will be linked to the AFNET with the ODL. Ground link will have OFC(Optic fibre cables). TATA will build the OFC link.

MKI carry Russian data links that are 4 times slower than the US Link-16. It's called APK-9. I don't think our Mig-29s have any datalink. All our fighters use Ground control interception(GCI).

Articles