Astra BVRAAM

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
RF seekers are not used as WVR missiles as they are costly, not because they are suboptimal.

As RF seeker can also gauge range & speed of target, so they can fly better interception path against a target

IndianHawk

Country flag
Aim 120c was faild because it was launched a very far target, in feb27 case against mki. Asper IAF itself, they have saved the aircraft with simple evasive maneuvers. If my memories are correct, they didn't claim that they have jammed the aim120c. And it is logical too, aim120c is programed to home the jamming signals a wise decision by IAF not to jam aim at greater distance unnecessarily it will give guidence to your own aircraft.
Some claims said some aim120c were fired within nez they also failed. In any case su30 prevailed.
And how you are saying that astra seeker is further evolved than aim120c?
Aim120 c5 is quite old with a very old seeker . Astra seeker in comparison is latest incorporating tech of 2015 onwards so it is much better. Probably eqvivalent to 120d seeker.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Anything beyond 25 Km is BVR because that is the range of any pilot's view in a normal condition. So minimum range of a BVR is technically 25Km.

ASTRA in its current form can't be used as a CCM as it's not RADAR which plays an important role in CCM.
Latest asraam claims ranges upto 40km.

Chinmoy

Country flag
I will beg to differ kindof

Any radar guided missile is not an optimal solution for use as a CCM .

but nevertheless it is the next best option in LOBL mode if one runs out of IR/IIR CCMs.

So
ASTRA in its current form is not the optimal solution for use as a CCM but if situation demands it is can be used as a CCM in LOBL mode.
Astra is not radar guided. It uses INS & mid course upgrade for guidance.
On top of it, the current iteration of Astra can't take the high G of a CCM.
That's why I said that in its current form, it's not a suitable CCM.

porky_kicker

Country flag
Astra is not radar guided. It uses INS & mid course upgrade for guidance.
On top of it, the current iteration of Astra can't take the high G of a CCM.
That's why I said that in its current form, it's not a suitable CCM.
Seriously bro ?

ASTRA is not radar guided ? Then what is the onboard radar for ?

INS and midcourse guidance and after that what ?

ASTRA homes on its target by using its INS and mid course guidence ? Or by using its onboard radar ?

All 3 the shooter aircraft , the missile and the target aircraft kinematics varies dynamically.

INS of missile is aligned with INS of launch aircraft just before launch , so that both are in sync spatially and in time domain.

Mid course guidance is required if the target is beyond WVR distance , this is to keep the missile on the dynamically changing trajectory of the target aircraft , this is done by 2 way data link , the launch aircraft uses the target data from its onboard radar which is continuously tracking the target aircraft to keep the missile on a trajectory which will lead to a interception trajectory. Then the update stops . The missile by then is close to the target aircraft , when the onboard radar is switched on to search and track independently and finally lock on.

Mid course guidance is required when ASTRA is used beyond ~30 km ie at BVRAAM ranges. INS and mid course guidance takes the ASTRA to the best possible location from where ASTRA can put its target in its NEZ when prior to initiating it terminal maneuvers it switches it's onboard radar to search and lock on its target.

Astras 40G capability as a BVRAAM is definitely not bad , when ASRAAM as an WVRAAM is rated at 50G.

In its earliest tests it demonstrated 30G which was later tested to 40G

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
Seriously bro ?

ASTRA is not radar guided ? Then what is the onboard radar for ?

INS and midcourse guidance and after that what ?

ASTRA homes on its target by using its INS and mid course guidence ? Or by using its onboard radar ?

Mid course guidance is required when ASTRA is used beyond ~30 km ie at BVRAAM ranges. INS and mid course guidance takes the ASTRA to the best possible location from where ASTRA can put its target in its NEZ when prior to initiating it terminal maneuvers it switches it's onboard radar to search and lock on its target.

Astras 40G capability as a BVRAAM is definitely not bad , when ASRAAM as an WVRAAM is rated at 50G.

In its earliest tests it demonstrated 30G which was later tested to 40G
You are making a basic mistake. You are mixing up RADAR guidance with RADAR homing.

Second, it has the capability of 40g or even more, but it has yet to show sustainability of carrying out that G.

porky_kicker

Country flag
You are making a basic mistake. You are mixing up RADAR guidance with RADAR homing.

Second, it has the capability of 40g or even more, but it has yet to show sustainability of carrying out that G.
I elaborated my previous post.

I am not mixing radar guidance with radar homing .

Aircraft onboard radar does not guide ASTRA.

The onboard radar of aircraft simply inputs guidance track data to the missile for mid course guidence. Nothing more nothing less.

INS is to put the missile in sync with the launch aircraft and during mid course update , the INS of missile is also refreshed to remove accumulated errors. Nothing more nothing less.

ASTRA has LOBL and LOAL modes

So explain how LOBL mode works in the context of your claim of aircraft radar guidance ?

Also for information , mid course guidance of ASTRA is based on singular pertubation control ( SPC ) law instead of the commonly used proportional navigation ( PN ) law. While the onboard radar uses PN law for end game maneuver of missile.

As for sustainability of G that is a point of contention which only drdo or IAF can clarify.

Last edited:

Hydra3

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Some claims said some aim120c were fired within nez they also failed. In any case su30 prevailed.

Aim120 c5 is quite old with a very old seeker . Astra seeker in comparison is latest incorporating tech of 2015 onwards so it is much better. Probably eqvivalent to 120d seeker.
Old, that doesn't means that its bad. Do you have any source to prove that astra is better than aim120c? F15 is older than tejas, is tejas is better than f15?
Asper recent info, astra is better than r77, since we have access of r77 seeker tech and we developed our own seeker later. Do astra can lock on to the jamming signals? With proof

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
@IndianHawk yes go do research, give him all the proof or links he wants. :grin:
Do you have any source to prove that astra is better than aim120c? F15 is older than tejas, is tejas is better than f15?
Asper recent info,
You are talking tech. And tech wise, Tejas is leaps and bounds ahead of 10 year old F-15 or Su-30s. That's how electronics/software works. And someone who think we don't have access to Aim-120C from youknowwho, also clearly don't know shit about "as per recent info".

As I said, for someone who knows next to nothing on almost any topic, you make a awful lot of expert comments on almost every topic!

Last edited:

Hydra3

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
@IndianHawk yes go do research, give him all the proof or links he wants. :grin:
You are talking tech. And tech wise, Tejas is leaps and bounds ahead of 10 year old F-15 or Su-30s. That's how electronics/software works. And someone who think we don't have access to Aim-120C from youknowwho, also clearly don't know shit about "as per recent info".

As I said, for someone who knows next to nothing on almost any topic, you make a awful lot of expert comments on almost every topic!
Your name & reoly are like bleh. bleh bleh.
Tell me astra ia having the capability to lock on jamming signals
And Astra superiority exist only on your imagination, not even IAF is telling that its superior to aim 120c. Instead they are telling that its on par with aim120c range. Range is one of the parameter of a a2a missile, there ae other parameters like g load, eccm etc. Educate yourself before doing bleh bleh bleh.

Hydra3

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
[I][U][B]@IndianHawk[/B][/U][/I] yes go do research, give him all the proof or links he wants. :grin:

This is the very purpose of this forum, bring the evidencec.

Hydra3

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
do u have any evidence that your father impregnated your mom if so plz bring it here.
I really doubt about genetical integrity, only a person born inside a womb of slave woman will accept every the he hearing from master.

IndianHawk

Country flag
ASRAAM is WVRM.

Please enter a message with at least 30 characters.
Yup I know. But you were saying any missile above 25 km range has to be bvr which is incorrect these days .
That's why Astra at 40km range can be used as ccm .
Perhaps that is why drdo labeled it as ccm as well as bvraam. Although I agree it won't be as efficient as a proper wvr ccm.

Hydra3

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I told you before That Hydra3 is an outsider, searching for information. Whether he is Chinese or Pakistani, I do not know but try not to belch out information for his benefit.
Typical sanghi, question every one's nationality who questions you.

IndianHawk

Country flag
F15 is older than tejas, is tejas is better than f15?
Technically yes. Older f15 didn't even has fbw !! So they are literally generation behind Tejas . Only the newer version advanced eagle had fbw which is on par with Tejas . Even them mk1a will have sensor fusion which is something no f15 or even f22 has unless they go through a very extensive upgrade.

Similarly Astra is generation ahead of older aim120c5 and r77. But later version of these missiles are on par with Astra. That's why I said Astra seeker is as capable as aim120d seeker. That's why they are planning dual pulse Astra seeker.

You want proof : both aim120c5 and 120c7 are available to India on sell by USA without condition even 120d is coming with integrated air defense system (nasam sell). Yet IAF is not buying it because there is no need anymore. Only thing out of Indian capabilities is now meteor class missile with sfdr program in 5-6 years we'll have that too.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
, not even IAF is telling that its superior to aim 120c. Instead they are telling that its on par with aim120c range.
Except they DID say that (from your track record I assume you don't know the difference between decade old AIM-120C and C5 either).
This is the very purpose of this forum, bring the evidencec.
Except noone owes you anything. I had some doubts and asked a question just above. That is one thing. But noone will go through whole thread to dig out info just because Minigun-Maharaja needs convincing (although some here have that disease).
Read old news, posts, DRDO newsletters and do your own research.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles