Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
I see, it's a good thing then that we didn't choose to have it installed in our T-90S then, sounds more hassle than they're worth.
Well nothing is automated, you have to do the turning & pointing & launching... But our T-90S don't even have laser sensor.

That's a very bad thing for a coffin tank. Your tanks will just start blowing up suddenly.

i get it, but while visiting a forum a year back i heard memebers speaking 120mm has some advantage over 125mm
They do if your using 2-piece 125mm rounds like in coffins... Although we don't even have the metallurgy tech to use long rod penitrators, it'll allow the guns to use longer ATGMs & bigger PCB, HESH, TB rounds.

But if the 125mm is to be turret loaded single-piece rounds then that'd be better.

Last edited:

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
MY BRIDAARS FEAST YOUR EYES
PKS:That news-report has erroneous data. For instance, the last order pertains to the Arjun Mk.1A, meaning no more Mk.1As will be ordered after the order for the 118 units. Instead, ther Mk.2 will be ordered as its seven pre-production units have already commenced developmental mobility-cum-firepower trials. The Mk.2s will each be built with High Nitrogen Steel, which will reduce their weight from 67.5 tonnes to 62 tonnes. In addition, the powerpack will include a 1,500hp Cummins diesel engine. Consequently, the Mk.2’s power-to-weight ratio will increase from the existing 18hp/tonne to a healthy 25hp/tonne, thereby providing excellent mobility parameters over all kinds of terrain at all altitudes. The cannon will be a smoothbore 120mm one, fed by an autoloader. Hence, up to 250 Arjun Mk2s will be ordered in future. The 464 T-90S MBTs to be licence-built at HVF Avadi too will have an uprated 1,300hp diesel engine from Russia, which too will increase the power-to-weight ratio of the T-90S to 25hp/tonne. 2, 3 & 4) As I have just explained, the reduced weight & increased power-to-weight ratio of Arjun Mk.2 will enable it to be operated over all kinds of terrain at all kinds of altitude. The same goes for the T-90S powered by 1,300hp diesel engine. Consequently, there remains no need at all for any kind of light tank. ‘Desi’ patrakaars’ who are unaware of such technical details are therefore always groping in the dark & engaging in needless speculation.

le me after 120MM SMOOTHBORE AND WEIGHT:

View attachment 78155
Can you give me the source to the article?
Are any pictures of the prototypes available?

not so dravidian

Country flag
@Bleh PKS has answered our questions
To YOGESH: 1) Yes. 2) There is re-design & re-engineering involved. 3) 120mm as I had stated above. 4) No need at all.

To RISHI: FMBT turret had a lower silhouette due to the autoloader being located in the hull. The Arjun Mk.2’s autoloader will be turret-based like that on the French Leclerc & Japanese Type 10 MBTs. Hence, turret dimensions will remain the same, but there will be enhancements like the incorporation of 360-degree awareness sensors, with one of these being finally selected:

In addition, the Gunner’s Sight aperture needs to be located above the turret as the present location compromises the frontal protection parameters when ERA tiles are reqd to be fitted in that location. In addition, the existing RCWS far too big & needs to be miniaturised, since it presently prevents the Commander’s sight from being a 360-degree sensor.

not so dravidian

Country flag
@Bleh PKS has answered our questions
To YOGESH: 1) Yes. 2) There is re-design & re-engineering involved. 3) 120mm as I had stated above. 4) No need at all.

To RISHI: FMBT turret had a lower silhouette due to the autoloader being located in the hull. The Arjun Mk.2’s autoloader will be turret-based like that on the French Leclerc & Japanese Type 10 MBTs. Hence, turret dimensions will remain the same, but there will be enhancements like the incorporation of 360-degree awareness sensors, with one of these being finally selected:

In addition, the Gunner’s Sight aperture needs to be located above the turret as the present location compromises the frontal protection parameters when ERA tiles are reqd to be fitted in that location. In addition, the existing RCWS far too big & needs to be miniaturised, since it presently prevents the Commander’s sight from being a 360-degree sensor.
:drool: :drool: :cruisin2: :fyeah: @ArgonPrime ur analysis

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Yes, I noted @Akula @Cruise missile

...and I'm not so sure about what to believe.

I asked:
Rishi (BlehDFI)February 13, 2021 at 5:52 PM
Hi sir. So there's a turret redesign of Arjun & no loader?.. I made this fanart based on the older FMBT turret. Similar?
defenceforumindia.com/threads/arjun-main-battle-tank-mbt.9558/post-1632974/

And he replies(!):
Prasun K. SenguptaFebruary 13, 2021 at 8:34 PM
To RISHI: FMBT turret had a lower silhouette due to the autoloader being located in the hull. The Arjun Mk.2’s autoloader will be turret-based like that on the French Leclerc & Japanese Type 10 MBTs. Hence turret dimensions will remain the same, but there will be enhancements like the incorporation of 360-degree awareness sensors.

So in that statement alone I can find out two mistakes.

1. No FMBT was ever seen (although he might know) with hull autoloader... the older one I used in the Arjun Mark2 fanart^ was a 4-crew design & present NGMBT has turret bustle autoloader.

2. If we're using a bustle autoloader, that would reduce a crew member. How can the turret's armour layout & seating arrangement not change?.. The size shrinkage would reduce tons of weight!

I've asked him. Let's wait for what he says.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Pretty much what @Bleh said - 2 primary red flags.
No. 1 - He got the position of the autoloader in the original FMBT concept dead wrong.
No. 2 - Why would anyone retain the dimensions of a 3 man turret for a 2 man one (unless of course, he's implying that they were planning to retain the fourth crew member as the RCWS operator/ extra pair of eyes)??
So, I for one, can not take this info in good faith.

Post edited for further clarification.

Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
@ArgonPrime you know what?.. If we mount a surveillance radar & drone jammer, that might need another guy... who can also operate the RCWS. IIR-guided new gen ATGMs won't give laser warnings, you'll need radar.

You may have just made a casual comment, but that crew pattern actually could become a thing in future!

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Well nothing is automated, you have to do the turning & pointing & launching... But our T-90S don't even have laser sensor.

That's a very bad thing for a coffin tank. Your tanks will just start blowing up suddenly.
You hate the T-90S with a passion, don't you, bruv??!! :lol:

They do if your using 2-piece 125mm rounds like in coffins... Although we don't even have the metallurgy tech to use long rod penitrators, it'll allow the guns to use longer ATGMs & bigger PCB, HESH, TB rounds.
Yeah, that's why I'm more inclined towards a 120 mm smoothbore gun as that will enable us to import advanced APFSDS rounds from friendly NATO countries. Or better yet, try and get the license for the Rheinmetall L/55 (and the DM-53 if possible) and be done with it.
But if the 125mm is to be turret loaded single-piece rounds then that'd be better.
Well, one could pack two-piece ammo in a bustle mounted autoloader and make that thing work if one wants to, just would need a bigger bustle.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
@ArgonPrime you know what?.. If we mount a surveillance radar & drone jammer, that might need another guy... who can also operate the RCWS. IIR-guided new gen ATGMs won't give laser warnings, you'll need radar.

You may have just made a casual comment, but that crew pattern actually could become a thing in future!
Who would have thought, ehh??

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
You hate the T-90S with a passion, don't you, bruv??!! :lol:
I mean, I TRY, to be as technical as possible. But T-90S just keeps making things worse.

The ones we use, especially so. I have really failed to find any good thing about it.. & IA policy won't add new sideskirts thay even Iraq has, no storage-boxes with ERA. Not even a new engine, or gun, or the tech from Arjun.

Last edited:

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I mean,.. I TRY to be as technical as possible. But T-90S just keeps making things worse.

The ones we use, especially so. I have really feel to find any good thing about it & IA policy won't add new sideskirts the even Iraq has, no storage-boxes with ERA. Not even a new engine, or gun, or the tech from Arjun.
I feel your pain, bro. It's just that human lives come very cheap in this part of the world and the Army's decision reflects that.

not so dravidian

Country flag

is there a way for mounting DIRCM sort of?

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
PKS may by save misunderstood my question tho... may have meant the turret won't become like T-90, when he says "turret dimensions will remain same".
Because did clearly mention redesign & reengineering of both turret & hull have taken place in Mark2.

image (1).png

And for fucksake this turret. We deserve a design that can't be penetrated by everything being shot at it.
IMG_20210213_223039.jpg

Last edited:

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
PKS may by save misunderstood my question tho... may have meant the turret won't become like T-90, when he says "turret dimensions will remain same".
Because did clearly mention redesign & reengineering of both turret & hull have taken place in Mark2.

And for fucksake this turret. We deserve a design that can't be penetrated by everything being shot at it. View attachment 78216
This one was the chad masterpiece whereas, with Arjun, we got a bunch of fat obese incels.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles