Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

Rahul Singh

Country flag
@Sayareaked

Good pictures and goos demonstaration... keep it up and make something like that like Lahat... bring from Isrealies and claim it your own. However if if that is done for the good of the Country, it is welcome and acceptable.

Do you know in Armour warfare there is something called mobility ? what about that?
Where and what Isreali is he claimed as own? Sayareaked is very respected member and when he talks he talks sense.

What mobility you are talking about? Where do you see Arjun less mobile than T-90? But then Mobility is not all it is the Survivability that counts above all and Arjun is superior to T-90 in that respect.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
@Sayareaked

Good pictures and goos demonstaration... keep it up and make something like that like Lahat... bring from Isrealies and claim it your own. However if if that is done for the good of the Country, it is welcome and acceptable.
with new Arjun MK-II, by launching CLGM (JV of LAHAT) it is possible to have non line of sight launch for 6-8 km range target and all these things which is shown below.
I assume that you can read but your emotions are not allowing you to understand meaning of JV. If you have dont some home work and take a look at specifications of LAHAT and CLGM you would not have wrote what you said.

LAHAT ATGM quad pack for helicopters
Type ATGM
Place of origin Israel
Service history
In service 1992 - present
Used by Israel
Unit cost $20,000 (1999)
Specifications
Weight 13.0 kg [1]
Length 97.5 cm
Diameter 105 mm [1]
Warhead Tandem HEAT
Warhead weight 4.5 kg
Operational
range 8000 m[1]
Speed 285-300 m/s
Guidance
system Semi-Active Laser Homing[1]
Launch
platform 105 - 120 mm smooth bore
I can tell lot but what is the point, just go through CLGM (earlier it was known as SAMHO) now called cannon launch guided missile.

Last edited:

gogbot

Sorry for the late reply.
Sorry for my late reply as well

The Americans and Germans attempted to build a new 3rd generation tank called MBT-70 as a replacement for the M-60. but after working for 10 years they canceled the project.
Projects get cancelled , that happens all the time.
But its different with the Americans and Germans they have multiple generations of design and development behind them.

Is it feasible for anyone to cancel their first generation design and development projects ?

The Arjun's cancellation was requested by COAS as far back in 1991.
Than MoD should have done a better job at accommodating Army wishes.

Why the army needed to request a cancellation and not a re-design , is also a question mark.

The Arjun faced delays at that time as well. The T-72 was chosen and the Arjun was continued based on newer requirements. Something to challenge the Abrams.
Why did the army focus so much on tank that could challenge the abrams ?
A threat that never even materialized ,

Today we have T-90's and the Chineses have Type-99's which is in the same wieght class as the Abrams , but we seem perfectly fine with T-90.

If the T-90 was enough or what they wanted , why was the Original GSQR framed for a T-90 style tank.

This raises questions regarding the FMBT and how the Army may treat this project.

A similar class is not available, even from Israel. Nobody gives up on tank tech that easily. It is a highly offensive weapon and all tanks use equipment made by others which mean deniability would be high.
That would imply the Arjun is more valuable than , you were ever willing to give it credit.
Also
Are u saying if the Army had the option to get an Arjun type tank as opposed to the T-90 they would have ?

The Americans took 6 years to complete the F-22s ASR. The FMBT is supposed to be a 4th gen design. They have to study the feasibility of a lot of technologies and also the ability to employ it in the battle. This will take time. No need to be hard on the Army for being a bit more careful.
If that's all it is , then you are completely right.

We cannot be judgemental over something we have no idea about.
I could say the same for every DRDO project ever criticized.

However none of us including me would leave it at that. We would look at the deliverable.
And in this case there is no PSQR and their is not GSQR.

As well as history of problems stemming from poor GSQR's regarding MBT's

ADA has been harping about working on preliminary designs for MCA.
ADA has been pursuing the MCA as their private venture till recently , when it was officially government sanctioned
and received funding and an ASR.

I would also like one instance of their supposed harping , regarding MCA. Because from what i remember it was all concepts that happen to catch our imagination on the forums

this is all off-top and diverts from the original point,
What has the army done about the FMBT since they got approval to formulate the GSQR in 2008 , after conducting an international seminar on the future of tank design ?

This is the first time DRDO will be developing things that will be relevant after induction.
your bias seems to blind you of all objectivity.

There is large inventory of missiles , strategic and tactical. That serve as the front line of our forces. This includes our nuclear deterrent.

Agreed. But not to the point where we are calling names and questioning their integrity. Even if one or two men can be questioned, it does not mean the entire army's high echelons is to be blamed.
I have no reason to question integrity.
But direction , course and competence. Those i will question
others should as well.

The dates can be extended. It has been done again and again for LCA and Arjun.
i some how doubt that ,
to this day people think the LCA project started in 1983

regardless primary concern resolves around why they have to be extended , if the army does not know what it wants it raises concerns regarding the relevance of the GSQR it will submit

We will know what happens, at least by this year or the next.
we can only wait and see.

Why? The FMBT and the Armata are supposed to be quite similar in class to the FMBT.
All design is a compromise of something for something else , with FMBT i see very little or no compromise.
Light weight tank with all the equipment , Armour and capabilities of much heavier contemporary's

And i certainly hope that article considering a laser based APS was just the usual nonsense from India reporters

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
I am not sure why P2Prada still thinks the T-90S is such a great tank. Looking at modern tank designs, almost all the major western tanks are now in the 60+ tonne category (M1 Abrams 61 Tonnes, Challenger 2 62 Tonnes, Leopard 62 Tonnes, Merkava 65 tonnes). Even the Chinese and the Japanese Tanks are closer to 60 tonnes.
Why am I harping on about the tonnage of the tanks? Because, with Armor, armament and properly shielded shells, with a sufficiently powerful engine, no modern MBT can be less than 50 tonnes in weight and the better the armor, the closer to 60 tonnes the tank gets.
Now, the question is, what is the Russian secret sauce that keeps their tanks well below 50 tonnes?
Answer: The armor is not as extensive as the western tanks, the engine is underpowered and the shells are not shielded.
All three of these are a no no in terms of survivability of the tanks as seen time and again during the Afghan war and the Chechen wars.
The T-90S was a great design for the 1980s, and even useful for 1990s armor piercing rounds. But by today's standard, it is sadly not the best out there.
The Arjun on the other hand is designed and built similar to western specs and is in the ~60 tonne range, with a powerful Engine and a REALLY good armor.
The IA is still affixed with the idea of soviet tank doctrine and Russian systems. I am not sure if there are kickbacks involved in the IA insistence on buying Russian systems, but a strong favor of Russian systems (being inn use for last 40 years by IA) is definitely there. In addition there is this disbelief about any home-made systems (partly to blame MoD and DRDO) being better than Russian systems. However, from both specs, actual trials and head-to-head exercises, it is now established that the new Arjuns are better than the T-90S or even the upgraded T-90M. Hence the IA order for ~500 Arjun Mk1s. Hopefully in due time, the T-72s will be replaced by the Arjun Mk-2s.

As for P2Prada, my friend, stop questioning the Arjun and accept it that in it's current configuration, it is a REALLY good Tank - better than the T-90S or the T-90M.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Liquid better to have proven stuff, BTW it is software which matter ultimately, we can have hardware from any place.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I may also add that Russian space station Mir computer's was at that time has processor which was not even close to the laptop available in the market, but it kept the space station safe all along the life of space station until the very last.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
You are laughing at Pentium III chips? Here's the deal - NASA (and ESA) were using 8085 processors - even for the Mars Rover. Does that mean they were obsolete or that NASA is stupid?
Did I laugh, lol, lmao?

How can this be for the Mark 2 when the Pentium III isnt even produced anymore?

p2prada

Projects get cancelled , that happens all the time.
But its different with the Americans and Germans they have multiple generations of design and development behind them.

Is it feasible for anyone to cancel their first generation design and development projects ?
Yes. Look at the Swedish J-21R. They built a few, like 60 or something and did not see service for more than 6 years. It was their first jet aircraft. Even Americans and Germans have cancelled projects that have brought delays by many years, even decades. The MBT-70 is an example. Even with their advanced industry, they suffered a delay of almost 15 years before the M1A1 by Americans and Leo by Germans replaced the M-60s.

Than MoD should have done a better job at accommodating Army wishes.

Why the army needed to request a cancellation and not a re-design , is also a question mark.
That's the reason why Arjun wasn't cancelled. Too many industries and too many people were involved. This was the time of economic turmoil too, so there was a high chance of cancellation. Nevertheless it stayed.

It was never a question of redesign, the Army wanted the same design as we see from Gen Roy Chaudhry's remarks about seeing Arjun inductions. DRDO did not deliver, it is as simple as that. Now that DRDO claims the tank is ready, it is too little too late. Nevertheless we will at least see around 500 tanks in operation.

Why did the army focus so much on tank that could challenge the abrams ?
A threat that never even materialized ,
It was obvious. The threat never materialized and so did the Arjun.

Today we have T-90's and the Chineses have Type-99's which is in the same wieght class as the Abrams , but we seem perfectly fine with T-90.
They aren't perfectly happy with the Type-99 either. For the size of their armour, the numbers are too less. 500 the last I heard, same as the Arjun. They have standardized on the Type-96 anyway, its their T-90 standard. The Pakistanis too will be doing the same with the modified Type-96.

If the T-90 was enough or what they wanted , why was the Original GSQR framed for a T-90 style tank.

This raises questions regarding the FMBT and how the Army may treat this project.
It was actually equivalent to a T-90AM, ie the Army wanted a tank that weighed 50 tons and have superior crew protection with working that is similar to Challenger, ie 4 crew and Rifled gun. The Arjun overshot the weight by 8.5 tons and now is over 10 tons over the 50 tons. Who knows why? Perhaps DRDO tried surpassing some objectives with western influences. The 50 tons, I got it from this Frontier journo who is an Arjun sympathizer called some Chacko Joseph.

That would imply the Arjun is more valuable than , you were ever willing to give it credit.
Also
Are u saying if the Army had the option to get an Arjun type tank as opposed to the T-90 they would have ?
Yes. COAS Chaudhary wanted production of Arjun to start very early, before sanctions hit us. It did not happen after Arjun was sanctioned. You know the drill after that.

I could say the same for every DRDO project ever criticized.

However none of us including me would leave it at that. We would look at the deliverable.
And in this case there is no PSQR and their is not GSQR.
What if it's ready and is just stuck in bureaucratic red tape at the MoD? You can't blame the army for that. We won't know if PSQR is delayed without official confirmation. We do not even know if Army has even sanctioned a new tank project by saying tanks in their current avatar are obsolete. Unless they tell something, we will never know. So, be patient.

As well as history of problems stemming from poor GSQR's regarding MBT's

ADA has been pursuing the MCA as their private venture till recently , when it was officially government sanctioned
and received funding and an ASR.
Perhaps, but if something is not feasible DRDO only has to say it. For eg; DRDO is doing a preliminary assessment for the AMCA. Now it is up to them if they can handle AMCA or not and they will let us know by the end of the year. If they cannot, but are greedy, then they will say they can do it simply to start receiving funding. Air force cannot do much in that case except wait for them to deliver.

If they can do it, or cannot do it, it does not matter. They will still say they can and delay other projects for IAF, like the LCA if they fail at delivery. If they don't they well and good for the country as well as the Air force and Army.

I would also like one instance of their supposed harping , regarding MCA. Because from what i remember it was all concepts that happen to catch our imagination on the forums
However, they weren't fan art like PAKFA before 2010. They were actual concepts from ADA.

What has the army done about the FMBT since they got approval to formulate the GSQR in 2008 , after conducting an international seminar on the future of tank design ?

your bias seems to blind you of all objectivity.
No it is not. International seminar does not signal the start of a GSQR. A consensus for a FMBT is really difficult. Nobody has it. There is the F-22, F-35 and PAKFA. Then there is a J-20 as well, but no FMBT from any country with 4th generation technologies.

India will be defining these 4th generation technologies. Even the Russian Armata may be a much more modern 3rd gen tank. So, give it more time because we may be setting the benchmark for a future tank.

There is large inventory of missiles , strategic and tactical. That serve as the front line of our forces. This includes our nuclear deterrent.
None of them are significantly different from anything that already exists. We are a generation behind all the P-5 countries in Ballistic Missiles.

I have no reason to question integrity.
But direction , course and competence. Those i will question
others should as well.
Direction, Course and Competence of an army is only judged by a military's performance in battle and not in a public debate.

After 1962, India has excelled in every war fought. This means the Generals are doing something right.

1962 was a political defeat.
1965 was a minor victory, we had the upper hand because we prevented PA from securing their objectives. But we could not capitalize on this. That's why Pak calls it a stalemate.
1971 was a military and intelligence victory.
1985 was a military victory.
1999 was an intelligence failure, but a military victory.
The skirmishes with China were military victories after 1962. The situation in SL was a political defeat.

So, nothing to indicate we have a major problem with how things are going. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

i some how doubt that ,
to this day people think the LCA project started in 1983
The start can be subjective, but the end is not. People believe LCA started in 1983, though it did not. But people know when it received IOC and when the first squadron will be in service.

regardless primary concern resolves around why they have to be extended , if the army does not know what it wants it raises concerns regarding the relevance of the GSQR it will submit
If DRDO continues the same, then we will be debating this in 2025 as well.

All design is a compromise of something for something else , with FMBT i see very little or no compromise.
Light weight tank with all the equipment , Armour and capabilities of much heavier contemporary's
The Europeans achieved something similar with the EF and Rafale. The current tanks that we speak of follow design principles from the 70s, even Arjun and T-90. Future designs will be of 2011 and above. The Americans have achieved quite a lot with their 40 ton tank. Too bad for the recession, or we would have seen a finished tank by 2017, as it were.

And i certainly hope that article considering a laser based APS was just the usual nonsense from India reporters
Nope, high chance it is real. The Laser is meant to defeat the IR sensor on ATGMs. Poorer cousins of this laser is seen in IR jammers on helicopters and some aircraft since the 70s. It's not some star wars thing. A 25KW laser is already being tested on a vehicle to clear IEDs. The Laser based APS seems to be a DRDO idea rather than the Armys.

The fact is DRDO has matured basic technologies required for MBTs because of Arjun, like an engine, armour, gun and chassis along with integration of electronics. So, the FMBT will not suffer from lack of basic technologies.

p2prada

I am not sure why P2Prada still thinks the T-90S is such a great tank. Looking at modern tank designs, almost all the major western tanks are now in the 60+ tonne category (M1 Abrams 61 Tonnes, Challenger 2 62 Tonnes, Leopard 62 Tonnes, Merkava 65 tonnes). Even the Chinese and the Japanese Tanks are closer to 60 tonnes.
Why am I harping on about the tonnage of the tanks? Because, with Armor, armament and properly shielded shells, with a sufficiently powerful engine, no modern MBT can be less than 50 tonnes in weight and the better the armor, the closer to 60 tonnes the tank gets.
Now, the question is, what is the Russian secret sauce that keeps their tanks well below 50 tonnes?
Answer: The armor is not as extensive as the western tanks, the engine is underpowered and the shells are not shielded.
All three of these are a no no in terms of survivability of the tanks as seen time and again during the Afghan war and the Chechen wars.
The T-90S was a great design for the 1980s, and even useful for 1990s armor piercing rounds. But by today's standard, it is sadly not the best out there.
The Arjun on the other hand is designed and built similar to western specs and is in the ~60 tonne range, with a powerful Engine and a REALLY good armor.
The IA is still affixed with the idea of soviet tank doctrine and Russian systems. I am not sure if there are kickbacks involved in the IA insistence on buying Russian systems, but a strong favor of Russian systems (being inn use for last 40 years by IA) is definitely there. In addition there is this disbelief about any home-made systems (partly to blame MoD and DRDO) being better than Russian systems. However, from both specs, actual trials and head-to-head exercises, it is now established that the new Arjuns are better than the T-90S or even the upgraded T-90M. Hence the IA order for ~500 Arjun Mk1s. Hopefully in due time, the T-72s will be replaced by the Arjun Mk-2s.
The western tanks have fought poorly equipped and trained enemies. They haven't done particularly well except against old obsolete tanks. The Iraqis have blown up 80 M1 Abrams with just RPGs. The Hezbollah has destroyed at least 30 Merkavas with purely RPGs in Lebanon. Heck one Russia RPG penetrated the Challengers tough frontal armour along with ERA.

Comparatively against RPGs in Chechnya and Georgia, the latest Russian tanks like T-72BM had no damages or losses. The T-90 is a superior variant of the T-72BM. So, go figure.

Unless of course you think Iraqi insurgents or Hezbollah donkey riders are better trained and equipped than the Ex Soviet army war veterans from Chechnya or Georgia.

The 372 orders for Mk2 were bound to come because the Army had already indicated they will not induct an more Arjun's in their "current configuration." BTW, the frontal armour on the T-90 is as tough or tougher than the Leo A4.

As for P2Prada, my friend, stop questioning the Arjun and accept it that in it's current configuration, it is a REALLY good Tank - better than the T-90S or the T-90M.
Perhaps. In terms of electronics and equipment the Arjun Mk2 seems to have the upper hand now. But that is only if the T-90 does not have APS or BMS. Considering the T-90s are undergoing net centric operations at Rajasthan in May, it seems likely they are already equipped with BEL or Israeli made BMS. APS can be debatable. But since Russian tanks are already equipped with APS like Shtora, an iron fist or trophy isn't far from reality.

p2prada

Did I laugh, lol, lmao?

How can this be for the Mark 2 when the Pentium III isnt even produced anymore?
I heard DRDO will be standardizing on processors like Power PC rather than the old intel chips. This diagram may be old or perhaps is using interim prototype technologies.

There is a possibility we are producing PIII rip offs.

Anyway, a lot of electronics are being built with cooperation from Israel at BEL and other establishments for the Army.

gogbot

You made fair few salient point however

Yes. Look at the Swedish J-21R. They built a few, like 60 or something and did not see service for more than 6 years. It was their first jet aircraft.
But the key point there , it was produced and it was supported.
Because it was a first generation design

They had to prove they could do it before they could move one
They had to learn from their first venture.

The sweeds would never have canceled the project if they were serious about pursuing Jet fighter development

Even Americans and Germans have cancelled projects that have brought delays by many years, even decades. The MBT-70 is an example. Even with their advanced industry, they suffered a delay of almost 15 years before the M1A1 by Americans and Leo by Germans replaced the M-60s.
This is once again their 3rd generation design ,

They could afford to cancel and re-design or even start a completely different project.

Who cancels their first generation designs is my question.

It was never a question of redesign, the Army wanted the same design as we see from Gen Roy Chaudhry's remarks about seeing Arjun inductions. DRDO did not deliver, it is as simple as that. Now that DRDO claims the tank is ready, it is too little too late. Nevertheless we will at least see around 500 tanks in operation.
But that was hardly the case, their were so many points raised against the design of the tank in the in last decade.
One could only hear it and understand the Army never wanted anything of that design to begin with.

What if it's ready and is just stuck in bureaucratic red tape at the MoD? You can't blame the army for that. We won't know if PSQR is delayed without official confirmation. We do not even know if Army has even sanctioned a new tank project by saying tanks in their current avatar are obsolete. Unless they tell something, we will never know. So, be patient.
The Army would be very vocal about something like that.
Comments from officials point to nothing coming out of the army

No it is not. International seminar does not signal the start of a GSQR.
It was at the seminar that the Defence minister sanctioned the GSQR for an FMBT

None of them are significantly different from anything that already exists. We are a generation behind all the P-5 countries in Ballistic Missiles.
Are you claiming our nuclear deterrent is not relevant. Without those irrelevant missiles as you claim there would be no deterrent.

Direction, Course and Competence of an army is only judged by a military's performance in battle and not in a public debate.

After 1962, India has excelled in every war fought. This means the Generals are doing something right.

1962 was a political defeat.
1965 was a minor victory, we had the upper hand because we prevented PA from securing their objectives. But we could not capitalize on this. That's why Pak calls it a stalemate.
1971 was a military and intelligence victory.
1985 was a military victory.
1999 was an intelligence failure, but a military victory.
The skirmishes with China were military victories after 1962. The situation in SL was a political defeat.

So, nothing to indicate we have a major problem with how things are going. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
I have NO intention of questioning their tactics , doctrine or strategy with regards to the combat.
But my intent was directed solely to the process of weapons development , which all services are a crucial part of.
And their actions and decisions with regards to weapons development should be questioned.
Just as much as we do DRDO.

The Europeans achieved something similar with the EF and Rafale. The current tanks that we speak of follow design principles from the 70s, even Arjun and T-90. Future designs will be of 2011 and above. The Americans have achieved quite a lot with their 40 ton tank. Too bad for the recession, or we would have seen a finished tank by 2017, as it were.
Your grasping , the 40ton MBT may have cancelled for good reason for all we know.
It may have had poor performance on any parameter.

Nope, high chance it is real. The Laser is meant to defeat the IR sensor on ATGMs. Poorer cousins of this laser is seen in IR jammers on helicopters and some aircraft since the 70s.
This is reasonable ,can be done

It's not some star wars thing. A 25KW laser is already being tested on a vehicle to clear IEDs. The Laser based APS seems to be a DRDO idea rather than the Armys.
This is can't see , system like this will first be found of Naval ships before ever seeing use on tanks.
And i don't see them on ships.

Laser tech is not mature enough for this kind of use. WE are not talking about firing it once every few hours.
We are talking about quick reaction , rapid action systems.

If its DRDO idea , then it won't be in the GSQR and it won't be deliverable.

Last edited:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
may be for mark2 or may be BEL mess up and it is top of the line chip.
Saya last i heard DRDO is setting up its own chip/processor production facility for ruling out any possibility of bugs. So might be they are in process of producing equivalents of Intel chip.

Last edited:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Government planning to set Rs 25,000 crore chip-manufacturing units fearing rogue programs in imported chips

KOLKATA: Fearing the possibility of rogue programs getting embedded in imported chips that could compromise security of critical installations, the government is planning to two chip-manufacturing units at an investment topping Rs 25,000 crore.

Right now, there are no chip manufacturing facilities in India and the department of information technology has recently received the Union Cabinet's nod for the project. The facilities will be set up either exclusively by the Defence Research and Development Organisation ( DRDO) and a defence public sector unit or through a public-private partnership.

"Plans include setting up a semiconductor unit (Fab-1) with established technology to support fabrication of chips to meet the requirement of high volume products as well as the requirement of the fab-less design companies on pay-per-use basis. This activity may involve either setting up a plant in India with established technology or acquiring an existing fabrication abroad and its eventual relocation to India. The government support needed for either of the options will be negotiated," a department of information technology statement said on Wednesday.

Fab-2 - the second phase of the project -- will entail a greenfield state-of-the-art semiconductor fabrication unit. This would imply giving equity or grant to an established integrated device manufacturer to set up the unit in India. The amount of equity or grant will also be negotiated with the government, the note said.

To begin with, the department will set up an empowered committee that will identify technology and investors for the facilities.

This committee will recommend the sequence and priority between the proposed Fab-1 and Fab-2 facilities. The members will also assess and recommend the nature and quantum of government support such as equity, grant or subsidy in physical or financial terms that may be required to translate the interest into investment.

This committee will submit its recommendations to the government by July 31. The decision to set up a fabrication facility was originally mooted by another committee comprising the chairman of the National Manufacturing Competitiveness Council (NMCC) and the adviser to Prime Minister on Public Information Infrastructure and Innovation; secretary, information technology and secretary, telecommunications.

p2prada

They had to prove they could do it before they could move one
They had to learn from their first venture.

The sweeds would never have canceled the project if they were serious about pursuing Jet fighter development
They inducted prototype designs. One squadron had British engine and another squadron had Swedish engine. The one with British served for 3 years followed by the Swedish for another 3.

The following future developments of different designs saw inductions in the hundreds for 2 or more decades. The J-21R was only inducted as a matter or pride but SAF never liked it. It wasn't canceled but was dumped.

This is once again their 3rd generation design ,

They could afford to cancel and re-design or even start a completely different project.

Who cancels their first generation designs is my question.
There is no such thing as who cancels the first generation design. It is always about what works. The people who designed the first generation design are either retired or dead. So, the people working on the 3rd generation design is actually their first design. Do you think the Abrams designers are working even today?

Canceling a project in the US or India is of no difference. If India deploys the first 4th generation tank, then all other generations preceding it are moot. But if India cancels the project, say 10 years down the line, then only the experience can be carried forward immediately. If it takes another 10 years to start a fresh new design, then even the experience gained is mostly lost.

So, this is never a question about canceling the first generation design because the Arjun is our first design and the FMBT is also our first design but of a different generation. At the same time, the F-22 is the first design while F-35 is the second. That's how it is.

For whatever reasons any project is canceled, starting a new project will always delay induction by a decade or more no matter how well experienced the development team is.

But that was hardly the case, their were so many points raised against the design of the tank in the in last decade.
One could only hear it and understand the Army never wanted anything of that design to begin with.
The only objection the Army raised was the weight. The requirements were never in question. The other factor mentioned is that because the T-90 was inducted it did not make sense for the Army to induct another tank of similar capability.

Then you have to see costs of induction as well. If the Army commits to Arjun, the current cost of 124 tanks is Rs 40Crores each unit, this is what the Army paid. It is nearly 4 times the cost of the T-90 or even 2x if you add the same kits on T-90. But what's more costly isn't just inducting the tank alone, it is building the support infrastructure for it. This includes a parts factory, repair and overhaul, training and the most expensive, a logistical structure with support vehicles. Do you realistically think the Army will spend 2x or 3x the cost it takes to induct the T-90 with all the extras for a tank that has shown slightly superior capability in some respects, slightly inferior capability in others, especially when the supplier is quite reliable?

The Army would be very vocal about something like that.
Comments from officials point to nothing coming out of the army
No. The Army rarely ever criticizes the MoD. They just make up horror stories for release of funds. They won't bite the hand that feeds it. For whatever reason the PSQR is delayed, it does not mean we have to be hung up on it as we don't know anything.

It was at the seminar that the Defence minister sanctioned the GSQR for an FMBT
Sanction does not come by word of mouth, sanction comes by release of papers from MoD. The minister mentioned it in a speech, the sanction takes a long time to come. How many times have you heard about politicians promising things but not delivering. They shoot their mouths all the time.

Are you claiming our nuclear deterrent is not relevant. Without those irrelevant missiles as you claim there would be no deterrent.
Who said that? Don't put words in my mouth. I said the technology we use is a generation behind the technology the P-5 uses, this includes Cryogenic engines and many electronics.

Irrevelance is moot, what works is what matters. Our missiles work and hence they matter.

I have NO intention of questioning their tactics , doctrine or strategy with regards to the combat.
But my intent was directed solely to the process of weapons development , which all services are a crucial part of.
And their actions and decisions with regards to weapons development should be questioned.
Just as much as we do DRDO.
It cannot be done. They are the experts, the Army. We are not. We just like to butt in and make comments without understanding anything of importance. Even if you question their actions, they don't have a channel to tell you why they took that action. They cannot go to the media by law. This means whatever actions they take is beyond scrutiny of regular people. They are answerable to the MoD and the President, no one else. Most of their set up or I should say all of their set up does not come under Right to Information Act. You want info, you won't get it.

But DRDO comes under RTI for financial and management categories.

Your grasping , the 40ton MBT may have cancelled for good reason for all we know.
It may have had poor performance on any parameter.
The reason given was the same as the MBT-70. Cost. Robert Gates canceled the FCS citing costs. They started a FCS-lite program. The technological hurdles in prototype form are difficult to quantify.

This is can't see , system like this will first be found of Naval ships before ever seeing use on tanks.
And i don't see them on ships.
They are already on aircraft like the YAL-1.

Laser tech is not mature enough for this kind of use. WE are not talking about firing it once every few hours.
We are talking about quick reaction , rapid action systems.
Don't know about how soon the product will be ready but DRDO is currently testing a 25KW laser on a BMP-2 against mines and IEDs.

If its DRDO idea , then it won't be in the GSQR and it won't be deliverable.
A lot of ideas in the GSQR will be based on what DRDO says is feasible. It's isn't something that the Army pulls out of their arses contrary to belief.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles