Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

Agantrope

@Rahul,
Unmanned turret is basically a turret operated via remote control inside the hull of the tank, On present heavy tanks like merkava, abrams, Arjun, T-72/90 etc, crew sits in the turret ( Gunner & commander ) which also increase the size of the turret,

On unmanned turret tank, commander, gunner & driver sits in the heavily armored chassis, this modification allows the turret to be smaller hence reducing weight of the tank too..

Presently only Jordanians army use FALCON unmanned 120mm turret ( Indigenous development ) on challenger-1 chassis..

http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product675.html
http://www.claverham.com/falconII.htm
http://www.deagel.com/Weapon-Stations/Falcon_a002222001.aspx
http://kaddbinvest.net/static/project1.shtm

Also regarding Indian Light tank, we are getting from JV with Polish, The light tank is having 120mm unmanned turret, the firstt prototype will be seen on this September..

Their is a dedicated thread on it..
http://www.defenceforum.in/forum/showthread.php/11870-New-Polish-Indo-light-tank..
Sir, does that means more APU? How will that operate in the hunter killer or Silent killer operations? Because moving a turret of that size require atleast a 8-12KW 360 degree 180 steps (my perception) stepper motor? Could please enlighten?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Sir, does that means more APU? How will that operate in the hunter killer or Silent killer operations? Because moving a turret of that size require atleast a 8-12KW 360 degree 180 steps (my perception) stepper motor? Could please enlighten?
Yes, it need more electricity to do the work, Polish-Indo light tank do have a powerful APU.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Yeah, i liked your concept, like merkava engine is placed at front for protection of the crew, though one thing arise is about vision, in this concept Driver have to relay heavily on electronics..
yeah with drive by wire tech both can drive and operate the tank (gun must be auto loader) with camera for 360 degree view. Arjun tank dont have rear view camera.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
yeah with drive by wire tech both can drive and operate the tank (gun must be auto loader) with camera for 360 degree view. Arjun tank dont have rear view camera.
One more thing in your deign, the space occupied beneath the turret is not necessary as the auto-loader is not carousel-based, therefore the crew can seat beneath the turret, the thing is same in INDO-POLISH light tank, Regarding surveillance commander sights can be attached with RCWS ( Like in T-90S ) can give a 360 view..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
yeah this is Arjun MK-III concept that means it is some 20 years away by that time there will be many tech developments and change the way wars are fought. i tried to give the present day tech for the concept.

jackal4me

And since you know how the system works yet you trust DRDO with a NG MBT?
i belive them and i have recently read(in a blog called subcontinentaldef(.)net) that the army wants high tech weaponry for its NG MBT like lasers and etc for its NG tank.

jackal4me

how long will it take is the big question that is going on in my mind too i hope to c some interesting news in the future, if the arjun tank took 10 years to develop from scratchthen it will take another tank to develop from a proven platform like this for atleast another 5 to 7 years as the army wants some serious harware like laser and other latest features in it.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Not 10 years, it took more than 25 years to be developed completely. And now DRDO will not take the same time for the development of FMBT because of the globalization i defence sector and also the increased capabalities and reputation of DRDO.

plugwater

Indian Army is placing an order for 124 Arjun Tanks Mark II

The Indian Army is placing an order for 124 Arjun Tanks Mark – II in addition to the equal number of Mark – I ordered earlier. Tank T-90, Tank T-72, and Arjun tanks are all main battle tanks of the Indian Army.

This information was given by Defence Minister Shri AK Antony in a written reply to Shri BP Tarai and Shri Prabodh Panda in Lok Sabha today.

http://pib.nic.in/release/release.asp?relid=64467

Agantrope

Mark - II or Batch II of Mark I. I hope the specs are not finalised for the Arjun Mk-II.
Order for Mk-I 248 and it is mentioned as equal number of Mk-II??? something confusing. Or second order is diverted to the mk-ii?

As per my source HVF started the work on the 127th tank

plugwater

Mark - II or Batch II of Mark I. I hope the specs are not finalised for the Arjun Mk-II.
Order for Mk-I 248 and it is mentioned as equal number of Mk-II??? something confusing. Or second order is diverted to the mk-ii?

As per my source HVF started the work on the 127th tank
This order is for mark II version. So the sad news is there will no more orders for mark I version. They have finalized the spec for mark II, first Arjun mark II will be ready for trails by June 2012

sandeepdg

I don't think that the Arjun Mark-II and the FMBT are one and the same thing !! So the Mark-2 may not have such high tech stuff like lasers to take out missiles and sensors !

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I don't think that the Arjun Mark-II and the FMBT are one and the same thing !! So the Mark-2 may not have such high tech stuff like lasers to take out missiles and sensors !
If so, consider MK-1 dead ( Sad ) If those new MK-2 will be in service by 2012 end then they will have same APS as T-90 have..

Ps. I hope its not like T-90 deign, Mk-2 is a 50ton class..

plugwater

If so, consider MK-1 dead ( Sad ) If those new MK-2 will be in service by 2012 end then they will have same APS as T-90 have..

Ps. I hope its not like T-90 deign, Mk-2 is a 50ton class..
First MK-II prototype will be ready for trails by June 2012 and will be inducted only by 2014.

gogbot

Most of the advanced Features are future spec for FMBT requirement.
Which includes the "lasers"

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Guys lets not get confused with improved Arjun MK-I (lets called it 'A' original one and 'B' improved one with LAHAT and other things ) with that of Arjun Mk-II (which will have three man crew and auto loader a part from host of there features).

it appears that order goes like this (assumption): 124 of Arjun MK-I (A) and 124 of Arjun MK-I (B).

lambu

recent military analysis suggested that arjun is not upto T90 and there was news that DRDO wanted to start arjun projcet from the begining.

gogbot

recent military analysis suggested that arjun is not upto T90 and there was news that DRDO wanted to start arjun projcet from the begining.
Arjun trumped T-90 at the trials, no article refuted that claim , Only thing that had happened was an Increase in orders for the Arjun.
Now another order for the MK-II Arjun battle tank.

Yet people continue to doubt.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles