Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
recent military analysis suggested that arjun is not upto T90 and there was news that DRDO wanted to start arjun projcet from the begining.
Recent Mili Analysis?
Arjun beats T-90 in most aspects like fire-power, Ground pressure, Armour ratings etc..

Pls provide Link..

Agantrope

recent military analysis suggested that arjun is not upto T90 and there was news that DRDO wanted to start arjun projcet from the begining.
Any articles to support this claim? Dont start the argument for the namesake. If arjun flunked, then this news would have major stories as the selective leak would have happened

jackal4me

Code:
any news of bhim ????
i think the projec t was scrapped for some procurement reasons for the gun

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Code:
any news of bhim ????
i think the projec t was scrapped for some procurement reasons for the gun
get update, it was revived by DRDO, new gun possibly on Arjun chassis. With the urgency for big for IA, this project again become significant, as told at Defexpo.

jackal4me

get update, it was revived by DRDO, new gun possibly on Arjun chassis. With the urgency for big for IA, this project again become significant, as told at Defexpo.
wow that was so naive of me for not updating myself, and its great news.

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
Modernisation of T-72 Tanks Vis-a-Vis Arjun Tanks
The Army follows a philosophy of having a mix of legacy equipment, equipment with matured technology and state-of-the-art equipment. T-72 tank is not an antiquated equipment. Therefore, the Army intends to retrofit/upgrade these tanks to enhance their mission reliability and life expectancy.

Orders for 124 Main Battle Tank (MBT) Arjun have already been placed on the Heavy Vehicles Factory, Avadi. As on date, 85 MBT Arjun Tanks have been issued to the Army. Keeping in view the production capacity for MBT Arjun Tanks and strategic considerations, the Government is also exercising the option for modernising T-72 tanks instead of total replacement of these tanks on completion of their life span.

This information was given by Defence Minister Shri AK Antony in written reply to Shri MV Mysura Reddy in Rajya Sabha today.

DM / RAJ

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
saya saar any hint given on the gun used?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
saya saar any hint given on the gun used?
All they said is that project was revived, some guys in BR is saying some other company.

but we should IMHO go with South korea on this they have JV with L&T and L&T has reputation to deliver the goods.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Arjun Mark II would be ordered much more than 124. The additional 124 tanks ordered were the same as Mk1 configuration. Arjun MBT Mk.2 is the future replacement of T-72 along with FMBT programme.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
The additional 124 tanks ordered were the same as Mk1 configuration.
yeah almost same with Lahat/CLGM and its integration with commander sight. (now let me tell you what is meant) with that Arjun will have beyond line of sight capability.

Shot at 2010-02-13

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The Army follows a philosophy of having a mix of legacy equipment, equipment with matured technology and state-of-the-art equipment. T-72 tank is not an antiquated equipment. Therefore, the Army intends to retrofit/upgrade these tanks to enhance their mission reliability and life expectancy.
Some T-72 of Soviet era, Still in service, Its inside is nothing less than hell, No matter how much u update it..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Update ARJUN with T-72..

Their can be lots of Update can be done on Arjun MK-1..

1. Updating with heavy Era on front like Russian/Ukrainian way..
2. Use of Euro Lepa4 update as Arjun degin based on LeoA4, If requested this can be done in JV with IBD & DRDO..

Singaporean LEO update..

Le0A4 evolution.
IBD Deisenroth Engineering - MBT Evolution

With 1500hp it can easily move and nothing can penetrate it for next 20years..

Last edited:

Agantrope

Arjun Mark II would be ordered much more than 124. The additional 124 tanks ordered were the same as Mk1 configuration. Arjun MBT Mk.2 is the future replacement of T-72 along with FMBT programme.
Ok, let me clear. Army ordered the second batch of the Mark-I of the Arjun Tanks. Only by 2012 the prototype of Mk-II will roll out.
As sayare said batch-2 will be able to fire the LAHAT/CLGM Heli rounds.

I urge the mods to change the Title of this thread.

Agantrope

All they said is that project was revived, some guys in BR is saying some other company.

but we should IMHO go with South korea on this they have JV with L&T and L&T has reputation to deliver the goods.
Sayare, Still i dont understand why the Arjun havent applied the sloped armour tech and went for a conventional design?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Sayare, Still i dont understand why the Arjun havent applied the sloped armour tech and went for a conventional design?
Agan the reason given was the design of kanchan armour it's very difficult for sloped design

flaming arrow

From wht i have heard is that.. they plan to give that slope on armour with the help of ERA tiles..lets see wht change in turret design does mk2 comes with,an APU along with an AC is required fr the comfort of the crew.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
OK Sri and nitesh this is what was told by the guys who work on the tank, first it was made to survive hit from anti tank weapon and not to deflect it which means all design is made on the basis of survivability from direct front attach and not to deflect the warhead of anti tank weapon.

BTW the hit survival is the GSQR by the IA only then this design has been made. (without GSQR DRDO cannot make anything they cannot make Nag man portable, since it IA has any GSQR for the same)

How what FA is saying is true, i specifically asked this question. the answer was these are the accessories of tank, (if you take a close look at T90 and Al Khalids and others those ERAs are add on kit they are not made on the tanks). These ERA can be added on to the Arjun tank it wont take much time to add those, but guys said that what is the point in adding more weight when it can withstand and survive hit from enemy tank without ERA.

you see the tank is design keeping in view survival of tank crew so that they can take hit and survive, therefore the tank has that kind of armor, plus you will see M1A1 and even the MBT from Korea and Japan are having the same design feature for armor that goes on to show that we have bet on the right horse. Plus we have seen in the Georgia war with Russia that ERA is not much of help from the new age Anti tank weapons.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
BTW i even measure the armor plate on Arjun and T72 tank and they are really world a part. :special13:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles