Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
If I am not wrong drdo has developed the similar soft kill system against laser.
I've never seen it. Definitely not operational.

ALWACS softkill system of Elbit that has IR jammer & laser dazzker, was once proposed, but it was not adopted into the upgrade package in favor of other components such as heavy explosive reactive armor.
ALWACS Arjun.PNG

So DRDO only used the laser warning system & created a soft-kill APS out of the smoke grenade launchers... I however don't know if it can differentiate between laser from rangefinders or ATGM guidance system. Otherwise there's gonna be some false alarms.

Still I reckon it will be fairly protective against most surprise attack by gun or guided missile. Ambush is the greatest threat to tanks since 1940.

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I've never seen it. Definitely not operational.

ALWACS softkill system of Elbit that has IR jammer & laser dazzker, was once proposed, but it was not adopted into the upgrade package in favor of other components such as heavy explosive reactive armor.
View attachment 61413
So DRDO only used the laser warning system & created a soft-kill APS out of the smoke grenade launchers... I however don't know if it can differentiate between laser from rangefinders or ATGM guidance system. Otherwise there's gonna be some false alarms.

Still I reckon it will be fairly protective against most surprise attack by gun or guided missile. Ambush is the greatest threat to tanks since 1940.
check this out.
Wcc9JdV.jpg

AZjQjwD.jpg

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
On closer notice, I reckon this is the final configuration of Mark1A where it seems like they added ERA at the front too & mounted the "thingy" above it.
EW7qqn1U4AEtU2T.jpeg

@Chinmoy @porky_kicker @Karthi any idea what that thing actually is?.. I thought it's a laser designator for missile but the TankEx or Arjun Mark1 at CLGM test fire didn't have it (...Also wouldn't laser rangefinder double as one? Isn't that why tanks missile are laser guided & not IIR?).

Chinmoy

Country flag
On closer notice, I reckon this is the final configuration of Mark1A where it seems like they added ERA at the front too & mounted the "thingy" above it. View attachment 61846

@Chinmoy @porky_kicker @Karthi any idea what that thing actually is?.. I thought it's a laser designator for missile but the TankEx or Arjun Mark1 at CLGM test fire didn't have it (...Also wouldn't laser rangefinder double as one? Isn't that why tanks missile are laser guided & not IIR?).
Seems like Automatic target tracker. Not sure though.

Deathstar

Country flag
Why Arjun has 7 wheeled track while usual tanks have 6 and what are those drums at rear? Fuel?

BlackViking

Country flag
Why Arjun has 7 wheeled track while usual tanks have 6 and what are those drums at rear? Fuel?
the drums at the rear are additional fuel tanks. Arjun having more wheels because of it's extra size compared to Russian tanks which are much smaller.

both leopard and Abrams are comparable to Arjun in dimensions and specifications.

porky_kicker

Country flag
On closer notice, I reckon this is the final configuration of Mark1A where it seems like they added ERA at the front too & mounted the "thingy" above it. View attachment 61846

Laser designator powerful enough to work at 5 km range, in my opinion.

I would have preferred a rotating designator both in azimuth and elevation instead of a fixed one.

During test external laser designator was used most probably.

It doesn't matter much now arjun is too late.

Last edited:

Karthi

Country flag

I am not sure what this is , it may be a thermal site for tank crew , but looking at the square shape it may be muzzle velocity tracking equipment not sure

Trololo

Country flag
Any designs available for the Arjun Mk2? And how will it differ from Mk1A?

Rassil Krishnan

Country flag
yes those are fuels which are meant to be dropped as it supplies fuel till the tank reaches the sight of battle in theory and then jettisons and uses internal fuel.same principle is used in soviet tanks.

WolfPack86

Country flag
PM rides Arjun tank, DRDO hopes for Army orders for advanced version of indigenous tank

Buoyant after Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Arjun tank ride in Jaisalmer, the Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO) on Saturday expressed hope that it would soon be getting an order for supplying 118 Arjun Mark 1A tanks which are far more advanced than the present version. “We were really proud to see the Prime Minister taking a ride in the Arjun tank in the deserts of Jaisalmer. We are now hoping that the Army would soon be placing orders for two more regiments of Arjun Mark 1A tanks,” DRDO’s scientist V Balaguru told ANI. Balaguru is the associate director of the Combat Vehicle Research Development Research Establishment laboratory of DRDO in Chennai. The Army has, so far, inducted 124 Arjun tanks which are deployed in the deserts of Jaisalmer along the border with Pakistan. Balaguru said the Arjun Mark 1A has 72 added features than its older version with the capability of taking care of anti-tank mines on its own with its mine ploughs. The 12.7-inch air defence gun also can now be operated from inside the tank by the tank commander using a remote control without exposing himself to the enemy firing in times of tank battles in open fields. The exiting two regiments are deployed around Jaisalmer as part of an armoured brigade there. DRDO is also hoping to provide the solution for Indian Army’s next-generation main battle tank requirements as part of the Aatmanirbhar Bharat initiative of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles