Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

DivineHeretic

Country flag
Ok, I will try to put it in simple way, if I'm right.. :) and please feel free to correct me if needed.

You can make afloat a needle(thin ones used for sewing cloths) on water surface due to water surface tension(imagine surface tension like very very thin strings covering the water surface, similar to badminton racket). one can easily experiment it at home, put a tissue paper in water and at top of it a needle. In a few seconds the tissue will go under water once it gets wet, but the needle will keep floating, due to tension of water surface. But when you try to put a similar shaped but bigger and heavy needle it will go under the water, even if it is made of same material & the design is same(meaning same pressure on surface), as that tension(imaginary strings) can no longer take the weight.

In case of ground each different layers(soil character varies as you go deeper, even by a few inches), acts similar to water surface tension, and hence once the weight of a vehicle reaches a critical stage it will sink irrespective of its ground pressure.
Your final understanding is fairly correct. Your analogy, unfortunately, is not. Your have to consider Force due to buoyancy as well in case of water.

If you wish to get a basic idea of soils under load, check this thread out.

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/members-corner/56139-suitablity-soils-vehicle-movement.html

Lets keep this thread on Arjun only.

DivineHeretic

Country flag
If thats the case all heavy structures like buildings will just sink right?I know they have a foundation but what about big rocks weighing more than many arjuns?
Yup, If building loads exceed the soil bearing capacity, it will simply sink. This is why for very heavy buildings you dig right upto the bedrock or use certain soil consolidation techniques. I wont go into details, but just check Pile foundation in wiki if you wish to know how the effects of soft/weak soil are countered.
@cloud, The Building height limit is not too dependent on the soil strength if the foundation is properly designed to proper depth. Other parameters, I.e. wind speed and seismic activity are more important considerations. Most of Mumbai is swamp land, and still you find skyscrapers being constructed.

The buildings that fail are usually due to soil weakening to water entering the soil base or due to sudden seismic activity liquefying the soil.

And Buildings do sink in three stages. You are most likely referring to the secondary stage or time dependent settling.

Last edited by a moderator:

ramakrishna

Wonder..!! I am really surprised to see the list of best Main Battles Tanks World Wide...I scrolled down with much interest to see the position of Arjun Tanks in the list.

Shocked to see it was not even at 10 :shocked: :sad: :sad:

However Russian Made Indian Main battle tank is at number 4 :cool2:

Much Eagerly waiting to see Indigenous MBT Competing with this list..... All the Best DRDO :thumb:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Don't follow such lists, Such lists are mostly based on other details then just technical ..

Regarding Army technology i have read that Arjun mk1 was a failed project and closed with no induction in sight ..

`
Wonder..!! I am really surprised to see the list of best Main Battles Tanks World Wide...I scrolled down with much interest to see the position of Arjun Tanks in the list.

Much Eagerly waiting to see Indigenous MBT Competing with this list..... All the Best DRDO :thumb:

jmj_overlord

Don't follow such lists, Such lists are mostly based on other details then just technical ..

Regarding Army technology i have read that Arjun mk1 was a failed project and closed with no induction in sight ..

`
why was al khalid in top 10 in many lists ? Is it more superior in performance compared to arjun tanks ?

The Fox

India has recently conducted field trial tests of its new local-made main battle tank Arjun Mk-II, an upgraded version of the Arjun Mk-I version, have thrown mixed results with the fire power comprising Israeli LAHAT missile falling short of expectation even as its overall performance left defence scientists upbeat.
["‹IMG]
New Indian-made main battle tank Arjun Mk II during field trial tests.

Arjun Mk- II was put to extensive tests including a lot of firing from May to August this year in Rajasthan, a defence source said, adding that the tank also covered more than 1,000 km in the field trials. The Army and the Defence Research and Development Organisation ( DRDO) are separately evaluating results of the field trials held at the desert of Rajasthan.
There was no dispute between the developers and the users on the tank's performance on around 60 per cent of the parameters, the source said. In fact, DRDO scientists plan to showcase the Arjun tank's advanced version at the Republic Day parade next year.

But the trial outcome showed that the tank underperformed on two major counts – missile firing capability and muzzle reference system ( MRS). The MRS is an electronic device that is intended to measure the current value of a tank barrel bend in order to take it into account when firing the gun and, therefore, to improve the accuracy of firing.

The Israeli LAHAT missile performed well but it left a lot of smoke in the tank's compartment, the source said. Efforts were already underway to sort out the issue. Help is also being sought from the missile's manufacturer Israeli Aerospace Industries ( IAI).

The Army agreed to accept Arjun Mk- II after the DRDO made several improvements to meet its expectations.

Subsequently, the DRDO decided to develop the upgraded version with 16 major and 56 minor changes. The Arjun core committee, comprising Army representatives and DRDO scientists, met every year to remove obstacles so that delays could be avoided. Within a short span of two- and- ahalf- year after the parameters for Arjun Mk- II were finalised, DRDO scientists were able to build two prototypes.
India has recently conducted field trial tests with new local-made Arjun Mk-II main battle tank 0912---Army Recognition

rohit b3

Country flag

I LOL everytime i see Uk's Challenger 2 in the Top 5. Thats the slowest tank in the world , has the weakest Power/Weight ratio of all comparable tanks and has pretty less options for its Firepower round. Ignore such lists.. :p

Stalinet

most of us know about the qualities of the Arjun mbt so why isnt" Indian army ordering them in large numbers

sayareakd

Country flag
most of us know about the qualities of the Arjun mbt so why isnt" Indian army ordering them in large numbers
Arjun tank maker OFB cannot pay bribes, as only the Parliament of India, can allow GOI to make payments from Consolidated fund of India, which is called passing of budget.

Russians to sell its weapons dont have this handicap.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Future version of arjun mbt say arjun mk3 would need a more powerful gun than the current 120mm rifled gun. drdo has gained some experience by developing 125mm tank gun for t-90(as russia rufused tot) and is going for a 120mm smoothbore tank gun for ajun mk3/fmbt .My suggestion is to go for an 120 mm gun based on electro-chemical technology which uses a plasma cartridge to ignite and control the ammunition's propellant, using electrical energy to trigger the process. ETC increases the performance of conventional solid propellants, reduces the effect of temperature on propellant expansion and allows for more advanced, higher density propellants to be used.Other countries like usa,britain and germany are doing active research in this field and it is much more viable than rail guns and coil gun in terms of energy and space efficiency.Others please do share your comments in this regards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrothermal-chemical_technology

pkroyal

With 55% videshi parts even after close to 40 years( first sanctioned in 1974) in the making the Arjun MBT

It still has very few qualities of the great warrior.

its a monstrosity, and in local parlance a Jugaad that is the reason it has not been fully inducted in the Armoured Regiments.

Let us face it from Radars to AEWCS most of our so called defence indigenous heavy duty stuff has imported parts ranging from 5% to 67%(respectively)

Last edited:

sayareakd

Country flag
With 55% videshi parts even after close to 40 years( first sanctioned in 1974) in the making the Arjun MBT

its a monstrosity, and in local parlance a Jugaad that is the reason it has not been fully inducted in the Armoured Regiments.

Let us face it from Radars to AEWCS most of our so called defence indigenous heavy duty stuff has imported parts ranging from 5% to 67%(respectively)

let say we make every nut bolt and pin here then what will happen to cost of making a tank. That is why we have foreign trade in economics.

pkroyal

let say we make every nut bolt and pin here then what will happen to cost of making a tank. That is why we have foreign trade in economics.
The argument does not hold.
Indigenous means " originating or occurring in a place" also ' native'.
What happens in the midst of a full scale war, some important ' nut/ bolt /pin' are held back by the exporting country
Our fighting comes to a stand still because we could, not manufacture a pin.?

sayareakd

Country flag
The argument does not hold.
Indigenous means " originating or occurring in a place" also ' native'.
What happens in the midst of a full scale war, some important ' nut/ bolt /pin' are held back by the exporting country
Our fighting comes to a stand still because we could, not manufacture a pin.?
Pin per say dont means it, pin only.
in Arjun tank because of low order it was economical to get engine and power plant from abroad. Economies of scale dont make it viable to make everything here.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
I highly disagree about % of Indian made parts in Arjun MBT claimed by TOI knee jerking news reporting ..

Gun : Indian
Transmission : Indian
Armour : Indian
FCS : Indian
tracks, Wheel, Chassis : Indian
Electronics : Indian
Engine : German

==============

How, exactly someone claimed it to be a 55% made in India components, I should not be ashamed to claim that Arjun an Indian made and design tank outgun and Outrun Russian design and Indian made T-90 in trails by a good margin ..

Its design feature is also very good compare to T tanks, Its design for Indian terrain, I can answer questions you have, I learned few things by observing this tank development ..