Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

Austin

These are certainly Prototype of Arjun Mk2 weather derived from Mk1 or new built not a final production model.

The new panoramic sight seems to be a IIR type and not Thermal Imager

p2prada

P2p can you back your statement that mk-2 is still under construction? Or you can guarantee your statement.
I think there are a lot of articles talking about it, mainly interviews. This prototype is a test bed for the real tank. Of course the Mk2 won't look significantly different from Mk1, but a lot of flaws are expected to be fixed.

Meaning the pictures are for Mk1, not for Mk2. The Mk2 should be at the end of prototype stage or already undergoing tests, but not the tank we see here.

The final production model will be ready only in 2013-14 period with construction starting around that time. That will be followed by a 4-5 years production run for 124 tanks.

sayareakd

Country flag
I think there are a lot of articles talking about it, mainly interviews. This prototype is a test bed for the real tank. Of course the Mk2 won't look significantly different from Mk1, but a lot of flaws are expected to be fixed.

Meaning the pictures are for Mk1, not for Mk2. The Mk2 should be at the end of prototype stage or already undergoing tests, but not the tank we see here.

The final production model will be ready only in 2013-14 period with construction starting around that time. That will be followed by a 4-5 years production run for 124 tanks.
you didnt answer my question, is MK-2 complete or not ? simple question.

thanks.

p2prada

you didnt answer my question, is MK-2 complete or not ? simple question.

thanks.
I thought I did. It is not known. The photos released are Mk1 with elements of Mk2. Maybe even new electronics inside.

Maybe my source is wrong and it is Mk2. But the photos released are not the complete kit. You will supposedly see a lot of changes by the time the 3rd prototype is released. This is more of a tech demonstrator.

p2prada

Re: Arjun Main Battle Tank MK2 CITV technology..

:tsk:

:taunt1::taunt1:
Hmm, I have not seen this picture before. I have only seen the ones that Akim posted.
Âåñòíèê Ìîðäîâèè :: Åäèíñòâåííûé øàíñ ñïàñòè èíäèéñêèé òàíê "Àðäæóí" - óñòàíîâêà áàøíè îò Ò-90ÌÑ è óêðàèíñêîãî äâèãàòåëÿ 6ÒÄ-5 ìîùíîñòüþ 1800 ë.ñ.

But still, this is not the actual Mk2 model. The armour hole on it's right needs to go and covered with ERA, or hopefully NERA. The Trophy placements need to be made along with radar emplacements. The smoke grenade launcher is supposed to be redesigned.

They need to make armour holes for side ERAs too.

The Panoramic sights also need to be placed.

All they did is take an Mk1. They removed the old sights and covered up the armour hole next to the barrel, covered parts of the turret with ERA and called it Mk2 P1. It is more like a TD that I had already mentioned in my previous post. There are very simple visual cues which show that it is a Mk1.

The real Mk2 prototype will come when the turret and hull have the correct and actual Mk2 skeleton instead of this mess.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Re: Arjun Main Battle Tank MK2 CITV technology..

:tsk:

:taunt1::taunt1:
Good Observation Sir..

It means this is P1, The other one on side must be P2..

The initial Prototype was just a DRDO Arjun MK1 modified for MK2 electronics a test bed as early as 2006 !!

bhramos

Country flag
COOLING GARMENT FOR TANK CREW

Developed to provide comfort to the tank crew operating in extreme hot conditions

Solid State Cooling System
The cooling unit supplies 750 ml of cold water at 21 Celcius to the cooling garment continuously in closed loop to extract heat.
Evaluated in field conditions of desert fitted I MBT Arjun.

Last edited:

Jim Street

Country flag
There are too many comparison of Arjum MKII with other tanks in the world.

Can anyone briefly explain how useful Arjun MKII is according to our environmental condition and terrain, and point out major factors for noobs like me ?

Just few lines ans some salient features.

sayareakd

Country flag
@jim
1. You can target at 6-8km range, Pak can only at 4km.
2. More Protection.
3. Non line of sight firing for missile.
4. 360 degree full awarness.
5. RCWS, commander does not have to go out.
6. Trophy for RPG type threats.
7. BFSR (not confired)
8. More Indian Contents.
9. New Ammo, anti heli, anti personal round(Isreal).
Etc

kaustav2001

Country flag
Cross Posting from another Thread - "Indian Army Armored Vehicles"
Originally posted by Kunal Biswas -

A question to people who may have seen/ examined the EX Tank. How difficult would it be to replace the existing Arjun turret with that of the EX Tank. Being smaller it would have a reduced weight penalty (not sure if overall protection will be drastically less) but with add on ERA (as in the MK2 prototype) it should be ok. Also being smaller it would preset a smaller target to the enemy tanks. Only question would be would it be able to accommodate all the gadgets etc.. from the standard Arjun turret.

kaustav2001

Country flag
tank Ex has Arjun tank turret.
Arjun tank turret on body of T72.
The turrets look different (Gun mantel .. front armour is also kind off sloped). EX tank turret look a little smaller, but again I wouldn't know as I haven't seen them in person but from available pictures the EX tank turret looks smaller.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
How difficult would it be to replace the existing Arjun turret with that of the EX Tank. Being smaller it would have a reduced weight penalty (not sure if overall protection will be drastically less) but with add on ERA (as in the MK2 prototype) it should be ok.
Arjun turret is about 20tons out of 58 tons, Arjun turret is longer and wider not taller..

New Arjun turret on Mk2 have new Armour Module on sides, Which increase weight but these modules cover Arjun sides which were vulnerable before..

Ex turret was cut short so that it can be fitted on T-72 chassis..

Articles