Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

p2prada

It's funny how we have had generals retired from service and even court martialled for pretty crimes like irregularities in ration or small time land deals and we have members accusing generals of scams which would put kalmadi and raja to shame, simply because an inferior tank was rejected and hurt some pride.

Damian

Armour composition is a major part of tank protection,
Of course, but armor composition is not only one element of armor protection as a whole.

It cannot be said a T-72M is same as T-72A,
Why? T-72A/M/M1 use preaty advanced armor for its generation.

I remind You that PT-91 tested by Polish Army survived hits from RH-120/L44 gun using DM33A1 ammunition, so it is not fair to say that these tanks are not well protected, they are for their generation.

About test , those pics are of early 90s..
What pics?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Of course, but armor composition is not only one element of armor protection as a whole.

Why? T-72A/M/M1 use preaty advanced armor for its generation.

I remind You that PT-91 tested by Polish Army survived hits from RH-120/L44 gun using DM33A1 ammunition, so it is not fair to say that these tanks are not well protected, they are for their generation.

What pics?
I never Disagree on it..

For their generations, What i said A & M cannot be compared, both have major difference in Armour composition..

Not newer shells..

Damian

What i said A & M cannot be compared, both have major difference in Armour composition..
T-72A, T-72M and T-72M1 use more or less same armor.

True however that Warsaw Pact countries got T-72M/M1's with better armor than non Warsaw Pact countries.

agentperry

so kunal you think that you will be able to scale the himalayan heights with tatra, Indian rail and 16 c-17s....i beg to differ.... 2 front war... means quick movt of men material from one front to another in case need arises... if u had followed the news about moving t-72 to Indo-tibet border then there was 3 months gap between the initiation of movement and actual placement of division strength t-72 tanks. all with the help of Indian railways.
if arjun is in rajasthan it will continue to be in rajasthan for full was time.. it wont be possible to move it in case of urgency... while for others it is pretty easy... and just tell me what is easy and possible... a light tank scaling up rough and mountainous region or a big bulky and heavy tank....
arjun is good but localized and thats why i think no big big orders like that of t-72 and t-90...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
so kunal you think that you will be able to scale the himalayan heights with tatra, Indian rail and 16 c-17s....i beg to differ.... 2 front war... means quick movt of men material from one front to another in case need arises... if u had followed the news about moving t-72 to Indo-tibet border then there was 3 months gap between the initiation of movement and actual placement of division strength t-72 tanks. all with the help of Indian railways.

if arjun is in rajasthan it will continue to be in rajasthan for full was time.. it wont be possible to move it in case of urgency... while for others it is pretty easy... and just tell me what is easy and possible... a light tank scaling up rough and mountainous region or a big bulky and heavy tank....
arjun is good but localized and thats why i think no big big orders like that of t-72 and t-90...

1.Do you ever saw roads in Arunachal Pradesh ?

2.Do you ever witness an exercise where witness Transportation of tanks ?

1.Their are none good roads enough to take T-72M1 to the front on Arunachal, Tanks and BMPS are transported via IL-76 one by one, In Assam the procedure is same as we follow for others..

2.I spend 5 years in Pataila PUNJAB where i was introduce with T-90S and T-72M1 first handed and witness and learned their skill of transport ion and working first handed..

It procedure is same as T-72m1 when transporting via rail or TATRAs..

To counter PLA`s MGS and Airborne IFVs, IA keen to buy Light tanks that is Tracked and wheeled MGS..
T-72/90 comes in medium range..

Last edited:

agentperry

kunal i wont retract and wont reveal my sources,
as my statements are only after im sure and supported by my sources... though i respect your first hand experience but infra in NE is bad... t-72 is sub 50 ton beast... with in range of il-76... but not arjun... its 62 ton and it requires c-17 with 77 ton capacity. but again 16 c-17.... it will take days to tranfer a division of arjun....

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
its 62 ton and it requires c-17 with 77 ton capacity. but again 16 c-17.... it will take days to tranfer a division of arjun....
It takes the same time for T-72M1 with IL-76..

Not all IL-76 are involved in such operation but a part, same for those C-17s..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
It's funny how we have had generals retired from service and even court martialled for pretty crimes like irregularities in ration or small time land deals and we have members accusing generals of scams which would put kalmadi and raja to shame, simply because an inferior tank was rejected and hurt some pride.
well at least people accept that some Generals are corrupt, that is good starting point. :wave:

as far as inferior tank part is concern P2P you should see tank first in person then make judgment about it, you will know then (some one said, you wont know about truth about heaven unless you die first).

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Thats the reason, the army likes forign maals, to earn in dollars !!!
That is incorrect..

MOD uncles first buying the T-72BM which was updated with similar equipments as early T-90S, But army at-least demanded for T-90S, Thats why we see T-90S today, It wasnt problem at first to see India reaction to 300 T-80UDs, But later decided both in Armed forces and MOD that T-72M1 should be replaced by T-90S this is where things change, Unfortunatly Increasing costs of T-90S every year forced MOD to decide to licensed produce this tanks, The tot deals were really bad, The Armour tech we got is inferior and expensive hence decided to have Kanchan Armour in Home made T-90S, The gun tot was too difficult to get, But we got it and produced one, Now for this instant their are 600+ Imported T-90S are operation in IA, And few Home made are coming around with AC & APU..

Arjun mk1 should have been targeted for replacing T-72m1 but didnt happen coz Army was looking at T-90S as Main battle tank, The interest was lost back in 2002, Again things are forced to change when it preform well in test range in 2005, Than DRDO claim Arjun to be better than both tanks, DRDO have direct access to MOD where Army dont, The request to arrange a contest was finalized and Arjun Proved to good and today we DRDO got 500 orders mix of both..

Army is interested in MK2..

p2prada

as far as inferior tank part is concern P2P you should see tank first in person then make judgment about it, you will know then (some one said, you wont know about truth about heaven unless you die first).
I don't have access to tankies right now. Ask any Arjun tankie you want. Tell them the T-90 has a frontal armour of 840mm and that has been upgraded in the new T-90AM, all without the K-5 ERA. Also tell the said Arjun tankie that the T-90s shell can punch through 225mm of RHA from 60deg using the current gun and shell. Then let him think about it for a minute. You will have your answer after that.

There is a reason why the Arjun was rejected and it has nothing to do with your so called theory of corruption. Since you are a lawyer, you obviously know this accusation needs to be proved in court firstly. Plenty of Generals have been retired prematurely along with one General being court martialled only recently. If you look up the crimes they committed, they are extremely petty compared to the crimes our politicians openly commit every day. The decision of rejecting the Arjun wasn't a call made by just one or two men. It was the establishment which rejected the Arjun.

Even all the scams that have occurred till now have not placed Generals in the crossfire. Mainly politicians, arms dealers and middlemen have been accused. Even people who follow Bofors scandal know the Generals have a clean chit. It was the biggest military scandal till date.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
well at least people accept that some Generals are corrupt, that is good starting point. :wave:
Corruption is every where, In Army its discrete where in public its open..

T-90S took a very different turn, It can be speculated but still no one did any research, But who cares now Arjun is not only successful but getting good numbers of Order..

Arjun Success History Re-posted:

Desert Ferrari and More..
'Desert Ferrari' and more

Indian Army chief appreciates performance of 'Arjun'
Indian Army chief appreciates performance of 'Arjun'
Deccan Herald - Indian Army chief appreciates Arjun tank's performance

Indian army deploys first indigenous tanks along Pakistan border
gulfnews : Indian army deploys first indigenous tanks along Pakistan border

Trials up: Arjun tank outruns, outguns Russian T-90
Arjun tank outruns, outguns Russian T-90
Arjun tank outguns T-90 in desert trial - India News - IBNLive
Trials up: Arjun tank outruns, outguns Russian T-90 - 1 - *2010: Defence & Internal Security Special on MSN India
Arjun tank outguns Russian T-90 in desert trial | Taaza.com
Army to purchase more Arjun tanks (India)
The TND Armoured Fighting Vehicle Forum::General Banter ::India's Arjun tank outruns and outguns Russian T-90

FLASH! Indian Army Orders 124 More Arjun Tanks!
http://livefist.blogspot.com/2010/05...rjun-tanks.htm

Army set to place order for 248 more arjun main battle tanks

Army set to place order for 248 more arjun main battle tanks - The Economic Times

This Simply Shows Positive track Of Arjun recent Development..
Now we are Working on MK2 and I hope for better Results over its Weakness..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Small questions to those who know tanks, GSQR has to one for MBT, then how can IA use T90S and Arjun tank ???

surely both tanks cannot be comply with GSQR, CAG has missed something ???

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
@p2p if T90S is such a great tank and Arjun is such inferior tank, then how come DGMF never said a word after that trial. BTW why the hell T90S need to be replace with T90AM in first place if T90S is such a good tank. ??? i have asked the same question in T90 tank thread, but you did not answer it.

Tuco

Country flag
guys can anyone give me links regarding the development of NERA for arjun it will be helpful?

Damian

BTW why the hell T90S need to be replace with T90AM in first place if T90S is such a good tank. ???
I can same ask about Arjun. :)

T-90S is good tank, but as in any normal country that is designing weapon systems, Russians want better and better weapon systems, this is normal. Look at US, they also have great tanks and they still upgrade them to even better versions.

Now we are Working on MK2 and I hope for better Results over its Weakness..
Without complete redesign I doubt that all weaknesses problems will be solved.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I can same ask about Arjun. :)

T-90S is good tank, but as in any normal country that is designing weapon systems, Russians want better and better weapon systems, this is normal. Look at US, they also have great tanks and they still upgrade them to even better versions.

Without complete redesign I doubt that all weaknesses problems will be solved.
@Damian are you aware about GSQR ???

Damian

I am aware but I don't know the details, I will be thankfull for such details.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles