Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II

contra 101

found it on another forum, circles point to weak zones, particularly the fornt lahat sight cover is a thin one, no composite layers there?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
found it on another forum, circles point to weak zones, particularly the fornt lahat sight cover is a thin one, no composite layers there?
some fool has made those who has no idea about the it. Circles are all over, even on RCWS and the commanders sight.......
I had chat with the DRDO guys he said even in any other tanks their will be blind spots on the tank, for that just move tank gun or use the RCWS sight. It use the same things (thermal, day and night and laser range finder) infact if one is taken out he can use the other, therefore it can be used as backup system.

about weak sports on arjun tank, LAHAT fire control has more then what they are telling, CLGM fire control shows and hints at it. Plus most important point is that our DGMF who love Russian stuff would have make halla gulla about the weak spots on arjun, but they didnt goes on to show that, it is within the accepted standards of IA.

contra 101

some fool has made those who has no idea about the it. Circles are all over, even on RCWS and the commanders sight.......
I had chat with the DRDO guys he said even in any other tanks their will be blind spots on the tank, for that just move tank gun or use the RCWS sight. It use the same things (thermal, day and night and laser range finder) infact if one is taken out he can use the other, therefore it can be used as backup system.

about weak sports on arjun tank, LAHAT fire control has more then what they are telling, CLGM fire control shows and hints at it. Plus most important point is that our DGMF who love Russian stuff would have make halla gulla about the weak spots on arjun, but they didnt goes on to show that, it is within the accepted standards of IA.
i have certain observations of my own if i may (being from military background)

1. RWS station is blocking gunner's view, there is not enough space on roof to mount it elsewhere too

2. the GLATGM clover can be seen clearly, it is not composite

3. Dont agree with his rotating sight part though, think he made a mistake, the sight position looks fine to me

4. During training, we learned that the front turret/ hull armor must be of the most uniform nature as usually the enemy comes from the fornt, though clever ones exploit the LOs of 50+ deg too

5. I would never rate the Russian mbts less than any western mbt, they are very rugged and a powerful 125 mm cannons (yet to be exploited properly with improved longer apfsds shells) and a sober protection with world class composites and ERA parts, both Russian and Ukrainians stand in their own respective leagues :)

makmohan

Arjun Main Battle Tank Gears up for Final Leg of Trials | idrw.org

Defence scientists of Avadi-based Combat Vehicle Research Development Establishment (CVRDE) are all set to take the country's Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mk II for the concluding phases of user trials.
As per the schedule, the prototype of Arjun MBT Mk II will have to undergo five phases of user trials, out of which three have been completed at the Mahajan and Pokhran Field Firing Ranges.
CVRDE Director Dr P Sivakumar, told 'Express' on Thursday that in the fourth phase of trial, the tank would have to be tested for obstacle crossing and medium fording (water) capabilities.
"The concluding phases of the user trials will begin in May 2014. There are 89 improvements being undertaken on the Mk II tank, out of which 74 are related to tank-fittable ones and the remaining 15 are other improvements such as ammunition development," Sivakumar said.
CVRDE, a Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) Establishment, got on to mission mode to develop the upgraded version of Arjun MBT in 2010 and rolled out the first prototype within two years, for User trials. The Arjun Mk II is heavier by five tonnes when compared to Mk I, which is 62.5 tonnes.
"So far the prototype tank has covered over 5000 km as part of the DRDO and user trials. We have extensively conducted the validation of all the improvements prior to each phase of user trials," says Balamurugan V, Additional Director, Project Arjun, CVRDE.
It was during the recent Republic Day Parade that Arjun MBT Mk II was first exhibited to the general public.
The tank is also being exhibited at the DefExpo-2014 which began in Delhi on Thursday. Arjun MBT Mk I is already in service with the Indian Army. Banking on indicators, the DRDO is expecting additional orders for Arjun Mk II by early next year.
The DRDO said that Arjun MBT Mk II was substantially cheaper than contemporary tanks in its class to meet the battlefield challenges of the 21st century. However, Army sources say that a few of the improvements need to be further refined.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag

What I wanted to say was interpretations with those circles made in another forum was patently wrong ,

And I am sorry if it has hurt any one,

Since he RCWS and commanders sight are at the same horizontal line drawn across the width of the tank , the RCWS won't present a blind spot at the all crucial frontal arc of protection for Arjun.

And sure it will present a blind spot outside the arc , but the same is true if we place RCWS anywhere else,

Last edited:

Austin

Any idea what causes the weight for Arjun Mk2 to be 68 T , If Mk2 without mine plough is 62.5 T then does the mine plough weighs 5.5 T ?

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
Any idea what causes the weight for Arjun Mk2 to be 68 T , If Mk2 without mine plough is 62.5 T then does the mine plough weighs 5.5 T ?
I think combat weight of Arjun Mk-I is 62.5 tonnes and Arjun Mk-II is 67.5 tonnes (with mine plough)
Source: Arjun Main Battle Tank Gears up for Final Leg of Trials - The New Indian Express

CVRDE, a Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) Establishment, got on to mission mode to develop the upgraded version of Arjun MBT in 2010 and rolled out the first prototype within two years, for User trials. The Arjun Mk II is heavier by five tonnes when compared to Mk I, which is 62.5 tonnes.

Austin

Never seen we using Short Tons , its only Metric Tons.

Wonder if any one asked this question on the weight of Mk2 without Mine Plough ? Kunal or anybody who visited Defexpo ?

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
But the weight of arjun mk-1 with out mine plough is 58 metric tons,

CVRDE chief says that mk-2 weighs just over four tons mk-1 in his republic day special interview to dailly thanthi tamil Tv channel, mostly due to the weight of ERA panels and mine plough .

So without mine plough what is the weight of mk-2 in metric tons?

2 tons for ERA means it comes to 60.5 ton metric ton.

Then what makes up the extra 6 ton weight?

How much is the weight of containerized ammo bin and other new items?

what is the weight of the mine plough on arjun mk-2?

it will be interesting to know the break up of the extra 6 tons weight on mk-2.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
In MK2 they have actually reduce the weight. I have posted the pics from the first day.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
In MK2 they have actually reduce the weight. I have posted the pics from the first day.

here the skirt protection on Arjun

here MK1 has 4 inch of blast proof steel protection for skirt on same area.

so they must have saved 2-4 tons of weight.

Damian

They just replaced old ballistic skirts with ERA.

Dejawolf

Interesting, but isnt it larger as well? The main issue as I recall with the engine was its size versus more compact newer gen powerplants.
was trying to find the charts for the MB 838 that showed its torque curve, but they seem to have been taken off the internet..
anyways, i wrote down the peak torque of the MB-838 Ka-501 which is 5000nm@1500rpm MB-873 is 4700nm@1600rpm.
838 is 1 ton lighter than the 873, but 838 is wider by about 40cm.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I will be posting, Non watermark photos from my collection so that it can be edited by you guys..

===================>>

From Main Gun Sight to Gunner Periscope

Side Armour behind the tool box

pouch size
pouch size is exact 13.5cm

======================

Be civil in discussion, No flame-baits or trolling or you will shown the way out, Carry on ..

Thank you ..
@ersakthivel , @Dejawolf , @STGN , @sayareakd Sir ..

Last edited by a moderator:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag

Roughly 2.5 pouch size gap between the periscope and main sight,

So 2.5 x 135 mm=320 mm LOS,

Provided we accept periscope to be the end of composite armor, But I don't think the periscope signifies the end of composite armor.

If the left shoe is the end of the composite armor then it is 4.5 x 135 mm= close to 600 mm LOS(not RHA)

Last edited:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag

Sides also minimum 200 mm , even if we take those boxes to be storage boxes which does not contain any armor modules.

but the first two storage boxes are converted to armor even in mk-1 (if my assumption is right), So a decent 400 plus mm LOS for side armor is there.

No wonder many people thought that Arjun does not need any ERA protection , it has enough composite armor to take care of any threat.

Now I leave the floor for overseas experts to enlighten on these measurements ,

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles