Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II

shade

Country flag
is there any reason why HVF and HAL are based in the South.Aside from the fact that neither chinks nor pakis can reach there easily??
I know that chennai is filled with car manufacturing factories,but those are surely post 1990s liberalization while HVF is there easily from 70s or 80s

shade

Country flag
is there any reason why HVF and HAL are based in the South.Aside from the fact that neither chinks nor pakis can reach there easily??
I know that chennai is filled with car manufacturing factories,but those are surely post 1990s liberalization while HVF is there easily from 70s or 80s
bump? anyone know why?
Do they have lot of PhD engineers down south?

The Last Stand

Country flag

@Mad Indian

Translate any Tamils?
Arjun Mark II will enter service in the Army in two years, according to Dr Sivakumar of DRDO.

Interviewer: How much progress has been made in developing this new tank, "Arjun Mark II"

Sivakumar: 124 units of Mark I have been handed over to the end user, and in the period 2012-2014 almost all the trials of Mark I have been completed [by the army]. For Mark II, we are in the process of procuring the missiles [CLGM, probably since LAHAT was apparently dropped?] and these will be trialed this summer [April 2016].

Interviewer: Even with all the measures taken, people are dying due to avalanches at the Siachen outpost. What are the reasons for this?

Sivakumar: Honestly speaking, there's a different organization responsible for that, like CVRDE is responsible for making vehicles and we have a lab where it's their responsibility to research these avalanches. You will notice such incidents rarely since they have many monitoring stations that are on the job, detecting avalanches, and unfortunately once or twice they may fail to do so.

Interviewer: You were talking about how you [DRDO] are working together with engineering colleges to get students ready to take up jobs [in DRDO/similar labs]. How far have you progressed in this?

Sivakumar: We've been having sessions where students have been interacting with DRDO, college professors seeing our research labs and learning our requirements [for joining a DRDO lab]..We've been looking at student projects [advanced electronics or the like, I suppose] and creating interaction between DRDO and industry [OFB?] to help them.

Sooooo, basically no info on Arjun, again. Good job, media!

shade

Country flag
Arjun Mark II will enter service in the Army in two years, according to Dr Sivakumar of DRDO.

Interviewer: How much progress has been made in developing this new tank, "Arjun Mark II"

Sivakumar: 124 units of Mark I have been handed over to the end user, and in the period 2012-2014 almost all the trials of Mark I have been completed [by the army]. For Mark II, we are in the process of procuring the missiles [CLGM, probably since LAHAT was apparently dropped?] and these will be trialed this summer [April 2016].

Interviewer: Even with all the measures taken, people are dying due to avalanches at the Siachen outpost. What are the reasons for this?

Sivakumar: Honestly speaking, there's a different organization responsible for that, like CVRDE is responsible for making vehicles and we have a lab where it's their responsibility to research these avalanches. You will notice such incidents rarely since they have many monitoring stations that are on the job, detecting avalanches, and unfortunately once or twice they may fail to do so.

Interviewer: You were talking about how you [DRDO] are working together with engineering colleges to get students ready to take up jobs [in DRDO/similar labs]. How far have you progressed in this?

Sivakumar: We've been having sessions where students have been interacting with DRDO, college professors seeing our research labs and learning our requirements [for joining a DRDO lab]..We've been looking at student projects [advanced electronics or the like, I suppose] and creating interaction between DRDO and industry [OFB?] to help them.

Sooooo, basically no info on Arjun, again. Good job, media!
Ty for translation. :)

goddamn "journalists"

how the fck is DRDO related to avalanches happening in siachen?

oh and good luck trying to get students to join DRDO :lol:

The Last Stand

Country flag
Ty for translation. :)

goddamn "journalists"

how the fck is DRDO related to avalanches happening in siachen?

oh and good luck trying to get students to join DRDO :lol:
It was actually an event at Anna University, Chennai (No.2 Eng college in city after IIT-M) and sponsored by their own Mechanical Engineering division.

http://www.mypadacademia.com/icmdm2016

It's more of "I experienced XYZ as a mechanical engineer blah blah" lecture event by scientists. I guess you're right there.

Oh well, trying is better than doing nothing at all, at least.

shade

Country flag
It was actually an event at Anna University, Chennai (No.2 Eng college in city after IIT-M) and sponsored by their own Mechanical Engineering division.

http://www.mypadacademia.com/icmdm2016

It's more of "I experienced XYZ as a mechanical engineer blah blah" lecture event by scientists. I guess you're right there.

Oh well, trying is better than doing nothing at all, at least.
My point was that most students here are like
1) *4 year CS bachelors degree slog*--->try to get job in MNC--->try to sneak in Murica if said MNC sends you there as a temp.
2)*4 year CS bachelors degree slog*--->MS in some big shot american university--->job in silicon valley
3) *4 year CS bachelors degree slog*--> I IS DOING STARTUP IN BANGLORE!!!

The majority of the few who want to join DRDO seem to be of the mentality of "Sarkari naukri = All Pay and No work :fyeah: " these sort of people naturally dont suit the sort of people DRDO wants

garg_bharat

Country flag
I want to ask a dumb question. Why are DFI people so proud of Arjun when critical components like engine, transmission, and tracks are imported from Germany. Don't you think the tank is not sustainable.

Automobile technology is not a bleeding edge technology. There is a failure of DRDO/OFB big time here.

Chinmoy

Country flag
I want to ask a dumb question. Why are DFI people so proud of Arjun when critical components like engine, transmission, and tracks are imported from Germany. Don't you think the tank is not sustainable.

Automobile technology is not a bleeding edge technology. There is a failure of DRDO/OFB big time here.
Well you see, its not just failure of one particular organization. You could say that its a failure of the whole system. Here in India, weapon designing and manufacturing is driven by compulsion more then passion. In fact I would say that there is no passion at all in this field. @shade here truly mentioned about our mindset. But obviously what could you expect from someone for whom earning big buck is a compulsion from birth.
Second thing, which is more near relevant is the cost factor. As I did mentioned many times and others too in this forum, that R&D in this sector is totally NIL. Whatever cost is estimated or given into a project, only 5% max of it is used in R&D sector.
Third thing is the unwillingness of our pvt firms to have a tie up with defence orgs on these products. But they too are right in their own. Pvt companies do want profit from there investment. But where is the return in these ventures?
To sum all these points up, 50% of the onus for all these lacks does lie upon the bigshots of end user and other 50% does lie on the shoulder of our BABUS and MANTRIS. It is their lackadaisical approach which have turned our defence R&D and Manufacturing into something which you could compare with a paper shredder, instead of money mincing field.

garg_bharat

Country flag
The fact is forces only like to import. And PSUs only want to do license manufacturing.

It is a comfortable "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" arrangement.

Domestic projects are seen as risky not only by defence but also by producing agencies.

This vile arrangement has to be broken otherwise India will find itself in real hot waters one day.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Arjun is unaffordable, due to DRDO/OFB problems and inefficiency. This fact cannot be wished away.

AnantS

Country flag
bump? anyone know why?
Do they have lot of PhD engineers down south?
I'll take the bite
Relatively Industrialized, Near to major Ports- & politically & security wise relatively stable when compared to North. Hence most of the research orgs, univ started in south -- since the times of Brit rule.

Only after independence, csio, csir, and sis concerns of drdo(like tbrl) opened in north.

Chinmoy

Country flag
The fact is forces only like to import. And PSUs only want to do license manufacturing.

It is a comfortable "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" arrangement.

Domestic projects are seen as risky not only by defence but also by producing agencies.

This vile arrangement has to be broken otherwise India will find itself in real hot waters one day.
Thats the point. This mindset did came to us because it has been easy for us. Our priorities has never been in this field. All the major weapon manufacturers did blossomed technically and financially during the two world wars and in the cold war era. But we were a British colony during the world war and after that there had been no strong political will from our establishment and management to invest in weapon technology. Even Pt. Nehru had at a time said that, we are not going to attack anyone and no one would be attacking us. So we don't need a Army. You might have studied about panchsheel and all. Its only after 62 debacle and his heart attack, that serious consideration has been given to defence. Then too you had USSR to jump into your help. Again you got what you need without scratching your grey cells.

So since then it had remained with us. But have a look at other sectors where we invested from day 1. You could clearly see the difference. Thing is, along with technical expertise and will, you do need a strong political will to support you.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles