AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (HAL)

Rehan's_Ninjato

Atleast the work is in progress. Good to hear.

I am however hopeful about AMCA. I think finally DRDO has pulled up its socks. It would be prudent if they tie up with Israelis and keep in touch with the Japs. Ultimately it would be the cooperation of the user which would make the maximum difference. IAF and IN needs to put faith in indigenous capabilities. Most of the snags in Tejas and Arjun occurred more due to lack of seriousness from the part of users rather than incompetence of the developers.

By the way, is there any clash in the AMCA and FGFA program in terms of user requirements? How different does the IAF expect AMCA to be from FGFA? I guess both are medium weight swing role fighters..FGFA or PMF is said to be only of 17.5 tons as Prasun Singupta claimed. And that's why, he thinks, AMCA has lesser prospect..

sandeepdg

I will only consider this news of some value whatsoever, when I see a prototype flying ! Till then no tall claims, please.

agentperry

i think we shold go by IAF statment that they will be fielding tejas mk1 and mk2 by 2020 at any cost. what will be heartening is that its capability may not be upto the mark but still there will be 140 tejas( as per iaf) flying in india

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Atleast the work is in progress. Good to hear.

I am however hopeful about AMCA. I think finally DRDO has pulled up its socks. It would be prudent if they tie up with Israelis and keep in touch with the Japs.
Israelis might be a good option but Japanese cannot help us much because of their ARTICLE 9. According to the article, they can only do what USA dictates them. And honestly, I don't think that Japanese trust us; why? Look at the recent meeting that turned to be a nuclear disappointment for India while Japanese cleared the bills for nuke trade with other countries.

Japan is still not independent enough to stand its ground. It is still a US puppet by large extent.

Ultimately it would be the cooperation of the user which would make the maximum difference. IAF and IN needs to put faith in indigenous capabilities.Most of the snags in Tejas and Arjun occurred more due to lack of seriousness from the part of users rather than incompetence of the developers.
IN has most faith in domestic defense goods. IAF was fed up of years of delay, cost over-runs, late deliveries, obsolete tech and failed projects. So it didn't have any faith in ADA. However ADA delivered it this time so gradually IAF took some interest.

Army is the WORST in all the three. They are so adamant on getting their coffers of commission filled that they outrightly rejected Arjun even though Arjun performed and squashed T-90. Only when the DRDO challenged IA, they gave up their obsession of foreign maal. A rule must come where IA cannot buy 100% foreign made stuff outrightly without having capable indigenous systems that are checked by serving-officers of Army from respective divisions randomly without having any prior contact to the top brass.

Only such a rule would stop this nonsense.

plugwater

India to go slow on AMCA ??

As per sources close to idrw.org , have told us that ADA and MOD along with IAF are seriously considering give more development time for AMCA India's First 5th generation fighter aircraft project . Sources working for the aeronautical agencies have told idrw.org that ADA had earlier planned for AMCA first flight by late 2018, but the first flight may see some delays by a year or two, due to various reasons.

Key technologies related to the Avionics for the AMCA are still in preliminary design stage, and other development of Key avionics for a 5th Generation fighter is yet to start, sources have not provided more information on the avionics which they were referring too. But defence expert Vinayak shetty (Admin of www.lca-tejas.org) informed idrw.org that, Aesa Radar for Tejas MK-2 has been pushed back for AMCA to avoid delays in development of Tejas MK-2 which already has seen considerable amount of delays and have stuck with same Indo-Israeli developed MMR Radar, current AESA radar in development will also get some further improvement worthy for a 5th generation fighter and other Tejas (MK-1 and MK-2) will get similar AESA Radar when MLU (Mid life upgrade) for this aircrafts are due.

On Engine front it is clear that Kaveri-2, which will be developed with technical joint venture with French engine major Snecma and GTRE, but the deal, is yet to take off and since Tejas program has been delinked from the Kaveri engine program, the whole process of developing a Kaveri-2 with Snecma M-88-3 core was put in backburner until IAF and MOD cleared proposal for development of AMCA . GTRE is evaluating and working with ADA to make changes to the original proposal of Kaveri-2 to enable it develop a engine for a next generation fighter like AMCA , negotiation are on with French Snecma to develop a Kaveri-2 for a fifth generation fighter aircraft and the contract for the same should be signed in next one year and another variant of the same engine will power Tejas MK-2 replacing its current American Ge Engines when the aircrafts are due for MLU .

GTRE is also determined to fully carry out development work on its current Kaveri engine , which also includes integration of Kaveri engine with Tejas MK-1 platform which should take place by mid o f 2012 with an earlier prototype Tejas aircraft .

India to go slow on AMCA ?? | idrw.org

Neil

Country flag
India to go slow on AMCA ??

As per sources close to idrw.org , have told us that ADA and MOD along with IAF are seriously considering give more development time for AMCA India's First 5th generation fighter aircraft project . Sources working for the aeronautical agencies have told idrw.org that ADA had earlier planned for AMCA first flight by late 2018, but the first flight may see some delays by a year or two, due to various reasons.

Key technologies related to the Avionics for the AMCA are still in preliminary design stage, and other development of key avionics for a 5th Generation fighter is yet to start, sources have not provided more information on the avionics which they were referring too. But defence expert Vinayak shetty (Admin of www.lca-tejas.org) informed idrw.org that, Aesa Radar for Tejas MK-2 has been pushed back for AMCA to avoid delays in development of Tejas MK-2 which already has seen considerable amount of delays and have stuck with same Indo-Israeli developed MMR Radar, current AESA radar in development will also get some further improvement worthy for a 5th generation fighter and other Tejas (MK-1 and MK-2) will get similar AESA Radar when MLU (Mid life upgrade) for this aircrafts are due.

On Engine front it is clear that Kaveri-2, which will be developed with technical joint venture with French engine major Snecma and GTRE, but the deal, is yet to take off and since Tejas program has been delinked from the Kaveri engine program, the whole process of developing a Kaveri-2 with Snecma M-88-3 core was put in backburner until IAF and MOD cleared proposal for development of AMCA . GTRE is evaluating and working with ADA to make changes to the original proposal of Kaveri-2 to enable it develop a engine for a next generation fighter like AMCA , negotiation are on with French Snecma to develop a Kaveri-2 for a fifth generation fighter aircraft and the contract for the same should be signed in next one year and another variant of the same engine will power Tejas MK-2 replacing its current American Ge Engines when the aircrafts are due for MLU .

GTRE is also determined to fully carry out development work on its current Kaveri engine , which also includes integration of Kaveri engine with Tejas MK-1 platform which should take place by mid o f 2012 with an earlier prototype Tejas aircraft .

India to go slow on AMCA ?? | idrw.org

agentperry

this is the way drdo starts projects- instead of cocnut breaking ceremony they announces possible delay. they tell people at the first place that this thing is not possible for us to do so dont expect much better rope in foreign players.

when a student of a small college of delhi BVPIT can complete defence project for govt of israel( IT BASED PROJECT) then its shame for drdo to go slow on projects of national importance.

IIT-d and students from many colleges are developing MCS for govt of afghanistan 780 crore rupees project which psu even refused to work upon. this project is in final stages.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Organization and Personnel heading AMCA development. Seems like the ASQR has reached the ADA.

AP&T

agentperry

i say to my chef make something good and futuristic. he will leave the job. what do you mean by good. how do you define good. what comes under being good.

Develop advanced technologies in the areas of Avionics, Stealth, EW, Sensors, Information technology, Virtual reality, etc., to meet the requirements of future generation aircraft programme.
Conceptualization and demonstration of advanced Avionics functions and IMA based Avionics Architecture to meet the requirements of the mission and vehicle management of future fight aircraft.
Develop advanced EW systems and EO Sensors for future aircraft.
Develop capabilities and facilities in the area of Stealth for Air vehicles.
Carry out design and resting activities to realize EMC and lightning worthiness of aircraft.
Enterprise wide Deployment and administration of IT solutions in the area of - HPC, PLM (Servers and Clients), CAD/CAM/CAE/VR (workstations and tools), Internet/ Email services, ADANET, Storage management, Data center operations management and Information security. Develop Enterprise applications.
Develop and provide necessary VR environment to the customer for use in production, assembly, Avionics, Structure, Aerodynamics, Stealth, etc.

what do you mean by the futuristic technology in EW and EO. its a vague term. IAF always do this. set some vague requirement and then the drdo works on it, comes out with something good and IAF says-" mmmmm acha toh hai lekin maza nahi aya!!! kuch aur hai- futuristic sa!!!" give me and nation a break. i have done some research project in past years and the thing that screws the researcher is to imagine what might the person/ object setter wants or mean to say.

they should come out clear with the least acceptable requirement. they are so damn elaborative when it comes to testing parameter cant they work and shake their asses a little more to put up specs in a better pattern.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
^^^ Agreed to 100%. As a matter of fact, in order to justify its self proclaimed status 'one of the advanced air force', IAF needs to set up a "research and analysis" facility manned by true professions which can predict clear requirements and carry out feasibility studies and above all, do all types of conceptualization at all stages on its own. If that is sounding like asking too much, do recall that in addition to all these, our Naval design bureau is not only partially designing her ships but in past have also handed over complete designs of ships in the class of Aircraft carriers and destroyers.

pashya001

What happen with AMCA?

There is no news of AMCAVfrom last one year..;the project is on sheduled or we canceled it?

SPIEZ

Country flag
It's been temporarily shelved. After it's revived it will be another project like Lca and will most probably run into the next 4 decades. If the project starts in 2020, IAF MIGHT get in 2060.

Defcon 1

Country flag
As far as I know HAL, recently completed its feasibility study which took 18 months....

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
ASQR has reached ADA. They've started working on it & have initiated composite material testing. Official fund allocation by identifying budget is in last lap. Feasibility study will be undertaken till early next year.

They'll keep working on it according to co-operation provided by user, nodal bureaucracy and are also looking for geniuses who can actually complete project overnight apart from talking so.

Refer this thread for more info - http://defenceforumindia.com/defence-industry/36-amca-ngfa.html

Galaxy

Country flag
It will be operational when 6th Generation unmanned fighter jets will come in picture around 2030-2040. I don't except AMCA before 2030.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Spiez take a look at nrj's post and compare it to yours. You're was nothing but empty rhetoric whereas nrj's was a quality post. I hope to see you post quality stuff in future. I am sure you are learning.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Spiez take a look at nrj's post and compare it to yours. You're was nothing but empty rhetoric whereas nrj's was a quality post. I hope to see you post quality stuff in future. I am sure you are learning.
I m rather venting out my frustration that my tax money is going to utter waste. IMO my better posts are in a variety of other threads too.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Well the general rhetoric these days on many topics is really boring and quite frankly dragging the forum quality down.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles