AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (HAL)

MonaLazy

@Rajaraja Chola gangadhar hi shaktiman hai! 125KN in Western conditions is 110KN after burning in Indian conditions- we are talking about the same engine hence all chatter about increasing payload/AUW because of perceived power bump is fruitless. So that margin of 10-15% growth has to be on top of this 125KN & we may end up with 90/140KN (80/125KN in Indian conditions) finally when the Mk2 iteration of this engine is out in the late 2030s!

Last edited:

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
View attachment 141508

At around 14:07 timestamp, Dr. Geodhare mentions these two aircrafts as stealth and non-stealth mode of AMCA.
But top one features DSI intakes, whereas bottom one features conventional intakes with splitter plates.
Dont think both will be different. I think the "non stealth" version will be as a stopgap till we develop weapons to fit inside AMCA, like F35 used external hardpoints for some type of weapons till the weapons were modified to work properly in weapons bay.

Trololo

Country flag
Dont think both will be different. I think the "non stealth" version will be as a stopgap till we develop weapons to fit inside AMCA, like F35 used external hardpoints for some type of weapons till the weapons were modified to work properly in weapons bay.
Correct. All munitions that are taken internally will come with folding fins for sure. I think in future that might be the standard way how indian weapons are manufactured. If someone wants to carry externally they should just manually unfold the fins and lock them in place before mounting on the aircraft.

MonaLazy

But top one features DSI intakes, whereas bottom one features conventional intakes with splitter plates.
The splitter plates was an iteration of the design prior to DSI being introduced on AMCA. So this is just a case of being lazy- using the old graphic. The non stealth mode is just the so called beast mode where weapons are carried externally. Why the fancy name? Otherwise how would you justify billions of dollars pursuing stealth and then destroying it yourself because of mission requirements.

Vamsi

Country flag
View attachment 141508

At around 14:07 timestamp, Dr. Geodhare mentions these two aircrafts as stealth and non-stealth mode of AMCA.
deyy, there won't be a separate Non-stealth AMCA like non stealth KF-21....what Dr.Geodhare meant is mission modes...Just like how F-35 has both Stealth mode and Non-stealth "Beast" mode. As far as the bottom one is considered,it's old iteration of AMCA

Vamsi

Country flag
Correct. All munitions that are taken internally will come with folding fins for sure. I think in future that might be the standard way how indian weapons are manufactured. If someone wants to carry externally they should just manually unfold the fins and lock them in place before mounting on the aircraft.
VL-SRSAM already has folding fins, so it won't be difficult to do same for Astra-Mk1 & Mk-2.....With folding fins AMCA may be able to carry 6 Astra-Mk2 internally..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles