AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (HAL)

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
When I think of Indian Aerospace Industry of the future I look for forward to the prospect of export rather than just filling our numbers.
Why stop midway when U can go further.
We should look to become the next Aeropace Juggernaut in the coming years.

As for the Chinese no game u must look at their inventory, they have over 300 Mig 21 variants and the rest of their Middle weight category is filled with J 10s.
They have some 500 odd heavy fighter jet out of which only 100 can be considered technologically above us.
Nothing outstanding currently.

Willy3

Country flag
I personally believe that 42 squadron is enough for both China and Pakistan right now.
The area which needs china centric investment is navy.
10 destroyers are low thinking of share size of Indian Ocean so do 2 aircraft carrier, but thinking about our budget limitations we can dump these 2 sectors for now and can concentrate in building up proper submarine force and then when we willpasses 5 trillion landmark we can work on extending surface fleet.

Don't forget Chinese have too many enemies to concentrate its full power against us.

We right now aren't planning to play role of invader right now , so focus should be "can we take Chinese out in our backyard ?"

Spooked by superior enemies number and involved in a arms race will make us a "doosra pakistan"... which we aren't.

WolfPack86

Country flag
INS Vikrant में Use होगा 5th Gen Fighter | AMCA Project को जल्द मिलेगा Rs 15,000 Crore

scatterStorm

Country flag
Dude, there were 2500 Allied aircraft (fixed wing) in the Kuwaiti Theater of Ops during Operation Desert Storm in 1991. LAC is quite a bit larger than that. And technology has improved. These planes won't start running out of airspace that easily, our Air Force has a lot of room for expansion that way. I am not sure how many of our planes were actually used for CAS earlier. The number couldn't have been too high given the lack of cross service integration.

And don't give the usual excuses for "we got enough SAMs now, we didn't have them earlier" 'cause neither did the enemy. Wingman will also be used by the enemy. We will not be fighting Pakistan this time, it will be China: A country that is trying to beat the USA. Stop looking at what China is now, start aiming to be where China will be in the future.

Even if what you said was true, we would still need more jets than just 42 squadrons given the attrition rate. China will be able to roll-in replacements from other theaters. We don't have other theaters, China is our main theater. We can't open a factory WW2 style to make replacements because modern aircraft can't be produced at rates to keep up with attrition during modern warfare. Have you seen how USA keeps Propositioned Stocks of armoured vehicles and has an aircraft boneyard? They have more hardware than they have men to man them. Men can be trained, if needed, during wartime. Its also possible to maintain a large reserve force that is heavily armed. That is how Superpowers prepare for World Wars. Indian and Chinese military budgets have not allowed us to go that route yet. But that won't be the case in the future. High time we start planning for a much larger Air Force.
I agree, 2030 is the decade when the plan of the Chinese will be set in motion. We've seen the trailer in 2020. "All borders needs to be consolidated by 2025" is there plan. Although they didn't got anything much but they saw our preparedness. That's what they do, they do a test run, and then they prepare. I think there plan for Myanmar is also set in motion. To counter them in terms of sheer economy is currently not possible for India. The only way we can match is to have enough deterrence that the cost of waging a war will be brutal to them.

As far as squadrons goes, and the way IAF is fastracking the AMCA project, its understandable that by 2030 most developed nations who have military aircraft building capability will go for mainstream stealth. Chinese FC31 is already doing testing. They may arm PAF with these to counter our AMCA.

Recent Intelligence report suggest Turkey is also backing Hawala via Nepal. Protecting the nation is not an option, its now a necessity.

scatterStorm

Country flag
I disagree that 1991 war is too old to draw lessons. Heck we till recently didn't have all the capabilities that USAF of 1991 had. Many of the capabilities we have only acquired recently in sufficient quantities.

I agree that I am no competent authority on affixing Air Force squadron numbers. The information required is barely available to me. But if a back of the envelope calculations tell me that the only limiting factor for heavy Chinese jet deployment on LAC will be the number of Chinese airfields in this theater and the number of available aerial refueling assets, then this combined with the fact that PLAAF is building an Air Force as large (or larger) than the Americans makes me feel that our current parity in number of fighters won't last past one more decade. Yes our airfields are closer to the LAC and at much lower altitudes allowing our jets to take off with higher payload and fuel enabling a longer on station time than PLAAF jets, but this geogprahical advantage might not be sufficient to deter a Chinese numerical superiority that may arise in the coming decades.

I have no idea why you think USA will end up with 2500 crashed F-16 and F-15 but the IAF will not end up with 500 crashed Su-30 MKI and Tejas when flying over the Himalayas. What is the difference here? Having more jets will lead to crashes? How?
Nagari Gunsa and Hotan has recently seen more Earthwork.

Source:

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
When I think of Indian Aerospace Industry of the future I look for forward to the prospect of export rather than just filling our numbers.
Why stop midway when U can go further.
We should look to become the next Aeropace Juggernaut in the coming years.

As for the Chinese no game u must look at their inventory, they have over 300 Mig 21 variants and the rest of their Middle weight category is filled with J 10s.
They have some 500 odd heavy fighter jet out of which only 100 can be considered technologically above us.
Nothing outstanding currently.
Its their pace of manufacturing modern aircraft that is scary. Most of their old types they will replace by next decade.

I agree, 2030 is the decade when the plan of the Chinese will be set in motion. We've seen the trailer in 2020. "All borders needs to be consolidated by 2025" is there plan. Although they didn't got anything much but they saw our preparedness. That's what they do, they do a test run, and then they prepare. I think there plan for Myanmar is also set in motion. To counter them in terms of sheer economy is currently not possible for India. The only way we can match is to have enough deterrence that the cost of waging a war will be brutal to them.

As far as squadrons goes, and the way IAF is fastracking the AMCA project, its understandable that by 2030 most developed nations who have military aircraft building capability will go for mainstream stealth. Chinese FC31 is already doing testing. They may arm PAF with these to counter our AMCA.

Recent Intelligence report suggest Turkey is also backing Hawala via Nepal. Protecting the nation is not an option, its now a necessity.
One thing I am happy about is that our Defence Industry had a lift off well in time for us to prepare for tomorrow's China with our own weapons. While we are currently behind China in terms of military industrial complex, we are now on a trajectory that could allow us to compete head on with them within one or two decades. Till then, lets hope that our experience and geographical advantage vis-a-vis China manages to maintain an edge, 'cause the day China perceives we've lost that edge is the day they'll attack. You're right, 2020 was just a trailer, they are testing us and preparing accordingly.

View attachment 82101
AMCA and f35 from front
F-35 has Ugly underarms.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
I did not provide any excuse. Merely the method by which number are scientifically established .

1991 war is too old to draw lesson of future warfare.

One might agree that we need more jets but how many is not a matter of speculation of a fixed factions of enemy strength but a question of our needs ,how we define a theatre and how money assets including all components ( jets , drones, sams ) are required.

Our chinese border presents enormous challenges even for most sophisticated jets. The so called f16 and f18 can't even fly at full strength over Himalayas. If usa repeated gulf war tactic over Himalayan frontier all it will have is 2500 crashed jets.
Who says all aircraft we will acquire will fly in Indian Airspace? What are international military bases for then?

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
10,000 fighters
Bhai Kaun si sasti charas mari
Hai
Nevertheless

With large assets there is need of large operations cost and infrastructure cost involved

4 th gets Jets are not cheap commodity it will not churn out from 3D printers except for some spare parts 😒

As the number increases so will be its LCC cost
The infrastructure cost the pilot training cost the logistical cost of per aircrafts

Then there is other wings of the armed forces

Also PLAAF Relying on Russians or Chinese engines will
Make cost double.which require 3 to 4 engines per aircrafts after every overhaul in 5 years

Even with 1 trillion $ budget Chinese at best will not have 3-4 thousand fighters

Let assume If they manufacture 400 j-20 in next 20 years
The Operation cost and LCC will be not less than 200-250 million $ per aircraft
10,000 fighters? When did I say that? I said they will push for 10,000 Aircraft by 2040 and I’m talking about a 10,000 aircraft sized Airforce.

Lost user

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
What we should also focus on are dedicated electronic warfare aircraft fleets like EA-18G Growlers and intelligence platforms, 5 ISTARs aren’t enough, 10-15 are atleast required. Are AEW&CS fleet is too small, our Transportation capabilities need to be upgraded and improved also.

SARTHAK

Country flag
What we should also focus on are dedicated electronic warfare aircraft fleets like EA-18G Growlers and intelligence platforms, 5 ISTARs aren’t enough, 10-15 are atleast required. Are AEW&CS fleet is too small, our Transportation capabilities need to be upgraded and improved also.
su 30mki with sap 518 + sap 514 are almost equal to ea18g --- harsh vardhan thakur sir on twitter

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
su 30mki with sap 518 + sap 514 are almost equal to ea18g --- harsh vardhan thakur sir on twitter
We need dedicated fighters for Electronic Warfare, this concept of using a single platform for each and everything is not good.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
why is not good aren't ea18g derived from fa18,can't su 30mki carry similar jamming pods and become a ew aircraft
A new aircraft off the shelf should be purchased for dedicated Electronic Warfare like a few squadrons of Tejas MK2.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles