Ajit Doval

Covfefe

Country flag
He said that wars have ceased to be an effective policy to carry out national objectives because they are very expensive and unaffordable(which is true, Russia has been royally screwed after annexing a small Kremlin where there was no military opposition). Why would the media publish it this way is beyond understanding

Covfefe

Country flag
Could u please explain a little more on what u meant by that?
What Mr Doval said was the acknowledgement of the fact that the conflict scenario has changed a lot. Full blown wars, which used to be a tool for attaining national objectives, are no more viewed as a feasible option because of the costs involved. He was pointing to the changing dimensions of warfare. What media has portryaed is that wars are simply too unaffordable and that he is advocating for peace at any cost even with bent knees.

Jimih

Country flag
What Mr Doval said was the acknowledgement of the fact that the conflict scenario has changed a lot. Full blown wars, which used to be a tool for attaining national objectives, are no more viewed as a feasible option because of the costs involved. He was pointing to the changing dimensions of warfare. What media has portryaed is that wars are simply too unaffordable and that he is advocating for peace at any cost even with bent knees.
Have you noticed lately, that stakeholders of Indian NatSec are all talking in a different and incoherent manner.

First CDS than MEA and now NSA.

I understand in what context AD has made the statement, but it is clear that our branches of establishment are still working in "Silos Mode", it has not changed yet.

In a times of war, all branches of GoI should work in synergy and not like each and everyone taking a different tangential route. This can be totally a cause for our defeat.

Op Kahuta

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
It’s a juke before the military action. The courts, the disorganization is all a facade to conduct military ops.
It's pretty clear that we are marching towards war with batsoup eaters so I don't think all these statements are jukes to go for military ops is it not? Having said I don't disagree with what AD said regarding the context it was said in. We will for sure fight a war if the enemy starts it is what I think he actually meant.

Dessert Storm

Country flag
Could u please explain a little more on what u meant by that?
My feelings on the question.
1. Hardly any research based journalism in mainstream media.
2. Even if research is done, the agenda to be peddled is set first and then the research done to suit that agenda.
3. Given, 1 & 2 how can something be understood or comprehended and therefore reported/presented (neutral), if the intent is not there.
* I used to like Security Scan program every Friday on RSTV. Has been discontinued now.
** Mainstream media is now more into analysis n POV, rather than raw reporting. Anybody who has even a reasonable insight into the topics they discuss would pity them.

Op Kahuta

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Have you noticed lately, that stakeholders of Indian NatSec are all talking in a different and incoherent manner.

I understand in what context AD has made the statement, but it is clear that our branches of establishment are still working in "Silos Mode", it has not changed yet.

In a times of war, all branches of GoI should work in synergy and not like each and everyone should take a different tangential route. This can be totally a cause for our defeat.
Yeah it's actually really confusing to hear all these semi passive and semi aggressive statements from natsec and diplomats. It's like they are doing it purposely to maybe confuse the chenes(and possibly us) when they will go for a surprise offensive. Or maybe it's like u said they all lack synergy but then the pm didnt roped them all in after cds made his statement. So it seems to me that this coming from his orders.

Last edited:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

In a times of war, all branches of GoI should work in synergy and not like each and everyone taking a different tangential route. This can be totally a cause for our defeat.
I would rather read these statements as nuances rather than incoherence. when there is kilometres of difference between actual boundary on the map and area being controlled this is bound to happen.

more importantly more often than not, we are reading responses to questions, unless we read questions and answers at the same time we may miss the context in which a statement is made. but then again journalists do help in fine tuning of statements over a period of time.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
I would rather read these statements as nuances rather than incoherence. when there is kilometres of difference between actual boundary on the map and area being controlled this is bound to happen.

more importantly more often than not, we are reading responses to questions, unless we read questions and answers at the same time we may miss the context in which a statement is made. but then again journalists do help in fine tuning of statements over a period of time.

You are too generous.
I would throw the doubters back at the frontiers to first understand the military posturing before cribbing about political statements.

Covfefe

Country flag

I think we are trying to read something which does not exist-

1) MEA has always been the "good boy" arm of the GoI, as it should be given its diplomatic nature. They have stayed pretty consistent in avoiding any acidic comments towards China, making sure that most of the senior leadership, both political and bureaucratic, avoid any mention of names. Desirable or not, that's how they have been all along. Never seen any bombastic statement coming out of MEA even when Paki PM has name-called Indian PM and his political organizational inclinations. No active hostility towards China in any of their statements and Jaishankar's repeated clamour of Quad being a non-military alliance comes with only little surprise with this background.

2) CDS is a military diplomat, other than his/her role as the advisor to GoI on defence issues. And military diplomacy, if you look at other countries' trends has been obviously different from civilian diplomacy(MEA in our case)- they show the required "teeth" of the state and the willingness to use it. For example- US Military Chief will give statements on having the needed capability to carry out over the horizon strikes in Afghanistan should there be a "terror threat", while the Congressional report will call out for engagement with Taliban. They play a balancing act. BiRa's statement on "Galwan like incident" being returned in "kind" is the GoI making its intent clear that military action against the Chinese will not be off the table.

3)AD's statement, I don't know if you have seen the full speech- it was for IPS probationers' passing out parade, was through and through nationalist and didn't have any element of pacificism in it. Media quoted a part of his speech in an attempt to give a spin-off. From what we know from the past as well, Doval will be among the last people to give gyan on peace and non-violence.

Op Kahuta

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
This Dhanoa is another retired scoundrel that must be avoided for any thing serious.
Whole breed like him can be recognised by their prompt reaction on headlines.
I seriously don't understand what's the deal with these retired officers. Like I have seen them bash their own army for some ridiculously false reasons. In military, soldiers are always taught to respect and love their fellow soldiers like own brothers but him and others like him seem to don't care abt the ethos of Indian armed forces.

Optimistic Nihilist

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Read it in totality. He is saying that since wars have become too expensive in terms of lives and resources, enemy nations now aim for subtler approaches like subversion and internal sabotage to weaken the country and so the role of the civil servants in stopping that is equally important.

If he made it in isolation, saying wars are bad, then there would be a definite ground for blasting him. But that's not the case.

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag
I seriously don't understand what's the deal with these retired officers. Like I have seen them bash their own army for some ridiculously false reasons. In military, soldiers are always taught to respect and love their fellow soldiers like own brothers but him and others like him seem to don't care abt the ethos of Indian armed forces.
Don't u feel since they are in the army (or have been) they know about the realities (including the ones which shouldn't be in public)?

The Shrike

Country flag
He said that wars have ceased to be an effective policy to carry out national objectives because they are very expensive and unaffordable(which is true, Russia has been royally screwed after annexing a small Kremlin where there was no military opposition). Why would the media publish it this way is beyond understanding
But then Azerbaijan successfully prosecuted a war on Armenia to get back their claimed territory, and came out of it pretty unscathed no?
Added later: For every example you can usually find a counter example for arguments sake, especially for these types for claims.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles