Agni V Missile

pmaitra

What is the confusion? the re entry speed is an indicator that it is and ICBM. Dunno why you are confused :D

Well officially yes, Mach 25+ was the re entry speed as mentioned in different reports, that is normally for ICBM's.
Well, I am confused whether you agree with these statements or not (quoted below). :)

First sentence of the article:
Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles (ICBMs) have ranges of greater than 5,500 km.
Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles

Another one:
ICBM, in full intercontinental ballistic missile, Land-based, nuclear-armed ballistic missile with a range of more than 3,500 miles (5,600 km).
ICBM (missile) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

I hope after this people will stop calling the Agni-5 an ICBM.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Forget the range ! ICBMs were designed to cross the Atlantic ocean to hit the US from Europe , and the term ICBM was defined accordingly keeping the Atlantic ocean in mind. For India or any other country it's different, from Indian perspective if it can hit Australia or Africa from Indian land it's an ICBM. :D

pmaitra

Sir, you are capping your 5k + to less then 5500 and saying it is not an ICBM :D
No Sir, if you read, I have always maintained all these claims about Agni-5 being an 'ICBM' are (1) speculation and (2) theoretical. You can go back and check my earlier posts.

Agni-5 went as far as 5000 km (BBC News,BroadSword), therefore, it is not an ICBM. I have provided the definition of ICBM as well, from reputed sources. I rest my case. :namaste:

More information:
Although the DRDO calls the Agni-5 an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), its range of 5000 kilometres puts it --- by most conventional measures --- in the class of intermediate range ballistic missiles (IRBMs), which have ranges of 3,000-5,500 kilometres. The Agni-5's range is carefully calibrated; it can reach targets anywhere except for America and Australia. This would allow it to strike all India's potential adversaries, even as friendly capitals in Western Europe and the US stay out of range. DRDO sources say that, in case of need, the Agni-5 could easily be ramped up into an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), with a range of more than 5500 kilometres.
http://ajaishukla.blogspot.in/2012/04/perfect-launch-for-5000-km-range-agni-5.html

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
No Sir, if you read, I have always maintained all these claims about Agni-5 being an 'ICBM' are (1) speculation and (2) theoretical. You can go back and check my earlier posts.

Agni-5 went as far as 5000 km (BBC News,BroadSword), therefore, it is not an ICBM. I have provided the definition of ICBM as well, from reputed sources. I rest my case. :namaste:

More information:

Broadsword: Perfect launch for the 5000-km range Agni-5 missile
You sure that the touch down point is 5k km sir? Sorry I hadn't check ed the map, but southernmost tip of Australia looks like more then 5k km+ :D

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
India needs to cooperate with other powers in baiting China into a costly arms race. This will spread the cost of the race on the alliance side while China will shoulder it alone.

pmaitra

You sure that the touch down point is 5k km sir? Sorry I hadn't check ed the map, but southernmost tip of Australia looks like more then 5k km+ :D
I am sure it is 5000 km, because, BBC and Broadsword (and many others), are saying it is 5000 km. :)

C'mon sirji, why get into this salamander measuring contest and unnecessary chest thumping? It is in our interest to acknowledge the truth. Agni-5 is not an ICBM, and it should be clear beyond doubt now, after I have provided so many citations.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag

More information:

Broadsword: Perfect launch for the 5000-km range Agni-5 missile
I think the range issue is kept as a secret just so we dont step on NATOs feet. All conventional wisdom says that the Rocket has a range of at least 7,000Km and if the Chinese are right it has an range of 8,000km.

Officially it is not an ICBM but an ICBM capable IRBM. I guess that is a right way to put it.

Adux

Country flag
Gentlemen,

Agni 5 is 5500 KMS in range, therefore it is an ICBM, anything less is not.

ICBM is different to MRBM in its flight charactersitics

It achieves more than Mach 25+ to slingshot earth's gravitational pull, achieving speeds of 7km/second and an alittude of more than 1200 Kilometers.

So Yes, what ever the prefect, may say AGNI 5 is an ICBM.

Adux

Country flag
India needs to cooperate with other powers in baiting China into a costly arms race. This will spread the cost of the race on the alliance side while China will shoulder it alone.
Intelligent Strategy, something America did to the T against the Soviet Union, China and NATO and USA. Soviet Union crumbled under that immense pressure.

Adux

Country flag
Last edited:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
I am sure it is 5000 km, because, BBC and Broadsword (and many others), are saying it is 5000 km. :)

C'mon sirji, why get into this salamander measuring contest and unnecessary chest thumping? It is in our interest to acknowledge the truth. Agni-5 is not an ICBM, and it should be clear beyond doubt now, after I have provided so many citations.
NO, sir you haven't provided the citations, you are just putting your interpretations as final word and conveniently ignored any other thing others are saying.

You simply refuse to acknowledge re entry speed as parameter at all, others have provided enough citations to show 5k + km, but you are stuck to 5k and some how refuse to accept 5k+ can be more the 5.5k+ also.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Tarmak007 -- A bold blog on Indian defence: Agni Sakshi: 50-tonne home-grown missile launcher, the real unsung hero

Bangalore: It's the sole piece of steel that held Agni-V by its soul and heart. A true Agni Sakshi in many ways considering its close proximity to the missile during the take-off spit-fire seconds. The missile launcher used for Thursday's maiden test-firing of Agni-V is probably the less-debated piece of equipment which probably went down as an unsung hero. This home-grown launcher is co-developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) labs – R&D Engineers, Pune and Vehicle Research and Development Establishment (VRDE), Ahmednagar. It is made of high-strength steel and weighs 50-tonnes.
DRDO chief V K Saraswat told Express that the launcher used for Agni-V was a modified version of Agni-3 missile with many 'unique' capabilities. "It's a highly mobile platform that can be used for launching different types of missiles. It can be used to launch canister missiles and comes in road and rail mobile models. Its extremely high mobility makes the execution time (erection or installation) lesser," Saraswat said.
During a conflict scenario, the launcher comes handy as it requires very less reaction time. "We have been doing launchers for all missiles. By the time Agni-5 gets inducted into the Service, we will be ready with a further more modified launcher exclusively for the missile. Since the Agni class missiles are very heavy, the initial alignment of launcher is a very critical during every mission. The Agni-5 uses inertial navigation systems (INS) and the launcher plays a critical role at the beginning stages," says Guruprasad Siddalingappa, director, R&D Engineers, Pune.
He said the launcher provides the initial stability which is paramount for any missile launches. "Developing launchers is a specialized area and we had close to 50 scientists working on the Agni-5 launcher," Guruprasad said.
Copyright@The New Indian Express

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Ajai Shukla is very careful in his choice of words, he keeps on the usage "over 5000 Kms", there are enough reports and interviews of Avinash Chander and Sarswant, which claims Agni 5 is 5500 Kms.
Well he left out Madagascar, we can sure as hell bomb Madagascar and those pesty cartoon characters to kingdom come! :rolleyes:

I was looking for an Missile that would cover US and Western Europe, unless we put them on our reach they wont respect us as EQUALS.

pmaitra

NO, sir you haven't provided the citations, you are just putting your interpretations as final word and conveniently ignored any other thing others are saying.

You simply refuse to acknowledge re entry speed as parameter at all, others have provided enough citations to show 5k + km, but you are stuck to 5k and some how refuse to accept 5k+ can be more the 5.5k+ also.
Sirji, what is relevant is that we have PRC covered. That is important.

Secondly, BBC and BroadSword have said the missile reached a distance of 5000 km. That is reality. They never said it reached 5500 km. Secondly, DRDO has said that the Agni-5 can be be ramped up to 5500 km (theoretical), but this missile that we fired, is a 5000 km range missile, and is not an ICBM.

However, if anybody still wants to call it an ICBM, so be it. It makes one feel good.

While I am very pleased at this success, I don't see any point in calling a 5000 km range missile an ICBM. Frankly, it makes no sense. What can be done, is what can be done; what has been done, is what has been done. I am talking about reality. When the theory of 5500 km becomes reality, I will call it an ICBM. In any event, I'd like to see India posses at least 8000 km range, and not merely touch 5500 km range and squeal in excitement that we have ICBMs. Just keeping emotions in check.

Adux

Country flag
When somebody says it can be easily ramped up to 5500 from 5000, then it is nothing but the real range. Mind you, it is carrying a payload of 1.5 tons. Also there is a difference in ICBM flight characteristics

Anyways, though Agni 5 is a turning point, the job is not, unless we are capable of launching missiles which will hit any place on China, from the farthest point of India from the said country. Southernmost tip of India to Northernmost tip of China should be our minimum required range. Nothing less.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Sirji, what is relevant is that we have PRC covered. That is important.

Secondly, BBC and BroadSword have said the missile reached a distance of 5000 km. That is reality. They never said it reached 5500 km. Secondly, DRDO has said that the Agni-5 can be be ramped up to 5500 km (theoretical), but this missile that we fired, is a 5000 km range missile, and is not an ICBM.

However, if anybody still wants to call it an ICBM, so be it. It makes one feel good.

While I am very pleased at this success, I don't see any point in calling a 5000 km range missile an ICBM. Frankly, it makes no sense. What can be done, is what can be done; what has been done, is what has been done. I am talking about reality. When the theory of 5500 km becomes reality, I will call it an ICBM. In any event, I'd like to see India posses at least 8000 km range, and not merely touch 5500 km range and squeal in excitement that we have ICBMs. Just keeping emotions in check.
Again a case of wrong interpretation sir, Broad sword clearly states it entered atmosphere at 5k km, you are interpreting it as final touch down point.

Now if you feel happy with saying it is not an ICBM, let it be.

The only point here is, you are conveniently ignoring other's points and putting your interpretation as final word

Adux

Country flag
Well he left out Madagascar, we can sure as hell bomb Madagascar and those pesty cartoon characters to kingdom come! :rolleyes:

I was looking for an Missile that would cover US and Western Europe, unless we put them on our reach they wont respect us as EQUALS.
There is a reason why India keeps saying it is 5000 Kilometers but yet calls it ICBM, There is no need for us to play against everyone at one go. Learn from China, it will only do us good. How they played in the Cold War, this is the second cold war, US-China, and we should play smart here.

India will increase the range through its SLBM program, mark my words and then move on to land based ICBM.

if Avinash Chander calls it ICBM, it is good enough for me and rest of the country, forget the special needs prefect and his usual idiotic musings.

pmaitra

That should be our plan. In international geopolitics, there is no permanent friend, not foe.

However, we need to build ICBMs, that has a range of 8000+, and not simply test a missile at 5000 km and claim we have an ICBM. We don't have one - and even if we squeezed some juice out of this one to reach 5500 km, just to get that 'ICBM-status,' it really serves no tangible purpose.

We need to work on an ICBM, and we can do that once we come to terms with the fact that we don't have one.

Adux

Country flag
Again a case of wrong interpretation sir, Broad sword clearly states it entered atmosphere at 5k km, you are interpreting it as final touch down point.

Now if you feel happy with saying it is not an ICBM, let it be.

The only point here is, you are conveniently ignoring other's points and putting your interpretation as final word
Dr.V.K Sarswat and Dr.Avinash Chander calls it an ICBM, the Prime Minister calls it an ICBM, 5500 kilometer range is given in many reports and has flight characteristics of a ICBM which is different from MRBM/IRBM, therefore why do you care if someone un informed says something.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles