Abdus Salem killed

Abdus Salem killed

When have I ever said that?

flanker99

Country flag
are vai how do do u find such old twts?

abingdonboy

Country flag
What’s your point? I stand by what I said- the IAF has little interest in LCA MK.2 as long as their MRFA dreams are entertained.

if anything my comments from late 2021 were validated in the recent controversy on the matter that forced the IAF to express their intent for LCA MK.2 (albeit it at 50% less strength than they had proposed 4 years ago)

MirageBlue

Country flag
What’s your point? I stand by what I said- the IAF has little interest in LCA MK.2 as long as their MRFA dreams are entertained.

if anything my comments from late 2021 were validated in the recent controversy on the matter that forced the IAF to express their intent for LCA MK.2 (albeit it at 50% less strength than they had proposed 4 years ago)
I think it's clear that they have committed to 6 squadrons (108 units) of the Tejas Mk2 apart from the 6 squadrons (114 units) of MRFA. The earlier worry was that the IAF would've not wanted to commit to the Tejas Mk2 due to their fear that the GoI will make them take the Mk2 as the MRFA itself. As far as the IAF sees it, the MRFA offers them a mature option that is technologically very advanced.

The agencies responsible for its development and testing will need to deliver, which I'm fairly confident they will. The MoD and GoI will need to do their bit for supporting the program with funding and acting as a genuine bridge between the IAF and ADA/HAL since there will be some hiccups for sure.

I just hope that there is a lot better Program Management this time around. The IAF is embedded in the PMT and right from the start, so they've had a very good say on what is needed with the Tejas Mk2. That will translate into a more streamlined and efficient program in my view.

Just keep in mind that there are 83 Tejas Mk1As on order that need to be produced and delivered as well, till 2029. There's a lot riding on HAL and Indian industries that are part of these programs. Between them, the IAF has 10 squadrons of Tejas Mk1A and Mk2s to be inducted in the next 10-12 years. It is not a small number.

abingdonboy

Country flag
I think it's clear that they have committed to 6 squadrons (108 units) of the Tejas Mk2 apart from the 6 squadrons (114 units) of MRFA. The earlier worry was that the IAF would've not wanted to commit to the Tejas Mk2 due to their fear that the GoI will make them take the Mk2 as the MRFA itself. As far as the IAF sees it, the MRFA offers them a mature option that is technologically very advanced.

The agencies responsible for its development and testing will need to deliver, which I'm fairly confident they will. The MoD and GoI will need to do their bit for supporting the program with funding and acting as a genuine bridge between the IAF and ADA/HAL since there will be some hiccups for sure.

I just hope that there is a lot better Program Management this time around. The IAF is embedded in the PMT and right from the start, so they've had a very good say on what is needed with the Tejas Mk2. That will translate into a more streamlined and efficient program in my view.

Just keep in mind that there are 83 Tejas Mk1As on order that need to be produced and delivered as well, till 2029. There's a lot riding on HAL and Indian industries that are part of these programs. Between them, the IAF has 10 squadrons of Tejas Mk1A and Mk2s to be inducted in the next 10-12 years. It is not a small number.
The issue is that in 2018 the then CAS said 201 LCA MK.2 was the plan, this has been falling ever since, a couple years later 170 was mentioned and now the are ~120 (6 SQNs), and we all know this is because IAF is putting all their force into getting 114 MRFA.

mk.2 has been and is being sacrificed for the MRFA fantasies of IAF that to this day have not got beyond AON, best best best case scenario all 114 are in service come 2038-40 at this point. A stupid plan poorly implemented is peak Indian military. All other large airforces (that have access to reliable engines)have domestically made single engine fighters as their backbone. IAF is living off of brochure specs and not thinking like a future ready force

MirageBlue

Country flag
The issue is that in 2018 the then CAS said 201 LCA MK.2 was the plan, this has been falling ever since, a couple years later 170 was mentioned and now the are ~120 (6 SQNs), and we all know this is because IAF is putting all their force into getting 114 MRFA.

mk.2 has been and is being sacrificed for the MRFA fantasies of IAF that to this day have not got beyond AON, best best best case scenario all 114 are in service come 2038-40 at this point. A stupid plan poorly implemented is peak Indian military. All other large airforces (that have access to reliable engines)have domestically made single engine fighters as their backbone. IAF is living off of brochure specs and not thinking like a future ready force
201 Tejas Mk2 was simply not feasible. At 24 per year, you'd be talking about Tejas Mk2 deliveries almost till 2036-37! Higher rate than that and it's almost not possible for the IAF to absorb so many per year.

108 is not a small number and it is likely to go up IF ADA and HAL meet the timelines that they commit to. GoI has to do it's bit with funds being released without any delays. Contract negotiations shouldn't be as long winded as they were for Mk1A. That's also IAF, HAL and MoD's responsibility.

You're being extremely pessimistic, whereas if you look at the IAF's procurement plan as shown in the screen grab from this page, the MRFA is the last import. AMCA is also high on their priority given the J-20 entering service in increasing numbers and the possibility of a J-35 variant entering PAF service in the next 5-6 years.

Tejas Mk2 is perfect for Mirage-2000, MiG-29 and Jaguar replacements which adds up to well over 160-170 units..is why the numbers are likely to go up IF ADA, HAL and other agencies can adhere to the timelines so production is not spilling over majorly into the 2030s.

If the GoI keeps kicking MRFA down the road or if this MRFA continues to be a rabbit hole, then expect the IAF to look at the Tejas Mk2 as the filler.

Last edited:

johnj

I think its production ready by 2030's this is logical if we see the estimated timeline:
Nov/Dec 21 : CDR completed after which manufacturing started
late 2022 - early 2023 : roll out of first prototype
late 2023 - early 2024 : First flight
2024-2030 - flight testing period of 6 years (F22- 6yrs, F35- 8-9 yrs, Rafale - 8-9yrs)
2030's - production ready

I hope they can run an accelerated testing timeline but 2030 is not bad, but our fleet number will be really affected
without td or prototype.

johnj

I don't disagree. But 36 + 114 + 108 = 258
So it looks like the IAF as a plan for the obsolescence of the aircraft you mentioned .
Mk1a look like they will replace the remaining mig 21s .
Only hope for more mk2s is a reduction in the mrfa or exports.
42 sqn. in total. LCA mk2 eventually become the backbone/workhorse of IAF in future - around 150 to 250 or more considering mrfa cancellation or reduced nos.

johnj

Yep. The IAF always wanted the 126 rafales which GOI failed to make a deal on .
These are all my speculations based on interviews of the IAF chief.
nope. IAF wanted around 180 eu jets. 126 plus additional order in future. Now seeing lca capability, mmrca nos were reduced - 114 under make in india. {100 jets minimum for make in india] IAF keep talking about mmrca/mrca until mk2 achieve foc, ie 2031/32.

karn

Country flag
42 sqn. in total. LCA mk2 eventually become the backbone/workhorse of IAF in future - around 150 to 250 or more considering mrfa cancellation or reduced nos.
Didn't the IAF chief lay down a plan for 30 somthing squadrons for by the mid 2030s ? In the timeframe for that the 42 squadrons .. won't the AMCA be the workhorse ?

johnj

IAF asking for 150 plus mmrca from 2000.
IAF considering buying 12 sqn of lca. mk1 - 2 sqn. then rest 10 sqn 180- mk2, but mk1a take the place of 4 sqn, now 6 sqn, unfortunately iaf forced to buys around 15 or more sqn of lca.

karn

Country flag
nope. IAF wanted around 180 eu jets. 126 plus additional order in future. Now seeing lca capability, mmrca nos were reduced - 114 under make in india. {100 jets minimum for make in india] IAF keep talking about mmrca/mrca until mk2 achieve foc, ie 2031/32.
The IAF got 36 rafales they want 114 more . That's 150 right there . So a 30 reduction from their eventual end goal .
Let's see .. all indications seem like a new competition for MRFA is not possible .. if mmrca was anything to go by AMCA might be ready by the time price negotiations end

Global Defence

New threads

Articles