ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Hey guys noob here. Just wanted to ask one thing. I have been checking out Tejas mk.2's specifications on the wiki and there I saw that it has a wing area of 44m^2. Now I have seen wing areas of various fighter jets and this wing area is comparable to rafale which is twin-engine aircraft. My question is won't this have an adverse effect on the dogfighting capabilities of this jet also if having more wing area is better then what are the advantages that this jet will have???
Low wing loading ,more payload , Better armament per weapon station carrying capacity

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Hey guys noob here. Just wanted to ask one thing. I have been checking out Tejas mk.2's specifications on the wiki and there I saw that it has a wing area of 44m^2. Now I have seen wing areas of various fighter jets and this wing area is comparable to rafale which is twin-engine aircraft. My question is won't this have an adverse effect on the dogfighting capabilities of this jet also if having more wing area is better then what are the advantages that this jet will have???
The idea that bigger-wingarea=more-drag is a misconception propagated by cousin/goat-fucking madrassachaps... This is one of the reasons i switched to BRF, 50% of the existence at DFI was repeating the same answers to new people.
But now I think I'll keep these bookmarked instead. Forwarding @ersakthivel's link from another thread.

The drag depends on a multitude of factors working for & against each other. All changes in Tejas Mark2 is to make it less draggy than Mark1, which itself performs better than Mirage-2000 (refer to this link).
Although the wing area is more than double that of the standard F-16 (633square feet vs. 300 square feet), the drag is actually reduced. The skin friction drag that is a function of the increased wetted (skin surface) area is increased, but the other components of drag (wave, interference, and trim) that are a function of the configuration shape and arrangement are lower so that the “clean airplane” drag is slightly lower during level flight, and forty percent lower when bombs and missiles are added.
Rear the whole thing here:https://www.airforcemag.com/article/1183f16xl/

But again, don't equate the two.. Tejas' crank angles are opposite of F-16XL to serve a different purpose.

Kalkioftoday

Country flag
Doesnt the Gripen carry a low band jammer on its tail? Will we see a similar jammer on the tail of the LCA?
View attachment 139991
The project director is saying that Mk2 is going to have an unified electronic warfare suite and the jammers will be inside the aircraft, so that means yes, i think Mk2 will get an inbuilt low band jammer but not sure it'll be on the tail like this one.

Trololo

Country flag
The project director is saying that Mk2 is going to have an unified electronic warfare suite and the jammers will be inside the aircraft, so that means yes, i think Mk2 will get an inbuilt low band jammer but not sure it'll be on the tail like this one.
I see. This tail mounted solution is quite practical. Saves internal space for other stuff, its aerodynamic, and being large in size should offer good upgradeability. Even the Rafale and Bandar have large tail mounted sensors. Lets see how the UEWS shapes up on the MWF.

Tang

Country flag
Come on bro.. Copying means taking basic inspiration with some tweaks to improve/customize areas.
Its a very common practice.

never mind, I was expecting a discussion/detailed opinion rather then someone trying to kill the query.

Here is the video for your reference.
Tejas MK1 is far better than Mirage 2000 design.
It can carry more payload/area compared to F16.
Hope you can now understand.
Tejas is optimised for subsonic to 1mach+ performance., That is where the actual dogfight happens.
It can go till 1.6 mach easily.

There are always tradeoff with different designs.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Yeah, I think it counts as 11 only. But its not an issue, still great capacity. Also, means that it can work as a great EW aircraft in the same Growler configuration as FA18G and wont have any issue with lack of space like tejas does.
Just don't say anything bro... 🙂

Don't have power or space for that purpose. It is good for what it is meant for.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Just don't say anything bro... 🙂

Don't have power or space for that purpose. It is good for what it is meant for.
I was extrapolating the news of the Tejas MK1 being outfitted to a jamming role (for which it is clearly not well suited) to be a test platform for doing the same on Tejas MK2. Waise cant power be generated by a smaller APU in the jamming pod itself? Would cut the range a bit but should work if you fly with two fuel tanks.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
Yes in light fighter category.
Tejas MK-2 is not in Light weight Category. It is going to be in Medium weight Category. Base Gripen is in light weight Category, Tejas MK-2 can be compared to Gripen NG. MWF can be said to be in the category of F-16 Block 70/72 Gripen NG, Mirage-2000. Basically Tejas MK-2 will be "Desi/Indian" Gripen.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Tejas MK-2 is not in Light weight Category. It is going to be in Medium weight Category. Base Gripen is in light weight Category, Tejas MK-2 can be compared to Gripen NG. MWF can be said to be in the category of F-16 Block 70/72 Gripen NG, Mirage-2000. Basically Tejas MK-2 will be "Desi/Indian" Gripen.
Mirage 2000 is nowhere close to MWF. Period

Articles