ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kstriya

Country flag
India To Start Production of Tejas Mark 1A Fighter Jet by 2021
New Delhi — Indian Air Force Chief Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha expressed satisfaction over the indigenous capabilities for producing the fighter jet.

"Next version of Light Combat Aircraft called Tejas Mark1-A would be an improved version. It will have better radar, weapons avionics. We can start production by 2021. We can have 80 such planes by 2027," said Raha.

The Tejas Mark1-A is a 4.5 generation aircraft the Indian government has said will not lead to the development of an indigenous fifth generation aircraft. In August this year, Indian Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar said in Parliament, "there is a separate program between Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) from the Indian side and M/s Rosboronexport from the Russian side for Design and Development (D&D) of the Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA)."

Air Chief Marshal Raha said that the Indian Air Force is now in a position to continue with research and development of a FGFA.

India formed its first Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas squadron on July 1, 2016, with two LCA Initial Operational Configuration (IOC) series production aircraft. A further 18 IOC configured aircraft are planned for induction by 2018-19.

Source>>
Not acceptable, WTF ! What went wrong, the credibility of RM and PM is at stake if we cant get a Indian bird in sky soon. LCA MK1 A was suppose to be out by 2018 and production was to be doubled by HAL to 16 a year. The export prospects are doomed if this is true..

Chinmoy

Country flag
Not acceptable, WTF ! What went wrong, the credibility of RM and PM is at stake if we cant get a Indian bird in sky soon. LCA MK1 A was suppose to be out by 2018 and production was to be doubled by HAL to 16 a year. The export prospects are doomed if this is true..
The plan was to have 20 Tejas with IOC config by 2018-19 i.e 1 squadron of Tejas by 2018/19. Now Mk1A was to have GE-F414 instead of GE-F404 and AESA Radar instead of PESA. Now incorporating the retractable refueling probe is still pending. Do you want to do this all in a hurry?
Here we are talking about a plane. Even the SP which is getting out of production line goes through rigorous ground and flight test before getting inducted. Look at the Rafale deal. French are taking 5 and half year time to deliver 36 jets i.e. around 7 jets per year is coming out of the production line which is just a notch better then ours given their extensive production facility. Even inducting 20 jets in two year time frame would be a sort of record for us.
Now if I to believe Sputnik, what ACM Raha did said is like what we say to be on safe side. He is not the integrator nor OEM. So he would give always give a maximum time frame for any such production unit which he doesn't control. Ground testing and development of RADAR and refueling probe is under way and it would for sure take time to get FOC taking in equation the cold weather and hot weather trial. HAL too would try to get K9/10 into MK1A instead of 414 if possible. So a time frame of 2020-21 is bad only in paper. But practically its all too valid and good.

tejas warrior

Country flag
The plan was to have 20 Tejas with IOC config by 2018-19 i.e 1 squadron of Tejas by 2018/19. Now Mk1A was to have GE-F414 instead of GE-F404 and AESA Radar instead of PESA. Now incorporating the retractable refueling probe is still pending. Do you want to do this all in a hurry?
Here we are talking about a plane. Even the SP which is getting out of production line goes through rigorous ground and flight test before getting inducted. Look at the Rafale deal. French are taking 5 and half year time to deliver 36 jets i.e. around 7 jets per year is coming out of the production line which is just a notch better then ours given their extensive production facility. Even inducting 20 jets in two year time frame would be a sort of record for us.
Now if I to believe Sputnik, what ACM Raha did said is like what we say to be on safe side. He is not the integrator nor OEM. So he would give always give a maximum time frame for any such production unit which he doesn't control. Ground testing and development of RADAR and refueling probe is under way and it would for sure take time to get FOC taking in equation the cold weather and hot weather trial. HAL too would try to get K9/10 into MK1A instead of 414 if possible. So a time frame of 2020-21 is bad only in paper. But practically its all too valid and good.
Mk1A will have only GE-F404. No change in engine.

I believe, AESA is delaying whole thing.. it needs all weapon testing again.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Mk1A will have only GE-F404. No change in engine.

I believe, AESA is delaying whole thing.. it needs all weapon testing again.
But as far as I know its GE-F414 which was planned for Tejas. F404 was only a stop gap against Kaveri for IOC...

Chinmoy

Country flag
No,

Tejas Mk-1A planned with GE-F404.

Tejas Mk-2 is planned with GE-F414.
Ok, but IAF is not interested in Mk2, so it would be Mk1A for them all way. Now IAF requirement was of 90 to 100 kN in FOC which 404 can't provide. Means for Mk1A they would have to go for 414.
Isn't it so? or am I missing something?

tejas warrior

Country flag
As of now, IAF will get
Mk1 IOC = 20
Mk1 FOC = 20
MK1-A =80

All these comes with GE-F404.

Possibly Tejas for IAF will be closed here for making more Imports. Very Sad.

Only MK2 will be coming up(there is a Big IF now) with GE-F414. First MK2 will be coming for Indian Navy and later it may get changed for IAF if they want.

Saichand K

Country flag
As of now, IAF will get
Mk1 IOC = 20
Mk1 FOC = 20
MK1-A =80

All these comes with GE-F404.

Possibly Tejas for IAF will be closed here for making more Imports. Very Sad.

Only MK2 will be coming up(there is a Big IF now) with GE-F414. First MK2 will be coming for Indian Navy and later it may get changed for IAF if they want.
MK2 target is Indian Navy, not IAF. IAF's requirement's are easily met using MK-1A.

tejas warrior

Country flag
but the time frame for AESA was not just 1 year ..... claimed by Israel company. .... ????
No, not one year.

Please understand it's not LCA but attitude of IAF who do not want LCA in numbers. As of now, No fighter of IAF has AESA, but LCA needs it for getting inducted.

Very expensive Mirage upgrade didn't bring AESA.

No fighter of PAF has AESA as well.

Defcon 1

Country flag
No, not one year.

Please understand it's not LCA but attitude of IAF who do not want LCA in numbers. As of now, No fighter of IAF has AESA, but LCA needs it for getting inducted.

Very expensive Mirage upgrade didn't bring AESA.

No fighter of PAF has AESA as well.
Hi, all the new fighters getting inducted in all the major airforces of the world in that timeline will have AESA.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
I believe, AESA is delaying whole thing.. it needs all weapon testing again
No it can't be. EL-2052 is already a developed system which is scalable. Intregration of which with Python-V and Derby(ER) is of dafault nature. The seperation trials of said AAMs are already completed. I am sure by now ADA-HAL must have progressed to advance stage in testing AAMs. So i don't think it can be a reason.

I honestly feel clear picture will only appear when HAL has stablised rate of production at desired level which is 16 (confirmed) or 26 (unconfirmed). Manufacturing a fighter of this complexity after having developed it from scratch is first of its kind after a long gap since HF-24 Marut days. It will take quite an effort.

Akask kumar

Well, that's Tejas Mk1A, equipped with AESA Radar and several better features.

For AMCA, even if it was made before making a standard 4.5gen fighter, it would have become another obsolete piece. Better to get set in 4th generation fighters first, then, making a proper fifth gen fighter within the schedule will be realistic.
yes .. DRDO shud learn technological upgradation from ISRO. first we need to get more expertise on conventional aircraft manufacturing and design.. then we shud push the gear for the next technology level..
anyway sukhoi-T-50 is their to meet our stealth requirements , we should be focused on making better and more advanced version of Tejas or a different design and engine of our own.. Then AMCA ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles