ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kharavela

Country flag
Why ?? For what ??

Don't compromise on IP please.
You didn't notice the source of the story... NDTV aka RandiTV.

In all probability, this is paid news. Most likely by Saab lobby, in a hope for creating a space for Gripen.

The #Presstitute quotes an un-named senior defence personnel, which is nothing but figment of imagination. Pure Bullshit.

tejas warrior

Country flag
Local production of US F 16 & F/A 18 not attractive: HAL Chairman Suvarna Raju

How involved will the private sector be in the production of the LCA aircraft in India?

The first 20 aircraft will be completed by 2018, by when we have to make a Mk 1A version of the aircraft. We are ramping up production to 16 aircraft a year. We have recently issued request for quotations to the private players to supply modules like fuselage parts and wings. If we can get this from the private sector, we can increase production to 25 aircraft a year. So, we are looking for capacity augmentation with these private players. We are looking at a concept in which HAL is an integrator that has some 20% (of total) work in the hangers. The remaining 80% of work can be off loaded to the industry. If a private company for example is setting up a shop for composites manufacturing, it will be assured for business for many years.

..http://idrw.org . Read more at India's No 1 Defence News Website and not at Copycat Websites , We lead others follow us. http://idrw.org/local-production-of...ractive-hal-chairman-suvarna-raju/#more-92649 .

garg_bharat

Country flag
HAL has gone slow on Tejas for years. The same story is in helicopters where production never reaches the installed capacity. HAL is a story of inefficiency and wastage.

HAL should show us what it means. I want to see 25 Tejas rolling out per year. Till then I am not ready to believe a word from Raju's mouth.

F-18 is very attractive. It has the range (with conformal tanks, almost similar to Su30). It has very good sensors and weapons. And an Indian line will train thousands of Indian engineers and technicians on modern fighter building techniques.

So sorry Mr Raju. We do not buy your argument.

PaliwalWarrior

Yes. LCA should be deployed in Srinagar, Pathankot, Bhisiana, Jaisalmer etc. It's primary role will be air defence with WVR and BVR missiles. There is no way it can be refueled over there.

LCA is optimal for around 10 squadrons in the West, which need quick reaction. Su-30 should be second line.

Lca is also optimalnfor around 4-6 sqdns in the bay of Bengal , Andaman & mallaca straits regions

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
While discussing various aspects of tejas, what we missed is that this plane was conceived as a interceptor with 2 ton weight carrying and 1.5 mach speed was ultimately turned into a swing role multirole fighter with much better utility. Designers must have worked very hard to change a humble design into a very capable design.

They deserve a very good credit.

Once we produce Mk1+, I recommend a gradual gradual upgrade with every squadron.

Once we get Mk1+, we must focus on more composite part, new designed wings, weight reduction of 100 kg with each new squadron. We must take the weight bellow 6 tons and weight carrying must be increased to 4.2 tons.

kstriya

Country flag
While discussing various aspects of tejas, what we missed is that this plane was conceived as a interceptor with 2 ton weight carrying and 1.5 mach speed was ultimately turned into a swing role multirole fighter with much better utility. Designers must have worked very hard to change a humble design into a very capable design.

They deserve a very good credit.

Once we produce Mk1+, I recommend a gradual gradual upgrade with every squadron.

Once we get Mk1+, we must focus on more composite part, new designed wings, weight reduction of 100 kg with each new squadron. We must take the weight bellow 6 tons and weight carrying must be increased to 4.2 tons.
I believe an advanced 5th gen variant should be derived from the current Tejas program.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Tejas MK3 is already on proposed after successful induction of MK2 ..

Superdefender

Yeah, Mk. 3 will be the most stealthy jet produced on planet. It will be 5th gen Tejas and still maintain light weight catagory. If heavy fighters like Su-50/Raptor have 0.1-0.4 m² stealth, I think Mk. 3 will surpass them all in invisibility due to smallest high grade RAM coated frame.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
I believe an advanced 5th gen variant should be derived from the current Tejas program.
tejas is too small to derive any fifth generation variant . Yes , you can derive 5th generation variant from naval MK2 which is fifteen and a half meter long and powered by GE 414 116 KN engine.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Saraswat mentioned that in one of his talk. However that should be a very potent plane way ahead of time. I recommend a Naval tejas MK2 based plane. 15.5 m long 125 KN engine, ramjet powered BVR, Special frequency RADAR to detect stealth, Sensor fusion, inbuild EW, very low drag and high maneuverability.

Superdefender

tejas is too small to derive any fifth generation variant . Yes , you can derive 5th generation variant from naval MK2 which is fifteen and a half meter long and powered by GE 414 116 KN engine.
I believe light weight 5th gen fighter is possible. If engine weight is your concern, then I think at that time enough scientific knowledge will be there to make engine light weight and still thrust more. We have to make Mk.3 just gen 5.0; not like 5.3/5.4/5.5 like heavy fighters! And who knows if Mk.3 will be manned or unmanned. If we transfer AURA's tech to MK.3,....

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
I believe light weight 5th gen fighter is possible. If engine weight is your concern, then I think at that time enough scientific knowledge will be there to make engine light weight and still thrust more. We have to make Mk.3 just gen 5.0; not like 5.3/5.4/5.5 like heavy fighters! And who knows if Mk.3 will be manned or unmanned. If we transfer AURA's tech to MK.3,....
I am not talking about any engine weight here but I am talking about power.

Superdefender

Saraswat mentioned that in one of his talk. However that should be a very potent plane way ahead of time. I recommend a Naval tejas MK2 based plane. 15.5 m long 125 KN engine, ramjet powered BVR, Special frequency RADAR to detect stealth, Sensor fusion, inbuild EW, very low drag and high maneuverability.
Naval Tejas Mk.2 is big. If Mk.3 will be based on that, it will end up to be medium fighter. My belief is to research, make continuous change/modify and add tech. to upcoming Air Force version Mk.1A/Mk.2.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Naval Tejas Mk.2 is big. If Mk.3 will be based on that, it will end up to be medium fighter. My belief is to research, make continuous change/modify and add tech. to upcoming Air Force version Mk.1A/Mk.2.
Yes it may be in medium catagory. So what?

Do you know that small size of LCA created a lots of aerodynamic issue which make it necessary to increase the length in Mk2. If we want to spend huge amount of money and manpower, we can not afford a short leg, poor aerodynamics plane with limited utility. If we increase the size to 15.5 M and put some 3500 Kg fuel, we can get a real fighter of Gripen NG catagory with stealth. And that should be our aim. It will be a light plane with MMRCA capability. And that is exactly we want. It will have 6.0 ton payload carrying capability with 2500 to 2700 KM ferry range without external fuel. It will be highly cost effective to operate.

Last edited:

Superdefender

@HariPrasad-1 , I agree. But we need no further medium jets; we will have AMCA for that. We have to restrict Mk.3 in light catagory. Already N-LCA 2 is big enough to consider it as end point of light catagory (size wise). Mk. 2 can handle medium jets and undertake medium roles/missions despite a light fighter. Imagine what can Mk.3 do? All of specs you mentioned for Mk.3 can be acheived in light catagory. Perhaps you are forgetting that cfc will increase to 75% of body weight (perhaps highest of any fighter) in Mk. 3, making it even more lighter but still way powerful than Mk. 2. The weight reduced by increased composites can be filled in by adding suitable 5th gen systems, still maintaining light weight. India is leader in composites. Thus we can have 5g fighter of all three kinds (1st on the planet) - FGFA, AMCA & LCA Mk.3. We can use whichever bird depending on mission type.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
@HariPrasad-1 , I agree. But we need no further medium jets; we will have AMCA for that. We have to restrict Mk.3 in light catagory. Already N-LCA 2 is big enough to consider it as end point of light catagory (size wise). Mk. 2 can handle medium jets and undertake medium roles/missions despite a light fighter. Imagine what can Mk.3 do? All of specs you mentioned for Mk.3 can be acheived in light catagory. Perhaps you are forgetting that cfc will increase to 75% of body weight (perhaps highest of any fighter) in Mk. 3, making it even more lighter but still way powerful than Mk. 2. The weight reduced by increased composites can be filled in by adding suitable 5th gen systems, still maintaining light weight. India is leader in composites. Thus we can have 5g fighter of all three kinds (1st on the planet) - FGFA, AMCA & LCA Mk.3. We can use whichever bird depending on mission type.

Man it is a light plane with single engine with MMRCA capability. If a bellow 7.0 ton plan with single engine deliver the punch of MMRCA than what is the problem.
Medium category planes are generally of 2 engines and lot more costlier than light weight single engine fighter. Here I am talking of a light single engine plane with MMRCA performance. Airforce MK2 is conceived with 6150 KG weight with 5.0 ton load carrying and something around 2500 KM+-200 KM range. This are MMRCA specification. Now if we stretch a little further and curve out a highly potent plane with 6 to 7 ton payload and weight bellow 7.0 ton than it will be light plane with MMRCA capability.
If we do that than it will relieve MKI from many mission. It will just consume half of kerosene. Imagine the punch we get at a very low capital and operating cost.

Superdefender

@HariPrasad-1 , you just agreed with me. I was too explaining you that. Mk. 2, despite a light fighter, can accomplish medium level performance. Confusion is occuring because you are talking about Mk.2 and I am talking about Mk.3.

Yumdoot

HAL shows it cards.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...varna-raju/articleshow/51834356.cms?prtpage=1
Do you think the recent US offer for the production of F 16 and F/A 18 fighters in India are viable?
Neither aircraft could win the (air force's) medium multirole combat aircraft ( MMRCA) competition. So I really don't know. It is not very attractive and I sincerely don't know how serious they are. The F 16 production has stopped and I am sure a parallel line for the F/A 18 won't be worth it. There are reports that the fighters are being considered as we may have a gap of 200 aircraft of the LCA class by 2021. If this is true, the gap can be filled up by increasing production rate of LCA. In the new defence procurement policy, an Indian designed and manufactured system has top priority which the LCA fits into and the others don't.
&

How involved will the private sector be in the production of the LCA aircraft in India?
The first 20 aircraft will be completed by 2018, by when we have to make a Mk 1A version of the aircraft. We are ramping up production to 16 aircraft a year. We have recently issued request for quotations to the private players to supply modules like fuselage parts and wings. If we can get this from the private sector, we can increase production to 25 aircraft a year.
So, we are looking for capacity augmentation with these private players. We are looking at a concept in which HAL is an integrator that has some 20% (of total) work in the hangers. The remaining 80% of work can be off loaded to the industry. If a private company for example is setting up a shop for composites manufacturing, it will be assured for business for many years.
So how come this was not posted here or even in the MMRCA related threads. Probably people supporting imported maal, did not see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles