ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kharavela

Country flag
I understand your point
I read somewhere we are working with Israel to make our Chetak Choppers into Unmanned versions.. So this idea comes to my mind if we are able to do with Chetak then with LCA also it might be possible.. Though QF-16 is for target practice, we could modify the LCA to make it a UCAV as strike units.. Hence the proposal..
if possible (it's a big IF), I would rather like to suggest, instead of sending soon-to-be-obsolete Mig21 aircrafts to junkyards / museum, to use them as unmanned combat aircrafts.

garg_bharat

Country flag
if possible (it's a big IF), I would rather like to suggest, instead of sending soon-to-be-obsolete Mig21 aircrafts to junkyards / museum, to use them as unmanned combat aircrafts.
These aircraft are very old, there will be no airframe life left.

Narasimh

Country flag
I think unlike the Tejas's Digital Fly by Wire, Mig 21s have a Hydraulic system which might be much more challenging to convert.

garg_bharat

Country flag
I think unlike the Tejas's Digital Fly by Wire, Mig 21s have a Hydraulic system which might be much more challenging to convert.
It may be having analog control systems. Fighter planes have computerized and automated systems, even 70s era planes.

Technically it can be converted to drone but practically no.

Gessler

Country flag
Technically it can be converted to drone but practically no.
You can convert them...but only as target drones. Chinese have done it with their older J-7 interceptors (Chengdu copy of MiG-21). After retirement, a lot of USAF F-4 and F-16 stocks are also converted to target drones.

tejas warrior

Country flag
With Two Planes, India To Raise Its First Tejas Squadron In July
The Tejas squadron will be based in in Tamil Nadu's Sulur.
New Delhi: India will get its Tejas fighter squadron -- indigenously built Combat Aircraft -- on July 1, with two planes. The squadron will be based in in Tamil Nadu's Sulur.
Another two fighters are expected in the next financial year, 2016-17, a senior Air Force commander told NDTV. The total strength of the squadron - normally they have 14 to 16 aircraft -- and its name will be decided later.

The first two Tejas fighters, however, won't be used for operations now. They will undergo test flights to resolve certain flaws. The clearance for operations is expected in December.

The Tejas still has 19 unresolved issues - including nose wheel vibrations, high noise level in the cockpit -- which need to be sorted out. "The HAL (the manufacturer, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited) and IAF are working closely to sort out these issues, we expect them to go through it quickly," the commander said.
For now, the Air Force will start the training and induction of pilots. Also, test pilots manning the squadron will work closely with HAL to "deal with the niggling issues," he added.

Despite its flaws, the Air Force had agreed to induct the aircraft to keep the Tejas programme alive and bolster its flagging squadron numbers. The Air Force is down to 33 fighter squadrons against the required 42. Each squadron has 14 to 16 jets. Over the next few years, the IAF will lose another 14 squadrons comprising the aging Russian-made MiG-21 and MiG 27s.

To make up the numbers the Air Force has ordered 80 more Tejas fighters, and their total number will be 120 -- the delivery will depend on HAL's production capacity.

The first batch 20 fighters produced by HAL will not have the capacity to refuel on air - a critical quality during operations.

"That, a better radar , and the ability to fire missiles beyond the visual range will be incorporated in the second batch of 20 fighters," the officer said. India is hoping to use Israeli radars.

The Defence ministry and HAL are in the process of increasing the production capacity of Tejas fighters. The plan is to produce at least 8 aircraft annually and then increase it to 16 fighters, that is one squadron, a year.

V_Force

Country flag
"Despite its flaws, the Air Force had agreed to induct the aircraft to keep the Tejas programme alive and bolster its flagging squadron numbers. The Air Force is down to 33 fighter squadrons against the required 42. Each squadron has 14 to 16 jets. Over the next few years, the IAF will lose another 14 squadrons comprising the aging Russian-made MiG-21 and MiG 27s."

Have a look at the mind sets of these IAF commission agents of foreign stuff vendors, They placed ordered for manufacturing of a family car to maruti some 25 years ago and now after 25 years they want features of Bugatti Veron and Lamborghini. Lol........What a bullshit mentality. They just need tight slap from Hon'ble Defense Minister. These IAF and army commission agents are the real reason for the failure of our defence equipments manufacturing industry is lacking behind 100 years when compared to even china who got independence even after we got. God Save our country.

AnantS

Country flag
Dont cringe on Lifafa Article. Some journos invent words & "unnamed sources " to disparage the bird. What problems are mentioned in article are not uncommon when production starts for new model aircraft or even cars. As the production line stabilizes, these issue will be eradicated

kr9

Country flag
Dont cringe on Lifafa Article. Some journos invent words & "unnamed sources " to disparage the bird. What problems are mentioned in article are not uncommon when production starts for new model aircraft or even cars. As the production line stabilizes, these issue will be eradicated
Hi,
Do you know if the Mk1s have been upgraded to the MK1A standards or any other configuration?
Sorry, but I lost track of what is the current MK1 IOC configuration amidst all the reports and counter reports.
:confused1:

HAL and IAF needs to work on their product designations.

AnantS

Country flag
Hi,
Do you know if the Mk1s have been upgraded to the MK1A standards or any other configuration?
Sorry, but I lost track of what is the current MK1 IOC configuration amidst all the reports and counter reports.
:confused1:

HAL and IAF needs to work on their product designations.
By December 2018, the SOP (Standard of Preparation) is likely to be finalised. The Drawing Applicability List (DAL) will also be ready soon. (DAL is a key element of SOP)."We are planning to have four Tejas MKIAs ready by 2018/19 and these platforms will be with slight weight reduction. By June 2016, some concrete plans for Tejas MKIA will be ready," says an official. As per the current plans, by 2025 HAL must hand over 100 Tejas MKIAs to IAF.

I will recommend you this fairly recent article: http://www.oneindia.com/india/hal-on-mission-mode-to-ramp-up-tejas-production-2050583.html

kr9

Country flag
By December 2018, the SOP (Standard of Preparation) is likely to be finalised. The Drawing Applicability List (DAL) will also be ready soon. (DAL is a key element of SOP)."We are planning to have four Tejas MKIAs ready by 2018/19 and these platforms will be with slight weight reduction. By June 2016, some concrete plans for Tejas MKIA will be ready," says an official. As per the current plans, by 2025 HAL must hand over 100 Tejas MKIAs to IAF.

I will recommend you this fairly recent article: http://www.oneindia.com/india/hal-on-mission-mode-to-ramp-up-tejas-production-2050583.html
Thank you.

Some closure at last.

Kharavela

Country flag
With Two Planes, India To Raise Its First Tejas Squadron In July
The Tejas squadron will be based in in Tamil Nadu's Sulur.
New Delhi: India will get its Tejas fighter squadron -- indigenously built Combat Aircraft -- on July 1, with two planes. The squadron will be based in in Tamil Nadu's Sulur.
Another two fighters are expected in the next financial year, 2016-17, a senior Air Force commander told NDTV. The total strength of the squadron - normally they have 14 to 16 aircraft -- and its name will be decided later.

The first two Tejas fighters, however, won't be used for operations now. They will undergo test flights to resolve certain flaws. The clearance for operations is expected in December.

The Tejas still has 19 unresolved issues - including nose wheel vibrations, high noise level in the cockpit -- which need to be sorted out. "The HAL (the manufacturer, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited) and IAF are working closely to sort out these issues, we expect them to go through it quickly," the commander said.
For now, the Air Force will start the training and induction of pilots. Also, test pilots manning the squadron will work closely with HAL to "deal with the niggling issues," he added.

Despite its flaws, the Air Force had agreed to induct the aircraft to keep the Tejas programme alive and bolster its flagging squadron numbers. The Air Force is down to 33 fighter squadrons against the required 42. Each squadron has 14 to 16 jets. Over the next few years, the IAF will lose another 14 squadrons comprising the aging Russian-made MiG-21 and MiG 27s.

To make up the numbers the Air Force has ordered 80 more Tejas fighters, and their total number will be 120 -- the delivery will depend on HAL's production capacity.

The first batch 20 fighters produced by HAL will not have the capacity to refuel on air - a critical quality during operations.

"That, a better radar , and the ability to fire missiles beyond the visual range will be incorporated in the second batch of 20 fighters," the officer said. India is hoping to use Israeli radars.

The Defence ministry and HAL are in the process of increasing the production capacity of Tejas fighters. The plan is to produce at least 8 aircraft annually and then increase it to 16 fighters, that is one squadron, a year.
I got one positive indication from this article regarding Tejas:
Raksha Mantri is determined to push Tejas through IAF's throat. Now it is upon the Chair Marshalls to fall in line or get kicked where it really hurts.

My two cent advice to those Chair Marshalls who despised Tejas & lobbied for phoren maal:-
When "Rape" is inevitable, what's the point to cry, ENJOY...

Narasimh

Country flag
Raksha Mantri is determined to push Tejas through IAF's throat. Now it is upon the Chair Marshalls to fall in line or get kicked where it really hurts.

My two cent advice to those Chair Marshalls who despised Tejas & lobbied for phoren maal:-
Your point is clear but the analogy of Rape is not in good taste man.. Its a heinous crime and its anguish should not be trivialized.. No offense though

garg_bharat

Country flag
It is impossible to refuel a plane in forward areas in wartime. It is not refueling but sortie generation (maintainability) which is more critical.

Over the next few years, the IAF will lose another 14 squadrons comprising the aging Russian-made MiG-21 and MiG 27s.
This number (14) does not look right somehow. Some of the Mig-21 squadrons have been (or will be) replaced by Su30. The rest should be replaced by LCA. Mig-27 can be kept longer if numbers are a problem.

Panjab47

सर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट्टादेवकल्पादृढ़व्रता|੧੫|
Banned
@garg_bharat they are going to be operating from Bathinda & going up to Lahore. Idk why they think they're doing yatra to london for orders first. Bathinda to Lahore is like 150km each way. That's 100mi Tejas rated for atleast 2 or 3x that.

So..

Just keep sukhois for tibet.

Last edited:

garg_bharat

Country flag
@garg_bharat they are going to be operating from Bathinda & going up to Lahore. Idk why they think they're doing yatra to london for orders first. Bathinda to Lahore is like 150km each way. That's 100mi Tejas rated for atleast 2 or 3x that.

So..........................................................................................................................................................................
Yes. LCA should be deployed in Srinagar, Pathankot, Bhisiana, Jaisalmer etc. It's primary role will be air defence with WVR and BVR missiles. There is no way it can be refueled over there.

LCA is optimal for around 10 squadrons in the West, which need quick reaction. Su-30 should be second line.

smestarz

Country flag

I would prefer to kick them both, aage bhi aur pichwade bhi

Kharavela

Country flag
LCA is optimal for around 10 squadrons in the West, which need quick reaction. Su-30 should be second line.
Sir, will you please explain why 10 squadrons of Tejas would be optimal ?

I understand that Tejas is unstoppable in a group formation, just like a pack of hyena scare even a lion.

If a formation of 12 Tejas with 4 Su-30 (providing cover to Tejas) goes up the sky, PAF will piss in their pants & not even think to send their best fighter (F-16 Block 52) to confront.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles