ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rahulrds1

Light combat aircraft, LCA Teajs, Various internal components/Unit like disc breaks,gearbox,heat exchanger etc took pictures at aero India 2015

rahulrds1

Light combat aircraft, LCA Teajs, Various internal components/Unit like disc breaks,gearbox,heat exchanger etc took pictures at aero India 2015

MANT!

Just a question, from a "maintainability" standpoint, how is the Tejas set up? in other words, the LRUs all look nice but if they are located in hard to reach spots in the airframe, you will many more maintenance hours per flight hour than you should..the B-58 had so much more man hours per flight hour it simply wasn't cost effective to fly after it got old..hence it's retirement in 1970.

sgarg

Just a question, from a "maintainability" standpoint, how is the Tejas set up? in other words, the LRUs all look nice but if they are located in hard to reach spots in the airframe, you will many more maintenance hours per flight hour than you should..the B-58 had so much more man hours per flight hour it simply wasn't cost effective to fly after it got old..hence it's retirement in 1970.
The answer to your question is that there have been improvements through TD and LSP series. So many issues have been sorted out.

The current planes are maintainable.

sgarg

LCA Tejas may not be a super-duper plane; but it is a plane built with indian industrial know-how and capability. So this plane is inherently maintainable and supportable.

The question of maintenance hours is logical only when spares are available. India regularly suffers shortage of spares for imported planes. So a plane may be sitting idle for months for want of spares. This is unlikely to happen in case of LCA Tejas. I hope posters get this point.

MANT!

Well, Indian industrial know how is getting better, the HAL HF-24 Marut according to some sources was a bit of a nightmare in the maintainability department.

salute

Well, Indian industrial know how is getting better, the HAL HF-24 Marut according to some sources was a bit of a nightmare in the maintainability department.
maybe, who knows now, it was decades ago when india had nothing,

time changed since then and lca program is different.

saik

nothing is magic.. we have to work our way out from maturing one version over and over to get another. get IAF involved in using the puppy first.. rest happens by way of upgrades and future plans. kaveri is something that must get in to LCA, in whatever form to get that data.. nothing like that.

grampiguy

Prasun Sengupta mentions that LCA MK-1 has problems in agility and even after changing engine to GE F414, this problem will not improve. In fact, only solutions, as per him, are major modifications in the aero structure itself. He mentions the need for either canards or TVC in the engine which is missing in F414. I am wondering why Tamilmani is not talking about it? He can also look at other engines with TVC.
@ersakthivel or @Kunal Biswas any clarification on this issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

sgarg

Prasun Sengupta mentions that LCA MK-1 has problems in agility and even after changing engine to GE F414, this problem will not improve. In fact, only solutions, as per him, are major modifications in the aero structure itself. He mentions the need for either canards or TVC in the engine which is missing in F414. I am wondering why Tamilmani is not talking about it? He can also look at other engines with TVC.
The agility that Prasun Sengupta wants is a thing of the past. It is not needed in the age of BVR missiles.

India is a big and complex country where different people have different opinions. A person is entitled to have his opinion. However it is IAF and GOI who are ultimately going to decide what they want.

IAF has hesitated in ordering LCA Tejas. They must have some reasons. One apparent reason to me is cautious ADA, which has been very slow to open the flight envelope of LCA Tejas. Maybe Tejas can do more, but that may require to relax flight control laws.

I see LCA Tejas as a replacement of Mig-27 currently. Mig-21 is already replaced with Su-30. IAF has 200 Su-30 now which are greater than 600 Mig-21 in overall capability.

If you view LCA Tejas as a bomb truck, your vision will clear. I see LCA Tejas with one laser designator pod, 4 500kg laser bombs or glide bombs, and a centerline fuel tank as one hell of a strike aircraft. The R-73 missiles on the outermost pylons will complete the package.

sgarg

I have written earlier that LCA Tejas (Navy) is suitable for deployment in South India for air defence. South India has important economic assets but very little air defence infrastructure. Considering that an attack can come from sea or from south or east, it makes a lot of sense to protect the peninsular south.

The Navy has different needs compared to IAF (as agility is not as critical in the navy). Navy may need higher range that will come with Mark-2 version.

The additional Su-30 will largely go to north and east, so it makes a lot of sense to expedite LCA Tejas (Navy) and deploy some squadrons in the south.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
The agility that Prasun Sengupta wants is a thing of the past. It is not needed in the age of BVR missiles.

India is a big and complex country where different people have different opinions. A person is entitled to have his opinion. However it is IAF and GOI who are ultimately going to decide what they want.

IAF has hesitated in ordering LCA Tejas. They must have some reasons. One apparent reason to me is cautious ADA, which has been very slow to open the flight envelope of LCA Tejas. Maybe Tejas can do more, but that may require to relax flight control laws.

I see LCA Tejas as a replacement of Mig-27 currently. Mig-21 is already replaced with Su-30. IAF has 200 Su-30 now which are greater than 600 Mig-21 in overall capability.

If you view LCA Tejas as a bomb truck, your vision will clear. I see LCA Tejas with one laser designator pod, 4 500kg laser bombs or glide bombs, and a centerline fuel tank as one hell of a strike aircraft. The R-73 missiles on the outermost pylons will complete the package.
Even tejas mk1 was not seen flying with its top AOA limit of 26 Deg and 8 plus G limits in any flying limits.

its extreme flight envelope is not yet fully opened.

And even within 6G and 20 Deg AOA limit of AeroIndia 2013 it completed a vertical loop within 21 seconds.

Ask Prasun SenGuptha what will be the thrust to weight ratio of tejas mk2 after GE-414 and what is the wing loading and G limit, AOA limit of tejas mk2 after GE-414 ?

And let him compare those figures with contemporary fighters and then we will see what agility problem remains.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Who told Prasoon Senguptha that only canards will fulfill the agility requirement?
Does that mean J-31 is a step down on agility requirement from J-20?

Or
Adding a canard to FGFA and F-35 will increase their agility requirement?

If only canards can fulfill agility requirement why did Russians dropped it in SU-35 and gave it a higher thrust engine than Su-30 MKI for agility requirement?

Won't this way work for tejas mk2 also?

And who told Prasoon Sen guptha that tejas mk1 costs 52 million dollar each?(with ground infra he says it will go up to 7o million dollar plus)!!!

HAL says it costs 26 million dollar per plane. ADA says it is about 30 million dollar.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
What is the tail number of fuselage in this picture?
I have not seen it clearly. I was crossing the road and suddenly this truck came. I stood there in traffic and clicked the pics. People at that place are looking at me like .... whatt !!! :lol:

Later I edited the pics and unfortunately deleted the main pics.

sgarg

Why would they transport the fuselage like this?? Funny. I thought the entire assembly is in one place at HAL Bangalore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles