ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

p2prada

these figures about LCA as shown on HAL site seem grossly wrong as it shows the thrust of the engine to be just 5.6 tons.
5.6 tonnes has been listed as Max thrust. That would mean max military thrust, which is correct. Max Combat Thrust would be 8.5 tonnes to 9 tonnes.

Anyone with very basic knowledge of physics will know the two equations listed below by me, Force = mass x Accelaration, for LCA and Gripen lets take thrust to be equal as 9000kgs of afterburning thrust, T/O wt to be 9000kgs, now applying this formula you will know that both ac will have similar accelaration but LCA will have shorter T/O roll as it has larger wing area and so lower T/O speed.
Now the next equation is (V^2-U^2) = 2 x a x s, this equation gives you the distance travelled to reach a velocity for a particular accelaration or velocity achieved for a given accelaration within a specified distance
Now if we look at LCA & Gripen both have equal accelaration so all other parameters shud also be equal. You need to explain your posts and how do you counter my POV.
I don't have any kind of concrete data for both aircraft. I don't know the take off speeds for either, landing speeds for either, the rate of acceleration or deceleration. I don't even know what AoAs are used for take off and landing of both aircraft. Saying they are all similar for both aircraft is speculating things without any hard data. The lift to drag ratio is lopsided in favour of Gripen according to a friend of mine who designs aircraft for the military. Meaning he pointed out that LCA is very draggy, and he has hard data about LCA. He didn't give me any figures though.

Whatever I posted are official figures though. NATO requires their modern aircraft to operate from 800m and lesser runways.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
5.6 tonnes has been listed as Max thrust. That would mean max military thrust, which is correct. Max Combat Thrust would be 8.5 tonnes to 9 tonnes.

I don't have any kind of concrete data for both aircraft. I don't know the take off speeds for either, landing speeds for either, the rate of acceleration or deceleration. I don't even know what AoAs are used for take off and landing of both aircraft. Saying they are all similar for both aircraft is speculating things without any hard data. The lift to drag ratio is lopsided in favour of Gripen according to a friend of mine who designs aircraft for the military. Meaning he pointed out that LCA is very draggy, and he has hard data about LCA. He didn't give me any figures though.

Whatever I posted are official figures though. NATO requires their modern aircraft to operate from 800m and lesser runways.

You don't have lift to drag ratio for anything,

The physics says lower wing loading provides greater lift to thrust ratio at any flight envelope. So how does that favor grippen. it favors tejas .

No friend of yours is going to change this in the earth's atmosphere.

And it was proven by the LCA Tejas MK-1's display in aeroindia-2013.

No AOA is useful without lift from the wing , First know that.

From the start you don't have concrete data for anything,

All concrete data is available. Deck lander has posted videos of take off of planes on the concrete tarmac ,

What else is needed?

Last edited:

p2prada

pls watch from 03.15 to 03.32
There was a shot change in the video. It is not an accurate measure.

Now clean Gripen-C T/O at FB in clean config which takes 14 seconds.
Then I suppose LCA and Gripen may have similar characteristics unless LCA take off was at full AB which I am not sure of. The LCA acceleration seems to be high and I can't find a similar video for Gripen with camera on board to compare the acceleration.

The distance between the take off point and that big mound in Jaisalmer is 800m. Just checked on Google Maps.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Jaisalmer runway is +3000meters long, there are nearly 45 broken white stripes in middle of Runway ..

Tejas covered 6.5 broken white strips before taking off, That gives 468 meters from taking off position ..

bennedose

1.Even with 6G and 20 deg AOA limitation the LCA has already completed a horizontal loop in Aeroindia demo within 23 seconds. That comes to a STR of close to 16 deg with the limitations of partially opened flight envelope.We don't know whether the plane was stretched even to this partial limit of 6Gs and 20 Deg AOA in that demo.
Shortly before Aero India 2011 (not 2013) Air Marshal Rajkumar had told me that the LCA would probably put up a show up to 7G. In fact in the days before the show on the golf course I saw a spectacular performance that did not appear at the airshow itself. I was later told that the performance was restricted to 5G due to a software glitch. I recorded the whole performance and put it on YouTube and I used the same footage to make this video. No Pakis likes it and video comments say that it has been speeded up. it has not. But I did use the footage that showed the best timing as it varied from performance to performance on different days. But the timing is only for 180 deg horizontal turn and half loop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Decklander

@p2prada, the T/O video of Gripen NG is very clear and it is not for a rolling take off. NG has higher thrust engines that Mk1 yet it has longer take off roll. The data given by @Kunal is best way to calculate the take off distance other than the time taken. But I had also posted the Newtons Laws to prove my point. Those calculations can't go wrong.

Decklander

There was a shot change in the video. It is not an accurate measure.

Then I suppose LCA and Gripen may have similar characteristics unless LCA take off was at full AB which I am not sure of. The LCA acceleration seems to be high and I can't find a similar video for Gripen with camera on board to compare the acceleration.

The distance between the take off point and that big mound in Jaisalmer is 800m. Just checked on Google Maps.
You must have also noticed that the moud is good about 250-300m away when the ac gets airborne. That shud tell you that the data on HAL site is wrong. A fighter ac with 1400m take off roll will rather qualify as a civil transport ac that too with great difficulty. It won't qualify as a military transport also.

p2prada

You must have also noticed that the moud is good about 250-300m away when the ac gets airborne. That shud tell you that the data on HAL site is wrong.
Yeah, I would agree too. The data on the HAL site must be for early prototypes.

That would mean LCA has come a long way since the 2009 air show and 2011 IOC-1.

@p2prada, the T/O video of Gripen NG is very clear and it is not for a rolling take off. NG has higher thrust engines that Mk1 yet it has longer take off roll.
I would take that NG data with a pinch of salt because there was a shot change. Shot change don't happen at the exact moment except in movies. It is very rare to find a real time shot change outside movies.

Anyway it is not clear whether the 12 seconds LCA took off in was in AB mode or mil thrust. I would say the former since the initial acceleration was quite high, it just shoots forward, but I am not sure.

Gripen C takes off in 9 seconds with AB, that's a 500m take off as I mentioned earlier.

This is website has pretty reliable data on the Mirage-2000. Turn rates matches with the energy diagrams released by Dassault for M-2000.
Flight data

If we assume that LCA matches Mirage-2000 then the take off distance on this link is 503m with 2 Magic II missiles. So I am inclined to believe even LCA will be limited to some of Mirage-2000s design specs which leads me to believe the Iron Fist take off was with full AB for LCA.

Anyway, a 500m take off for LCA with AB would match Gripen C's performance in take off distance with AB. Overall I would say Gripen does not have its higher payload capability due to a longer take off distance as you first suggested.

Regardless, both jets are completely overshadowed by Rafale by a large margin, especially considering Rafale's payload is significantly higher. It is the same with Mig-29K which can take off at 190m at MTOW with AB (ramp assisted) or 105m with air to air load.

Btw, I wanted to point out about something in one of your earlier posts about N-LCA Mk1 as a trainer. It was revealed that the Mk1 cannot operate from a carrier due to it being underpowered. So there won't be any training sessions from the carrier using Mk1. It is the same with Gripen C too. Saab admitted Gripen C cannot be used for carrier ops, that's why they presented the Sea Gripen with 120 KN F-414 EPE with thrust vectoring to IN.

Decklander

I would take that NG data with a pinch of salt because there was a shot change. Shot change don't happen at the exact moment except in movies. It is very rare to find a real time shot change outside movies.

Anyway it is not clear whether the 12 seconds LCA took off in was in AB mode or mil thrust. I would say the former since the initial acceleration was quite high, it just shoots forward, but I am not sure.

Gripen C takes off in 9 seconds with AB, that's a 500m take off as I mentioned earlier.

This is website has pretty reliable data on the Mirage-2000. Turn rates matches with the energy diagrams released by Dassault for M-2000.
Flight data

If we assume that LCA matches Mirage-2000 then the take off distance on this link is 503m with 2 Magic II missiles. So I am inclined to believe even LCA will be limited to some of Mirage-2000s design specs which leads me to believe the Iron Fist take off was with full AB for LCA.

Anyway, a 500m take off for LCA with AB would match Gripen C's performance in take off distance with AB. Overall I would say Gripen does not have its higher payload capability due to a longer take off distance as you first suggested.

Regardless, both jets are completely overshadowed by Rafale by a large margin, especially considering Rafale's payload is significantly higher. It is the same with Mig-29K which can take off at 190m at MTOW with AB (ramp assisted) or 105m with air to air load.

Btw, I wanted to point out about something in one of your earlier posts about N-LCA Mk1 as a trainer. It was revealed that the Mk1 cannot operate from a carrier due to it being underpowered. So there won't be any training sessions from the carrier using Mk1. It is the same with Gripen C too. Saab admitted Gripen C cannot be used for carrier ops, that's why they presented the Sea Gripen with 120 KN F-414 EPE with thrust vectoring to IN.
Let me re-re-clarify few of the posts I had on this. The LCA take off in Iron fist is with full AB. You must have noticed the nose wheel compressing down, that is when full mil power is applied, the AB is engaged after brakes release as the brakes can't hold so much of power.
Do not ever compare a deck launch whether ramp or cat launch as the ship always goes into the wind and you have good about 20-25kts of wind on deck. headwind of 20 kts has the same effect as an IAS of 20kts. This results in considerably short take off and landing distances. An ac gets airborne or lands on IAS and not ground speed. So a headwind will result in lower take off and landing rolls.
LCA MK1 IMHO today is as good as Gripen-C with lower load carrying ability. MK2 will be superior to M2K & Gripen NG and will be able to hold its own against any 4.5 gen ac.
N-LCA MK1 will be used to establish Operational flying Training unit for IN like IAF had MOFTU/HOFTU. MK1 is fit for deck service and will be used in the same role as the T-45 Goshawk Trainer of USN. MK1 has very limited weapon load from Deck launch but can carry couple of AAMs+Rocket launchers+practice bombs and has no restriction with about 1.5tons of load to operate from the deck. This can be an ideal platform to teach operations from deck to rookie pilots before they move onto proper sqns.
IN wants to establish its own Pilot training academy and does not want to be at the mercy of IAF. IN will have its own basic trainers soon and it is already replacing Kirans with Hawks for stage-2 and Naval Orientation Flying course. The stage-3 will be only for fighter pilots based on N-LCA MK1.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Increase in Operational Cost of Tejas LCA | idrw.org

The total cost for development of the light combat aircraft Tejas for the Indian Air Force, which includes project definition phase, full scale engineering development programme Phase-I and FSEDP Phase-II, is Rs 7965.56 crore, the Rajya Sabha was told today.

Project Definition Phase (PDP) for development of LCA was sanctioned in August 1983 at a cost of Rs. 560 Cr. After completion of PDP, Full Scale Engineering Development (FSED) Programme Phase-I was sanctioned in April 1993 at a cost of Rs. 2188 Cr (including PDP cost Rs. 560 Cr) with increased scope. FSED Programme Phase-I was successfully completed in March 2004 and technology was demonstrated. FSED Programme Phase-II was sanctioned in November 2001 at a cost of Rs. 3301.78 Cr to build 3 prototypes, 8 Limited Series Production (LSP) aircraft and establish infrastructure for producing 8 aircraft per year. Additional sanction of Rs. 2475.78 Cr was given to meet the financial requirements of FSED Programme Phase-II for induction into Indian Air Force by obtaining IOC and FOC. The total sanctioned cost for development of LCA, Tejas (PDP + FSED Phase-I + FSED Phase-II) is Rs. 7965.56 Cr.

This information was given by Defence Minister Shri AK Antony in a written reply to Shri S. Thangavelu in Rajya Sabha today.
In a written reply, Defence Minister A K Antony said initial operational clearance for the LCA was obtained in January 2011.
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Aeronautical Development Agency and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) are working towards meeting planned schedules for conducting IOC-2 by the end of 2013 and final operational clearance (FOC) by the end of 2014 to make Tejas fully combat worthy, he said.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag

Flight data

All test pilot comments are ,"take offs are much sharper in Tejas mk-1 than in mirage-2000". Since Tejas mk-1 has far lower wingloading and ten percent higher thrust to weight ratio than the Mirage-2000 your statement equating tejas mk-2 with Mirage-2000 is wrong. tejas mk-1 alone is expected to perform better than the Mirage-2000 according to test pilots.Tejas mk-1 has much better fuel fraction as well.

Even when you rake range calculation , it not the fuel load but fuel fraction which determines the range and persistence.

If you want to compare RAFLE do it with Tejas MK-2 which will also have the same Thrust to weight ratio as that of RAFALE.

Tejas mk-2 will have a much better combat. load and range specs than the MIG-29s presently inducted in IN.

because the tejas mk-2 will have a much higher fuel fraction, comparable weapon load along with comparable Thrust to weight ratio.

But the plus point are tejas mk-2 will have a far lower wing loading than the Mig-29 Ks and far lower frontal RCS than the MIg-29s which are older by a generation than the Tejas.

Also tejas mk-2 will have asea and 120 Km range BVR . Thats why IN is funding the development enthusiastically unlike the IAF which is a very reluctant customer .

Navy knows that Tejas mk-2 with same twr as RAFALE will perform as good as RAFALE for it's fleet with far lower operating cost

So it will be the primary naval fighter till naval AMCA arrives.

Last edited:

p2prada

Let me re-re-clarify few of the posts I had on this. The LCA take off in Iron fist is with full AB. You must have noticed the nose wheel compressing down, that is when full mil power is applied, the AB is engaged after brakes release as the brakes can't hold so much of power.
So both are similar in take off capability. So the payload has little to do with take off.

LCA MK1 IMHO today is as good as Gripen-C with lower load carrying ability. MK2 will be superior to M2K & Gripen NG and will be able to hold its own against any 4.5 gen ac.
Sir, let's be realistic and simply compare aircraft vs aircraft without any bias instead of bringing in national pride in between. In terms of raw performance, maybe. But LCA Mk1's avionics are still Mirage-2000 level. Gripen's avionics are networked, fused and integrated. There is simply no comparison there. Apart form that C is 1m longer than Mk1 and D is 2m longer than Mk1.

We know for sure now that irrespective of carrying the same engines on LCA Mk1 and Gripen C, Gripen can carry 1.5 tonnes of greater load and has more usable hardpoints and the obvious access to more weapons, apart from the reliability of having it operated for nearly two decades now.

That's the most irritating point. We are in 2013 and are still trying to make something the Europeans and Americans did in the 80s and 90s and the Russians did not even bother making something like it.

As for Gripen NG, let's be realistic. Yes, with the new engine LCA Mk2 will be able to carry a greater assortment of electronics and radar, but Gripen NG won't be matched by the Mk2. This much is guaranteed. Mk2 won't carry as much fuel or as much payload as NG. The payload requirements for LCA Mk2 is 5 tonnes while for NG it is 7 tonnes. LCA mk2 won't have a drastic increase in fuel while Gripen NG's fuel capacity would be at least 40% more than what's on Gripen C, that's around 3.3 - 3.5 tonnes vs 2.3 tonnes. That's more fuel than what the F-16 can carry even though F-16's F-100 engine has 20% more power than F-414. So there is a small chance that our IMA architecture and sensor fusion may be a match for whatever Gripen NG carries, but NG will beat the Mk2 in terms of range, loiter time, payload and a few others. It is a 15m long aircraft after all.

The differences are quite opposite to each other on both iterations. The avionics on Gripen C is leagues ahead compared to LCA Mk1, but performance is more or less similar. The avionics on NG and Mk2 should be similar while NG surpasses LCA Mk2's performance in some very important parameters.

N-LCA MK1 will be used to establish Operational flying Training unit for IN like IAF had MOFTU/HOFTU. MK1 is fit for deck service and will be used in the same role as the T-45 Goshawk Trainer of USN. MK1 has very limited weapon load from Deck launch but can carry couple of AAMs+Rocket launchers+practice bombs and has no restriction with about 1.5tons of load to operate from the deck. This can be an ideal platform to teach operations from deck to rookie pilots before they move onto proper sqns.
That's plenty for LIFT. I suppose weapons training will still be done on a Mk2 whenever it is ready.

IN wants to establish its own Pilot training academy and does not want to be at the mercy of IAF. IN will have its own basic trainers soon and it is already replacing Kirans with Hawks for stage-2 and Naval Orientation Flying course. The stage-3 will be only for fighter pilots based on N-LCA MK1.
That's really good. I mean I always supported LCA Mk1 to be given a trainer role. It is pretty much the best platform as a LIFT before the pilot moves to a 5th gen platform. Probably something the Air force will do after ADA is done with the 40 LCA MK1s. The very reason why I support joining the American T-X tender whenever it happens. We have both air force and naval trainers for LCA.

Will IN be buying the PC-7/PC-21 or wait for HTT-40?

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
So both are similar in take off capability. So the payload has little to do with take off.

pay load has nothing to do with combat effectiveness comparison.

F-22 carries far lesser pay load than Su-30 MKI.

Does that mean Su-30 MKI is superior to F-22?

Same analogy with a bit lesser magnitude difference,

Tejas mk-1 has less than half the clean config RCS of bithe Grippen C/D and NG due to the presence of rectangular boxy inlets and canards ,

it is an undeniable fact.

Tejas mk-1 will always have a significantly bigger radome dia than Grippen C/D and even Grippen NG.

Agreed that once we put Air to air missiles RCS reflection will increase.

But the difference will always remain.

In any one on one meet even Tejas mk-1 will always detect grippen NG first , lock and launch 120 plus Km (Akash mk-2 will be available for tejas mk-1)range BVR

many seconds before any grippen version manages to obtain radar lock on any tejas version.

The radar ranges may increase , missile engagement zone will increase in future. But the fact is Tejas will always launch the missile first.

Especially if any stealth external weapon pod is available for both the fighter , the significantly lower RCS of tejas will assume even more bigger importance.

SO it is not how much load you carry , but how effectively the load is delivered that matters the most.

Sir, let's be realistic and simply compare aircraft vs aircraft without any bias instead of bringing in national pride in between. In terms of raw performance, maybe. But LCA Mk1's avionics are still Mirage-2000 level. Gripen's avionics are networked, fused and integrated. There is simply no comparison there. Apart form that C is 1m longer than Mk1 and D is 2m longer than Mk1.

The avionic on Russian PAKFA looks exactly the same as that of Tejas mk-1 , Does that mean PAKFA is also having inferior avionics than Mirage-2000 which debuted in 1980s?

This networking and fusing is software job, nothing to do with aerodynamics of the platform,

Once stuff like FOC are finished ADA will deliver all kind of sensor fusion to all IAF fleet fighters whether it be Mig-29 or Tejas or PAKFA if asked.

So no serious handicap this.

Whether we fuse sensors or not , if the tejas mk-1 with a bigger radar and lower RCS detects grippen C/D or Grippen NG first , then it will fire first.

Since all IAF fighters will be sensor fused with scores of AWACS planes , Grippen's sensor fusion won't tilt the battle field.
We know for sure now that irrespective of carrying the same engines on LCA Mk1 and Gripen C, Gripen can carry 1.5 tonnes of greater load and has more usable hardpoints and the obvious access to more weapons, apart from the reliability of having it operated for nearly two decades now.
Once again compared to total lifecycle costs we can always have 30 percent more Tejas number for the same Grippen budget.

So cost wise number of tons of weapon load per million dollar spent will always be favorable for Tejas mk-1.

What we get as bonus is is these tons of weapon loads on air will be delivered by more stealthier and bigger radar plane in very effective manner.

Also you will have 30 percent more radar power and more jamming power per ton of weapon load , for the same budget courtesy higher number of tejas due to lower cost.

Also the fighter that gets fired upon first will always have to take high G turn evasive maneuvers, So most of the time those extra tons on bigger RCS and lower radar powered plane will be jettisoned will evading the long range air to air missile from a lower RCS higer radar powered plane.

That's the most irritating point. We are in 2013 and are still trying to make something the Europeans and Americans did in the 80s and 90s and the Russians did not even bother making something like it.
The most significant strategic achievement is we have achieved one of the bestclass leading RCS , STR , ITR , TWR,solutions all in a single platform , which will replace hundreds of near obsolete MIGs and Jags ,

And once K-10 is developed in decades even the 40 tejas mk-1 will with some modification to air inlet can have a significantly higher weapon load, and a TWR equal to RAFALE , alos in MLU most of the sensor fusion stealth aids and avionics along with folded fin BVRs to be developed for AMCA will all find a place in TEJAS mk-1 and MK-2 making them easily upgradable with latest 5th gen goodies.

It is a very important thing to note, onlt ADA is developing 5th gen AMCA , not SAAB.
As for Gripen NG, let's be realistic. Yes, with the new engine LCA Mk2 will be able to carry a greater assortment of electronics and radar, but Gripen NG won't be matched by the Mk2. This much is guaranteed. Mk2 won't carry as much fuel or as much payload as NG. The payload requirements for LCA Mk2 is 5 tonnes while for NG it is 7 tonnes. LCA mk2 won't have a drastic increase in fuel while Gripen NG's fuel capacity would be at least 40% more than what's on Gripen C, that's around 3.3 - 3.5 tonnes vs 2.3 tonnes. That's more fuel than what the F-16 can carry even though F-16's F-100 engine has 20% more power than F-414. So there is a small chance that our IMA architecture and sensor fusion may be a match for whatever Gripen NG carries, but NG will beat the Mk2 in terms of range, loiter time, payload and a few others. It is a 15m long aircraft after all.
Mk-2 will exceed or on par with Ng.

Why?

Because wheels are being pushed to the side fairings on fuselage ruining the lower drag design profile of grippen NG to cater to more fuel on board.
This is done as there is no other way and it is not a best aerodynamic solution.

But for MK_2 the airframe is lengthened further refining the fuselage length to Diameter ratio leaing to lesser drag airframe than NG to cater to the same 3 plus ton of fuel load.

And in the same way Tejas mk-2 will have lower RCS and higher radome dia as well.

And by the time MK_2 is delivered the sensor fusion and avionics on it will be far better than MK-1.

15 meter long fighter will have a higher empty weight ruining crucial combat TWR, STR and ITR figures as well.

So in no way we can write off mk-2 in a knee jerk manner.
The differences are quite opposite to each other on both iterations. The avionics on Gripen C is leagues ahead compared to LCA Mk1, but performance is more or less similar. The avionics on NG and Mk2 should be similar while NG surpasses LCA Mk2's performance in some very important parameters.

That's plenty for LIFT. I suppose weapons training will still be done on a Mk2 whenever it is ready.

That's really good. I mean I always supported LCA Mk1 to be given a trainer role. It is pretty much the best platform as a LIFT before the pilot moves to a 5th gen platform. Probably something the Air force will do after ADA is done with the 40 LCA MK1s. The very reason why I support joining the American T-X tender whenever it happens. We have both air force and naval trainers for LCA.

Will IN be buying the PC-7/PC-21 or wait for HTT-40?
]LCA mk-1 will always detect grippen C/D first with lower RCS and a bigger radome dia radar. So -nobody is leagues ahead of anybody.

No one denies barebone Tejas mk-1's airframe's LIFT potential, In the same manner no one denies the Griipen barebone airframe's LIFT potential either.

If 30 or 40 MK-1s are produced a year we can cater to LIFT needs of IAF and other nations, But our stingy MOD with a myopic tunnel vision is asking HAl to produce only 8 LCA mk-1s per year. Whose fault is that?

Last edited:

rvjpheonix

Country flag
latest tejas video

[video]https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10200353920231399" width="1280" height="720" frameborder="0">[/video]
Amazing video! The best so far. Its starting to look like a truly mature system. It did everything .Flew with a heavy load, dropped tanks and bombs, shot missiles, loved it!! Cant wait for IOC 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles