ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

p2prada

Another dull escapist comment, so the rest of India does not mean anything? All the other fields means nothing to the nation as a whole then.

Without sacrifice and risk there is no life, it is better to bet on Indian stuff and refine them rather than buy Russian stuff and then fix all the teething problems. I rather fix the teething problems of an Indian tank than a Russian tank.
A weapon is made to kill, not feed you. Of course, you can fix your tank and aircraft for all I care. My team is the services. There is no equivalent system in our country that has been equally successful and has displayed high levels of professionalism. They are doing a way better job anyway.

You are generalizing something that is of no concern to me or the army or this forum. See ya.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
A weapon is made to kill, not feed you. Of course, you can fix your tank and aircraft for all I care. My team is the services. There is no equivalent system in our country that has been equally successful and has displayed high levels of professionalism. They are doing a way better job anyway.

You are generalizing something that is of no concern to me or the army or this forum. See ya.
I have no problems with your POV, your free to say what you want or think what your want. I welcome that but to talk with confidence in condemning and show the same confidence in foreign goods and not showing any critical thinking towards those foreign goods is what tips a lot of people of here.

Last time you said the Volvo engine on the Gripen was made for the Gripen and it covered the development cost! You sound so confident even when your wrong, you better shape up in the way you talk. You dont know more than us and so you have no right to sound so close minded and putting full stops to discussions with negative assertions.

Immanuel

Country flag
MLUs will happen immediately after 2020 and not 2030. AESA isn't part of the Mk2. It will come in MLUs or possibly in the last batch of the production model.

Work hasn't even started on our own AESA, it will take us 5 to 8 years to build a prototype and start limited production. Pretty much 2020 before we can have a fully functional AESA.

You really don't know anything about aerodynamics. Power isn't everything. There is a reason why the Gripen C needs lesser power than LCA and it still flies better than LCA.

The Jag has high wing loading and needs lesser power than LCA in it's role. It is not a high altitude interceptor like the LCA or Mirage-2000. Even the Mirage-2000 is bad in strike roles compared to Jaguar in plains. It only achieves decent capability in high altitudes or performing strike roles in high altitudes.

The Jag is better than the MKI in strike role as well.

The biggest problem with EPE would be fuel consumption. The thrust is too much and the tanks too small. Rafale, EF can have high thrust engines because they can carry external fuel and still be as capable as the LCA without fuel tanks and at greater distances. If the LCA is given fuel tanks, it cannot carry anything worthwhile.

Also if the engines are too powerful, the airframe may not be able to handle the stress, you may have to the dump the LCA if it reaches full military thrust in the first flight itself.

You don't have to argue about it. The LCA will only have the 98KN version of the F414, not more.
firstly stop using the word MLU, it stands for mid life upgrade, for LCA will happen only mid life which is a good 15 years or more away. the only upgrade that will happen in 2020 is the lca mk-1 which will recieve the AESA which is already on board the lca mk-2. There is ample info out there that says lca mk-2 will have AESA, even DRDO says it, so i would rather believe them than you, you have no proof. Whether work has started on our own AESA or not is not the point, the pont is AESA will be onboard the lca mk-2 early during protytpe testing, now whether its a fully foreign AESA or hybrid one built with help from Issy is still to be seen, eitherways, it will have an AESA.

Gripen C and LCA have almost the same engine and LCA is lighter, LCA flies just as good or even better than the Gripen C. Gripen c's turns may be slightly tighter due to canards, apart from that i am pretty sure LCA beats it in acceleration, climbs and agility. Besides LCA's full envelope hasn't been opened up yet and already it flies very well.

sure i may know little about aerodynamics, but you who claim to know much still talk drivel. Jag is a strike aircarft, it wasn't designed for interception, LCA is a multirole aircraft, now it has proven sea level flights in Goa and has even clocked speeds of 1350km at low alt. Now how the flying ***k does it matter if Jag has a higher wing loading and LCA doesn't. LCA will still fly in low, hit its targets and scoot. Same goes for the MKI, just because its wing loading is high doesnt mean it can't perform a low alt. mission. How is a JAG better than MKI at low alt? when an Mki carrying more weapons can hit more targets in a single pass, has far better avionics which allows it to avoid air defences. JAG is no doubt a wonderful aircraft but its limited to strike missions, LCA is multirole, it will perform all missions whether low level or high, it will find its target and kill.

all the crap about Gripen being better than LCA in all envelopes is also pure hog wash. LCA was tested in far more demanding climate from burning 50 degree heat soaks to over night -30 to -40 degree cold soaks Leh at such a high alt., LCA's flight testing on any day is far more demanding than the Gripen and a lot of other flight test programs.

And all the junk about not meeting ASR is also pure hog wash, LCA since its dawn has had to meet some of the most strigent requirements put on such a tiny fighter with such little weight, it still remains the world smallest supersonic jet fighter, well on its way to becoming one of the finest jets ever made.

LCA is not made from balsa wood that one high g turn with EPE would tear in to pieces, it has one of the highest amount of Carbon re-enforced composites which are very tough and sturdy materials, again all that junk about airframe not withstanding such stress can be said about Rafale or EF or even mki with engine growth possibilities. Just like EPE for Gripen NG is possible a Tejas with EPE is also possible during real mlu. The EPE gives added thrust with a small reduction in fuel burn, furthermore F414 is using new Ceramic for core components which will shed weight by over 200 kgs per engine, it will actually be lighter.

Last edited:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Numbers are quite better than blased belie. Numbers and specs aren't everything. The Gripen is a wholly superior design compared to the LCA. It has superior flight characteristics compared to LCA in every flight regime. Even with low wing loading the Gripen is faster than the LCA in all altitudes.

In laymans understanding it's like comparing the Honda Unicorn to the Bajaj Pulsar. The specs are all the same. But quality of the Honda, the life, fuel efficiency etc is all better than the Bajaj.

The NG only develops on an already superlative design. It is a far superior product to the LCA simply because the Swedes have more experience.
And you are still stuck with 'west is best' . LCA MK-1 has inferior performance than Gripen C/D and i have already explained why. Needless to repeat again that MK-2 is doing away with all these problems and getting extra teeth as well.

Bajaj Pulser and Honda Unicorn. Oh! some believe in that theory but bike lovers don't love Pulser for pamphlet superiority but for performance on road and Pulser DTS-i 150 cc ousting mono suspension and blah blah Unicorn from 150 segment says all. Now curse Indian Boys for bad choice.

As for this, the Swedish climate is much worse than the LCA's operating environment like Bangalore where it is being tested.

Also it is the opposite. Colder stands for decreased performance while hotter stands for increased performance because of air density. And when I say colder, I mean to say the ice cold temperatures of Sweden as compared to Bangalore's 26deg C average temperature.

The Gripen was built and tested in a much more demanding environment than LCA. Bangalore is at a higher altitude so, the 3.5 tons payload is decreased to 3 tons along with a 20% decrease in thrust due to a less denser air. Comparatively the Swedish air isn't as dense as Bangalores.

Gripen uses SAF data while LCA uses ADA data. I believe the SAF data would be more accurate. ADA used to use false data or you could say the end goal designs about LCA until recently when it did not meet performance parameters.

As an operational fighter, the Gripen's data is not objectionable as compared to LCA's untested data.
Ambient temperature is inversely proportional to engine thrust, in other words higher the temperature lower the thrust. Gripen taking of from Lickoping and one that from Nalia won't have same thrust from the engine and later will experience a significant reduction in flight performance.

Besides, Sweden does not has as worse/diverse climate than India for a Jet fighter. Sweden best have cold temperate to polar regions but India has almost all types (excluding polar) one can imagine of. IAF/NFTC has tested LCA in almost all regions and performance chart has been prepared as per that. In contrast Gripen fact chart has lot to do with SAF operational record and SAF don't have FOBs in deserts (Nalia), humid tropical regions(kalaikunda), hot coastal regions (NAS Goa) and high altitude (Leh). Temperate at the Tarmak has lot to do with combat payload and fuel load and any change affects flight performance and combat effectiveness significantly.

LCA payload figures did not dipped to 3.5 t from 4 t after flight tests in Bangalore but after sea level test flights and hot weather trials and had much to do with actual thrust in hot and humid environment.

And the point was and is, Gripen NG with 6500 t payload will see a significant reduction when operating in Indian conditions and that the difference in performance in comparison with proposed LCA MK-2 would become irrelevant.

For all those technological and blah blah blah superiority, one should keep in mind that LCA MK-2 will get best electronics sourced from entire globe and what present in Gripen NG might also fall in MK-2, in same or better form.

This is no JF-17 with 100% made in china avionics suit and weapons, as no choice option, this is LCA MK-2 which can choose from APGs to EL/Ms to CAPTORs to RBEs to Selex and associated weapon package.

Like to repeat again, with equally or more powerful engine, refined & bettered aerodynamics, best available avionics and weapon suit, LCA MK-2 would get so close to Gripen NG's performance (in Indian conditions) that all the claimed advantage with NG would become irrelevant.

Last edited:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
@p2prada Thank you for being un-bias and not feeding people some real bs..
It is unfortunate how people assume we can build the best stuff without any real proof of achievement.
Many without even a quarter of the experience of Thomas Alva Edition developed bulbs without failing even quarter times the great genius failed. Does it mean those people were more intelligent than Edition? Also does it mean that to be successful one has to be more intelligent than inventor?

USA failed miserably in developing a reliable 120 mm gun for MBT ABRAMS (despite all those experience and expertize one can imagine of) and had to ultimately import one from Germany. But in contrast, India (despite being 100 time less experienced than USA) developed a reliable, accurate and lethal gun for its MBT Arjun. Does it mean India is ahead of USA ? Answer is No. But does it mean India's success is a myth because we are behind USA?

Last edited:

p2prada

@Immanuel and Rahul

Why don't we let time speak for the LCA?

Anyway as for ambient temp and thrust. Yes. It does, but the difference isn't too much since other factors are also involved. Air density also plays a role. The figure derived for LCA was at Bangalore and nowhere else. Let's not forget the Mk1 has been FBW locked to 8G maneuvers only and payload has been decreased due to increase in design empty weight.

If temperature is high, density is high. If temperature is low, density is low. So, it evens the odds.

You can't just say Gripen's figures are from the arctic circle and LCA's are from Rajasthan and just end it.

Gripen is a superior fighter. It is a simple fact, not difficult to stomach. The Americans agree the Flanker is superior to the F-15, so why jingoism?

As for Pulsar and Honda. I have both. And I don't need to support Honda, my Pulsar friends already do. A conversation goes this way --- Friend: Dude my bike's giving problems how's your bike doing? Me: Dude I ride a Honda. Friend: Oh Yeah! Fvk. My bad!
Gave my bike for servicing only 3 times in the last 4 years finishing 30000Km. As smooth as butter. :becky:

You know how it works. Friends buy bikes together when all are young. After 4 or 5 years maintenance is an issue and all those with Pulsars have already bought new bikes or advanced to dad's old cars. Unicorn still running strong. It's just a sensible buy. Pulsar has a better pick up, but the difference is too small if you consider the acceleration is more or less the same. The torque does not fluctuate as much as the Pulsar. Weight Balance on Unicorn is the best feature. You can hold it with one hand from the front or the back, the weight will seem the same.

As for sales figures as a parameter for comparison, in the same respect the T-90 has more sales than Arjun. Cheers. Sorry for the cheap shot, but you needn't have started it.

sathya

Country flag
Structural changes would make it an all new aircraft and will require all the testing all over again. Minor changes are acceptable.
one genuine question : (thats my actual question )

how much time this minor changes are taking ?
how time would significant improvements take ?

rahulrds1

p2p regarding previous post "http://defenceforumindia.com/indian-army/9558-arjun-mbt-thread-ii-arjun-mbt-order-60.html#post289233"

i.e.
About LCA/Arujun Mk2, We can say,

"The moment you think of giving up...., think about the reason why you held on for so long"

=============================================================================
You reply to this was,

That does not make sense. That is meant for relationships and attitude, not tank projects.

Why don't you read about MBT-70 and figure out why the Germans and Americans abandoned the project after 10 years instead of continuing like a bunch of headless chickens?

Anyway I was never talking about cancelling the projects. I always supported having DRDO continue the projects in order to build a military industrial complex. But I did not want the services to induct half finished products and suffer for DRDO's mistakes.

The Arjun Mk1 sucks and the LCA Mk1 is worse. The Mk2 versions have rectified a lot of the problems, but even they aren't far from being right up there. The services requirements have changed with modern times but DRDO is not able to deliver yet.

==============================================================================
p2prada
By reading following lines you decide in which category of people you are,

Few Lines from a World's Best Seller book Shiv Khera "You Can Win!"
Can be applied to few people who always Criticize

Negative People will Always Criticize

Some people criticize no matter what. It does not matter which side you are on, they are always on the other side. They have made a career out of criticizing. They are "career critics." They criticize as if they will win a prize at a contest. They will find fault with every person and every situation. You will find people like this in every home, family, office. They go around finding fault and telling everybody how bad things are and blaming the whole world for their problems. We have a name for these people. They are called energy suckers. They will go to the cafeteria and drown themselves in 20 cups of tea and coffee and smoke to their hearts' content with one excuse: they are trying to relax. All that they are doing is causing more tension for themselves and for others around them. They spread negative messages like a plague and create an environment conducive to negative results.

Robert Fulton invented the steamboat. On the banks of the Hudson River he was displaying his new invention. The pessimists and the skeptics were gathered around to observe. They commented that it would never start. Lo and behold, it did. As it made its way down the river, the pessimists who said it would never go, started shouting that it would never stop. What an attitude!

SOME PEOPLE ALWAYS LOOK FOR THE NEGATIVE

There was a hunter who bought a bird dog, the only one of its kind in the world. That could walk on water . He couldn't believe his eyes when he saw this miracle. At the same time, he was very pleased that he could show off his new acquisition to his friends. He invited a friend to go duck hunting. After some time, they shot a few ducks and the man ordered his dog to run and fetch the birds. All day-long, the dog ran on water and kept fetching the birds. The owner was expecting a comment or a compliment about his amazing dog, but never got one. As they were returning home, he asked his friend if he had noticed anything unusual about his dog. The friend replied, "Yes, in fact, I did notice something unusual. Your dog can't swim."

Some people always look at the negative side. Who is pessimist? Pessimists

"¢are unhappy when they have no troubles to speak
"¢ feel bad when they feel good, for fear they will feel worse when they feel better
"¢ spend most of their life at complaint counters
"¢ always turn out the lights to see how dark it is
"¢ are always looking for cracks in the mirror of life
"¢ stop sleeping in bed when they hear that more people die in bed than anywhere else
"¢ cannot enjoy their health because they think they may be sick tomorrow
"¢ not only expect the worst but make the worst of whatever happens
"¢ don't see the doughnut, only the hole
"¢ believe that the sun shines only to cast shadows
"¢ forget their blessings and count their troubles
"¢ know that hard work never hurts anyone but believe "why take a chance?"

Who is an optimist? It is well described by the following:

"¢Be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
"¢Talk health, happiness, and prosperity to every person you meet.
"¢Make all your friends feel there is something in them.
"¢Look at the sunny side of everything.
"¢Think only of the best, work only for the best, and expect only the best.
"¢Be as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
"¢Forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
"¢Give everyone a smile. Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.
"¢Be too big for worry and too noble for anger.*

Immanuel

Country flag
LCA's current flawless test flight program is indeed speaking for itself, ASR have changed many times often leaving DRDO trying to catch up and they are doing a good job with LCA. LCA is bound to a be a stunning success, it already is.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Why don't we let time speak for the LCA?

Anyway as for ambient temp and thrust. Yes. It does, but the difference isn't too much since other factors are also involved. Air density also plays a role. The figure derived for LCA was at Bangalore and nowhere else. Let's not forget the Mk1 has been FBW locked to 8G maneuvers only and payload has been decreased due to increase in design empty weight.

If temperature is high, density is high. If temperature is low, density is low. So, it evens the odds.

You can't just say Gripen's figures are from the arctic circle and LCA's are from Rajasthan and just end it.

Gripen is a superior fighter. It is a simple fact, not difficult to stomach. The Americans agree the Flanker is superior to the F-15, so why jingoism?
I second on "let time tell" as no one else can.

Yes indeed other factors do play role and air density is one. But opposite to you belief Air Density is inversely proportion to Temperature. So if temperature is high, density is low and if temperature is low, density is high. However this theory works upto certain altitude but most of FOBs fall in that range except one like LEH and its type (if any).

BTW what made you think that LCA facts figures are as per testing from Bangalore only? Why the hell NFTC flew LCA to all those different FOBs? And FYI LCAs FBW doesn't have 8g as max, instead it's 6g as of today and will remain as such until LSP-7/8 makes to air.

Yes Gripen NG is a superior fighter but in Indian conditions, in comparison to MK-2, its superiority would dip to such level that it would become nothing but irrelevant. And no jingoism by the way, i am not saying LCA MK-2 is going to be superior to Gripen NG. All i am saying that performance margin between NG and MK-2 would be so less that in comparison NG would only be 'little better fighter' not superior.

As for Pulsar and Honda. I have both. And I don't need to support Honda, my Pulsar friends already do. A conversation goes this way --- Friend: Dude my bike's giving problems how's your bike doing? Me: Dude I ride a Honda. Friend: Oh Yeah! Fvk. My bad!
Gave my bike for servicing only 3 times in the last 4 years finishing 30000Km. As smooth as butter. :becky:

You know how it works. Friends buy bikes together when all are young. After 4 or 5 years maintenance is an issue and all those with Pulsars have already bought new bikes or advanced to dad's old cars. Unicorn still running strong. It's just a sensible buy. Pulsar has a better pick up, but the difference is too small if you consider the acceleration is more or less the same. The torque does not fluctuate as much as the Pulsar. Weight Balance on Unicorn is the best feature. You can hold it with one hand from the front or the back, the weight will seem the same.

As for sales figures as a parameter for comparison, in the same respect the T-90 has more sales than Arjun. Cheers. Sorry for the cheap shot, but you needn't have started it.
A confession to make. I bought Unicorn for the same mentality but did away with it and bought Pulser and loved it ever since. And rest is just personal experience, just like yours.

Regarding T-90 sell figure in comparison to Arjun. Like to sum up in little. Arjun is about 20% costlier than T-90 and sells less than T-90. Pulser costs same as Unicorn and yet it sells hell times more than Unicorn in Indian market which is far cost/price sensitive than any. Cheers! So glad i brought it in.

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
What discussion do you expect when you think in terms of bikes!! My bike Honda so LCA is bad because its like Pulsar! Aiyo aiyo aiyo, ram ram ram... :doh:

What do you say about some members level of understanding! :brick:

By the way i had an Royal Enfield Thunder bird and i had no problems either!

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
one genuine question : (thats my actual question )

how much time this minor changes are taking ?
how time would significant improvements take ?
Extensive re-engineering requirement could trigger a weight spiral, something the LCA is already plagued with.

Planned upggrades will be.

Higher Thrust Engine
Structural Weight Reduction
Aerodynamic Improvements
Upgrade of Flight Control Computer
Electronic Warfare Suite
Avionics Upgrade
In flight refuelling retractable probe
On board oxygen generation system
Increased fuel capacity.

All this will take 2years from now but i think it could have been done faster but with LCA Mk1 in serial production HAL has its hands full to do it much faster and also the government is not investing enough to speed up the process.

sathya

Country flag
but GE will start delivery of engines only in 2014 ... and TOT thereafter..

i ll very happy if mk 2 prototype flies in 2014... and inducted in 2016..

thats 5 yrs time...

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
but GE will start delivery of engines only in 2014 ... and TOT thereafter..

i ll very happy if mk 2 prototype flies in 2014... and inducted in 2016..

thats 5 yrs time...

the f-414 was chosen becoz it does not require major chances to the airframe because it is based on the f-404 engine, so it would fit pretty much like a glove and i am sure they will lend an engine for testing. They need to speed up the production rate of Tejas, currently is it is very slow.

sathya

Country flag
Muthanna is Tejas Flight Test Centre chief
The National Flight Test Centre (NFTC) set-up exclusively for India's light combat aircraft (LCA) programme Tejas has got a new chief. According to sources Air Cmdr Muthnanna (initials not known) is the new NFTC chief and his designation will be project director (flight test) -- PD (FT). He was part of IAF's Project Management Team (PMT), operating out of the ADA campus in Bangalore. Sources say that he was PD (Ops) before assuming the office of PD(FT) on July 1. Muthanna takes over the mantle of NFTC at a time when the Tejas programme is terribly running behind the schedule. There were no major developments post-Aero India 2011 (February) with most platforms down for servicing. Top it all, the weather is acting against carrying out further flight trials. LSP-7, LSP-8 and NP-1 are next in line for their maiden flights, though many deadlines were set, have come, gone and forgotten. Now, the months of September, October, November and December promises some action.
Muthanna's predecessor Air Cmdr Rohit Verma -- quit the top NFTC post on July 8 (his last working day) after IAF refused to give him his AVM promotion twice. Though insiders say that the programme would go on (and it should), there are some sections upset with all these sudden developments.
More on Muthanna, his men, machines and missions soon on Tarmak007.

Parthy

Air Warrior
IAF forced to fly MiG-21s till 2017 due to Tejas delay

Aging MiG-21 fighters, which virtually have the highest landing and take-off speed in the world at 340kmph, have snuffed out another young life in IAF.

Flying Officer Suraj Pillai, 24, was on a training mission when his MiG-21 went down at the Nal airbase near Bikaner in Rajasthan on Tuesday. Still to fully learn the intricate art of combat flying, which is inherently dangerous, Pillai apparently overshot the runway during "the landing phase". He had no time to eject safely.

The first supersonic fighter to be inducted by India in 1963, the MiG-21's track record has been besmirched by a high crash rate. Pillai was flying a "Type-96" variant of the MiG-21s, the four remaining squadrons of which retire in another couple of years.

The indigenous aircraft has been in the making for 27 years

NEW DELHI: The MiG-21 fighter jet, which has provided stellar service to the country, has been dubbed the flying coffin due to its high crash rate.

The figures are simply chilling. Of the 793 MiG-21 s inducted into IAF since 1963, well over 350 have been lost in accidents, killing about 170 pilots . The horrific crash rate of earlier decades has been controlled to a large extent but IAF will be forced to fly the upgraded MiG-21 "Bisons" till 2017 because of the huge delay in the development of the indigenous Tejas light combat aircraft (LCA), which is over 27 years in the making.

Most accidents of the single-engine MiG-21 s, which are of the 1960s design vintage without modern systems like FADEC (full authority digital electronic controls) and mission computers, occur during take-off and landing. "A MiG-21 's rate of descent is around 8 metres per second-... the touch-down speed is phenomenal," said an officer.

Then, there is inadequate transitional training, shoddy quality control on supply of spares, poor servicing and maintenance, all of which add up to ensure flying the highly-demanding MiG-21 s remains a risky proposition.

Though IAF has been progressively "number-plating" older MiG-21 variants, it has had to go very slow because of the inordinate delay in Tejas, the first squadron of which is now slated to become fully operational only by 2013 or so.

The around 110 MiG-21 "Bisons" in IAF combat fleet, which were earlier upgraded with new avionics, improved gearboxes and cockpits, and the capability to fire some BVR (beyond-visual range) missiles, will remain in operation till 2017.

This is the second crash of a MiG-21 this year. A MiG-21 'Bison' had crashed in Madhya Pradesh's Sheopur district after an engine problem in February, but the pilot had then managed to eject safely.

IAF has recorded 25 fighter crashes in the last three years, killing five pilots and as many civilians. Of them, over a dozen were MiG-21s.

After a major dip in the crash rate between 2003 and 2006, the armed forces are once again grappling with a high crash rate. In just the last three years, for instance, there have been over 65 crashes of fighters, transport aircraft and helicopters. Almost 60 military personnel, apart from several civilians, have been killed in these crashes.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/IAF-forced-to-fly-MiG-21s-till-2017-due-to-Tejas-delay/articleshow/9461952.cms - TOI

Parthy

Air Warrior
IAF to induct two Tejas Mk-I aircraft by March 2012: Antony

Indian Air Force has ordered 40 Tejas Mark-I aircraft and two such planes would be ready for induction by March 2012, Defence Minister A K Antony said.

"Initial Operational Clearance (IOC) for Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), Tejas has been completed in December 2010. So far 1,659 flight tests have been completed. IAF has ordered 40 Tejas Mk-I aircraft. Two aircraft will be ready by March 2012 for induction," Antony informed the Lok Sabha on Monday.

Replying to a question, he said that out of the 40 aircraft ordered by IAF, 20 were ordered under IOC standards, while the rest were requisitioned as per the Final Operational Clearance (FOC) standards.

A total of Rs 5,777 crore has been sanctioned for the development of the indigenous LCA programme for the IAF, he said.

"LCA, Tejas Phase-II Programme (IAF version) was sanctioned in November 2001 at a cost of Rs 3301.78 crore with probable date of completion of December 2008. The project is likely to be completed by December 2012 with an additional cost of Rs 2475.78 crore," Antony noted.

The additional cost is to meet the expanded scope of the programme, increased cost of materials, manpower, maintenance of facilities and others, he said.

Phased development approach has been changed to concurrent development approach.

"Annual Review by Raksha Mantri, review by Secretary, Department of Defence Research and Development and quarterly review by Deputy Chief of Air Staff are being regularly carried out to check the delay in completion of project," he added.

IAF to induct two Tejas Mk-I aircraft by March 2012: Antony - Brahmand.com

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Dear Nitesh,

I hope you remember the debate we had about 3 years ago now where you'd maintained that the LCA would be ready by 2010-2011 and I'd said that it'd take 2012 atleast.

http://defenceforumindia.com/documentary/1-ada-tejas-lca-news-discussions-7.html

Please read post #53 onward in case you can't recollect. I guess it'd be right to assume, in the light of CREDIBLE reports coming out that my stand has been vindicated. Wouldn't you say?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Dear Nitesh,

I hope you remember the debate we had about 3 years ago now where you'd maintained that the LCA would be ready by 2010-2011 and I'd said that it'd take 2012 atleast.

http://defenceforumindia.com/documentary/1-ada-tejas-lca-news-discussions-7.html

Please read post #53 onward in case you can't recollect. I guess it'd be right to assume, in the light of CREDIBLE reports coming out that my stand has been vindicated. Wouldn't you say?
LCA has got IOC in 2011, what's your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles