INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Gessler

Country flag
The wooden frame is NOT a problem!

Firstly, the barrels for such sniper rifles are 'floating' - which means that the barrels do not touch the frame.....there's an air gap. So minor warps (if any) do not affect the performance.

Secondly, the warp of wood is in very predictable direction. The wood could be fashioned in a way that it warps AWAY from the barrel.
Barrel isn't the issue, the receiver is. Barrels on sniper rifles are typically free-floated yes, but the receiver always has to be firmly bedded in the frame/stock. It won't matter what direction the wood is warping when it is in contact with the component (receiver), as any direction will mean it will slightly unseat the receiver from its original position.

It's no use free-floating the barrel when the chamber itself is being warped out of position.

And a very slight deviation here translates into a very significant deviation at long range. It's the reason US forces decided to ditch wooden furniture on their sniper rifles only an year into Vietnam. And believe me, once our CAPFs/State Police STFs start seeing some extended use of this OFB sniper in the jungles against Maoists, they will arrive at similar conclusions.

It's likely that the 'polymer' tech that OFB has is not as advanced as its western counterparts (strong & not brittle), that why they must have chosen an alternative that they're comfortable with.
No actually. OFB makes fiberglass/polymer components just fine. Look at their 12 gauge shotgun, the newer rifles, the new MAG copies.

The reason why this rifle has wood is as I stated - it was required to do so in the original Army requirement (if I recall correctly). At the time I believe it was said they feel wooden furniture is more robust toward breakage or rough use, hence specified.

However, it's clear Army had a realization in the meantime. Maybe they learnt some things in from the Victrix/Barrett representatives they had to have been in conversation with for a significant time when they were evaluating their rifles? Who knows.

Large number of SIGs have already been inducted.........
716s? Where?

Enquirer

Barrel isn't the issue, the receiver is. Barrels on sniper rifles are typically free-floated yes, but the receiver always has to be firmly bedded in the frame/stock. It won't matter what direction the wood is warping when it is in contact with the component (receiver), as any direction will mean it will slightly unseat the receiver from its original position.

It's no use free-floating the barrel when the chamber itself is being warped out of position.

And a very slight deviation here translates into a very significant deviation at long range. It's the reason US forces decided to ditch wooden furniture on their sniper rifles only an year into Vietnam. And believe me, once our CAPFs/State Police STFs start seeing some extended use of this OFB sniper in the jungles against Maoists, they will arrive at similar conclusions.
I think you just made that up :)
The furnishing/receiver contact point hardly influences the trajectory of the bullet.

No actually. OFB makes fiberglass/polymer components just fine. Look at their 12 gauge shotgun, the newer rifles, the new MAG copies.

The reason why this rifle has wood is as I stated - it was required to do so in the original Army requirement (if I recall correctly). At the time I believe it was said they feel wooden furniture is more robust toward breakage or rough use, hence specified.
That's what I said too....

Kchontha

Country flag
It will pass the rigourous Indian army test, but it will miss by one bullet or two, and then it will go to capf, state police, coast guards and cisf etc etc...

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Gautam Sarkar

Country flag
Expert log!!!
Is that a machined UPPER for R2?
The word upper is generally short for upper receiver, which combines with the lower receiver to form the whole thing. These words are normally associated with AR family of rifles or rifles that have a similar construction to the AR(like say SCAR).

The R2 is based on the AK family so the word Upper isn't appropriate here. AR series of rifles and its clones have a receiver and a dust cover.

To answer your question, yes it is a machined receiver(can also be called a milled receiver). The receiver is made out of a single piece of metal. The other way of making receivers in stamping sheets of metal(called stamped reciever), you can clearly see the Ghatak has a stamped receiver.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
OFB's 7.62×51 rifle with SLR magazine. • 15 such rifles have been made, currently undergoing trials. • 5 more rifles to be sent to Mhow for further trials, this August. INDRA Networks at International Police Expo 2019
Does anyone else think that OFB should start displaying their rifles with accessories? A foregrip and a sight in R2’s case...

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
The (Joint Venture Protective Carbine) JVPC won't replace the 9mm OFB Carbine of Indian Army, instead INSAS 1C (new variant) will. INDRA Networks at International Police Expo 2019
Then how come OFB is manufacturing around 2600 JVPC ?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles