INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

abingdonboy

Country flag
According to Saurav Jha, Galil ACE 52 is the rifle to watch out for as far as the fast track 7.62 x 51 mm procurement for the Army is concerned. Whereas, OFB's R-2 7.62 x 51 mm rifle has demonstrated a satisfactory stoppage rate. (2400 rounds with 3 carbon cleanings)
Will be absurd to select Galil with OFB 7.62 NATO rifle pretty much matching it in terms of performance, they are very similar concepts (AK derived hybrids), why throw billions of USD down the drain for a foreign rifle?

India will be laughing stocks operating 2 different rifles in 1 army and this will be even more stupid if the Galil and OFB 7.62 NATO are in service, they will be nearly identical.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Will be absurd to select Galil with OFB 7.62 NATO rifle pretty much matching it in terms of performance, they are very similar concepts (AK derived hybrids), why throw billions of USD down the drain for a foreign rifle?

India will be laughing stocks operating 2 different rifles in 1 army and this will be even more stupid if the Galil and OFB 7.62 NATO are in service, they will be nearly identical.
Army is hell-bent on getting it from outside. Even DM had to say we can not cross the thin line. Why I don't get it. Maybe there is something beyond a technical purchase. Something with respect to relations with Isreal.

Besides, one thing is sure more than 50% of IA AR will be replaced by AR-2. That will certainly give IWI Galil an acid test considering it has same technical specifications but considerably higher cost. Hope OFB does not fail at mass production.

Still, it will be a waste of taxpayers money.

Last edited:

Flame Thrower

Plus now it probably has World's lowest recoil, for a 7.62×51, with THAT muzzle break...
Wow.......

Any source.......

When I asked OFB folks about 7.62*51 recoil, they said that it is a 7.62*51 and recoil will be high compared to others(maybe other rounds).

Didn't talk much about progress or testing.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Wow.......

Any source.......

When I asked OFB folks about 7.62*51 recoil, they said that it is a 7.62*51 and recoil will be high compared to others(maybe other rounds).

Didn't talk much about progress or testing.
Sorry, no. That's why i used "probably"...
I speculated, because that new muzzle brake on it, is the most formidable looking one i've ever seen on any 7.62×51!

I could be wrong, but it is a possibility... Army did stress on lowering of the recoil.
From firing videos, it seemed (to many here, not just me) that the earlier one already had recoil similar/better compared to most of its contemporaries.

It's likely that he meant, compared other rounds.

Last edited:

abingdonboy

Country flag
Sorry, no. That's why i used "probably"...
I speculated, because that new muzzle brake on it, is the most formidable looking one i've ever seen on any 7.62×51!

I could be wrong, but it is a possibility... Army did stress on lowering of the recoil.
From firing videos, it seemed (to many here, not just me) that the earlier one already had recoil similar/better compared to most of its contemporaries.

It's likely that he meant, compared other rounds.
Don’t understand the outcry that excised before, the recoil on the firs protoypes looked as good if not better than any other 7.62*51 rifle, I think many fail to understand how powerful that round is.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Don’t understand the outcry that excised before, the recoil on the firs protoypes looked as good if not better than any other 7.62*51 rifle, I think many fail to understand how powerful that round is.
Exactly... That's why i think there's a good probability of it having lowest in class recoil!

Just look at that muzzle brake!!! :eek1:
No sitings of AAR? Wonder if it's totally done.
If 7.62×51 turns out to be as permitting as it seems, that might even kill costly compared AAR!

Kchontha

Country flag
OFB's 7.62x51 rifle will be definitely a world class rifle in terms of reliability and aesthetics. It has already demonstrated it's capabilities such as stoppage rate, accuracy, stopping power and excellent recoil. The advantages it has over other rivals is that it is still an evolving and developing one, therefore it can be modified or rectified as per the requirement.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
OFB's 7.62x51 rifle will be definitely a world class rifle in terms of reliability and aesthetics. It has already demonstrated it's capabilities such as stoppage rate, accuracy, stopping power and excellent recoil. The advantages it has over other rivals is that it is still an evolving and developing one, therefore it can be modified or rectified as per the requirement.
That's the thing with majority of the desi fanboys, we have never fired a assault rifle, let alone a normal rifle or hand gun. even though there is little info about how the OFB gun is performing outside of OFB test ranges, we assume it is a fantastic gun. when IA boys give their professional opinion during their testing, we get dejected and blame IA for everything under the sun.

greater chance that paki military fanboys know what they are takling about, when it comes to rifles. Not the case with indian fanboys.

Hold your horses, don't start giving certificates to OFB 762 NATO just yet!!!!

:)

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
...even though there is little info about how the OFB gun is performing outside of OFB test ranges, we assume it is a fantastic gun.
when IA boys give their professional opinion during their testing, we get dejected and blame IA for everything under the sun.
Said assumptions started with this post, on said IA boys giving their professional opinion during said testings & said "desi fanboys" assumed the report isn't a lie.

And this video is responsible for the assumptions of even the older version having similar recoil to other 7.62×51 guns seen in similar firing videos.

Then... there's the assumption of probability of kickbacks being involved, with people baselessly assuming the IA to be susceptible to bribery & treating indeginous project in a stepmotherly fashion as a result!

Last edited:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Said assumptions started with this post, on said IA boys giving their professional opinion during said testings & said "desi fanboys" assumed the report isn't a lie.

And this video is responsible for the assumptions of even the older version having similar recoil to other 7.62×51 guns seen in similar firing videos.

Then... there's the assumption of probability of kickbacks being involved, with people baselessly assuming the IA to be susceptible to bribery & treating indeginous project in a stepmotherly fashion as a result!

and yes vendors don't upsell their products.....
let's just wait for what their potential customers have to say about it officially. that's it.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles