Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
That I know, the majority of them were speculated to be Ex PA regulars/SSGs. Given the odds, I would say our lads did really well. Only if they had better night fighting equipment, these losses could have been avoided (or at least most of them).
now imagine the result if regular infantry were deployed to take out that terrorists that's why our generals prefer to use special forces as super infantry.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
now imagine the result if regular infantry were deployed to take out that terrorists that's why our generals prefer to use special forces as super infantry.
The RR could have done the job I think. But regardless of what the justification may be, SF operators shouldn't be used like that. This is more of a reason why the regular units are desperately needed to be brought up to modern standards in terms of equipment and the training.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Yeah, I remember this incident. Apparently, all four of the Para SF KIAs were taken out by that sniper alone if I remember correctly. @COLDHEARTED AVIATOR
Ya they were at a higher vantage point and they were sniping effectively. Sniping is not something you can teach in a few weeks properly.. Thatswhy it has to be SSG only. SSG regularly come inside the LOC.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
The lower leadership ie NCO JCO and Subeidar in a regular battalion are not of that level that small teams will be helidropped and they could effectively counter 12 terrorists in a large area.

They dont have the skill and the leadership for the hunt.

Hence Para had to be called.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
That I know, the majority of them were speculated to be Ex PA regulars/SSGs. Given the odds, I would say our lads did really well. Only if they had better night fighting equipment, these losses could have been avoided (or at least most of them).
It happened during the day..but the forest was thick.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The lower leadership ie NCO JCO and Subeidar in a regular battalion are not of that level that small teams will be helidropped and they could effectively counter 12 terrorists in a large area.

They dont have the skill and the leadership for the hunt.

Hence Para had to be called.
Absolutely and in my opinion, this is a huge problem for the Indian Army, and then the propensity of the commissioned officers to take charge literally from the front on each and every occasion further aggravates the situation........ I mean these folks give a new meaning to the phrase 'lead from the front'!! While many consider this 'trait' to be virtuous and what not and leave no occasion to glorify such incidents, in my opinion, it's reckless and stupid waste of an extremely valuable or perhaps even irreplaceable human resource i.e the officer.

I think the leadership and command ability of our NCOs are needed to be brought up asap and this is one area where the IA can draw some lessons from the US armed forces.

PS - I think an RR unit could have done the job, albeit with a bigger force.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Ya they were at a higher vantage point and they were sniping effectively. Sniping is not something you can teach in a few weeks properly.. Thatswhy it has to be SSG only. SSG regularly come inside the LOC.
Yeah and the IA doesn't even have a sniper training program set up!! Really, sometimes I don't understand these top generals.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Absolutely and in my opinion, this is a huge problem for the Indian Army, and then the propensity of the commissioned officers to take charge literally from the front on each and every occasion further aggravates the situation........ I mean these folks give a new meaning to the phrase 'lead from the front'!! While many consider this 'trait' to be virtuous and what not and leave no occasion to glorify such incidents, in my opinion, it's reckless and stupid waste of an extremely valuable or perhaps even irreplaceable human resource i.e the officer.

I think the leadership and command ability of our NCOs are needed to be brought up asap and this is one area where the IA can draw some lessons from the US armed forces.

PS - I think an RR unit could have done the job, albeit with a bigger force.
because the quality of education is low in rural india.IQ levels r not of that level.basic education is there but advanced not.

NSG conducts psychometric tests..so should be done for regulars too even if the phsyical standards have to be lowered a bit coz physical standards will come with time but iq cannot.

now more well educated soldiers are coming with a good aptitude.. i think in about 20 years the nco and Subeidar can be leading from the front.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Country flag
@ArgonPrime could you please share the info about the incident in which 4 SF were lost to sniper firing? Any links will do.

Waanar

Country flag
Sniper program is there but its very basic..no ballistic computes..no idea about the calculations..just basic dm role.
So what's the training for SOF snipers? Just shooting a lot more than regular infantry snipers or some extra training?

Also, wouldn't developing a comprehensive sniper course plug a HUGE hole in COIN ops in Kashmir?

As for your point on education, that's true. Coriolis effect is not anyone's cup of tea, much less a farmer's son from the village but I have noticed that a lot (seriously LOTS) of airmen happen to have graduation degrees with em nowadays...
Fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

Articles