Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

rohit b3

Country flag
How come
Su 30MKi 272 units
Mig 29UPG 69 units
M-2000. 50 units

That brings us to 391 units with service availability rate of 50% it should bring the number to 200units.best case scenarios. Correct me if I'm wrong. I have excluded Mig 21 and SEPECAT Jaguar because it's not 4th gen.
Jaguars are 4th gen and a total number of 125 units are with the IAF.
Fun fact: The last 2 squadrons of Jaguars were ordered in 1999 and 2002 resp.

Poseidon

Country flag
How come
Su 30MKi 272 units
Mig 29UPG 69 units
M-2000. 50 units

That brings us to 391 units with service availability rate of 50% it should bring the number to 200units.best case scenarios. Correct me if I'm wrong. I have excluded Mig 21 and SEPECAT Jaguar because it's not 4th gen.
Availability rate of Sukhoi in Q3 2019-20 was 70.93% and for M29 & Mirage 200 it hivers around 74-75%.
Better than PAFs or PLAAFs 4th gen serviceability.

abhay rajput

Country flag
Availability rate of Sukhoi in Q3 2019-20 was 70.93% and for M29 & Mirage 200 it hivers around 74-75%.
Better than PAFs or PLAAFs 4th gen serviceability.
So close to 400 aircrafts.
And plaaf has 500 - j10 and 500 Sukhoi copies. Not counted bomber from north sides. Yet they still have great advantage in bombers. H6 .

Last edited:

IndianHawk

Country flag
So close to 400 aircrafts.
And plaaf has 500 - j10 and 500 Sukhoi copies. Not counted bomber from north sides. Yet they still have great advantage in bombers. H6 .
There bombers are useless unless they first wipe out entire IAF. Because even a single fighter jet can take out multiple bombers not to mention sam systems .

Also look their number in context. Chinese also face hundreds of f22/f35 and f15 /f16/f2 Fielded by Japs and American on Eastern side. Then there is Taiwan. Chinese are outgunned both in quality and quantity .

abhay rajput

Country flag
There bombers are useless unless they first wipe out entire IAF. Because even a single fighter jet can take out multiple bombers not to mention sam systems .

Also look their number in context. Chinese also face hundreds of f22/f35 and f15 /f16/f2 Fielded by Japs and American on Eastern side. Then there is Taiwan. Chinese are outgunned both in quality and quantity .
Do you want to fight with me today huhh..?
Nobody is gonna come , doklam was an example for you. Next there bomber have long range missiles to strike, we will not have that range even with meteor . There aircraft inventory is as good as ours . Rafale will be better than every aircraft in there inventory except j20 which will be an even match. So your point about quality doesn't make sense to me .

IndianHawk

Country flag
Do you want to fight with me today huhh..?
Nobody is gonna come , doklam was an example for you. Next there bomber have long range missiles to strike, we will not have that range even with meteor . There aircraft inventory is as good as ours . Rafale will be better than every aircraft in there inventory except j20 which will be an even match. So your point about quality doesn't make sense to me .
Sigh !

J20 has huge canards which is opposite of stealth. Plus it is utterly underpowered without new engine. It can't match rafale and it is inferior to f35 and f22. That are fielded again china.

There bombed will have to come within 1000 km of targets to launch even long range cruise. Which is within the combat range of su30 and rafale and now even mig29upg.

Availability of their j10 and Chinese engined j11/16 is below 50%.

And today they don't even have enough jets in tibet neither they have enough airfield.

And they will need 1000 ballistic missile perday just to stop 3 Indian airfield for 24 hrs. They don't have enough missile either.

abhay rajput

Country flag
Sigh !

J20 has huge canards which is opposite of stealth. Plus it is utterly underpowered without new engine. It can't match rafale and it is inferior to f35 and f22. That are fielded again china.

There bombed will have to come within 1000 km of targets to launch even long range cruise. Which is within the combat range of su30 and rafale and now even mig29upg.

And today they don't even have enough jets in tibet neither they have enough airfield.

And they will need 1000 ballistic missile perday just to stop 3 Indian airfield for 24 hrs. They don't have enough missile either.
Rafale too has canards. Rest assured j20 is more stealthy compared to Rafale. How do you know that there engine availability is below 50 percent.? They use same Russian engine, so it would be unwise to assume they have less availability for the engines. They have a lot of airbases around there.. I haven't bring ballistic missile here because thats another topic.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Rafale too has canards. Rest assured j20 is more stealthy compared to Rafale. How do you know that there engine availability is below 50 percent.? They use same Russian engine, so it would be unwise to assume they have less availability for the engines. They have a lot of airbases around there.. I haven't bring ballistic missile here because thats another topic.
Because our twin engine su30 mki have recorded high rate of engine failure. Chinese engien are known to be much less reliable . It's kinda obvious.

They don't have enough airbases in tibet and we have more jets against them in the theater. Report about it might be somewhere on this forum too.

Tacticle Ballistic missile come into play to damage airfields.

abhay rajput

Country flag
Because our twin engine su30 mki have recorded high rate of engine failure. Chinese engien are known to be much less reliable . It's kinda obvious.

They don't have enough airbases in tibet and we have more jets against them in the theater. Report about it might be somewhere on this forum too.

Tacticle Ballistic missile come into play to damage airfields.
Chinese don't use there own engines. They use Russian engines same as us but under different names just like with there clones.
They can easily relocate. That's report is dubious at best because it doesn't account many things like there bomber aircrafts and makes our mig21 as good as there j10. We are only discussing about airforce not missiles. Kinda agree on missiles .

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
Now you are agreeing that 36 is not enough. Where did i said that mki, s400 are irrelevant. I just said that despite of IAF being in ventilator, parikar managed to buy only 36 rafale. And it is not enough.
We have a 45 billion dollar defence budget (excluding pensions). Tell me which country with a defence budget similar to ours has more than 300 4th gen fighters? UK and France, which have the same amount of money to spend on their air forces, have only managed to have 160-200 fighters in their inventory.

By comparison, we have 272 MKI + 40 Mirage + 66 Mig 29 + 36 rafales incoming, which equals 414 4th gen fighters, and 83 Tejas are also incoming. For the amount of money available, IAF is in good shape. Fighters don't appear out of thin air when you need them. You need hard cash. That's why 126 Rafales for 12 billion USD was a pipe dream.

The Chinese air force itself only has 650 4th gen fighters now, despite having a far bigger budget than India's.

If pakis weren't getting F 16's at an extremely subsidized price (1/3rd of actual price), then they would barely have had 25-30 F 16's in their inventory.

We can talk about how many fighters are required till the cows come home, but how many we can get is purely dependent on money available. No use blaming Parrikar or military planning. We have a very large number of modern fighters for our budget. If we want a significantly bigger fleet of modern fighters, our defence budget needs to rise substantially, which is only possible with a much bigger economy.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Chinese don't use there own engines. They use Russian engines same as us but under different names just like with there clones.
They can easily relocate. That's report is dubious at best because it doesn't account many things like there bomber aircrafts and makes our mig21 as good as there j10. We are only discussing about airforce not missiles. Kinda agree on missiles .
Chinese are putting their own engine on new batches of j10 and j16. That report doesn't include bombers for the reason I explained before . Bombers are useless against a potent airforce.

I'm done with this now . Wake me up when j10 stop crashing.

IndianHawk

Country flag
We have a 45 billion dollar defence budget (excluding pensions). Tell me which country with a defence budget similar to ours has more than 300 4th gen fighters? UK and France, which have the same amount of money to spend on their air forces, have only managed to have 160-200 fighters in their inventory.

By comparison, we have 272 MKI + 40 Mirage + 66 Mig 29 + 36 rafales incoming, which equals 414 4th gen fighters, and 83 Tejas are also incoming. For the amount of money available, IAF is in good shape. Fighters don't appear out of thin air when you need them. You need hard cash. That's why 126 Rafales for 12 billion USD was a pipe dream.

The Chinese air force itself only has 650 4th gen fighters now, despite having a far bigger budget than India's.

If pakis weren't getting F 16's at an extremely subsidized price (1/3rd of actual price), then they would barely have had 25-30 F 16's in their inventory.

We can talk about how many fighters are required till the cows come home, but how many we can get is purely dependent on money available. No use blaming Parrikar or military planning. We have a very large number of modern fighters for our budget. If we want a significantly bigger fleet of modern fighters, our defence budget needs to rise substantially, which is only possible with a much bigger economy.
That's in dollars. Our budget in ppp is about 240 billion ppp dollars. That's how we manage more jets and tanks and men and ships than France or uk.

Key here is indegenation . Once mwf / orca start rolling we can afford them in much greater numbers than rafale because they will be much much cheaper. And forex will only be required for engines .

Russia also has similar budget to ours but it fields 1000+ combat jets because it builds everything in house.

WARREN SS

Country flag
Sigh !

People Are confused With Number game they don't understand Dedicated Theater commands

PLAAF Western Command

0027.jpg

VS

IAF Western Command

0028.jpg

IAF Central command & Eastern Command (china dedicated)

0029.jpg
0030.jpg

Last edited:

AMCA

Country flag
People Are confused With Number game they don't understand Dedicated Theater commands

PLAAF Western Command

View attachment 45777

VS

IAF Western Command

View attachment 45778

IAF Central command & Eastern Command (china dedicated)

View attachment 45781View attachment 45782
Most of Chinese bases lack hardened shelters to protect aircraft on the ground, leaving them vulnerable to attacks. PLAAF Fighter squadrons cannot be permanently deployed due to rudimentary support infrastructure as a result squadrons at these bases rotate every 4 month.

WARREN SS

Country flag
Most of Chinese bases lack hardened shelters to protect aircraft on the ground, leaving them vulnerable to attacks. PLAAF Fighter squadrons cannot be permanently deployed due to rudimentary support infrastructure as a result squadrons at these bases rotate every 4 month.
Well they are Improving there capabilities each day faster than india What We have Neglected for years Sadly due to Corrupt govt Of UPA
MMRCA should be Done decade ago in 2011
We Neglected NE infrastructure Its only after Modi in 2014 its started to get some work done

What We need Rapidly Phase out 2nd and 3 gen aircraft's and Add more 4th gen fleet to IAF Fleet

114+36 Rafale's And (LCA MK1A and MWF)Will be Game changing So is DRDO AWACS projects If US Let us get ISTAR then Chinese Will be Shaking with terror

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles