IN Scorpene Submarines - News & Discussions

Flying Dagger

Country flag
It depends. What are the exact requirements of P75I ?

Is it just an improvement over P75 or a big leap in perf ?
In the first case an improved Scorpene with AIP and Scalp Naval (or an indian Nirhbay) is enough, in the other a derivative of SF Barracuda.
If the project 75 I goes through then it is not scorpene class for sure. Barracuda is too expensive and doesn't fit into the allocated budget
It will be created to meet TOT requirement which they didn't get from French. Germany is the next best option though Korea may surprise us.

I would have preferred to go with Scorpene route and then increasing the indigenous content in it step by step and eventually indigenous designed submarine.

Shashwat

Country flag
^^ Naval group were proposing SMX 3.0 - a 3000 tonn successor of Scorpene.

I wouldn't mind S80 class with all TOT after all its Scorpene.

Indrajit

Country flag
Exactly Scorpene class is one of the most advanced design and will meet our requirements for decades to follow .

While Russia for the nuke submarine projects as no one else will offer us that.

Hope they avoid the unnecessary mess .
Actually I have the opposite view. While conventional wisdom suggests minimisation of platforms , that only works when you are building them yourselves. If dependent on a foreign player, one has to carefully calculate how much leverage to allow. Otherwise everything will cost you an arm and a leg. You dont want to put at risk 50% of your force. Better to have different platforms even if that's messy.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Actually I have the opposite view. While conventional wisdom suggests minimisation of platforms , that only works when you are building them yourselves. If dependent on a foreign player, one has to carefully calculate how much leverage to allow. Otherwise everything will cost you an arm and a leg. You dont want to put at risk 50% of your force. Better to have different platforms even if that's messy.
We are not buying aircraft but submarine plus we will be replacing foreign component with indian step by step in the upcoming submarines and then indigenous designed one.

Also going by your logic

France is the most favorable bet for us in western world the other one is Russia.

So we should go for Amur class ?

Indrajit

Country flag
We are not buying aircraft but submarine plus we will be replacing foreign component with indian step by step in the upcoming submarines and then indigenous designed one.

Also going by your logic

France is the most favorable bet for us in western world the other one is Russia.

So we should go for Amur class ?
I don’t have an opinion specifically on what we should buy, I put forward an alternate opinion. Personally, I’m ok to go with whoever offers us the best terms but my point was not to look for commonality discounting other factors.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
I don’t have an opinion specifically on what we should buy, I put forward an alternate opinion. Personally, I’m ok to go with whoever offers us the best terms but my point was not to look for commonality discounting other factors.

I understand your concern bro but submarine is another game and these are the best and only two option for us if you want to choose two different nation to mitigate any risk.

From West France and Russia is Russia .

Anyway IN dont think that way and they may go for germany or may be stick with scorpene. Let's see in another few years things might get clear.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
^^ Naval group were proposing SMX 3.0 - a 3000 tonn successor of Scorpene.

I wouldn't mind S80 class with all TOT after all its Scorpene.
I think the indigenous one is supposed to be of this class . So it would be good if it is offered let's see what happens now.

Germany may offer more TOT and may be Type 212 tech? You never know The company is in deep trouble. If that happens would be great for IN.

Kharavela

Country flag
I think the indigenous one is supposed to be of this class . So it would be good if it is offered let's see what happens now.

Germany may offer more TOT and may be Type 212 tech? You never know The company is in deep trouble. If that happens would be great for IN.
If HDW is in serious financial crisis, why GoI / MoD is not considering acquisition through one of the PSU or encouraging a private player to acquire significant shareholding in HDW ?

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk

Bhurki

^^ no country will allow that specially for such a strategic asset, German govt will bail out rather than let go of the R&D, IP of decades.
Agree. Thyssenkrupp is also quite well connected, and is looking to load off some subsidiaries like steel plants, elevator business to keep other more important subsidiaries afloat.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Agree. Thyssenkrupp is also quite well connected, and is looking to load off some subsidiaries like steel plants, elevator business to keep other more important subsidiaries afloat.
The elevator business is the only thing keeping Thyssenkrupp afloat, it is their shipyards that are losing the money. France has offered to take them over but they consider it a strategic industry.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
This small sab Packs a big punch. I am very sure that if conflicts happen with China or Pakistan this will prove to be a silent killer, and our enemy has no counter to this.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
If the project 75 I goes through then it is not scorpene class for sure. Barracuda is too expensive and doesn't fit into the allocated budget
It will be created to meet TOT requirement which they didn't get from French. Germany is the next best option though Korea may surprise us.

I would have preferred to go with Scorpene route and then increasing the indigenous content in it step by step and eventually indigenous designed submarine.
Scorpene remains a perfectly viable solution, in a improved version. (After all the Spain S80 is an improved Scorpene up to 3000T, by a 10m stretch. It just cost more than the double of the quote....)

A 3000T scorpene with more weapons , more batteries and a AIP is a easy road to follow. With less risks than all the other proposals.

WolfPack86

Country flag
DRDO's Air Independent Propulsion system gets boost with operation of land-based prototype
DRDO’s AIP (Air Independent Propulsion) system got a boost with the operation of the land-based prototype on Wednesday. The operation of the Fuel cell-based AIP was conducted at the Naval Materials Research Laboratory in Ambernath, Maharashtra in the presence of Navy Chief Admiral Karambir Singh

“AIP has a force multiplier effect on lethality of a diesel-electric submarine as it enhances the submerged endurance of the boat, several folds,” Ministry of Defence (MoD) in its communique said. Chief of the Naval Staff appreciated the breakthrough accomplishments achieved in this programme and said, “The programme is of great value to the nation and Indian Navy in particular.” Chief urged DRDO and Indian Navy to continue the partnership to meet the timelines set for short and long-term goals.

Fuel cell-based AIP has merits in performance compared to other technologies. The DRDO programme to build a fuel cell-based AIP system for Indian Naval Submarines has crossed several milestones in technology maturity, added MoD

Also, present during the operation of the land-based prototype engineered to the form-and-fit of a submarine was Secretary, Department of Defence R&D and Chairman DRDO Dr G. Satheesh Reddy.

The DRDO Chairman assured that all efforts will be made to meet the performance standards and timelines of the programme so that induction of DRDO AIP into operational Submarines could be achieved as per Indian Navy schedule.

Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief (West), Chief of Material Indian Navy, Director General (Naval Systems & Materials), Director General (Armament & Combat Engineering Systems), Director (Naval Materials Research Laboratory) and Directors of participating laboratories were present on the occasion.
http://www.defencenews.in/article/D...with-operation-of-land-based-prototype-747726

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles