DRDO Multical Rifle Unveiled

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
I have some concerns for MCIWS (keep it in mind I belong to infamous 'Keyboard Warriors' Clan so feel free to correct me).
Very informative post however these shortcomings can be rectify depending final design of MCIWS or may be it will suffer the same fate like other DRDO weapons.

Prashant12

Country flag
MCIWS Update:

The Advanced Assault Rifle (AAR) , previously known as MCIWS, is going to be inducted into Indian Armed Forces within just 6-10 months if any further problem doesn't arise. All modifications, suggested and demanded by army, have been done. All trials have been conducted successfully. The new model has reduced the weight further, means AAR is lighter than early MCIWS. It can accept 5.56, 6.8 and 7.62 mm ammo, giving an edge. More than 250 models have been evaluated and more than 25000 rounds have been fired still now.

https://www.facebook.com/TeamINDRA/

Last edited:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
MCIWS Update:

The Advanced Assault Rifle (AAR) , previously known as MCIWS, is going to be inducted into Indian Armed Forces within just 6-10 months if any further problem doesn't arise. All modifications, suggested and demanded by army, have been done. All trials have been conducted successfully. The new model has reduced the weight further, means AAR is lighter than early MCIWS. It can accept 5.56, 6.8 and 7.62 mm ammo, giving an edge

Good news if true...

On a side note...

I wonder if this is the latest pic. Gas port has gone back to 90 degrees from earlier 45degree angle ...

NKVD

MCIWS Update:

The Advanced Assault Rifle (AAR) , previously known as MCIWS, is going to be inducted into Indian Armed Forces within just 6-10 months if any further problem doesn't arise. All modifications, suggested and demanded by army, have been done. All trials have been conducted successfully. The new model has reduced the weight further, means AAR is lighter than early MCIWS. It can accept 5.56, 6.8 and 7.62 mm ammo, giving an edge

ohh Lord Finally good news if the News True

Clearing Army trial is milestone in itself

Hope there Will be any video of MCIWs on full Auto

sbm

Country flag
Prashant, when was that photograph taken? Also, what about the decision to opt for 7.62mm x 51mm ammunition. I am praying and hoping all is true.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
It appears that AAR has foldable+adjustable buttstock.

Reactions: Kay

Prashant12

Country flag

ARDE Advanced Assault Rifle with an ADT/ITL Raptor red dot sight and the Corner Firing Weapon with an OFB 1A 9mm Auto pistol on display at DRDO Exhibition held in Pune.

The Advanced Assault Rifle was previously known as the MCIWS. Interestingly even the receiver markings on this rifle on display have MCIWS etched on them instead of AAR. The MCIWS was originally designed to be a multi calibre rifle available k. 5.56x45, 7.62x39 and 6.8mm, it is not known if the AAR is multi calibre capable now or not as according to some sources the rifle is only being developed in the 5.56x45mm calibre.

As can be seen the flash hider is an exact INSAS copy, the gas block and front sight post as well being taken from the INSAS. We can see a bayonet lug just below the gas block.The rifle has the same long stroke piston design with the same two lug bolt as the INSAS to reduce development time, although this is just a speculation on our part.

The rifle is provided with an AR-15 style magazine release, bolt release, safety selector, charging handle and magwell. The magwell has cutoff for reading the number of cartridges in the magazine. The magazine is transparent and similar to the INSAS magazine in concept, although it would be an AR-15 style magazine instead of the rock and lock magazine of the INSAS which was derived from the AK. The AAR has a redesigned buttstock which differs from the original AR-15 style buttstock. It is folding and has adjustable length of pull. The AAR link the MCIWS doesnt have the dust cover in the ejection port and the magazine well cutoff is asking for ingress of dust and dirt inside the rifle.

It would seem to take down the rifle the takedown pins near the handguard and safety selector lever. This would cause the upper and lower receivers of the rifle to separate and it would be possible to remove the bolt group and gas piston, although again this is purely speculation on our part. The rifle is most probably machined from a solid billet of metal like the AR-15 for both the AR-15 instead of being manufactured from stamped sheet metal like the AK and INSAS.

The rifle has rails on the upper receiver which can be used for attaching optics. The rifle also has a small quad rail segment near the forward end of the handguard for attaching of vertical foregrips, laser pointers, flashlights and other accessories.

https://www.facebook.com/TejasMrca/

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
It's a bit strange...

What about Firing modes on AAR ?
In pics above,it appears that it has only two firing modes.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
The MCIWS was originally designed to be a multi calibre rifle available k. 5.56x45, 7.62x39 and 6.8mm, it is not known if the AAR is multi calibre capable now or not as according to some sources the rifle is only being developed in the 5.56x45mm calibre.
WT (Actual) F?

If this is just another 5.56, I cannot see the Army buying this. And what about the 7.62X51 the Army was looking to procure? Even if this fires a 7.62X39, will the Army prefer this over the full power round?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I am glad the butt-stock is of aluminum and not fiber ..

Reactions: Kay

Zero-Sum-Game

It's a bit strange...

What about Firing modes on AAR ?
In pics above,it appears that it has only two firing modes.
I may be wrong here but if you look at the display closely you will find the three position for the fire selector switch at 12 o clock 3 o clock and 6 o clock respectively. So I second the claim that there are 3 perceived modes of fire vis a vis safety, semi and automatic.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles