The Syrian Crisis

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Do you mean the assessment of the chemical weapon threat within Syria is a pretext for NATO intervention? If that threat is not the real reason for intervention, what would be the "real" reason? The threat of chemical weapons could be among several valid reasons for intervention.
Iraq and WMD comes to mind :)

America has nukes. So?

All boils down to what the west wants right now and who can have what and what regimes should be where.

At the end of it, shortsighted American policy. Look who won the elections in Egypt. Look what's become of Libya. Syria under Assad is better than a Wahabi Taliban style government. The US also remember that it's no longer able to support major wars. What if another 9/11 originated from that region with a regime that comes post Assad? Will it go to war Astan style into it? Does America have the stomach to fight another 10 year war?

The US is creating a major mess with its policies in Mid East.

Galaxy

Country flag
India should support Syria.

We have nothing to do with Assad family killing. A shia dictator is far better than Wahhabi ruling the country!

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Do you mean the assessment of the chemical weapon threat within Syria is a pretext for NATO intervention? If that threat is not the real reason for intervention, what would be the "real" reason? The threat of chemical weapons could be among several valid reasons for intervention.
Yes, it is a pretext for invasion. Let's call a spade, a spade here.
A real reason for "intervention" would be when Syrian terrorists and Syrian armymen attack American nationals and American interests. I hope Al-Qaida terrorists and Free Syrian Army headed by Libyan warlords is not an integral part of American interest.
No one gave the Americans the permission to interpret "threat" and act unilaterally. What is a threat?
A statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not
Can you prove that Syria poses a threat to America and American interests?
You replied to my post, but you did not answer the question in my post. Answering a question with more questions is not discussion.
True. Therefore, this post.

ashicjose

A real reason for "intervention" would be when Syrian terrorists and Syrian armymen attack American nationals and American interests. I hope Al-Qaida terrorists and Free Syrian Army headed by Libyan warlords is not an integral part of American interest.
No one gave the Americans the permission to interpret "threat" and act unilaterally. What is a threat?
A statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not

Yes the present Gov. policies in Syria may be not in the favor of West but considering what happening in Egypt,they like being Assad in power ,that is the main reason behind the negligence of the west.Also the strong stance of Russia (the lone Naval base of Russia in the Middle East is in Syria) keeping the GCC/WEST powers away from doing any military aid to the opposition on humanitarian consideration.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

US DoS may have already told American citizens to leave Syria. There is not enough oil in Syria (unlike Libya) for a US intervention. I am concerned about the chemical warfare threat. If the UN acts, US CMA has the capability to destroy the chemical warfare agent production and storage facilities and contents.

The U.S. Army Chemical Materials Agency - Creating a Safer Tomorrow

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
US DoS may have already told American citizens to leave Syria. There is not enough oil in Syria (unlike Libya) for a US intervention. I am concerned about the chemical warfare threat. If the UN acts, US CMA has the capability to destroy the chemical warfare agent production and storage facilities and contents.

The U.S. Army Chemical Materials Agency - Creating a Safer Tomorrow
You've cleverly chosen to deflect from addressing the questions directly. You've failed to prove how Syrian chemical agents are anymore dangerous than the ones held by US allies.
The only tomorrow the Cma will be able to create is one fraught with more dangers than yesterday. That's the legacy of the United States and all its agencies. 65 years after the Second World War, the world has become a place more dangerous. What does that tell about the capability of the United States as a 'World leader'? Remember, the world is too big, even for a power like Uncle Sam. Possessing the world's most sophisticated military won't guarantee you any victory if the whole world decides to gang up against your ways. Germany understood this the hard way, twice. Better take lessons from history and mend your ways before it's too late.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
You've cleverly chosen to deflect from addressing the questions directly. You've failed to prove how Syrian chemical agents are anymore dangerous than the ones held by US allies.
The only tomorrow the Cma will be able to create is one fraught with more dangers than yesterday. That's the legacy of the United States and all its agencies. 65 years after the Second World War, the world has become a place more dangerous. What does that tell about the capability of the United States as a 'World leader'? Remember, the world is too big, even for a power like Uncle Sam. Possessing the world's most sophisticated military won't guarantee you any victory if the whole world decides to gang up against your ways. Germany understood this the hard way, twice. Better take lessons from history and mend your ways before it's too late.
Remember, the universe is expanding at an astounding rate, but you remain a nattering nitwit.

pmaitra

From my perspective, I think it is ill serving to attack a commoner of the US for the policies of the US Government. The US Government hardly reflects what the people think.

While I haven't done a survey, I have spoken to a few people in North Carolina about the US invasion of Yugoslavia, and most people (who knew about it), were mighty pissed with Clinton for supporting the Muslim KLA against Christian Serbs.

Let us not attack the messenger.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
From my perspective, I think it is ill serving to attack a commoner of the US for the policies of the US Government. The US Government hardly reflects what the people think.
Let us not attack the messenger.
While I largely agree with the perspective, it is also true that
1 US boasts itself to be the oldest and the "most democratic" country in the world
2 The member in question is/was a defence professional

Furthermore, no representative of US Govt is present in DFI(overtly, at least). Therefore it is only fair that he face some questions for which his country is responsible. Had US been something like Libya or Syria, I wouldn't have said a word. But no, this here is Uncle Sam, "The #1 Country in the world!"

pmaitra

While I largely agree with the perspective, it is also true that
1 US boasts itself to be the oldest and the "most democratic" country in the world
2 The member in question is/was a defence professional

Furthermore, no representative of US Govt is present in DFI(overtly, at least). Therefore it is only fair that he face some questions for which his country is responsible. Had US been something like Libya or Syria, I wouldn't have said a word. But no, this here is Uncle Sam, "The #1 Country in the world!"
Americans are actually very humble and friendly. I am saying from my personal experience.

England is the first and oldest democracy. Rome is the first and oldest republic.

The member is entitled to his opinion. He may or may not be correct, but a disagreement is best kept cordial, and when things seem to go out of hand, there is always the option to move away for a few hours.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Syrian troops near Turkish border: rebels

The rebel Free Syrian Army said on Friday that Syrian troops were massing near the Turkish border amid tensions since Syria's downing of a Turkish jet last week.

"There are military units massing 15 kilometres or slightly more (10 miles), from the Turkish border, in the northern region" of Syria, FSA supreme military council head Mustafa al-Sheikh told AFP by telephone.

Asked to comment, a Syrian foreign ministry spokesman reported: "No hostile intentions from the Syrian side."

Sheikh said that around 2,500 troops backed by 170 tanks and other vehicles were stationed in the border area, roughly 25 kilometres (15 miles) from the main northern city of Aleppo, citing estimates from fighters on the ground.

Government forces have "regrouped and withdrawn from some of their checkpoints on the outskirts of Aleppo city to new locations" near the border, he said.

Sheikh said the troop build-up could be a "show of force against the Turkish military, which increased its presence on the Syrian border after the downing of its warplane by Syria."

"Fearing Turkish military intervention, the Syrian military proceeded to mobilise its forces," he said.

But he said the troop concentration might equally be in preparation for an operation inside Syria following heavy bombardment of the area by government forces in recent weeks.

"Another possibility for this mobilisation may be a crackdown in the northern Aleppo countryside," he said.

Turkey has sent missile batteries, tanks and troops to the border as a "security corridor" after Syria shot down a Turkish warplane late last week, media reports said.

State-run TRT television showed dozens of military vehicles reportedly heading for the border, in a convoy that included air defence systems.

The Turkish Phantom F-4 jet was downed by Syria over the eastern Mediterranean in what Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan called a "heinous attack" over international waters.

Syrian troops near Turkish border: rebels

indian_sukhoi

Turkey is asking for it!!!!

First they indirectly support rebels and then send aircraft into their territory and claim a "heinous attack" over international waters. The F-4 was shot down by Anti-aircraft guns, That would explain who violated whose airspace.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag

First they indirectly support rebels and then send aircraft into their territory and claim a "heinous attack" over international waters. The F-4 was shot down by Anti-aircraft guns, That would explain who violated whose airspace.
Definitely, Turkey is literally begging for chastisement. However, no doubt that it is NATO which is pushing Turkey to the edge. Once Syria attacks, NATO steps in, and lo, you have another intervention. Methinks BRICS or SCO should do something about it if they want to be taken seriously by others.

pmaitra

Syria: Hillary Clinton and Sergei Lavrov inch closer towards deal on peace plan

Hopes of a diplomatic breakthrough over the civil war in Syria rose on Friday after US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton held crisis talks with Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov.
But speaking after a one-on-one meeting with Mrs Clinton in St Petersburg, Mr Lavrov said that US and Russian positions were moving closer together.
Mr Lavrov added that he "felt a change, in that there were no ultimatums [from the US] and there was no word about the paper under discussion being a sacred, final text." He said Mrs Clinton was an "experienced diplomat who said she understood our position".
The Kremlin has publicly refused to countenance foreign intervention to remove Mr Assad, and insists the Syrian people must decide their own fate. Russia has also declined to end arms supplies to Damascus.
Source: Syria: Hillary Clinton and Sergei Lavrov inch closer towards deal on peace plan - Telegraph

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

It wasn't shot down by AAA.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles