The Syrian Crisis

nrupatunga

Obama would be speaking on syria. Watch it here. Would he go ahead or will he still continue the suspense regarding "when" on strikes will be made on syria??

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Obama would be speaking on syria. Watch it here. Would he go ahead or will he still continue the suspense regarding "when" on strikes will be made on syria??
Seems like US is giving time to everyone to prepare for war... Russia has already sent some navy and Syrian also decentralized it's army.

nrupatunga

When obama says that it maybe one week later or even one month later before strikes happen, it shows how weak his position is in US congress.

As some on twitter put it "Obama to congress: please stop me from bombing syria"
@rock127 No way usa and russia will face each other for assad. its all for public consumption to show we are the "leader".

Last edited by a moderator:

nrupatunga

It might give assad some time, but the big story here is. It will embolden iran. More importantly china has now seen how west (UK/US) dilly-dally's to even take on assad's syria. What will they do tommorrow if they need to counter china. China (it's camp followers like NoKo, pakis) will see this as BIG BIG plus for them.
@rock127 @parijataka @pmaitra @Singh @Yusuf @TrueSpirit @Tolaha @SajeevJino

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The US govt are terrorists and thats why we should never trust them on anything.
Terrorists act. Obama seems incapable of acting. He says he has reached a decision, but Congress must give him authority. He knows that means a long delay. Congress is not in session.

Last edited:

amoy

^^^ @t_co Why is china only providing diplomatic support to its ally the syrian regime.
China is backing Russia over Syria. In this thread I once posted Syrian FM thanking Chinese financial aid. And in the interview with Russian media the othet day Assad again praised China, along with Russia (global), and Iran (regional) as top supporters.

In face of America's pivot to Asia Pacific China is getting much closer to Russia than ever. Giving France a free hand in Libya has done great damages - 30,000 Chinese had to be evavuated , with contracts uncompleted in billions left behind.

Many Chinese think it's a good idea to send warships to hold joint manoeuver off Syrian coast in E. Med. as a show of solidarity. However for the moment Putin is taking on the situation pretty well and the erstwhile superpower has its own pride.

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Many Chinese think it's a good idea to send warships to hold joint manoeuver off Syrian coast in E. Med. as a show of solidarity. However for the moment Putin is taking on the situation pretty well and the erstwhile superpower has its own pride.
If Chinese warships go to Mediterranean, I assume they would be denied Suez Canal transit, or am I wrong?

[Edit]

As always on DFI, best to answer one's own question.
China has also been increasing its involvement in the area, with the country's warships sailing through the Suez Canal, and several key ports of the region becoming partially China-owned.
http://rt.com/news/russian-pacific-fleet-mediterranean-374/

Although, US could lean on Egypt to deny or delay Chinese warships, I suppose.

P.S. This thread is coming up on a duration of almost 2 & 1/2 years.

Last edited:

jamesvaikom

isn`t the American congress already in favor of attacking Syria ?
They wish to attack Syria. But they will change their strategy when their enemies change theirs. Russia is now sending strong warnings. Russia want oil prices to remain high. If US attack Syria then Russia may use that as an excuse to attack oil fields in Saudi. US won't attack Russia because that will cause huge casualties on both sides. Saudi Govt. is investing most of their savings in US$. If they face financial crisis then they will sell their dollar reserves. In past US used lame excuses to attack Middle East countries for securing oil. Now due to increase in shale oil production they are using lame excuses to avoid wars. Now its Russia who need wars.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
India opposes Syria action

I don't think we can support any action that is not endorsed by the UN," Khurshid said,

India cannot support military strikes against Syria without the approval of the United Nations Security Council, foreign minister Salman Khurshid said today, distancing New Delhi from strategic ally Washington in its clearest statement yet on the crisis in West Asia.

when asked by The Telegraph for India's position on potential missile strikes the US is mulling against Syria following allegations that Damascus used chemical weapons against its citizens.

Any attacks on Syria at this point could exacerbate the civil war in Syria and turbulence in West Asia, Khurshid suggested.

"I am hoping that sanity will prevail and that people will step away from actions that could escalate matters," Khurshid said. West Asia is a critical region for India not just because it is the country's largest source of oil, but because it is home to over 6 million Indians.

India has traditionally backed only UN-sponsored military action against sovereign countries, and its position on Syria is not surprising, even though the US is one of its closest strategic allies. But the choice of words used by Khurshid suggests his stance is not merely rooted in India's past positions, but in a belief that any military action in Syria is against Indian interests.

For India, the tensions in Syria and the potential of strikes leading to a spillover of the conflict beyond that nation's boundaries in the wider region are causes for concern, Khurshid said.

"Before engaging in any of this kind of action, it is important to understand the impact it can have on the region."

Though India does not import any oil from Syria, concerns over the possibility of strikes on that nation have already triggered an upward spiral in global fuel prices. India is the world's third-largest oil importer after the US and China. Any spread in the Syrian conflict, currently largely limited to that nation's borders, could also hurt the millions of Indian workers in West Asia and the Gulf.

But though no military action against Syria is good for India, Khurshid made it clear the country would reassess its stance if the UN Security Council — where China and Russia have vetoed resolutions against Syria — endorses strikes.

"With UN support, we are comfortable even with action against our friends — because it's the UN that has sanctioned the move," Khurshid said.

Military action against Syria taken without the UN authorisation would also prove unpopular with India's large Muslim population — over 170 million — just ahead of crucial state polls and the general elections next year.

India opposes Syria action

parijataka

Country flag
It might give assad some time, but the big story here is. It will embolden iran. More importantly china has now seen how west (UK/US) dilly-dally's to even take on assad's syria. What will they do tommorrow if they need to counter china. China (it's camp followers like NoKo, pakis) will see this as BIG BIG plus for them.
@rock127 @parijataka @pmaitra @Singh @Yusuf @TrueSpirit @Tolaha @SajeevJino
I dont understand the 'Iran will be emboldened' part. Iran, as leader of the Shia Muslims is a rival to Saudi Arabia not rest of the world. Perhaps a danger to Israel as it supports Hezbollah and indirectly enemy to US.

pmaitra

Some in Congress do not want to attack. Others want more than what Obama proposes. That Obama now seeks approval for attacking Syria reflects his own indecision.
I still think it is wise of him to do what the Constitution requires him to do. He gets my credit, which I wouldn't give Bush.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Would the Sunnis be bothered if Assad were hammered?
I don't Know How the Muslims in India Reacts

some where I get some news Some of the Indian Guys Hacking Syrian Govt Websites and they are all Anti Assad

They are the guys who hacked some of the Indian websites like DRDO and TATA to delivering a Message to leave IA from Kashmir

tramp

Would the Sunnis be bothered if Assad were hammered?
Right now US action in Syria will benefit Sunni extremists backed by Al Qaida. But once the dust settles over Damascus, Al Qaida campaign will begin citing Syria on the long list of grievances against the Great Satan who invaded another Muslim country in the War of Civilizations.... etc etc.. And all the Muslims killed in this campaign will also be put under the US account ... like Iraq, Afrghanistan, Egypt

pmaitra

Right now US action in Syria will benefit Sunni extremists backed by Al Qaida. But once the dust settles over Damascus, Al Qaida campaign will begin citing Syria on the long list of grievances against the Great Satan who invaded another Muslim country in the War of Civilizations.... etc etc.. And all the Muslims killed in this campaign will also be put under the US account ... like Iraq, Afrghanistan, Egypt
Exactly, and do not expect the US Administration to understand that. Heck, they couldn't even prevent the Boston Bomb attacks.

tramp

Exactly, and do not expect the US Administration to understand that. Heck, they couldn't even prevent the Boston Bomb attacks.
Hey, the ultimate irony will be that Saudi funds will be fanning another round of anti-US campaign across the Ummah even while Saudis are the biggest beneficiaries of a Western intervention in Syria.

Talk of running with the hare and hunting with the hounds!!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles