The Rise of India’s Private Space Sector

Moonlander

Country flag
@Moonlander ISRO will use ADMIRE test vehicle to prove Supersonic retro propulsion & vertical landing, SpaceX used Grasshopper to do the same.
1.How you guys are gonna prove VTVL tech, Are you also planning for a similar kind of tech demonstrater?
2. Isn't it good way to develop a Falcon1 like small LV with a single engine in 1st stage to prove the basic techs instead of directly going for medium LV with 9 engine?
1. We will surely do a hop test.
2. See when designing rockets the major R&D part contributes to man power before component testing and designing. a small rocket is completely different than designing a big one, if you remember spacex wrapped work on Falcon 1 after 4 launches yet it took them 6 more years to come up with falcon 9. If I go with this approach then i am increasing my time and money involved by significant margin while gaining very less on the technology aspect.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
2. See when designing rockets the major R&D part contributes to man power before component testing and designing. a small rocket is completely different than designing a big one, if you remember spacex wrapped work on Falcon 1 after 4 launches yet it took them 6 more years to come up with falcon 9. If I go with this approach then i am increasing my time and money involved by significant margin while gaining very less on the technology aspect.
Ya'll Nibbiars then why not modularity like the ISRO straps boosters?.

Vamsi

Country flag
Yes , small LV is completely different than large LV, it will have different aerodynamics, control Laws etc....I agree with this ...but my point is.....small LV is cheaper than a bigger LV....in small LV u can afford failures when compared to the bigger one....also, the experience, Know-how & know-why we gain during the small LV development will reduce uncertainties during the development of larger LV, which also may reduce the chances of failure for the bigger one.

Moonlander

Country flag
Yes , small LV is completely different than large LV, it will have different aerodynamics, control Laws etc....I agree with this ...but my point is.....small LV is cheaper than a bigger LV....in small LV u can afford failures when compared to the bigger one....also, the experience, Know-how & know-why we gain during the small LV development will reduce uncertainties during the development of larger LV, which also may reduce the chances of failure for the bigger one.
I don't fully agree on that, everything will change surely launching a SLV first will bring confidence and failure in that will cost less money but there is no guarantee that you will succeed in developing a HLV after developing a SLV, like what happens with GSLV or what happened with FALCON 9 in the beginning.

THESIS THORON

Country flag
A small glimpse of what our common area looks like, space industry is all about brainstorming and innovations. All of this is only possible with well being of employees, trying our best to make office as employee friendly as possible.

View attachment 138452

View attachment 138453

View attachment 138454

View attachment 138455

View attachment 138456
nice place :yo:

I had asked a question above, that how much time does it takes to develop a liquid rocket engine.

what are your estimates ??

VACKO

Country flag

Moonlander

Country flag
nice place :yo:

I had asked a question above, that how much time does it takes to develop a liquid rocket engine.

what are your estimates ??
I have worked with teams who took less than 3 months to design, manufacture and build a 18kN engine and i have worked with teams who took over 2 years for 25kN engines. So at the end everything is about how would you like to approach your engine development. Are you willing to flood in some extra money and do rapid prototyping and shorten the team frame required or do you want to follow an economical methodology of hit and trial, followed by computation simulations and analytical approach which for sure slow things down or you can come up with a hybrid, you get what I am saying right ?

VACKO

Country flag
I have worked with teams who took less than 3 months to design, manufacture and build a 18kN engine and i have worked with teams who took over 2 years for 25kN engines. So at the end everything is about how would you like to approach your engine development. Are you willing to flood in some extra money and do rapid prototyping and shorten the team frame required or do you want to follow an economical methodology of hit and trial, followed by computation simulations and analytical approach which for sure slow things down or you can come up with a hybrid, you get what I am saying right ?
Scale of economics.

Swesh

Swesh

STAR Lab is a startup that seem to have developed a sounding rocket named Kalam. They're also into Space education, providing maker spaces for hobbyists etc

Swesh

KALAM is an experimental sounding rocket designed to provide suborbital launch service to test small satellites, payloads, and experiments at an affordable cost. We provide quick and reliable access to space.

KALAM Overview
Height - 8.8 m
Diameter - 0.35 m
Payload Capacity - 20 kg
Max. Apogee - 150 km
Microgravity time - 3 min

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles