The Atheism/Agnosticism Thread

Do you think God exists?

• Total voters

happy

I have no idea what that sentence even meant. Anyone could write random stufdf on the internet without any logic, doesn't make it true.

Anyway, I'll try to debunk the obvious BS on that cringeworthy website.

Every single sentence on this "Mod verified, $420% Albert Einstein approved true story" is convoluted logic or total BS.

1. Mica is abundant.
2. Mica has been used since pre-historic times by the humans.
3. Mica is not used only for power generation.

This one is a very famous hoax story. Here's an analysis of this "giant"

Notice how most of these hoaxes are from a time when it was easy to forge photographs and are from sources with an agenda or cheap abloids.

@Lolladoff Plate : Another famous hoax, I am not going to type out the rest for you, do it on your own time.

Anyway, next time you want to make a claim, back it up with credible sources.
Very convenient @Dovah. Before you start your BS here why didn't you start debunking from the top of the website???

And your reply to Mica is also without any proof.

See, thats the main problem with you guys. I have not talked about the Giant because that is not someones creation, IMHO he is similar to the midget. You have choosed only that to provide your proof conveniently skipping all the rest???

Is it your inability or lack of evidence ???

Last edited by a moderator:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Absolutely right regarding Truth.

As for your modern science, it is just pitifully limited I say.

Luminescense Still Mystery to Science | Modern Mechanix Well, hope your modern science is able to decipher this mystery.
Just because something has not been fully understood by science yet does not mean it has a supernatural explanation or that science has automatically failed at something.

It is because of science that humans have flown probes to the moon and beyond, that we have discovered cures for diseases that once killed millions of people, that we have the means of travel and communication that enable you to have a discussion with me, sitting thousands of miles away from each other.

What has religion given us except endless strife, superstition, extreme suffering and ludicrous explanations of natural events? The problem with science-bashers is that they want to use all the benefits of science without giving up their silly beliefs about God. If you were sincere in your beliefs, you would aspire to live a Middle Age existence and renounce the trappings of modern civilization.

At least atheists are sincere about what they believe in-they completely reject God while making maximum use of technology.

happy

And what precludes an omnipresent Devil or indeed a group of devils?

Please explain how a newborn baby "bears the sin of their parents".
What precludes the Devil ???? Why, its GOD of course. You being an atheist, I shouldn't have expected that from you.

When a man / woman sins and they procreate then a baby born out of sin........what will it be ???? Sinless ???

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Very convenient @Dovah. Before you start your BS here why didn't you start debunking from the top of the website???
Because a lot of it is figment of someone's imagination. How can I disprove something that does not even exist?

Here's a proposition: Harry Potter is actually a biography of some real boy wizard. J.K Rowling is lying when she says it's fiction. Prove me wrong.

And your reply to Mica is also without any proof.
Dafuq? Did you even read that? You disagree that Mica is abundant? It has been used for thousands of years? It can be used for things other than power generation? Read a book ffs!

You have choosed only that to provide your proof conveniently skipping all the rest???
The rest are not even worth commenting on. I do not have time or patience to deal with them all.

Is it your inability or lack of evidence ???
I am actually a reptilian who is here to spread propaganda about these totally true stories that actually happened, so that people remain in darkness and our species can take over the planet. Happy? (no pun intended)

happy

Just because something has not been fully understood by science yet does not mean it has a supernatural explanation or that science has automatically failed at something.

It is because of science that humans have flown probes to the moon and beyond, that we have discovered cures for diseases that once killed millions of people, that we have the means of travel and communication that enable you to have a discussion with me, sitting thousands of miles away from each other.

What has religion given us except endless strife, superstition, extreme suffering and ludicrous explanations of natural events? The problem with science-bashers is that they want to use all the benefits of science without giving up their silly beliefs about God. If you were sincere in your beliefs, you would aspire to live a Middle Age existence and renounce the trappings of modern civilization.

At least atheists are sincere about what they believe in-they completely reject God while making maximum use of technology.
Science is not new today and it has not been discovered in this century or the last. Science is there from the beginning of this world. That was why I have quoted some mysteries in my previous posts. If people of yore were able to do somethings which even we are not able to do today, it was only because of science.

But science is so limited it focuses only on what you can see or feel or hear. It is so incapable of explaining irrational things. The day science can explain irrational things rationally, that day I will agree to your statement.

Bodhi

Tihar Jail
Banned
^
Known-Unknown,

Here are the words of wisdom from Dalai Lama regarding this matter. I have not seen the video posted but will see it and reply to you after that.

"In recent years, I met scientists in the fields of nuclear physics as well as neurology and psychology. Very interesting. We have to learn certain things from their experiments, from their latest findings; and, equally, they show a keen interest to know more about Buddhist explanations of consciousness and mind.

I have raised this question with many people but have never found a satisfactory answer. For example, if we adhere to a position that consciousness is nothing other than a product of the interaction of particles within the brain, we have to say that each consciousness is produced from particles in the brain.

In that case, take the possible experiences in relation to a rose. One person might have the view that this is a plastic rose—that is a mistaken consciousness. Later, he might doubt it, thinking that it might not be a plastic rose, so the mistaken consciousness now turns into a wavering doubt. Then he presumes that it is a natural flower—this is still only a presumption. Finally, through some circumstances, such as touching it or smelling it, he finds that it is a natural rose.

During all these stages, his consciousness is directed toward one single object, but he is passing through these different stages of consciousness: from the mistaken view to doubt, then presumption, and finally from valid cognition to valid perception. He is experiencing different stages of consciousness. But how does one explain that the chemical particles change during these stages?

Another example: We see a person and think he is our friend. But that person is not our friend. We mistake him, and the consciousness is mistaken. When we saw that person, we had an erroneous consciousness. But the moment someone told us that he was not our friend, hearing this sound caused a change from that mistaken perception of the person to a valid perception.

What about the experiences of great meditators? When a practitioner enters a very deep state of meditation, both breathing and heartbeat stop. Some of my friends who practice these things remain without heartbeat and breathing for a few minutes, I think. If someone remains in such a state for a few hours, what is the function of the brain during that time?

On the basis of all this, I am trying to argue that there exists one phenomenon, called consciousness, that has its own entity apart from the brain cells. Although the gross level of consciousness is very closely related to the physical body, it is also naturally related to the brain. But the consciousness of its own nature is something distinct. The subtler consciousness becomes more independent of the physical particles.

That is how the physical functions of a meditator stop when he reaches a deep state of consciousness; yet consciousness is there. At that moment, because the physical functions have stopped, the gross level of consciousness is no more and the subtle level of consciousness becomes obvious."

PS: sorry won't allow me to post links, anybody have any idea how to get my account to post links and photos?

happy

Because a lot of it is figment of someone's imagination. How can I disprove something that does not even exist?

Here's a proposition: Harry Potter is actually a biography of some real boy wizard. J.K Rowling is lying when she says it's fiction. Prove me wrong.

Dafuq? Did you even read that? You disagree that Mica is abundant? It has been used for thousands of years? It can be used for things other than power generation? Read a book ffs!

The rest are not even worth commenting on. I do not have time or patience to deal with them all.

I am actually a reptilian who is here to spread propaganda about these totally true stories that actually happened, so that people remain in darkness and our species can take over the planet. Happy? (no pun intended)
That shows your ignorance and incapability to accept defeat.

You agree that Mica has been used for thousands of years yet you disagree that technology was advanced in olden days.

Nobody asked you to reply immediately. If you are really capable of replying I ask you to take your own time and come up with rational explanations for irrational things or occurrings. Else, you are ample proof of failed theory and headstrong arguments.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
What precludes the Devil ???? Why, its GOD of course. You being an atheist, I shouldn't have expected that from you.

When a man / woman sins and they procreate then a baby born out of sin........what will it be ???? Sinless ???
Sigh. You're one of those fanatic xtians that cannot be reasoned with. So I'd rather not waste my time trying.

Btw even in Christian theology (of which I probably know more than you), the existence of God never precludes the existence of the Devil. They both exist.

happy

^
Known-Unknown,

Here are the words of wisdom from Dalai Lama regarding this matter. I have not seen the video posted but will see it and reply to you after that.

"In recent years, I met scientists in the fields of nuclear physics as well as neurology and psychology. Very interesting. We have to learn certain things from their experiments, from their latest findings; and, equally, they show a keen interest to know more about Buddhist explanations of consciousness and mind.

I have raised this question with many people but have never found a satisfactory answer. For example, if we adhere to a position that consciousness is nothing other than a product of the interaction of particles within the brain, we have to say that each consciousness is produced from particles in the brain.

In that case, take the possible experiences in relation to a rose. One person might have the view that this is a plastic rose—that is a mistaken consciousness. Later, he might doubt it, thinking that it might not be a plastic rose, so the mistaken consciousness now turns into a wavering doubt. Then he presumes that it is a natural flower—this is still only a presumption. Finally, through some circumstances, such as touching it or smelling it, he finds that it is a natural rose.

During all these stages, his consciousness is directed toward one single object, but he is passing through these different stages of consciousness: from the mistaken view to doubt, then presumption, and finally from valid cognition to valid perception. He is experiencing different stages of consciousness. But how does one explain that the chemical particles change during these stages?

Another example: We see a person and think he is our friend. But that person is not our friend. We mistake him, and the consciousness is mistaken. When we saw that person, we had an erroneous consciousness. But the moment someone told us that he was not our friend, hearing this sound caused a change from that mistaken perception of the person to a valid perception.

What about the experiences of great meditators? When a practitioner enters a very deep state of meditation, both breathing and heartbeat stop. Some of my friends who practice these things remain without heartbeat and breathing for a few minutes, I think. If someone remains in such a state for a few hours, what is the function of the brain during that time?

On the basis of all this, I am trying to argue that there exists one phenomenon, called consciousness, that has its own entity apart from the brain cells. Although the gross level of consciousness is very closely related to the physical body, it is also naturally related to the brain. But the consciousness of its own nature is something distinct. The subtler consciousness becomes more independent of the physical particles.

That is how the physical functions of a meditator stop when he reaches a deep state of consciousness; yet consciousness is there. At that moment, because the physical functions have stopped, the gross level of consciousness is no more and the subtle level of consciousness becomes obvious."

PS: sorry won't allow me to post links, anybody have any idea how to get my account to post links and photos?
You can post links after 10 posts or so. :)

BTW this is absolutely right what Dalai Lama has said.

happy

Sigh. You're one of those fanatic xtians that cannot be reasoned with. So I'd rather not waste my time trying.

Btw even in Christian theology (of which I probably know more than you), the existence of God never precludes the existence of the Devil. They both exist.
All the atheists can not explain why somebody has to die in the first place. What constitutes death? What happens after death? You know how somebody is born but you dont know how somebody dies. Your reasoning all lies between these two finites but never beyond.

It is not a matter of christianity. It is a matter of science. I dont agree that both existed simultaneously. I stand by my word that GOD precludes DEVIL.

To be fair to atheists in general, you guys conveniently ignore things that you dont understand.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Science is not new today and it has not been discovered in this century or the last. Science is there from the beginning of this world. That was why I have quoted some mysteries in my previous posts. If people of yore were able to do somethings which even we are not able to do today, it was only because of science.

But science is so limited it focuses only on what you can see or feel or hear. It is so incapable of explaining irrational things. The day science can explain irrational things rationally, that day I will agree to your statement.
You have obviously never heard of quantum physics. Quantum theory is so "irrational", if looked at from the standpoint of "what you can see or feel or hear" i.e. classical physics, that it is mind boggling. In quantum theory things exist simultaneously in multiple different places and times, things that are unconnected by any force or link and separated by millions of kilometers react to change instantaneously and the concept of cause and effect is totally unlinked.

Not only does science have an explanation for "irrational" things, the entire modern fields of electronics, semiconductors, telecommunications etc are based on the understanding of the so-called "irrational" world of quantum mechanics.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
That shows your ignorance and incapability to accept defeat.
I agree. You have completely humiliated me with your flawless logic and irrefutable sources. I accept my defeat.

You agree that Mica has been used for thousands of years yet you disagree that technology was advanced in olden days.
In about 10 years, when you are old enough to understand basic logic, you will laugh at this statement.

Nobody asked you to reply immediately. If you are really capable of replying I ask you to take your own time and come up with rational explanations for irrational things or occurrings. Else, you are ample proof of failed theory and headstrong arguments.
No. I don't have the patience to debunk every pathetic conspiracy theory you come up with.

happy

You have obviously never heard of quantum physics. Quantum theory is so "irrational", if looked at from the standpoint of "what you can see or feel or hear" i.e. classical physics, that it is mind boggling. In quantum theory things exist simultaneously in multiple different places and times, things that are unconnected by any force or link and separated by millions of kilometers react to change instantaneously and the concept of cause and effect is totally unlinked.

Not only does science have an explanation for "irrational" things, the entire modern fields of electronics, semiconductors, telecommunications etc are based on the understanding of the so-called "irrational" world of quantum mechanics.
Oh yeah.....:rofl: It seems you have never heard of "FAILURE OF QUANTUM THEORY / MECHANICS"

happy

i agree. You have completely humiliated me with your flawless logic and irrefutable sources. I accept my defeat.

In about 10 years, when you are old enough to understand basic logic, you will laugh at this statement.

No. I don't have the patience to debunk every pathetic conspiracy theory you come up with.
i rest my case. You have proven to me your worth. Actually, if you did not have that patience, you should not have involved in this discussion.

Last edited:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
All the atheists can not explain why somebody has to die in the first place. What constitutes death? What happens after death? You know how somebody is born but you dont know how somebody dies. Your reasoning all lies between these two finites but never beyond.

It is not a matter of christianity. It is a matter of science. I dont agree that both existed simultaneously. I stand by my word that GOD precludes DEVIL.

To be fair to atheists in general, you guys conveniently ignore things that you dont understand.
Look, the arguments you are making are so primary, they show a basic lack of knowledge of scientific advances in the past four or five decades.

1. Why does anyone have to die? All things undergo wear and tear, whether its living things or machines. You cannot expect your brand new BMW to stay brand new 50 years from now, so why do you expect living things to live forever? All complex organisms are made up of thousands of inter-connecting and interdependent subsystems. As organisms age, these subsystems undergo damage at the cellular or DNA level which can be managed and repaired when one is young, but as the damage accumulates and the repair process slows down, eventually one of these subsystems fails and the person is either afflicted with a health problem (e.g. diabetes), or dies (cancer).

On the other hand, there are some organisms which would ordinarily never die, the most prominent examples being viruses. However viruses are extremely simple organisms (just a few strands of RNA wrapped inside a shell) hence they are subject to far fewer disorderly tendencies.

So things are far more complex than your argument supposes. There are things that don't "have to" die and there are those that do die because of the ordinary process of wear and tear.

2. What constitutes death? Cessation of all brain activity-this one's simple. However death is not an event, it is a process. First the heart stops, then the brain dies, then the major organs fail and eventually all the cells of the body die. However for practical purposes, brain death is considered to be a final death since a person cannot be revived after this stage.

3. What happens after death? Nothing. Your body decomposes and gets eaten by worms if buried. And if cremated, ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

happy

Look, the arguments you are making are so primary, they show a basic lack of knowledge of scientific advances in the past four or five decades.

1. Why does anyone have to die? All things undergo wear and tear, whether its living things or machines. You cannot expect your brand new BMW to stay brand new 50 years from now, so why do you expect living things to live forever? All complex organisms are made up of thousands of inter-connecting and interdependent subsystems. As organisms age, these subsystems undergo damage at the cellular or DNA level which can be managed and repaired when one is young, but as the damage accumulates and the repair process slows down, eventually one of these subsystems fails and the person is either afflicted with a health problem (e.g. diabetes), or dies (cancer).

On the other hand, there are some organisms which would ordinarily never die, the most prominent examples being viruses. However viruses are extremely simple organisms (just a few strands of RNA wrapped inside a shell) hence they are subject to far fewer disorderly tendencies.

So things are far more complex than your argument supposes. There are things that don't "have to" die and there are those that do die because of the ordinary process of wear and tear.

2. What constitutes death? Cessation of all brain activity-this one's simple. However death is not an event, it is a process. First the heart stops, then the brain dies, then the major organs fail and eventually all the cells of the body die. However for practical purposes, brain death is considered to be a final death since a person cannot be revived after this stage.

3. What happens after death? Nothing. Your body decomposes and gets eaten by worms if buried. And if cremated, ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
On the contrary, virus needs a host to live, without which it dies, period. It shows you are ignorant of even science.

The rest very typical atheist arguments. As I said, you can only comprehend things that are rational.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
^
Known-Unknown,

Here are the words of wisdom from Dalai Lama regarding this matter. I have not seen the video posted but will see it and reply to you after that.......
It's a bunch of meaningless gobbledygook. It is impossible for a human being to be "without breathing or heartbeat" for a few "hours". If the DL knows someone who can do this, he should ask them to get tested by a doctor (preferably a psychiatrist :lol:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
geoBR Atheism and Orthodoxy in Modern Russia General Multimedia 1
The3Amigos China auto thread China 332
JaguarWarrior Russian civil aviation thread Europe and Russia 44
JaguarWarrior Russia auto thread Europe and Russia 926