The Atheism/Agnosticism Thread

Do you think God exists?

• Total voters

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
When did i say so?

I do not find anything wrong with identity politics as long as identity is not the only criteria.
1. You said something about this in the kerala thread. I am not using my computer, or else i can post it here.

2. But most of the time, Indian Democracy is always about identity(be it religion, caste, language) rather than development(gdp, infrastructure, health care,investment). And you are ok with that, atleast thats what you said in that thread.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Believers get false hope from religion. That solves nothing. It world be much better if we rather focus on the problem at hand rather than blame everythin on god or even Worse, sacrificing goats(wtf) to bring development. Advocating female imprisonment under the guise of religion, can this be justified just by saying religion gives comfort?

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Nahh, many people are Atheists either due to sheer laziness/apathy or because atheism is "kewl". :p

Iamanidiot

Nahh, many people are Atheists either due to sheer laziness/apathy or because atheism is "kewl". :p
Lurker there is atendency of people becoming agnostic and atheist after great internal agony in searching for god.Cow pee connseiurs pout pure crap.
Buddha,Mahavira and the Sikh Gurus are all agnostics

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
even by you logic even if people are atheist for being cool or because they are lazy, they know more about the flaws in religion and are not idiots like the religious holy ones who trust false prophets(holy ones like NITYANANDA or PREMANANDA). Atleast they are sane enough not to blindly trust things(or not lazy enough to accept every thing without thinking or question)

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Lurker there is atendency of people becoming agnostic and atheist after great internal agony in searching for god.Cow pee connseiurs pout pure crap.
hundred likes

warriorextreme

Country flag
have to disagree with that..
do you know meaning of "ik omkar" ?

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
IMO Atheists are of three types:

1.People who never really cared about religion, due to ignorance/apathy. These folk are actually quite vulnerable and are frequently converted into "born-again" types.

2. People who've been blown over by the polemics of Hitchens, Dawkins etc. They frequently use "appeal to authority" in their arguments and rarely apply their own intelligence.

3. Small minority, who've actually explored the concept of god (in all religions) and then come to a conclusion.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Whatever the reason it is, we are more sane in not believing in stupid rituals or double standards in religions. Take hinduism for instance, does the goes vishnu and siva preach for two wives for every man????

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
though i feel i am 70% deistic, i believe in superiority of science above all else and god/super natural explanation should be given for things which cannot be explained only by science . Morals should be based on science relevant to 21st century, not by some archaic laws or books, for instance smoking should be criticised not because its against religion, but because its a health hazard for the person and the public.
That is exactly what Diasm is but i think your leaning towards Advitha, Non-duality and J.Krishnamurti sorts?

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Atheist know more about religion than Theists!

This could be valid when talking about the historical (political, social, economic) backgrounds and present day political, social and economic aspects of religion/s. But the same cannot be said about the subjective part, religious experience and individual high and satisfaction that believers derive out of their religions.

p.s. I'm not religious.
Those individual experience or relation with God is very well studied and considered by Atheists. It is a form of delusional placebo effect to run away from all your worldly problems by inventing a deep relationship. Much like the mental patient but this one is socially exceptable.

Like Sam Harris once said; "George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and Christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."

It is indeed absurd when someone says he talks to God or an Invisible man in a room.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Those individual experience or relation with God is very well studied and considered by Atheists. It is a form of delusional placebo effect to run away from all your worldly problems by inventing a deep relationship. Much like the mental patient but this one is socially exceptable.

Like Sam Harris once said; "George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and Christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."

It is indeed absurd when someone says he talks to God or an Invisible man in a room.
are you a psychologist mate, because the explanation you gave is exactly the reason the psychologists give for the personal experiences regarding god

and probably you are right i might become a deist , atleast thats where i am leaning. Wait for few days, i can post several delusions regarding Hinduism, Christianity and Islam. If possible i will add some other stupid religions too.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
What atheists can learn from Religion
By Alain de Botton, Special to CNN
February 26, 2012

Editor's note: Alain de Botton is the author of a new book "Religion for Atheists" and of "How Proust Can Change Your Life." He is the founder of Home - The School of Life and of an architectural organisation called Living Architecture. Holidays in modern architecture.. He spoke at the TED Global conference in Edinburgh, Scotland, last year. TED is a nonprofit dedicated to "Ideas worth spreading" which it makes available through talks posted on its website.
London (CNN) -- Probably the most boring question you can ask about religion is whether or not the whole thing is "true." Unfortunately, recent public discussions on religion have focused obsessively on precisely this issue, with a hardcore group of fanatical believers pitting themselves against an equally small band of fanatical atheists.

I prefer a different tack. To my mind, of course, no part of religion is true in the sense of being God-given. It seems clear that there is no holy ghost, spirit, geist or divine emanation. The real issue is not whether God exists or not, but where one takes the argument to if one concludes he doesn't. I believe it must be possible to remain a committed atheist and nevertheless to find religions sporadically useful, interesting and consoling -- and be curious as to the possibilities of importing certain of their ideas and practices into the secular realm.

One can be left cold by the doctrines of the Christian Trinity and the Buddhist Fivefold Path and yet at the same time be interested in the ways in which religions deliver sermons, promote morality, engender a spirit of community, make use of art and architecture, inspire travels, train minds and encourage gratitude at the beauty of spring. In a world beset by fundamentalists of believing and secular varieties, it must be possible to balance a rejection of religious faith with a selective reverence for religious rituals and concepts.

It is when we stop believing that religions have been handed down from above or else that they are entirely daft that matters become more interesting.
We can then recognize that we invented religions to serve two central needs which continue to this day and which secular society has not been able to solve with any particular skill: firstly, the need to live together in communities in harmony, despite our deeply rooted selfish and violent impulses. And secondly, the need to cope with terrifying degrees of pain which arise from our vulnerability to professional failure, to troubled relationships, to the death of loved ones and to our decay and demise.

God may be dead, but the urgent issues which impelled us to make him up still stir and demand resolutions which do not go away when we have been nudged to perceive some scientific inaccuracies in the tale of the seven loaves and fishes.

The error of modern atheism has been to overlook how many sides of the faiths remain relevant even after their central tenets have been dismissed. Once we cease to feel that we must either prostrate ourselves before them or denigrate them, we are free to discover religions as a repository of occasionally ingenious concepts with which we can try to assuage a few of the most persistent and unattended ills of secular life.

Secular society has been unfairly impoverished by the loss of an array of practices and themes which atheists typically find it impossible to live with. We have grown frightened of the word morality. We bridle at the thought of hearing a sermon. We flee from the idea that art should be uplifting or have an ethical mission. We don't go on pilgrimages. We can't build temples. We have no mechanisms for expressing gratitude.

The notion of reading a self-help book has become absurd to the high-minded. We resist mental exercises. Strangers rarely sing together. We are presented with an unpleasant choice between either committing to peculiar concepts about immaterial deities or letting go entirely of a host of consoling, subtle or just charming rituals for which we struggle to find equivalents in secular society.

Religions merit our attention for their sheer conceptual ambition; for changing the world in a way that few secular institutions ever have. They have managed to combine theories about ethics and metaphysics with practical involvement in education, fashion, politics, travel, hostelry, initiation ceremonies, publishing, art and architecture -- a range of interests which puts to shame the scope of the achievements of even the greatest and most influential secular movements and individuals in history.

For those interested in the spread and impact of ideas, it is hard not to be mesmerized by examples of the most successful educational and intellectual movements the planet has ever witnessed.

There are sides of religions that are timely and consoling even for skeptical contemporary minds. Atheists can learn to rescue some of what is beautiful, touching and wise from all that no longer seems true. The wisdom of the faiths belongs to all of mankind, even the most rational among us, and deserves to be selectively reabsorbed by the supernatural's greatest enemies. Religions are intermittently too useful, effective and intelligent to be abandoned to the religious alone.

What atheists can learn from religion - CNN.com

Poseidon

Country flag
Do you think God exists.

What are your opinions on this?
Do you believe in God?

I am of the opinion(every entitled to one) that Human beings created god when they realized their own potential.They were unable to explain many natural events and they looked towards a imaginary character who in an imaginary place called Heaven.The natural human fear of death lead to the birth of concepts like Heaven and Hell which are present in every religion.
It is also possible that some extra terrestrials visited us thousands of years back and we started regarding them as god.

P.S.:I am not an hardcore atheist but more of an agnostic.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Actually no one knows that.
But even if this God/Bhagwan/Allah exists he/she must one smart a$$,he has kept us in confusion for centuries.:rofl:

Poll added.
No one knows...thats precisely why he doesn't exist.

Else tomorrow some people might imagine another being and then this same point will come up whether he exists or not.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Didn't we have this in some other thread?

Well I hope at least this thread unites Hindus and Muslims here in taking on the atheists :rofl:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
geoBR Atheism and Orthodoxy in Modern Russia General Multimedia 1
The3Amigos China auto thread China 332
JaguarWarrior Russian civil aviation thread Europe and Russia 44
JaguarWarrior Russia auto thread Europe and Russia 926