The Atheism/Agnosticism Thread

Do you think God exists?

• Total voters

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I'm not a Buddhist but freelancer in religion though I practice what Buddha said! I can either believes in god or not so I chose the latter based on scientific and rational evidence. Well actually Agnostics are not sitting on the fence rather falls in the gods side but believing in a god which is not materialistic but practical such as the universal laws.
I am also some what like that, for the lack of a better term i believe in non-duality of life. Buddha himself said if you see him again kill him.

Agnostics are not one type there are many who are fence sitters waiting for some confirmation or to jump to some side.

HeinzGud

Country flag
What did you mean by
Buddha himself said if you see him again kill him.
As far as I know Buddha didn't order anyone to kill anything!

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
This is the essence of Buddhist teaching, a Sanskrit, rendition in Chinese voice; Enjoy if one understands this;

Last edited by a moderator:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
For further interests:

The Heart Sutra: Prajnaparamita-Hridaya-Sutra
Om namo bhagavatyai arya-prajnaparamitayai!

Om! Salutation to the blessed and noble one! (who has reached the other shore of the most excellent transcendental wisdom).

(In this invocation the perfection of transcendental wisdom is personified as the compassionate mother of bodhi -- wisdom -- who bestows enlightenment upon the bodhisattvas who had vigilantly followed the course prescribed for the aspirant to full enlightenment -- samyak sambodhi.)

Verse 1

arya-avalokitesvaro bodhisattvo gambhiram prajnaparamitacaryam caramano vyavalokayati sma: panca-skandhas tams ca svabhavasunyan pasyati sma. The noble bodhisattva, Avalokitesvara, being engaged in practicing the deep transcendental wisdom-discipline, looked down from above upon the five skandhas (aggregates), and saw that in their svabhava (self-being) they are devoid of substance.

Verse 2

iha sariputra rupam sunyata sunyataiva rupam, rupan na prithak sunyata sunyataya na prithag rupam, yad rupam sa sunyata ya sunyata tad rupam; evam eva vedana-samjna-samskara-vijnanam. Here, O Sariputra, bodily-form is voidness; verily, voidness is bodily-form. Apart from bodily-form there is no voidness; so apart from voidness there is no bodily-form. That which is voidness is bodily-form; that which is bodily-form is voidness. Likewise (the four aggregates) feeling, perception, mental imaging, and consciousness (are devoid of substance).

Verse 3

iha sariputra sarva-dharmah sunyata-laksala, anutpanna aniruddha, amala avimala, anuna aparipurnah.
Here, O Sariputra, all phenomena of existence are characterized by voidness: neither born nor annihilated, neither blemished nor immaculate, neither deficient nor overfilled.

Verse 4

tasmac chariputra sunyatayam na rupam na vedana na samjna na samskarah na vijnanam. na caksuh-srotra-ghrana-jihva-kaya-manamsi. na rupa-sabda-gandha-rasa-sprastavya-dharmah. na caksur-dhatur yavan na manovijnana-dhatuh. na-avidya na-avidya-ksayo yavan na jaramaranam na jara-marana-ksayo. na duhkha-samudaya-nirodha-marga. na jnanam, na praptir na-apraptih.

Therefore, O Sariputra, in voidness there is no bodily-form, no feeling, no mental imaging, no consciousness; no eye, ear, nose, tongue, body, or mind; no sense objects of bodily-form, sound, smell, taste, or touchable states; no visual element, and so forth, until one comes to no mind-cognition element. There is no ignorance, nor extinction of ignorance, until we come to: no aging and death, nor extinction of aging and death. There is no suffering, no origination, no cessation, no path; there is no higher knowledge, no attainment (of nirvana), no nonattainment.

Verse 5

tasmac chariputra apraptitvad bodhisattvasya prajnaparamitam asritya vibaraty acittavaranah. cittavarana-nastitvad atrasto viparyasa-ati-kranto nistha-nirvana-praptah.

Therefore, O Sariputra, by reason of his nonattainment (of nirvana), the bodhisattva, having resorted to prajnaparamita (transcendental wisdom), dwells serenely with perfect mental freedom. By his non-possession of mental impediments (the bodhisattva) without fear, having surpassed all perversions, attains the unattainable (bliss of) nirvana.

Verse 6

tryadhva-vyavasthitah sarva-buddhah prajnaparamitam asritya-anut-taram samyaksambodhim abhisambuddhah.

All Buddhas, self-appointed to appear in the three periods of time (past, present, and future), having resorted to the incomparable prajnaparamita, have become fully awake to samyak sambodhi (absolute perfect enlightenment).

Verse 7

tasmaj jnatavyam: prajnaparamita maha-mantro mahavidya-mantro 'nuttara-mantro samasama-mantrah, sarva-duhkha-prasamanah, satyam amithyatvat. prajnaparamitayam ukto mantrah. tadyatha: gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha. iti prajnaparamita-hridayam sa-maptam.
Therefore prajnaparamita should be recognized as the great mantra, the mantra of great wisdom, the most sublime mantra, the incomparable mantra and the alleviator of all suffering; it is truth by reason of its being nonfalsehood. This is the mantra proclaimed in prajnaparamita. It is:

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha!
Gone, gone, gone beyond, gone altogether beyond (to the other shore)! O enlightenment! Be it so! Hail!

This concludes Prajnaparamita-Hridaya-Sutra.

HeinzGud

Country flag
^^^^^ What the heck is that??? This is not a sutra Buddha said but a Mahayanic crap (sorry about that)! These kind of Sutras are called Shrawaka deshana or Apostle teachings!

Last edited:

Nagraj

IMO concept of athism as is popularly known is too westernized and doesn't work well when it comes to dharmic religions which gives the right to deny existence of god. well i havn't found a solution. e.g i don't believe in any god but i do believe in the philosophy. so i call myself hindu atheist. well i hope it will mature over time.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
^^^^^ What the heck is that??? This is not a sutra Buddha said but a Mahayanic crap (sorry about that)! These kind of Sutras are called Shrawaka deshana or Apostle teachings!
and what is your Thervada crap??

HeinzGud

Country flag
and what is your Thervada crap??
Yes both Mahayana and Theravada are two big $#!% holes trying to prove the right side. However Theravada is kind a close to the what Buddha said!

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
That what you call crap is by Avalokitteswarara and universally accepted by all Buddhist and very famous amongst Tharavada Buddhists of Thailand and adjoining countries.

You must be nuts to call that as crap.

Read the meaning first.

HeinzGud

Country flag
That what you call crap is by Avalokitteswarara and universally accepted by all Buddhist and very famous amongst Tharavada Buddhists of Thailand and adjoining countries.

You must be nuts to call that as crap.

Read the meaning first.
Actually the concept of Bodhisathwa is not what Buddha perched, it was added later to appease the masses. If you consider SL, our Buddhist don't worship Avalokitteswarara but leaned more towards Hindu gods like Vishnu due to the past Tamil connections....

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Actually the concept of Bodhisathwa is not what Buddha perched, it was added later to appease the masses. If you consider SL, our Buddhist don't worship Avalokitteswarara but leaned more towards Hindu gods like Vishnu due to the past Tamil connections....
Sri Lanka was always part of India and culturally we are one.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Ha Ha .. If one believes in rebirth then the concept of rebirth and past lives of Buddha can not be negated. Buddhism is all about Moksha from this cycle.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Ha Ha .. If one believes in rebirth then the concept of rebirth and past lives of Buddha can not be negated. Buddhism is all about Moksha from this cycle.
Ha Ha Ha...... Buddhism dosen't talk about mere rebirth which is also called reincarnation or punarjanma. It is talk about Punarbhava which is not born again with a constant soul but born again as a new being with new soul which bow to the universal laws therefore in Buddha's teachings there is no gods, demons or ghosts cuz Buddha's teachings bow to the universal laws.

Past lives of Buddha are just stories to enhance the teachings of Buddha.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Ha Ha Ha...... Buddhism dosen't talk about mere rebirth which is also called reincarnation or punarjanma. It is talk about Punarbhava which is not born again with a constant soul but born again as a new being with new soul which bow to the universal laws therefore in Buddha's teachings there is no gods, demons or ghosts cuz Buddha's teachings bow to the universal laws.

Past lives of Buddha are just stories to enhance the teachings of Buddha.

Follow what you understand

ashicjose

majority i found nonbeliever here.
the one who saying there is no god is the biggest fool on THE earth.LOOK AROUND YOU,the planet you living,the stars and the moon you see how it doing their duty with out any fault.

we all know how the rain happens.......(sun evaporates the water and it becomes rain.
if is that the case we should get the rain mostly in summer season RIGHT?
next why we are getting summer season on summer season ,winter on winter season.......ALL THIS HAPPENING ONLY BECAUSE THE MERCY OF AL MIGHTY.

warriorextreme

Country flag
i dont want to sound hurtful to budhists but budhism is the reason for invasions of india....budhism made our swords rusty...i would support atheism over religions like budhism and jainism..

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
geoBR Atheism and Orthodoxy in Modern Russia General Multimedia 1
The3Amigos China auto thread China 332
JaguarWarrior Russian civil aviation thread Europe and Russia 44
JaguarWarrior Russia auto thread Europe and Russia 926