The Atheism/Agnosticism Thread

Do you think God exists?

• Total voters

Ancient Indian

p = np :)
Buddha's rejected the Brahman claims. There is no way to Nirvana other than mastering your own mind. Meditation is the method to master your own mind.
Buddha rejected brahman claims because it was necessary at the time.

Buddhism was kind of weapon he used on our ancient brahmins(a section of our people). At the time, brahmins were kind of dicks to our society. They kind of trapped the people in their traps.

Buddha at the time, kind of rejected all these bad things, started separate branch of moksha branch freeing the people from all rituals.

In our old days, the fight b/w kings and Brahmins was biggest problem.

If budha rejected Brahman, it was just name that he rejected. Everything is same in our scriptures and Buddha's teaching.

Edit: About meditation,

So meditation is the main way in buddhism. No wonder, It was fallen to this level, if they are teaching you this crap.

Main quality of Buddhism is not meditation. Meditation is not in the main doctrines.
It is love which was taught by Him at the time.

Loving every thing in the creation with big heart. That is the main teaching of Him.

Last edited:

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Buddha's rejected the Brahman claims. There is no way to Nirvana other than mastering your own mind. Meditation is the method to master your own mind.
might i say there is no just 'one' way or 'one-suit-fits-all'. all trails lead to the mountaintop. but yes, meditation/self-contemplation/one-pointedness/bindu-bhedan is the base of them all in a few varied forms.

HeinzGud

Country flag
might i say there is no just 'one' way or 'one-suit-fits-all'. all trails lead to the mountaintop. but yes, meditation/self-contemplation/one-pointedness/bindu-bhedan is the base of them all in a few varied forms.
According to Buddha there is no other way.

Illusive

Country flag
If everybody starts meditating, who's gonna make my morning tea :laugh:.

And what is meditation, i tried once but i fell asleep. Do i need to keep my senses open to whats happening surrounding me?

HeinzGud

Country flag
Buddha rejected brahman claims because it was necessary at the time.

Buddhism was kind of weapon he used on our ancient brahmins(a section of our people). At the time, brahmins were kind of dicks to our society. They kind of trapped the people in their traps.

Buddha at the time, kind of rejected all these bad things, started separate branch of moksha branch freeing the people from all rituals.

In our old days, the fight b/w kings and Brahmins was biggest problem.

If budha rejected Brahman, it was just name that he rejected. Everything is same in our scriptures and Buddha's teaching.

Edit: About meditation,

So meditation is the main way in buddhism. No wonder, It was fallen to this level, if they are teaching you this crap.

Main quality of Buddhism is not meditation. Meditation is not in the main doctrines.
It is love which was taught by Him at the time.

Loving every thing in the creation with big heart. That is the main teaching of Him.
Buddha rejected Brahman claims because they were all wrong. Buddha followed Brahman teachings and realized that what he learnt was wrong. So he went on his own path and attained Nirvana.

No Buddhism and Brahmanism is not similar. The main objective of Buddhism is to liberate ones soul from the Sansara. The method to be used is mastering ones own mind. Meditation is the way to master ones own mind.

Buddha didn't teach anyone to love everything. What he taught was that all living beings love their lives and taking someones life is wrong. Anyhow love is only a small part of Buddha's teachings. It's not the essence of it.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag

And what is meditation, i tried once but i fell asleep. Do i need to keep my senses open to whats happening surrounding me?
meditation is different from sleep in terms of awareness, but you don't deliberately keep your senses open to your surroundings, otherwise the whole purpose of meditating is wasted. but how's that possible? to achieve atleast this basic prelim stage, I've personally experienced 3 things as prerequisites for practice of meditation:

1. moderate (or at times heavy) exercise/physical regimen....prior Bodhidharma arrived at the Shaolin temple, the monks there still used to meditate, but what he found was that they frequently used to fall asleep doing so. his remedy for that? the movements that he devised (after meditating himself solitarily) for the monks to practice. an active body and an aware/sharp mind are well-suited for meditation, and also esp. when that extra bubbling energy has been taken care of, whereafter the mind-body achieve a kind of stable equilibrium, more so, speaking in the modern man's context.

2. before beginning meditation, practice concentration first - its kind of meditation with eyes, ears and the senses deliberately open, but focused on one thing/objective. focus keeps the mind set on one thing/objective, away from distractions. one with a good focus can meditate well. a good exercise for that? Traatak.

3. this point is a small one and can be related to the 2nd one...the practice of sitting for long time without physical & mental restlessness. this may sound trivial, but is a tough thing to achieve for many. however with the practice of the 2nd (and the 1st too), this gets developed.

HeinzGud

Country flag

Indeed. Everyone cannot achieve Nirvana. That's the reality.

There are many types of mediation methods. First you must learn the most simple ones like concentrating on your own breathing. I'm not a expert or novice in meditation. You should consult a monk who trains people on meditation. There are lot of places to teach meditation in Sri Lanka. Meditating without proper techniques is very dangerous.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
@HeinzGud - may we know what you imply by 'Brahman teachings'/'Brahmanism'? thought to ask as the terms sound similar to what were used by the british (with the connotations we all are aware of).

HeinzGud

Country flag
@HeinzGud - may we know what you imply by 'Brahman teachings'/'Brahmanism'? thought to ask as the terms sound similar to what were used by the british (with the connotations we all are aware of).
The teaching of castes, rituals, god worship things like that.

Ancient Indian

Buddha rejected Brahman claims because they were all wrong. Buddha followed Brahman teachings and realized that what he learnt was wrong. So he went on his own path and attained Nirvana.

No Buddhism and Brahmanism is not similar. The main objective of Buddhism is to liberate ones soul from the Sansara. The method to be used is mastering ones own mind. Meditation is the way to master ones own mind.

Buddha didn't teach anyone to love everything. What he taught was that all living beings love their lives and taking someones life is wrong. Anyhow love is only a small part of Buddha's teachings. It's not the essence of it.
So ancestors of Buddha are wrong and he is right.
Thats how we still have vedic rituals and everything.

You are mistaking Brahman with Braqhmin caste. COme on dude, Read few of our scriptures, you may learn few things.
Claiming Buddh created whole new out of nothing is pure non-sense. He sold old thing under new new name. Because of this claim, Buddhism lost credibility in India.
:pound::crazy: What kind of nonsense is that? Don't show your desperation.
I am showing desperation. Yes that's it.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag

You are mistaking Brahman with Braqhmin caste. COme on dude, Read few of our scriptures, you may learn few things.
Claiming Buddh created whole new out of nothing is pure non-sense. He sold old thing under new new name. Because of this claim, Buddhism lost credibility in India.

for all the negative connotations attached to 'brahmanic' rituals etc., buddhism itself quickly amalgamated them unto it. its said that Buddha on his deathbed had said to his disciples that i tried to show you the moon but you kept staring at my pointing finger. although i have no qualms with either buddhism or rituals (in awe of and impressioned by Yogi Milarepa as well as a famous, strict and accomplished karmakaandi Banaras Pandit) know, provided followed (utmost) properly/well-meaningly, as am aware of/about the efficacy of each (and more); only a bit of gripe with too much of 'my way or my way'.

Last edited:

Ancient Indian

for all the negative connotations attached to 'brahmanic' rituals etc., buddhism itself quickly amalgamated them unto it. its said that Buddha on his deathbed had said to his disciples that i tried to show you the moon but you kept staring at my pointing finger. although i have no qualms with either buddhism or rituals, provided followed properly, as i know about the efficacy of each (and more); only gripe is with too much of 'my way or my way'.
That is the problem with these guys.
Here I am discussing about Brahman and he quickly started dressing it down saying that because of lack its credibility, Buddha started some thing new out of nothing. Like vedic rituals are some bogus thing.
In our country, we have infinity ways to reach moksha.
It's Indians who taught the world wisdom, now everyone preaching these things to us.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
That is the problem with these guys.
Here I am discussing about Brahman and he quickly started dressing it down saying that because of lack its credibility, Buddha started some thing new out of nothing. Like vedic rituals are some bogus thing.
In our country, we have infinity ways to reach moksha.
It's Indians who taught the world wisdom, now everyone preaching these things to us.
Buddha was without a doubt one great Yogi and reformer/reviver who was needed in that age & time. however, what 'hinduism' what 'buddhism' what any 'ism', everyone/thing eventually devolve with time (to fall down is the natural order of things), when again reforms/pruning/revival is required. one of the most important teachings of Buddha was regarding the practice of moderation; and this is perhaps the most overlooked pearl by most. too much of anything (or too less) is not beneficial. therein lies one very crucial gist.

P.S. - you may check my earlier post again. i edited it.

Ancient Indian

Buddha was without a doubt one great Yogi and reformer/reviver who was needed in that age & time. however, what 'hinduism' what 'buddhism' what any 'ism', everyone/thing eventually devolve with time (to fall down is the natural order of things), when again reforms/pruning/revival is required. one of the most important teachings of Buddha was regarding the practice of moderation; and this is perhaps the most overlooked pearl by most. too much of anything (or too less) is not beneficial.
That is what our elders saying from start. Buddha is reformer. But these guys want to detach Buddhism from our legacy and claim it as theirs.
Like Buddha born in India accidentally and that is to it. No more credit to us.
I had this kind of debate in few other religious forums. Theme is same here.

HeinzGud

Country flag

On attaining Nirvana. Yes. His ancestors were wrong. Buddha didn't have to invent anything. When he was meditating, knowledge regarding the subject was widely available. Buddha just improved upon them. And showed us the path to the Nirvana. You people know nothing about Buddhism. That's why you think it's as same as Brahmanism.

HeinzGud

Country flag
That is what our elders saying from start. Buddha is reformer. But these guys want to detach Buddhism from our legacy and claim it as theirs.
Like Buddha born in India accidentally and that is to it. No more credit to us.
I had this kind of debate in few other religious forums. Theme is same here.
There is no meaning in claiming legacies. If you like claim it as yours. The point is to learn what is right.

Ancient Indian

On attaining Nirvana. Yes. His ancestors were wrong. Buddha didn't have to invent anything. When he was meditating, knowledge regarding the subject was widely available. Buddha just improved upon them. And showed us the path to the Nirvana. You people know nothing about Buddhism. That's why you think it's as same as Brahmanism.
His ancestors were never wrong.
At the time of his enlightenment, our country going through a phase.
The two main two sections of our society which are Brahmins and Khsatriya were at odds. Brahmins made the whole god thing very complicated. So he got tired of all these rituals and non-sense started his own branch of Moksha.

I think you are not getting my point.
Brahman which I am referring to is different from Brahmin which is section of people.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
geoBR Atheism and Orthodoxy in Modern Russia General Multimedia 1
The3Amigos China auto thread China 332
JaguarWarrior Russian civil aviation thread Europe and Russia 44
JaguarWarrior Russia auto thread Europe and Russia 926