Sukhoi Su 30MKI

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
If I remember correctly India purchased more R-77s after February. I don’t remember anything about the R-73M unless I missed something.
If I recall correctly, the reason Indian Airforce had Hastily ordered stocks of R-27 and R-77-1 after the 27th February because the R-77s which were being used by IAF before 27th February were from Ukraine and we're found to be inferior to AMRAAM AIM-120C5.
~
Feel free to Correct me if I am wrong anywhere.

Super Flanker

Country flag
I believe only 8 MKIs/Su-30s have crashed since India started operating the aircraft in 1997.
No. From 1997 to today, indian Airforce has lost 10 SU-30 MKIs. Actually it was supposed to 11 but the 11th SU-30 MKI Which crashed was supposedly repaired by HAL and put into service with IAF. If you want more information than refer here:

Super Flanker

Country flag
WTF?
As far I know it was a Russian Flanker.
Why is it labeled as Su 30 MKI

View attachment 137053
That's not true. This was not a SU-30 MKI. It was a SU-30MK. This Incident took place on 12 June 1999 when a Russian Su-30MK crashed at the Paris Air Show, Le Bourget, France. Both pilots ejected safely and no one was hurt on the ground as a result of the Crash.

Many sources were reporting it as SU-30 MKI but I think so the reason for this Mis-reporting was that SU-30 MK and SU 30 MKI sound nearly exactly the same.

Super Flanker

Country flag

ISPR statement: 4 indian Su-30 MKIs shot down for the loss of just 1 JF-17. Alhamdullilah!
Problem with SU-30 MKI is its High RCS which can result in it getting Detected 1st and get shot at using BVRs by Aircrafts like JF 17 Block 3, F-16 etc. We need to do something with regards to its RCS. Will something be done about it under Super Sukhoi Upgrade?

SU-30 MKI does have some advantages attributed to it because of its Size. It can carry more Missiles Because it has more weight carrying Capacity and more Pylons than JF 17 block 3. So it has an Edge there. JF 17 block 3 has used Composites in it and is Smaller in size than SU-30 MKI which is probably the only place where it has edge Against SU-30 MKI and maybe even in BVR. JF 17 Block 3 has edge in BVR with its PL-15(I and not sure how true that claim is but let's say that JF 17 has PL-15 with 140+ kms range). SU-30 MKI has R-77 on it. Overall other than that after Super Sukhoi Upgrade, SU-30 MKI will become a very strong Aircraft and We will definitely be able to knock out many PAF Junk fighter 17 and F-16s with it.

Correct me if I am wrong about anything anywhere.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Problem with SU-30 MKI is its High RCS which can result in it getting Detected 1st and get shot at using BVRs by Aircrafts like JF 17 Block 3, F-16 etc. We need to do something with regards to its RCS. Will something be done about it under Super Sukhoi Upgrade?

SU-30 MKI does have some advantages attributed to it because of its Size. It can carry more Missiles Because it has more weight carrying Capacity and more Pylons than JF 17 block 3. So it has an Edge there. JF 17 block 3 has used Composites in it and is Smaller in size than SU-30 MKI which is probably the only place where it has edge Against SU-30 MKI and maybe even in BVR. JF 17 Block 3 has edge in BVR with its PL-15( I and not sure how true that claim is but let's say that JF 17 has PL-15 with 140+ kms range). SU-30 MKI has R-77 on it. Overall other than that after Super Sukhoi Upgrade, SU-30 MKI will become a very strong Aircraft and We will definitely be able to knock out many PAF Junk fighter 17 and F-16s with it.
Seems like you have been sniffing Pakistani dumps again.

A bigger body also means a bigger radar with more power (to detect your JF-17 Block 72 Hoors) at longer ranges.
A bigger body also means more power and T/W ratio to kinetically dodge missiles.
A bigger body also means the ability to carry behemoth electronic warfare equipment to blind enemy fighters and turn their radars into Microwave ovens.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Seems like you have been sniffing Pakistani dumps again.

A bigger body also means a bigger radar with more power (to detect your JF-17 Block 72 Hoors) at longer ranges.
A bigger body also means more power and T/W ratio to kinetically dodge missiles.
A bigger body also means the ability to carry behemoth electronic warfare equipment to blind enemy fighters and turn their radars into Microwave ovens.
It's not about Blindly Believing what the Other Side thinks. It's about Knowing what your enemy is thinking and never underestimate him. I accept that JF 17 block 3 is inferior to SU-30 MKI. But JF 17 block 3 has PL-15E which is having range of 145 kms(Let's take it for the sake of Argument). So I guess in terms of overall BVR range ,JF 17 block 3 has a Slight edge(If we take this claim of Pakistan Seriously atleast for once)

Other than that SU-30 MKI is superior in every aspect. I want to see Super Sukhoi happen, I want SU-30 MKI to have MAWS and get new BVRs(Astra MK-2)in it and finally we can close the Gap between JF 17 block 3 and SU-30 MKI.

THESIS THORON

Country flag
It's not about Blindly Believing what the Other Side thinks. It's about Knowing what your enemy is thinking and never underestimate him. I accept that JF 17 block 3 is inferior to SU-30 MKI. But JF 17 block 3 has PL-15E which is having range of 145 kms(Let's take it for the sake of Argument). So I guess in terms of overall BVR range ,JF 17 block 3 has a Slight edge(If we take this claim of Pakistan Seriously atleast for once)

Other than that SU-30 MKI is superior in every aspect. I want to see Super Sukhoi happen, I want SU-30 MKI to have MAWS and get new BVRs(Astra MK-2)in it and finally we can close the Gap between JF 17 block 3 and SU-30 MKI.
bruh, you know that there is huge difference between real range and NEZ range.

and on top of that mki is supermavuerable + has fukin huge jamming pods

Super Flanker

Country flag
bruh, you know that there is huge difference between real range and NEZ range.

and on top of that mki is supermavuerable + has fukin huge jamming pods
I am not emphasizing on the real range or the NEZ. I am emphasizing on the Overall Missile range of PL-15E (Export Version) Which is 145kms according to the Chinese which around 20kms more than any other BVR on SU-30 MKI.
-
Yes SU-30 MKI has 3d Thrust vectoring Which helps it execute Such manouveres Which are possible with purely Aerodynamic mechanisms. I agree with everything else.

Tang

Country flag

SU-30 MKI does have some advantages attributed to it because of its Size. It can carry more Missiles Because it has more weight carrying Capacity and more Pylons than JF 17 block 3. So it has an Edge there. JF 17 block 3 has used Composites in it and is Smaller in size than SU-30 MKI which is probably the only place where it has edge Against SU-30 MKI and maybe even in BVR. JF 17 Block 3 has edge in BVR with its PL-15(I and not sure how true that claim is but let's say that JF 17 has PL-15 with 140+ kms range). SU-30 MKI has R-77 on it. Overall other than that after Super Sukhoi Upgrade, SU-30 MKI will become a very strong Aircraft and We will definitely be able to knock out many PAF Junk fighter 17 and F-16s with it.

Completely wrong

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag

Oh, we overestimate them, believe me. They underestimate us, and their ego has been inflated just because they scored a kill on a Mig-21.

JF-17 Block III has PL-15, correct, but it is not in active service yet. Astra Mk-2 is 150+ km range with a minimum NEZ of 80+ km and is scheduled to be inducted within 2-3 years when JF-17 Block III will be in PAF.

The second part, Chinese BVR (PL-12/SD-10) is reportedly underperforming and nowhere near its original mark. There is no reason to believe PL-15 is going to be effective either.

JF-17 is a cheap, 4th gen light fighter. In an overall fight, it might be able to score a few kills, but it will be the slaughter of PAF in aerial battle if they keep on relying on it.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Okay So now as of 2022 what exactly have the Russians given us in the Name of "Transfer Of Technology"?

We are still assembling these even after 12+ years? Are Raw Materials still being Imported from Russia?

Also by the Way Sukhoi Made in Russia are expensive because we have to Pay license for the licensed Assembling of these Aircrafts and also another reason that our Indian SU-30 MKIs are expensive as compared to Russian ones is that we have India Specific systems like the Aircraft is a Mix of Avionics From Different countries like Israel, France etc so don't blame only HAl's inefficiency here.
SU30 in India is JF 17 in pakistan, we make some parts, rest import.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag

armyofhind

Country flag

In modern air combat, fighter aircraft do not fight against each other by themselves.
They operate as part of a whole system, which has significant components of early warning and electronic warfare.

In our scenario, any MKI CAP or BARCAP will almost always be operating under an AWACS, with radars off. to be switched on only at the final stage of a BVR engagement. That offsets a whole lot of the RCS factor.

The rest of it can be managed with deception jamming, which is already a key component in IAF BVR doctrines as of present. SAP-518s and E/L-8222's are regularly carried by MKI's. Both are capable of deception jamming.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles