Sukhoi PAK FA

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
given , you had deleted your posts so i couldn't find it.
False, someone hacked my account last month, changed my password and deleted 60 of my posts. Hence my absence.

They made AL 41 ,they used its tech in 117, its not like they are starting from scratch. and you need to brush up your definition of research , research is done on existing technology also , why don't you give me a credible source which backs your claim.
You will find a programme history in the following document.

http://www.kommersant.ru/doc.aspx?DocsID=833099

Meanwhile, in early November, has begun accepting applications for re-tender for the engine PAK FA is the second phase. According to Yuri Eliseev, "at this stage in equal measure will be funded two ways - and the" Salute "and" Saturn "- to create a demonstrator, which in 2009 and will determine the winner." Demonstrator - is not necessarily a full-size engine, - said the head of the Salyut .- It is rather a demonstrator of individual units - the turbine, combustor, which should confirm that the new engine will be able to give the required characteristics.
We are still waiting on Salyut and Saturn to bring their "component demonstrators" to fruition. Once they do so, a winner will be announced and phase 2 (design stage) will begin. As was announced at MAKS-2009 the companies are still unable to produce the required components and research continues. As was announced on PAK FA's launch, Putin confirmed problems with the engines still remain.

Control surfaces are the surfaces that move and in PAK FA the whole verticals act as rudders whereas in SU-35 and F-22 only the back part of the vertical acts as Rudder, so you cannot be bloody sure that it won't be more agile than the F-22 or Su-35.
How do I know? The YF-23 lost the ATF because it wasn't as maneuverable as the F-22. PAK FA uses the same concept with even less control surface. It isn't even in the same realm as the Raptor.

none of this BS proves that they will take shortcuts in a mature product the same product that Kopp is talking about.
They aren't anywhere near a mature project that must be ready for low rate production by 2013, point made.

go read the authors comment in the comments section on the same blog , as for allied TACAIR , does allied tacair consists of only france?
I don't waste my time reading comment sections of blogs. As for Allied TACIAR, France consists of it which is headed by Rafale. We aren't going to buy F-35s.

sfx

PAK FA has a frontal RCS of .5m^2, it is LO but hardly a 5th generation stealth. It certainly isn't a match for the F-22. Allied TACAIR would do well to buy more and improved Rafales.
0.5m2 RCS for naked airframe without RAM materials is a very good figure. But it will have RAM also, if you are not aware lol

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
0.5m2 RCS for naked airframe without RAM materials is a very good figure. But it will have RAM also, if you are not aware lol
.5m^2 is what it will be when everything is added, if you are not aware.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
RCS is classified. This was a prototype flight.

Ajai Shukla seems to be stepping the fine line b/w quality and yellow journalism.

@A2R -> if you are experiencing any issue in your account please do let us know. In any case if you want, one of our IT experts can perhaps help you investigate this attack.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
No 0.5m2 is naked airframe RCS before anything if you are not aware ahahaha
No, 0.5m^2 is the final configuration. The naked airframe had too many rivets sticking out of it to be LO.

sfx

No, 0.5m^2 is the final configuration. The naked airframe had too many rivets sticking out of it to be LO.
Airframe rivets dont have anything to do with RCS calculation, because they will be covered in the final configuration. Airframe RCS calculated by removing RAM effect on final shape. Your idea about PAK FA airframe RCS 10 times bigger than SU-27 really show you dont have have a clue about RCS at all lol

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Airframe rivets dont have anything to do with RCS calculation, because they will be covered in the final configuration.
That is why the figure is for the final configuration... duh

Airframe RCS calculated by removing RAM effect on final shape. Your idea about PAK FA airframe RCS 10 times bigger than SU-27 really show you dont have have a clue about RCS at all lol
The Su-27 has a 20m^2 RCS so how can PAK FA be 10 times bigger at .5m^2? That would make it 40 times smaller. Go back to school son, I don't have time to play with kids.

sfx

The Su-27 has a 20m^2 RCS so how can PAK FA be 10 times bigger at .5m^2? That would make it 40 times smaller. Go back to school son, I don't have time to play with kids.

Go get some basic knowledge, you really make me laugh with amount of rubbish you provide lol

SU-27 has a 20m2 RCS fully loaded with weapons.
SU-27 RCS without weapons 5m2.
SU-27 dont have any kind of RAM and have rivets.

According to you PAK-FA final RCS is 0.5m2. Lets assume that PAK FA dont have any RAM composite at all(LOL) but only RAM paint that reduce RCS by 20 times and covering rivets. Lets remove RAM effect from calculation, then we will receive end result, that according to you, PAK FA airframe(dont forget we even assumed that PAK FA wont use composites at all) WITHOUT RIVETS has 2 times more RCS than SU-27 WITH RIVETS. ahaha dude, nonsense you provide are really of the highest standard ahaha

p2prada

1. PAKFA still has all the testing instruments sticking out of the front of the cockpit, like accelerometers.
2. PAKFA does not have a proper RAM coating.
3. PAKFA rivets are still not covered with jackets.
4. PAKFA's canopy still needs work.
5. PAKFA's inlets could be modified later with a newer engine, who knows? So, this may still need work.
6. There are still so many aspects of PAKFA that needs work since it is only a prototype.

With all of this it still boasts a RCS of 0.5m2. We sure have something here? Or do you still want to say the "RCS" measured was for a completely ready PAKFA with RAM, new canopies, new engine, new inlets, new everything only in 2010. Seriously. Sometimes you completely criticize and praise Russia in the same statement.

p2prada

Where did you get these stats from? I'd wager PAK-FA is VLO from frontal arcs.
These stats are questionable at best. The information came from a "civilian" official from the Indian Ministry of Defence who said that the RCS of PAKFA is 0.5m^2 as against the Su-30MKIs RCS of 20m^2. He said he got it from a Russian technician. They provide no info about the radar used, aspect of the fighter, distance from radar, power used, the attenuation in the atmosphere, nothing.

Armand is simply a Russian critic.

Last edited:

ppgj

These stats are questionable at best. The information came from a "civilian" official from the Indian Ministry of Defence who said that the RCS of PAKFA is 0.5m^2 as against the Su-30MKIs RCS of 20m^2. He said he got it from a Russian technician. They provide no info about the radar used, aspect of the fighter, distance from radar, power used, the attenuation in the atmosphere, nothing.

Armand is simply a Russian critic.
even carlo kopp in his article states an RCS of 0.0125-0.05 m2. this, he says is based on the statements SUKHOI people. i have pointed this out Armand in one of my previous posts. he goes on 0.5 m2 for i don't know what reasons!!

ajai shukla's article mentions 1/40th of SU 30 MKI whereas carlo kopp's article talks about 1/40 the SU 35 BS.

going by sukhoi bureau, considering - they are using SU 35 as a platform for testing out PAKFA avionics, i tend to go with carlo kopp - though RCS figure itself is still speculative.

StealthSniper

The RCS of an aircraft has never been officially given or published anywhere and is usually classified information. We can only get speculative information of RCS and even then many factors might come into play if we get some data of RCS of an aircraft. When someone keeps on mentioning the RCS to be 0.5m^2 when we don't have any data or confirmation behind it is ridiculous and we cannot base anything concrete about the aircraft that is in a prototype stage where many things like (engine, airframe, composites, and radar absorbing materials) can still added on or incorporated in said aircraft.

I think whoever mentions the RCS to be 0.5m^2 needs to take a step back and think of where the number came from and what that number is referring to before you have any credibility in the discussion you engage in.

notinlove

False, someone hacked my account last month, changed my password and deleted 60 of my posts. Hence my absence.
My sincere sympathies are with you , but this is not worth wasting our time over.

You will find a programme history in the following document.

http://www.kommersant.ru/doc.aspx?DocsID=833099

We are still waiting on Salyut and Saturn to bring their "component demonstrators" to fruition. Once they do so, a winner will be announced and phase 2 (design stage) will begin. As was announced at MAKS-2009 the companies are still unable to produce the required components and research continues. As was announced on PAK FA's launch, Putin confirmed problems with the engines still remain.
Lets see what you wrote in you previous post
False, the competition hasn't even started due to lack of funding. MMPP Salyut is the leading contender with their planned 6 stage AL-31FM3-2.
You give me a 2007 link in which two companies are at each others throat and you tell me the competition hasn't even started yet. moreover the aircraft will still deliver a credible performance even with the current engines.

How do I know? The YF-23 lost the ATF because it wasn't as maneuverable as the F-22. PAK FA uses the same concept with even less control surface. It isn't even in the same realm as the Raptor.
Wow, This one was a gem an absolute masterstroke clap
You are comparing YF-23 to PAK FA ,
WAKE UP and come out of your cocoon
Here are some reason why PAK FA is more agile than YF-23

1. Do you see any horizontal tails on the YF-23? No . because those canted tailfins you are talking about performed the role of both vertical and horizontal tailfins , in effect reducing the control surface area which is not so in the PAK FA.

2.do you see any TVC leave alone 3D-TVC on the YF-23

3.You see those engines placed far apart in the PAK FA ,They provide a lot more authority over control when combined with TVC as compared to the F-22 , leave alone the YF-23 , it didn't even have any TVC

4.You see that huge tunnel in the fuselage between the engines that provides significan Lift , similar to the wings.

5. Do you see any movable LERX on the YF-23 or for that matter on the F-22 or for that matter on the Su-35?

6.look at those huge wings , contributing to lower wing loading.

7. The engines of the YF-23 were concealed in effect wastig some of the available thrust , that is not so in the PAK-FA , there is a good reason sukhoi has not gone with concealed engines on the pak-fa and that is not Monetary difficulties(as you fanboys would like to believe), It is aerodynamic advantage.

And oh yeah while you are busy Countering this post , you might also like to explain to us humble mortals , how much less agile was the YF-23 than the F-22 so that it was not even in the REALM of the Raptor..

They aren't anywhere near a mature project that must be ready for low rate production by 2013, point made.
None of this BS Still proves that they will take shortcuts in a mature product, now let us see what kopp actually said
a mature production PAK-FA will produce a significant impact in the post 2015 period
If you were not blinded by your ego you might have seen that kopp has not put a date on the mature product. if anything he is talking about post 2015 and not 2013.

I don't waste my time reading comment sections of blogs.
Due to the fear that you'r BS will be proved wrong and PAK FA will haunt you in your dreams?
As for Allied TACIAR, France consists of it which is headed by Rafale. We aren't going to buy F-35s.
This is the problem with you , you think the whole world revolves around you. Aren't there other countries in ALLIED TACAIR? those that are buying the F-35?

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
My sincere sympathies are with you , but this is not worth wasting our time over.
You brought it up. Fact is I never quoted APA except in the brochure.

You give me a 2007 link in which two companies are at each others throat and you tell me the competition hasn't even started yet. moreover the aircraft will still deliver a credible performance even with the current engines.
They are still at the same stage today.

Wow, This one was a gem an absolute masterstroke clap
You are comparing YF-23 to PAK FA ,
WAKE UP and come out of your cocoon
Wake up yourself guy, the influence of YF-23 is clearly evident in PAK FA.

Here are some reason why PAK FA is more agile than YF-23

1. Do you see any horizontal tails on the YF-23? No . because those canted tailfins you are talking about performed the role of both vertical and horizontal tailfins , in effect reducing the control surface area which is not so in the PAK FA.
Still doesn't change the fact PAK FA's verticals are less than YF-23.

2.do you see any TVC leave alone 3D-TVC on the YF-23
3.You see those engines placed far apart in the PAK FA ,They provide a lot more authority over control when combined with TVC as compared to the F-22 , leave alone the YF-23 , it didn't even have any TVC
Have you missed flight school 101? The wide engine set isn't going to do anything to help the verticle axis which is the problem here. PAK FA can roll all day with those wide engines, but that isn't the problem. With such poor verticals and a wide engine set, the yaw is terrible.

4.You see that huge tunnel in the fuselage between the engines that provides significan Lift , similar to the wings.
It is called the centre-line and no, it doesn't provide significant lift. It creates a vortex which breaks the airflow. This is why fighters try to reduce as much of the engine exposure from the fuselage as possible.

5. Do you see any movable LERX on the YF-23 or for that matter on the F-22 or for that matter on the Su-35?
No, but I've seen it on the Su-34 and that is a flying brick compared to your list of fighters.

6.look at those huge wings , contributing to lower wing loading.
And you think that makes it more maneuverable...

7. The engines of the YF-23 were concealed in effect wastig some of the available thrust , that is not so in the PAK-FA , there is a good reason sukhoi has not gone with concealed engines on the pak-fa and that is not Monetary difficulties(as you fanboys would like to believe), It is aerodynamic advantage.
We've seen their concealed technique... they haven't done it because they can't get a comperable thrust. Just another example of their limitations.

And oh yeah while you are busy Countering this post , you might also like to explain to us humble mortals , how much less agile was the YF-23 than the F-22 so that it was not even in the REALM of the Raptor..
In the subsonic regime, the YF-23 couldn't keep pace with the 22. F-22 is way better at flat turns and could use the TVC in the negative G-turns. PAK FA won't compete in this realm either with such limitations in the vertical control.

None of this BS Still proves that they will take shortcuts in a mature product, now let us see what kopp actually said

If you were not blinded by your ego you might have seen that kopp has not put a date on the mature product. if anything he is talking about post 2015 and not 2013.
He is saying a mature product will be available in the post 2015, meaning when Russia expects to release the serial production which is 2015, duh.

Due to the fear that you'r BS will be proved wrong and PAK FA will haunt you in your dreams?
Due to the plethora of usless comments that don't bear fruit to reality. There is only so much time in the day and too much crap to sort through.

This is the problem with you , you think the whole world revolves around you. Aren't there other countries in ALLIED TACAIR? those that are buying the F-35?
The point is, NATO partners are dropping F-35 orders like hotcakes. Euro-canards will be the backbone of our TACAIR for years to come. If America decides to start exporting F-22, we will want to upgrade.

ppgj

PAKFA has more of F-22 wing influence.

Armand the canted verticle tail fins have been kept small for RCS reduction. if this was a problem, do you think they will compromise on that?? will they be so foolish!!

Have you missed flight school 101? The wide engine set isn't going to do anything to help the verticle axis which is the problem here. PAK FA can roll all day with those wide engines, but that isn't the problem. With such poor verticals and a wide engine set, the yaw is terrible.
you are missing the point that - PAKFA will sport 3D tvc. this along with the tail fins is going to only improve the YAW control that you are talking about. this would be better than even F-22.

It is called the centre-line and no, it doesn't provide significant lift. It creates a vortex which breaks the airflow. This is why fighters try to reduce as much of the engine exposure from the fuselage as possible.
this will greatly help in the pitch control. delta wings always do that. right??

No, but I've seen it on the Su-34 and that is a flying brick compared to your list of fighters.
LERX can act as mini canards!! agree?

why not?? it certainly helps in pitch. 3D TVC and LERX are all only adding to that. yes, PAKFA would be more maneourable than F-22.

if you even give some value to Carlo Kopp, a well researched guy, you can decipher that PAKFA has given importance both to LO and agility unlike F-22 with more emphasis on RCS factor.

We've seen their concealed technique... they haven't done it because they can't get a comperable thrust. Just another example of their limitations.
they are waiting for the 5th gen engine. they have time still to acheive that. the prototypes will undergo lot of tests before getting operational.

AFT part of PAKFA itself may change. who knows? even otherwise, the idea itself is not just LO design but super agility. philosophies are different.

In the subsonic regime, the YF-23 couldn't keep pace with the 22. F-22 is way better at flat turns and could use the TVC in the negative G-turns. PAK FA won't compete in this realm either with such limitations in the vertical control.
answered above.

IIRC F-22's sport 2D TVC where as PAKFA is going to have 3D.

He is saying a mature product will be available in the post 2015, meaning when Russia expects to release the serial production which is 2015, duh.
well. this - i agree with you. may take a couple of more years than 2015.

notinlove

They are still at the same stage today.
Just because you said so ?
You mean to say those thousands of engineers at saturn and Salyut have been doing nothing but drinking vodka for the past 3 years ?

the influence of Su-35 is also evident in Pak fa , which is at the apex of maneuverability.influence is influence it doesn't define the total performance of an aircraft, every airframe is different and so is its performance.

The tailfins of YF-23 were called ruddervators , because they performed the function of both rudders and elevators , which means they couldn't perform as full fledged verticals , they had to sacrifice some of their rudder characterstics to work as elevators , which is not so in PAK FA the verticals act as dedicated rudders thus giving authority over yaw.

Thrust vectoring doesn't act in roll axis , it acts in pitch and yaw axis.
The thrust vectoring in horizontal plane is called Yaw Axis thrust vectoring . are you telling me yaw axis thrust vectoring has no control over yaw?
Let us try some basic physics shall we , if both nozzles move in left direction, in which direction will the nose of the aircraft move? in the right direction , that is yaw axis thrust vectoring in layman's terms for you.
again here is some more basic physics for you

moment of a force = force x distance between point of application of force and axis of rotation

in this case the axis of rotation is the vertical line passing through the centre of the fuselage, so the further the engines are placed the more the moment will be generated. get it?

Vortex generates lift , so in essence you are contradicting yourself,and as for the significance of the lift generated here are some figures for you
The flat, pancake-like section between the engines acts as an airfoil to provide additional lift, giving the Tomcat an effective wing area about 40% greater than its actual wing dimensions.
http://www.fighter-planes.com/info/f14.htm
40% more wing area means 40 percent less wing loading.

Now you are just trying to derail the topic , first you brought the YF-23 into discussion , now you are trying to bring the su-34 into discussion , just to save your tail.The su 34 has LERX which gives it more maneuverability but it is also heavier , less aerodynamic , less powerful and without 3d tvc which hampers it's maneuverability . how the heck can you compare PAK FA to Su-34.

With this one , you just crossed the realm of uninformed and entered into the realm of stupid.

1.lower wing loading means better takeoff and landing performance
2.lower wing loading means better climb rate
3.lower wing loading means better cruise performance
4.most importantly lower wing loading means higher sustained turn rates.
and not only Pak-fa has large wings it also has centerline tunnel both of which combine to give the PAK FA extremely low wingloading.

still laughing?

Just another example of PHYSICAL limitation and not russian limitations , concealed engine means lesser thrust, Period.Heck Even the american's couldn't get comparable thrust that's why they ditched the YF-23 , moreover concealed engines means no TVC , this also is a physical limitation and not a russian limitation , that's why there aren't any concealed engines on the PAK FA cos russians put more importance on maneuverability.

explained above.

This is what kopp said for which you started criticising him
Therefore, from a technological strategy perspective, the PAK-FA renders all legacy US fighter aircraft, and the F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter, strategically irrelevant and non-viable after the PAK-FA achieves IOC in 2015.
Even if PAK FA Reaches IOC in 2015 without UHF Aesa and with current engines , it will still leave legacy us fighters and F-35 irrelevant , what is the point of contention?

Due to the plethora of usless comments that don't bear fruit to reality. There is only so much time in the day and too much crap to sort through.
If you don't have the time then please don't use that 0.5 m^2 figure , because it is unsubstantiated.

The point is, NATO partners are dropping F-35 orders like hotcakes. Euro-canards will be the backbone of our TACAIR for years to come. If America decides to start exporting F-22, we will want to upgrade.
Isn't this what kopp is saying , that america should start exporting F-22 and Allied Tacair should start updating , he hasn't said anything about your euro canards.

Last edited:

p2prada

Whatever happened to "PAKFA is going to be a heavily modified Flanker."

I thought you said PAKFA is heavily influenced by a Su-27. Today YF-23. Tomorrow F-35. Day after.....

New threads

Articles