Su-30 MKI

Status
Not open for further replies.

p2prada

I am not at all confused, manufacturing and assembling are two different thing. By manufacturing means making things from ground up. Assembling means getting knocked down kits and conneting them. Are you stilll sure that HAL will be "manufacturing".
Yes, manufacturing from ground up. Composites are not MLU. You cannot add composites to a fully build aircraft. Waste of money.

Enlighten me with the bold part.
AWACS capability, ECM, ESM, Aerodynamics. None of these have been well tested without the Israeli datalinks being developed for the 2012 aerospace command. We don't have a network to simulate the RED FLAG exercises. Until then the full potential cannot be harnessed.

There is a difference between having a capability and utilizing that capability.

you are talking about MLU which is planned after the serial production stops.
Production will continue till 2014. Radar, composites and new engine are being designed keeping the 2010 deadline in mind.

If it is not known in public domain then what makes you so confident that "it exists". Especially it is amusing not a single complaint reported till now
That possibility always exist. The Russians have always sucked when it came to after sales support.

International accolades included the "excellent serviceability record" also.
Karnal saab was very meticulous in pointing out our problems with engines and also serviceability.

Stick to one point then deviations will not be there.
Stop being a smart ass.Read my first post again.
The "recurring" complaints will be in plenty as soon as you induct a new platform. Even the F-22 had a lot of software hiccups.

We will need to wait for HAL to finish manufacturing the MKI with better quality control to see how well we can solve such problems.

Not to mention, this was the first time a Russian jet was so extensively modified to fit Indian and Israeli avionics especially for the ECM and ESM suites. So, it would be wise to expect problems.

But, if the problems exist in the engines, then that's serious.

Please point out where I used the word CRASH or in reference to the CRASH.

p2prada

MKI is a new plane in terms of capabilities and it requires learning. Nothing new it still does not makes any sense that how IAF does not have pilots who does not know how to fly the MKI.
Anybody can fly a plane mate. It takes a really talented pilot to know what he can do with the plane. Because of that MKI is strictly a new platform in terms of the capabilities it provides, especially with TVC.

IAF is the first airforce in the world to field TVC. It will take years to master TVC and employ it in dog fights.

Eg: You may know how to ride a bicycle. Right? You may have been doing that for years.
But, do you really, really know what you can do with bicycles.

YouTube - Hull Street BMX Ride

If people do that with bicycles, then imagine what can be done with fighters. Now, imagine what can be done when your fighter gets TVC.

It takes real talent to recognize what you can do with your new capability.

Fighter pilot training is no joke. Its incredibly difficult. MKI is one of the most difficult to fly. It will take years to learn the limits of your aircraft.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Yes, manufacturing from ground up. Composites are not MLU. You cannot add composites to a fully build aircraft. Waste of money.
So what HAL is doing? "manufacturing of assembleling"

AWACS capability, ECM, ESM, Aerodynamics. None of these have been well tested without the Israeli datalinks being developed for the 2012 aerospace command. We don't have a network to simulate the RED FLAG exercises. Until then the full potential cannot be harnessed.
R u in right sense when you typed this sentence? How does aerodynamics depend on data link? ECM is with plane what datalink has to do with it? MKI can still data link between themselves only one has to switch on the radar and other can get inputs with that. So according to you the aerodynamics and ECM will be tested only when data link is available?

Production will continue till 2014. Radar, composites and new engine are being designed keeping the 2010 deadline in mind.
All is for MLU please prove you point with some links.

That possibility always exist. The Russians have always sucked when it came to after sales support.
So you make your opinions based on "possibilities".

Karnal saab was very meticulous in pointing out our problems with engines and also serviceability.
Then how it got accolades for "excellent serviceability record"

Stop being a smart ass.Read my first post again.

The "recurring" complaints will be in plenty as soon as you induct a new platform. Even the F-22 had a lot of software hiccups.

We will need to wait for HAL to finish manufacturing the MKI with better quality control to see how well we can solve such problems.

Not to mention, this was the first time a Russian jet was so extensively modified to fit Indian and Israeli avionics especially for the ECM and ESM suites. So, it would be wise to expect problems.

But, if the problems exist in the engines, then that's serious.

Please point out where I used the word CRASH or in reference to the CRASH.
So what exactly your post says? You are are just running around with some assumptions which you got from god only knows where. like relating it with "some problems in F 22" "HAL has to do the manufacturing" "problems with ECM and ESM suits" "engines' every where. Seriously I don't have greatest understanding like you. Please enlighten this poor soul with your wisdom.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Anybody can fly a plane mate. It takes a really talented pilot to know what he can do with the plane. Because of that MKI is strictly a new platform in terms of the capabilities it provides, especially with TVC.

IAF is the first airforce in the world to field TVC. It will take years to master TVC and employ it in dog fights
This is not the first day MKI flied it is flying and not "everybody" is flying it. What do you mean by "years" is there any fixed formula for this. Stop running the rhetoric.
Eg: You may know how to ride a bicycle. Right? You may have been doing that for years.
But, do you really, really know what you can do with bicycles.

If people do that with bicycles, then imagine what can be done with fighters. Now, imagine what can be done when your fighter gets TVC.

It takes real talent to recognize what you can do with your new capability.
What does this apply? Stop co relating different things.

Fighter pilot training is no joke. Its incredibly difficult. MKI is one of the most difficult to fly. It will take years to learn the limits of your aircraft.
Wow I think you only know this and IAF is dumb not to know this and it is giving pilots to fly it take it to exercises without giving them proper "YEARS of training"

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Tezpur base soon to get Sukhois - Guwahati - Cities - The Times of India

GUWAHATI: IAF's Tezpur base will soon get Sukhoi fighter planes as part of its upgradation plans to meet challenges from China.

Sources said the newly-raised squadron of Su-30 MKI will arrive at the renovated base after June 15 when the renovated runway becomes operational.

This will be the first batch of Su-30MKI fighters to be deployed near the disputed Sino-Indian border in the north-eastern sector of the Eastern Air Command. Earlier, the Tezpur base housed a squadron of MIG 21 which was shifted to Chabua in 2007.

A source said the Su-30MKI is likely to be fitted with air-to-ground Brahmos missile with more than 900 combat radius enabling it to strike all major cities in southwest China. :eek:

Defence sources said the induction of Su-30MKI would greatly tilt the balance in favour of India in view of China's superior ground troops in the sector.

Spread over 21 acre, :eek: the Tezpur airbase was put under repair after the MiG-21s were shifted to Chabua. The infrastructure has also been upgraded. "The renovated runway is likely to be inaugurated by mid-June for inducting the Su-30MKI squadron," said Tezpur-based defence spokesman Col R Kalia.

Located less than 350 km from the McMohan Line that divides India and China, the air base was made a MiG-operational flying unit for training young officers before they were commissioned as full-fledged pilots as tension between India and China eased after 1970.

Sources said India has strategic air bases at Baghdogra, Hashimara and Cooch Behar to counter China. Other important bases in this sector are located in Chabua, Guwahati, Jorhat, Kalaikunda and Agartala.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Sukhoi crash probe narrows down to two systems onboard | NewsX

"Basically, the (probe into the cause of the) accident appears to have narrowed down to two systems. The first is the Flight Control System and the other, which probably caused the death of the pilot, is the ejection system as far as the rear cockpit is concerned," IAF Chief designate Air Marshal P V Naik said in the capital on Wednesday.
"Crash data recorder, which records the details of the crash and its chip have to be analysed. We have sent it to the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM). Unless that analysis comes, we won't be able to say this or that (cause of mishap)," Naik said.

On the possibility of problems in the figher aircraft's rear cockpit's ejection seat, he said, "as far as the ejection seat is concerned, we have to analyse that data, see the trajectory of the seat and the aircraft and only then we can come to certain conclusions."

p2prada

So what HAL is doing? "manufacturing of assembleling"
We are doing both. Russia will build 90 MKIs. India will build 140.
Out of these 140, some are semi-knock down kits, some are fully knock down kits, while the rest are to be made ground up. I don't know the numbers though.

R u in right sense when you typed this sentence? How does aerodynamics depend on data link? ECM is with plane what datalink has to do with it? MKI can still data link between themselves only one has to switch on the radar and other can get inputs with that. So according to you the aerodynamics and ECM will be tested only when data link is available?
Everything. Datalinks are a force multiplier. Plus the induction of AWACS+datalink+MKI combination will be deadly. But, we recently received the AWACS while the datalink will only be operational from 2012.

Aerodynamics does not relate as much to datalink. I added that word only to indicate that the MKIs aerodynamics is not completely exploited. Don't forget we have only around 60 MKIs. It will take years of experience to learn its full capabilities.

All is for MLU please prove you point with some links.
You can call it MLU since MKI production is stretched to 10 years. But, the MLUs are added during production itself. Especially when the ground up MKIs are made.

So you make your opinions based on "possibilities".
More smart a** comments. Let me re-post your own post
Sukhois resume flying, nearly a month after crash - India - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: The frontline Sukhoi Su-30 MKI combat jets of the Indian Air Force have resumed flying nearly a month after the entire fleet was grounded following the crash of one of the aircraft that broke a 12-year accident-free record, an official said.

The aircraft are again being flown even as a 20-member team of Russian experts have been conducting checkups on them.

"The aircraft conducted a sortie last weekend," a senior Indian Air Force official said, but did not elaborate.

He, however, confirmed that the Russian team summoned to inspect the fleet is carrying on with the checks, inspecting the aircrafts' airframe and systems.

The IAF grounded its fleet of approximately 55 Russian-origin Su-30s after one of the aircraft crashed last week. Generally, an entire fleet is not grounded if an aircraft of a particular type crashes.
[*]In the case of the Su-30, however, there have been "recurring complaints" by pilots about problems with the jet.

The grounding of the Su-30 fleet has given rise to the alarming possibility of "structural faults" with the aircraft.

In a blot on its otherwise unblemished record, a Su-30 MKI crashed in Jaisalmer April 30, killing the co-pilot. The pilot, Wing Commander S.V. Munje, and the co-pilot, Wing Commander P.S. Narah, managed to bail out in time but Narah was killed after he was apparently hit by the falling debris of the aircraft.

Ironically, Narah belonged to the IAF's Directorate General of Inspections and Safety and was putting the aircraft through its annual safety checks.

The aircraft had taken off from the Lohegaon air base in Pune on a routine sortie and crashed at 10.30 a.m. while returning to its base.

The IAF operates three squadrons of the jet, some of which were bought in a fly-away condition from its Russian manufacturer while the others were manufactured under licence by state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).

It was not immediately clear to which of these categories the crashed jet belonged.

The Su-30 has won universal acclaim from the air forces of the US, Britain and France whenever it has been fielded against them in war games. Eight Su-30s had participated in the prestigious Red Flag exercise with the US Air Force at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, last year and had more than held their own against the US' F/A-18 and F-16 combat jets.

That's where I got the "recurring complaints" from. If you still have problems go speak to the author of that article.

Then how it got accolades for "excellent serviceability record"
OK. Mister wiseguy. Can you please tell me why IAF will show off the maintenance procedures to other airforces?

All the US saw was the MKI flew far and was always in the air. That does not prove anything except for the fact that IAF went to Red flag with enough preparation.

So what exactly your post says? You are are just running around with some assumptions which you got from god only knows where. like relating it with "some problems in F 22" "HAL has to do the manufacturing" "problems with ECM and ESM suits" "engines' every where. Seriously I don't have greatest understanding like you. Please enlighten this poor soul with your wisdom.
Fighters the most advanced technological invention in the world. What makes you think they are perfect? Integration of different components from different countries to this degree has been achieved for the first time in the last 50 years. What makes you think problems won't occur?

Your previous link says the FCS failed. That's why the MKI crashed. MKIs are not perfect. There will be an umpteen number of unreported problems.

Same with the F-22, F-35, Rafale, EFT, SH, Viper etc. Nothing is perfect.

johnq

Question relating to cause of Su-30 accident

I have a question for the Su-30MKI experts, in relation to the recent accident.

How do we know that the malfunction happened in the fly-by-wire software, and that it wasn't a mechanical failure of the control surfaces or the thrust-vectoring engines? Or is it just another case of the press publishing without full knowledge?

The reason I ask is, when I first read about the accident, about how the aircraft continuously turned in nose down direction, I thought it must be a failure of a thrust-vectoring nozzle or a control surface. Because if a control surface got stuck in the wrong position, or the thrust-vectoring nozzle got stuck in its downward pointed position, then that is what would happen, i.e. the aircraft would turn out of control in a certain direction. Now if the thrust-vector nozzle were to fail, I guess you may be still able to save the aircraft be shutting down both engines, re-igniting the engines one at a time to see which one had failed, and then running only the engine with the functional nozzle in non-vector mode. But if one of the other control surfaces jammed in a certain position, it would become much more difficult.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
We are doing both. Russia will build 90 MKIs. India will build 140.
Out of these 140, some are semi-knock down kits, some are fully knock down kits, while the rest are to be made ground up. I don't know the numbers though.
Are you saying that we will be "manufacturing" the whole plane STILL think about it.

Everything. Datalinks are a force multiplier. Plus the induction of AWACS+datalink+MKI combination will be deadly. But, we recently received the AWACS while the datalink will only be operational from 2012.

Aerodynamics does not relate as much to datalink. I added that word only to indicate that the MKIs aerodynamics is not completely exploited. Don't forget we have only around 60 MKIs. It will take years of experience to learn its full capabilities.
This is a useless argument to say at least according to you then IAF will not at all be able to learn at all. Because pilots will keep getting promoted/retired and there will be some one always who will not have "years of experience" of flying. And you will keep peddling the same line.

You can call it MLU since MKI production is stretched to 10 years. But, the MLUs are added during production itself. Especially when the ground up MKIs are made.
Prove it with some links.

More smart a** comments. Let me re-post your own post

That's where I got the "recurring complaints" from. If you still have problems go speak to the author of that article.
What is the "recurring complaint"? And why till now not a single report came regarding this? STILL not able to provide any proof of it.

OK. Mister wiseguy. Can you please tell me why IAF will show off the maintenance procedures to other airforces?

All the US saw was the MKI flew far and was always in the air. That does not prove anything except for the fact that IAF went to Red flag with enough preparation.
:rofl: Are you in right sense when you typed this? Are you trying to say me others gone there for time pass?

Fighters the most advanced technological invention in the world. What makes you think they are perfect? Integration of different components from different countries to this degree has been achieved for the first time in the last 50 years. What makes you think problems won't occur?
This great theoretical sentence still does not explains how the plane is able to fly without a single issue.

Your previous link says the FCS failed. That's why the MKI crashed. MKIs are not perfect. There will be an umpteen number of unreported problems.

Same with the F-22, F-35, Rafale, EFT, SH, Viper etc. Nothing is perfect.
Another example of jumping in to conclusion on your own.

p2prada

MOD EDIT: I requested you not to use a particular word and you are not listening now onwards no post will be entertained

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Renovated, Tezpur IAF base ready to take Sukhois

The Indian Air Force base at Tezpur in northern Assam, which also has the headquarters of the Army’s Four Corps responsible for protecting India’s border with China in Arunachal Pradesh, is becoming a major hub for Sukhoi fighter planes.

Renovation of the Tezpur IAF base has been already completed, and the first batch of Sukhoi fighters will arrive on June 15, when the Air Force formally declares the base reopened. This incidentally will be the first squadron of Su-30MKI fighters to move so close to the Chinese border, which is hardly about 150 kms from Tezpur.

Tezpur, which was till 2007 the most important training base for young officers of MiG21 aircraft of the Indian Air Force, had assumed prominence during the Chinese aggression of 1962, when the Chinese had advanced towards the town after taking control of Tawang and Bomdila in Arunachal Pradesh.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Sukhoi set for Assam landing

The basing of Sukhoi aircraft in Tezpur — a second Sukhoi squadron is to be based in Chhabua, also in Assam — is in keeping with a policy in which India’s military has been beefing up assets near its borders with China. It began in Ladakh, where the western air command, revived two airfields, Daulat Beg Oldi and Chushul, and has continued in the Northeast.
Runways were being extended from 9,000 to 11,000ft. The Sukhoi base in Tezpur will be raised over two months. The chief of the eastern air command, Air Marshal S.K. Bhan, will preside over a simple ceremony to welcome the four Sukhois that will fly out from their original home in Lohegaon, Pune.

Pune currently has three squadrons of the Sukhoi, one of which is moving to Tezpur. Two squadrons are based in Bareilly in Uttar Pradesh.

A squadron in the IAF usually has between 18 to 20 aircraft.

An air force source said there were currently five squadrons of Sukhoi 30 Mki aircraft, one of which was yet to be fully raised. In five years, the air force is expected to have more than 200 Sukhoi 320 Mki {Dunno what is this} in its fleet.

Two more IAF bases in Halwara, near Ludhiana, in Punjab and Jodhpur in Rajasthan are to be converted for the Sukhoi in two years.

Rage

DFI TEAM
HUMS For Su-30MKI

Courtesy of: the Trishul Blogspot

The Indian Air Force (IAF) adopted a multi-pronged approach to customise the Su-30MKI to the IAF’s qualitative requirements and enhance its operational reliability and serviceability, especially once it became clear that Russia was perfectly willing to incorporate systems and sub-systems of non-Russia origin. One of the main areas of thrust was predictive maintenance through HUMS.

For acquiring this capability, the IAF joined forces with South Africa’s Aerospace Monitoring And Systems (Pty) Ltd (AMS), a high-technology electronics engineering company that designs, develops, manufactures and supports specialised proprietary Aircraft Monitoring and Data Recording Systems. AMS has serviced this specific niche of the global aerospace and defence market since 1984. Predictive maintenance means the on- and off-board processing of aircraft sub-systems data, resulting in an accurate, conclusive indication of the health and usage status of various airborne systems. The heart of any health-and-usage monitoring system (HUMS) is a Data Acquisition Unit (DAU), capable of handling hundreds of input signals, supported by powerful processing hardware and software. The HUMS not only has the capability to monitor almost every aircraft system and sub-system, including the avionics sub-systems, it can also act as an engineering data recorder. For the Su-30MKI, AMS was contracted for providing total HUMS solutions, starting with the definition of the IAF’s qualitative requirements, followed by the provision (development and implementation), integration and support phases. AMS’ total HUMS package, as installed on the Su-30MKI, includes the following:

• The Crash Survivable Memory Unit (CSMU), whose prime mission is to save aircraft data and cockpit voice information in a crash-protected, non-volatile memory for post-incident/accident investigations. The CSMU receives aircraft flight data from a DAU on an ARINC 717 Harvard Bi-phase communications channel, and stores the data in a crash-protected memory module in the CSMU. The CSMU also records two channels of cockpit voice information, and stores the information is the crash-protected memory module in the CSMU.

• The DAU, whose prime mission is to acquire, process and store aircraft flight data and cockpit voice data, and forward the aircraft data to the CSMU on an ARINC 717 FDR channel. Recorded aircraft flight data and cockpit voice data is stored in non-volatile flash disk memory in the DAU for post-flight analysis of Su-30MKI component health and usage, and debriefing.

• The airborne Flight Data Recorder (FDR) system, which consists of a DAU, CSMU, and a Maintenance Panel Unit (MPU). The FDR ground support system consists of a Flightline System (FLS) and a CSMU Control Unit (CCU). The prime mission of the FDR system is to record and process aircraft data and cockpit voice information. A recorded sub-set of flight and voice data is stored in crash protected memory for post incident/accident investigations. Recorded flight data in the DAU is used for post flight analysis of aircraft component health and usage. The prime mission of the FLS is to download data from the on-board DAU and retrieve modify the DAU configuration data. The FLS is a ruggedised notebook computer that can be transported to the flight line and operated under harsh exposed conditions. All inputs in the field are via a touch-sensitive screen using graphic-based MMI screens. The FLS can download selected flight and voice data from the DAU. The FLS also has an external keyboard and mouse that allow easier use under office conditions using a special interface loom.

Fatigue in metallic structures is associated with cyclic loading, and can occur at low stress levels which would not otherwise cause failure when applied as a single event. Repeated loading causes cumulative damage. A structure will absorb cumulative damage from fluctuating loads, which eventually leads to the formation of small, detectable cracks. This is termed the life-to-crack initiation of the aircraft and in certain circumstances the airframe life is considered to have been expended when these first cracks start to appear. Nevertheless, aircraft can be operated past this time, into the so-called crack-growth phase, albeit with different maintenance and inspection intervals and procedures. With modern fracture mechanics techniques, it is possible to predict and predict/correct crack growth in almost any geometrical configuration. This in turn allows one to extend the life of an airframe beyond the threshold of crack initiation. This approach, along with damage tolerant repair procedures, can safely extend the life of an airframe beyond its previously-anticipated phasing out date. Finally, the cracks start to grow rapidly, leading to fracture. Tolerance to cyclic loading varies widely for different materials, with certain fracture-tough steels exhibiting excellent fatigue properties. However, the choice of material is often dictated more by the weight for static strength.

Even with the ever-increasing employment of composite materials, aircraft structures are still predominantly made up of aluminium and titanium alloys, and this brings up the issue of structural fatigue caused by fluctuating loads. For fracture-tough steel structures, designing for low mean- and fluctuating stress levels can give a near-infinite life. Unlike these steels, high-strength aluminium alloy structures cannot be designed for infinite life without considerable costs in structure weight. Any fluctuating stress imposes cumulative damage, which will eventually lead to fracture and failure. Weight efficient aircraft structures therefore have a finite life. The basic aims for the Su-30MKI’s aircraft fatigue monitoring and management system are generally:

• Verification of the structural integrity and longevity of new aircraft.

• Life monitoring, maintenance, and safe life extension of aging aircraft.

Interest in the monitoring and managing of aircraft structural fatigue has greatly increased globally over the last two decades. Fleet operators who are considering the implementation of a HUMS programme should take cognisance of why this is so. Notwithstanding finite structural life, the much higher rate of advance in avionics technology, relative to aerodynamic, airframe and engine technologies, has meant that aircraft “obsolescence” is now determined more by the avionics fit than the performance and efficiency of the airframe/engine combination. This is particularly the case for military aircraft. Because of rapid ageing of avionics technology, avionics upgrades to in-service aircraft have become the norm. These can take the form of frequent small upgrades, or major refits once or twice during its service life. A new engine and airframe can account for 40-50% of the total cost of a new combat aircraft, while adding little of consequence to its operational capabilities. Increasingly, cost-conscious air forces and other fleet operators are opting to retain existing airframes and engines and to spend their money on capability-enhancing equipment. An extreme example is the B-52H aircraft, which entered service in the late 1950s and is currently expected to remain in service up to the year 2040, a life of 80 years!

In light of the above it is clear that the airframe is the limiting factor in aircraft longevity, and this in turn determines the economic viability, or otherwise, of any upgrade programmes that might be envisaged. The remaining airframe life is a decisive factor in aircraft upgrade decisions. Therefore there is an increasing demand for accurate tracking of life consumption. Many operators acquire used rather than new aircraft as a matter of policy, and the availability of accurate remaining life estimates can greatly increase the resale value of an aircraft fleet. As part of the initial design process, an aircraft manufacturer will assume a flight loading spectrum to which the aircraft will be subjected to during service, and design for a specified life on the basis of that spectrum. However, changing roles and missions may, to a greater or lesser degree, invalidate the initial assumptions. In the case of military (and particularly combat) aircraft it is quite possible that the roles they are eventually called upon to fulfil, and missions they are then required to carry out, will be very different to those originally envisaged. Initial estimates of fatigue life are then invalid, and a great deal of uncertainty is introduced into fleet management. The objective of fatigue monitoring in HUMS is to reduce these uncertainties. There are cases where the initial life estimates have been extended by 50% as a result of more accurate measurement and monitoring programs implemented in service.

In Output-Based Contracting (OBC) an aircraft supplier is no longer paid for a once-off delivery of systems, but instead is contracted to provide a service, for example flying hours. There is currently a marked trend towards this type of contracting, which brings greater contract risk while at the same time also holding out the prospect of higher financial returns. Minimising risks, while increasing operating efficiencies and maximising the life of the aircraft, poses great challenges. The aircraft provider can meet these challenges by including fatigue monitoring as part of general health- and usage monitoring. Fatigue monitoring can protect the service provider from the consequences of unduly severe usage, by providing a record of such usage and the impact thereof on the structural life of the aircraft. Output-based contracting exposes the aircraft service provider to higher levels of risk. One major risk is that the client’s usage of the aircraft will not correspond to that assumed by the contractor at the time of initial costing. For example, it is quite possible that different missions with more demanding mission profiles could be imposed during the life of the aircraft. Furthermore, flight limitations may be exceeded more frequently during an given mission. These eventualities would impact negatively on the cost of providing the service contracted for. Monitoring will provide clear indications as to whether the aircraft is being operated within its contractual limitations and provide recourse to the supplier.

The aircraft operator/end-user can use health-and-usage monitoring to minimise contractual risk. But after this, aircraft maintenance operations can be managed so as to improve profitability. If costs are estimated conservatively at the time of bidding, and if realised costs can be minimised during the service period by intelligent management, the higher reward commensurate with higher risk will be obtained. A more accurate knowledge of the probable condition of the aircraft can allow on-condition maintenance, as opposed to unnecessarily frequent and therefore more expensive scheduled teardowns and inspections. OBC requires that a given number of flying hours are to be provided per month. Aircraft availability is therefore a major factor. Anticipation of problems via fatigue monitoring (and general systems condition monitoring) allows early corrective action to be taken, with beneficial effects on availability. Less aircraft are then required to fulfil the contractual obligations.

Initially at the OEM the focus is on methods for fatigue and fracture mechanics technology in the design of durable, damage-tolerant aircraft structures. Aircraft manufacturers generate and maintain Fatigue and Stress Corrosion Manuals. Once the aircraft has been in service for some time, the operator will focus on the extended safe use of aging aircraft: The applicable technologies have to do with the basic fatigue and fracture behaviour of structural metallic materials. For the Su-30MKI, methods have been developed by the IAF for the following:

• Fatigue loading spectra;

• Fatigue analysis methods;

• Material fatigue behaviour;

• Fracture mechanics;

• Damage tolerance analysis and testing of redundant metallic aircraft structures;

• Fatigue crack growth analysis;

• Crack growth, residual strength analyses, and aircraft structural integrity programmes;

• Ageing aircraft issues.

—Prasun K. Sengupta

TRISHUL: HUMS For Su-30MKI

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
IAF moving Sukhoi base to northeast to thwart Chinese threat

A defence spokesperson said four multi-role strike fighter jets would land June 15 at the Indian Air Force (IAF) base in Tezpur, about 185 km north of Assam's main city of Guwahati.

"Four Sukhoi 30 MKI fighter jets would land first and soon it would be a full squadron comprising of 18 aircraft," defence spokesperson Colonel R. Kalia said.

luckyy

anybody having idea how many SU-30MKI IAF having presently out of 230 ordered ?

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
resently after the su-30 crash , it was news that IAF has grounded all 55 su-30mki in their fleet....that's what the conffusion is...
that was the batch supplied by HAL assembly plants. The first batch of kits that came from IAPO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

Articles