Stumpp Schuele & Somappa Defence LTD

WolfPack86

Country flag
[DEFEXPO 2020] New Series of Sniper and Assault Rifles from SSS Defense
After youā€™ve been to dozens of defense expos all around the globe, you donā€™t really expect to see anything new and exciting. The time when ā€œbig revealsā€ of new products were done at exhibitions are almost gone, there is the internet for that. And DEFEXPO was no exception until I walked into a booth of SSS Defense.

If you never heard about this company, donā€™t worry, I never heard about it either. But their product line was extremely impressive, letā€™s take a closer look at some of the guns they showcased.

Fist of all, there was a family of P-72 assault rifles: P-72 Carbine with a 10-inch barrel, P-72 DMR with 18 or 20-inch barrels and P-72 Rapid Engagement Combat Rifle (RECR, pronounced ā€œwreckerā€) with a 16-inch barrel.

According to the SSS Defense catalog, P-72 Carbine is ā€œavailable in 7.62Ɨ39 and 5.56Ɨ45ā€ and RECR ā€œis available in the powerful 7.62Ɨ39 and 7.62Ɨ51 NATO chambering. The 16-inch, super-light-contour barrel helps to keep weight to a minimum. The barrel is free-floated in the one-piece monolithic upper, and the rifle utilizes a short-stroke gas piston system with a rotating boltā€.

But that is not all. At DEFEXPO 2020 SSS Defense also presented two bolt action sniper rifles: ā€œViperā€ chambered for 7.62Ɨ51

Viperā€ sniper rifle

and ā€œSaberā€ chambered for .338 Lapua Magnum.

Saberā€ sniper rifle

Unfortunately, all of the weapons were bolted to the wall, so there was no way to see if those are functional weapons or just prototypes or mock-ups. But without any doubt, the design of P-72 looks very promising ā€“ with an adjustable stock which looks very similar to ACR, M-LOK slots for Picatinny rails, ambidextrous safety/selector it certainly follows all the latest trends in the small arms design.

P-72 rifle

Talking to a lot of local small arms experts, I confirmed that the SSS Defense display was a complete surprise for everyone. It would be interesting to see what the future holds for ā€œViperā€, ā€œSaberā€ and P-72. Letā€™s hope that the troubled history of indigenous Indian small arms development wonā€™t affect the future of those weapons.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles