Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
my uncles who had served in the IA says that the SLRs provided to them were capable of firing fullauto in addition to the semi auto fire and had the 3 modes likr S,A,R at the selector.This info was contrradictory tto my knowledge that except fn1cs all otherr sslrs were restricted to semi auuto only.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
cheek guard, does make difference......................
Does the cheek guard bring a difference in the close quarter and urban encounter scenarios where soldiers tend to take aimed shots less and high volume burst fires more from hip or shoulders without stressing
Much on marksmanship ?I am asking this coz I had seen lot of spraying type firing in TV which happens to occur in Iraq and Syria where the exact spot of opponents are not visible. Yes these cheek guards are useful in long distance engagements where you could see the enemy and will get enough time to put a bullet between his eyes.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It does difference, In CQB very much ..

Even if doesn't it does no harm..

Does the cheek guard bring a difference in the close quarter and urban encounter scenarios where soldiers tend to take aimed shots less and high volume burst fires more from hip or shoulders without stressing.Much on marksmanship ?I am asking this coz I had seen lot of spraying type firing in TV which happens to occur in Iraq and Syria where the exact spot of opponents are not visible. Yes these cheek guards are useful in long distance engagements where you could see the enemy and will get enough time to put a bullet between his eyes.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Does the cheek guard bring a difference in the close quarter and urban encounter scenarios where soldiers tend to take aimed shots less and high volume burst fires more from hip or shoulders without stressing
Much on marksmanship ?I am asking this coz I had seen lot of spraying type firing in TV which happens to occur in Iraq and Syria where the exact spot of opponents are not visible. Yes these cheek guards are useful in long distance engagements where you could see the enemy and will get enough time to put a bullet between his eyes.
Alby, it will provide shooter to come easily within the sight/optics line of shooting. All the soldier has to do is to put his cheek to the cheek guard and he will be on the line of the shooting/aiming.
check this pic

now see this pic with Tavor

Cheek guard also help when, soldier has to aim on the move.

As far as bold part is concern it will depend on the soldiers shooting disciplined, that is why we have three bust mode in INSAS, no point in empty whole magazine on single target and soldier end up short of bullets when it is matter of life and death for him, more particularly same objective can be achieved by firing three bust firing and taking out target.

Now even snipers are using cheek guard to relax and take aim at the target. IMHO it will be helpful in all type of environment, both in close quarter combat and regular war.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Alby, it will provide shooter to come easily within the sight/optics line of shooting. All the soldier has to do is to put his cheek to the cheek guard and he will be on the line of the shooting/aiming.
check this pic

now see this pic with Tavor

Cheek guard also help when, soldier has to aim on the move.

As far as bold part is concern it will depend on the soldiers shooting disciplined, that is why we have three bust mode in INSAS, no point in empty whole magazine on single target and soldier end up short of bullets when it is matter of life and death for him, more particularly same objective can be achieved by firing three bust firing and taking out target.

Now even snipers are using cheek guard to relax and take aim at the target. IMHO it will be helpful in all type of environment, both in close quarter combat and regular war.
Forget about my doubt about the cheek guards as after posting that i too had second time thoughts about the valiidity of my doubt.:)
Is it possible to mount cheek guard on the conventiional AK butts which are either under or sside folding ones ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Presently with folded butt, no..

But if there is fixed butt, Same solution can be used as on INSAS..

Is it possible to mount cheek guard on the conventiional AK butts which are either under or sside folding ones ?
----------------------------
----------------------------

The is very good input, must see..

Last edited by a moderator:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Stock (firearms) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Monte Carlo comb (B) is commonly found on stocks designed for use with scopes, and features an elevated comb to lift the cheek higher, while keeping the heel of the stock low. A cheekpiece (C) is a raised section on the side of the stock, which provides support for the shooter's cheek. There is some confusion between these terms, as the features are often combined, with the raised rollover cheekpiece (D) extending to the top of the stock to form a high Monte Carlo comb.[8][11][12]

sandy_3126

I have never understood why Rifles in Indian forces have incredibly tall scope mounts, from most of videos I have seen of armed forces, cheek weld is non-existent.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The Rifle design philosophy goes back in early late 80s so does optics based on it..

sandy_3126

conventional wisdom says, if you mount optics let it be as close to the barrel as possible and the same was learnt pretty early in WWII

EzioAltaïr

I have never understood why Rifles in Indian forces have incredibly tall scope mounts, from most of videos I have seen of armed forces, cheek weld is non-existent.
The rifles have high scopes to allow for a gap between the gun and the optic. Through the gap, one can view the iron sights clearly, allowing the soldier to use both the optics, or switch to the iron sights if the battery dies, or scope gets damaged, etc.

Foreign forces solve the problem by giving the soldier backup battery. :rolleyes:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
most of the scope and red dots are highter then iron sights therefore cheek mount is necessary. They may not be needed for cowitness sight, but i would say that having adjustable modern cheek guard butt will increase the confidence of soldier, he will fight much better, if he thinks that he has best equipment available.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Where is the ideal position to put scopes in rifles like m4 and akm?ie at the top of the receiver or ar the top of the fore grip ie pretty away from the eye of shooter ,as like the the one in the top pic which was posted by saya

sandy_3126

Where is the ideal position to put scopes in rifles like m4 and akm?ie at the top of the receiver or ar the top of the fore grip ie pretty away from the eye of shooter ,as like the the one in the top pic which was posted by saya
That depends on the eye relief, optical zoom scopes have 2-3.1/2 " eye relief hence the scope needs to be above the action, at a rigid position. Now when it comes to reflex sights like halo, or red dots, these have infinite eye relief, ie you can get a sight picture anywhere you out it on the rifle, hence can be placed on the foregrip too.

above action placement on AK platforms and Insas made on the dust cover is something I dont understand, your scope will not hold zero on the dust cover stamped from a mm thin sheet metal. AK has side mounted optics, as in dragunov's too.

Personally I dont like optics on fore-grip, but then again I am a recreational shooter.

Attached are the pics of red dot optics on my AK,

sandy_3126

most of the scope and red dots are highter then iron sights therefore cheek mount is necessary. They may not be needed for cowitness sight, but i would say that having adjustable modern cheek guard butt will increase the confidence of soldier, he will fight much better, if he thinks that he has best equipment available.
If you put a scope on top of a AK iron sight rest assured you are not moving the sight leaf to anything beyond 100 yards.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Why dont you go for Parabellum Armament AK Scope Mount...

There is no large issue with scope over the dust cover..

sandy_3126

^You do realize how the dustcover is mounted right? 5 bucks says you can rattle the dust cover with your finger tips. Have you used this stuff?

also ak's were designed to receive side mounted scopes

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
No i have not used this, but dust cover movable by finger is new to me..

In INSAS once its placed similar as AKM, Its not movable at all..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles